PDA

View Full Version : WORLD PREMIERE SHOWING OF cockFIGHTERS: THE INTERVIEWS

Underhack
September 25th, 2003, 10:02 AM
WORLD PREMIERE SHOWING OF cockFIGHTERS: THE INTERVIEWS

Stephanie Castillo reports that on Sept. 21, Sunday evening, in Honolulu, her film festival version (the short film and 6 of the interviews - 115 mins.) of cockFIGHTERS: THE INTERVIEWS showed to a sell-out crowd. This World Premiere at the Cinema Paradise Film Festival saw more than 200 people pack the house; she believes 2/3rds of the crowd were cockers and their families who came out in force to see the show.

Thanks to the Honolulu Star-Bulletin's editorial knocking her and her film, the publicity was good and many others in the community came to see what all the fuss was about. Among them were Hawaiian Humane Society folks, Castillo believes; she was approached by one at the end of the film.

A large contingent from the Hawaii Gamefowl Breeders Association also attended and, led by Paul Romias, one of the film's interviewees, stayed behind for a lively Q&A that followed the showing of the film. The group thanked Castillo for her work and expressed their gratitude for what the film has done to help explain what cockers do and are.

"It was impressive to see so many cockers and their families come out. I could feel a little apprehension and nervousness as they gathered in the lobby where other filmgoers were awaiting other films playing in this 9-theatre setting. I think this is perhaps the first time a large group of Hawaii cockers -- some them identifiable by cocker t-shirts and hats -- have gathered in a public place, besides at our Legislature. Many brought their kids and spouses. One woman said her kids were going to learn something because they were the next generation.

"As I sat in the theatre and watched the reactions while the film played, I was pleased by the laughs I heard at the funny parts -- lots of laughs! And also pleased by the attentiveness of this audience. I could feel the involvement of the cockers, some of them quietly commenting to each other when something struck a cord.

"There was hearty applause at the end, and as I came up to the front to invite everyone to a Q&A session at a nearby restaurant, many rushed to thank me. A fellow who identified himself as from the Hawaiian Humane Society shook my hand as he told me who he was, and then said I should now do another film from the other side's point-of-view. I told him that I had no interest in doing that, that anyone wanting to know that side could read it in the papers or in their literature or on the Internet. I said, 'These folks have never spoken up before, and that was more interesting to me, to see what they had to say after decades of silence.' Then as we were walking out he said, 'Well, it's still cruel, no matter what, the birds being strapped with knives,' ......etc.' I said,'Well that's your point of view.' And left it at that. I must say he was polite and not pushy, and I appreciated that; and he watched the whole film. I think it will be impossible for him to deny the images of cockers who are not the demons the **** makes cockers out to be. Hopefully it will have some impact deep in his psyche."

Castillo and the Hawaii GBA folks met for drinks and discussion for more than an hour with a small group of non-cockers who came along. Questions were asked and the cockers expressed their answers, as well as Castillo who answered questions about the film. One gentleman expressed how much he learned from the film and how much his view of the cockers changed by meeting them in person. Clearly from the discussion views and ideas were changed or challenged and also because of this meeting. One of the said what he realized was how much public information is lacking about the cockers and their world.

"They were such sweethearts," one gentleman later told Castillo. 'Really nice folks."

Castillo had two friends in the lobby filming interviews with her video camera as folks were going into the theater -- asking why they were there to see it -- and asking when they came out their reaction. "I wanted to document these reactions and make sure I was getting some feedback," she said.

She also passed out comment forms before the screening and asked folks to fill them out after the showing. She plans to post some of the comments in a separate email.

Anyone wanting to arrange a public showing with this film festival version for the non-cocking public can contact Stephanie at (808) 730-3938. She will be happy to work with you.

BattleGear
September 25th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Underhack, thanks for this very nice story about Steph's film showing in Hawaii. :)

Underhack
September 26th, 2003, 12:11 AM
your welcome battlegear. im glad it went so well for her.she went somewhere most others cockers are not fond of going and that is in the publics eye . she has done real good for us. i hope it takes off even more because the more people see here in the usa we are not demon animal abusers the *** cast us to be the better.

bagwis
August 11th, 2007, 07:28 PM
itaas natin ito, magandang mabasa ng mga kontra-sabong.
cheers!

BLISS Argao
August 11th, 2007, 07:45 PM
SAAN KAYA NATIN MAVIEW ANG FILM NA ITO?

ANGKIBIT
August 11th, 2007, 08:51 PM
This Is A Good Documentary Film For Cockers In The Us,i Have My Mine Last 2005.you Can Have This Video At Sabong Press Usa I Think It Cost $80 In Dvd.

bagwis
August 11th, 2007, 09:25 PM
wala kaya sa youtube nito...hehehehe.

BLISS Argao
August 12th, 2007, 12:12 AM
the best person who can
give us answer is UNDERHACK
but he seems to be
in hibernation now...

devonloch
August 12th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Try to search at YOU TUBE,i've seen it before...

ezil25
August 12th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Heres the link my fellow cockfighters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG8k4xe7XsA

watch and enjoy ..

bagwis
August 12th, 2007, 01:38 AM

watch and enjoy ..
salamat, sir. magandang panoorin ito habang wala pa tayong ginagawa.

BLISS Argao
August 12th, 2007, 01:59 AM

watch and enjoy ..

EZIL25,

THANKS.
IT'S MY FIRST TIME TO SEE J. JUMPER