PDA

View Full Version : Percy Flowers blood in the USA

tonio
March 3rd, 2010, 01:37 AM
Can anybody recommend a breeder of authentic Percy Flowers hatch blood? My uncle Mauro Prieto is looking to buy some.

thanks

alain
March 3rd, 2010, 01:51 AM
Can anybody recommend a breeder of authentic Percy Flowers hatch blood? My uncle Mauro Prieto is looking to buy some.

thanksi think mr. joey lacson of bacolod has that blood ur uncle is looking for

native
March 3rd, 2010, 07:33 AM
i secong the motion joey lacson has percy flower blueface hatch

wina
March 3rd, 2010, 08:42 AM
sir tonio, i went to n carolina last year and had the opportunity to visit the legendary mike "can do" gentry's farm. he's famous for his canadian clarets and albanies but what really caught my interest was his percy flower hatches. what i've learned was percy flower wont sell a feather and i just cant recall how he got those hatches. they come straight comb but here's a peacomb percy flower hatch pic

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss281/laguan_2009/mgentryhatch.jpg?t=1267580338

thanks

anthony0079
March 3rd, 2010, 12:41 PM

thanks

i saw in a magasine Magsaysay has some authentic Percy Flowers too

Tweety-Doo
March 3rd, 2010, 02:34 PM
Anyone here please Post any information a Breeder or a contact information about Percy Flowers Blood here in the U.S.A. Iam also interested in this Bloodline. Any information is appreciated.

Thank you

elijah
March 3rd, 2010, 07:23 PM
up! Anybody knows about his Kelso, Co'z a friend of mine told me that his kelso are from Percy Flowers. i don't know if it is true...:confused: :confused: :confused:

bogoy
March 4th, 2010, 09:18 AM

thanks

Bro Tonio,
When I meet Larry Whitehead in Candelaria last January together
with Bill McNatt. I ask him if he know this breeder
from Pennsylvania who breed some authentic bloodline
he is already 82 yrs. old. Larry responsed that guy was good
in short heel show and Gaff, coz of his whitehackle crosses.
Larry call him "The Richman". anyway he is a secret millionaire
as I know from a friend, he has some authentic bloodline collection
on his 22 acres chicken farm. I will meet him next month
he is in florida right now in his another farm.
I don't know, if he sale. I will ask him ..
Percy Flower gray, Madigin gray, sweater mcginnis blueface
Not only those I mentioned many more.
he give to me a hen only O'conell Albany, Perry Hatch, Gilmore
and variety of whitehackles last full.
just keep in touch, I will talk to him.

Laguan
March 4th, 2010, 10:16 AM
sir tonio, i went to n carolina last year and had the opportunity to visit the legendary mike "can do" gentry's farm. he's famous for his canadian clarets and albanies but what really caught my interest was his percy flower hatches. what i've learned was percy flower wont sell a feather and i just cant recall how he got those hatches. they come straight comb but here's a peacomb percy flower hatch pic

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss281/laguan_2009/mgentryhatch.jpg?t=1267580338

according to some people, Percy Flower hatch is basically an Sweater's Blueface x Mugs.

BLUEEAGLES
March 4th, 2010, 10:20 AM

thanks

Check out Warparty at gamerooster. He's selling some right now.

I've got a few to let go this year if anyone is interested. I have two 2 year old Kelso cocks, the originals came from Gil Lovell of the "Hickory Forest" entry. Dark wine colored, throw a few spangle, pearl legged. I have several McLean pullets out of my Diablo cock. I also have a few Law/Perry pullets to let go, could make up pairs or a trio. I've got a couple of my "Speck" cocks to let go.These are a blend of Percy Flowers Hatch, Pumpkin Hulseys and Regular greys set as a family. I also have a few yard hatch cocks and stags to let go. None are sold for illegal purposes! YFIS

sjfowl
September 12th, 2012, 12:08 PM
there a breeder in nc that has percy flawerhatch, his name is tim webb

Nightfury
September 12th, 2012, 01:01 PM
The best source you will find is Don Pyle (Harmony Downs entry). I had some from him and they were the gamest hatches I ever owned. I had a hard time raising them unfortunately. They wont be cheap if he gets rid of any at all, but well worth it :D

cabros
September 12th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I was able to acquire a Percy Flower sweater cross to Mac White Regular Grey from Mac White last year. I bred them last year in Bacolod, and I'm still gonna breed them this year.

pitcrawler
September 12th, 2012, 01:23 PM
These are my Percy Flower blood, Howard Belk's father received them as a gift from Percy himself, my good friend Howard maintained the blood before he quit then to me..

http://s610.photobucket.com/albums/tt188/pitcrawler/?action=view&current=PercyBlueFace2.jpg

Zacdaddy77
September 12th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I think a lot of Hatch blood traces back to Percy Flowers yard. It has also been a name put on fowl for selling since the 70's. Good luck finding some good ones.

,Zac

lurena
September 12th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Johnny Mitchell leipers and blueface hatch came from Percy flowers. Percy flowers got the leipers, blueface and regular grey from Sweater Mguiness. One of their all type favorite crosses was 1/2 leiper 1/4 Blueface and 1/4 regular grey. Another person that has the Percy Flowers blueface and regular grey is Robert Harvey of Dead End Gamefarm. Hammer time and Mike Middleton have the Percy Flowers Blueface hatch from Johnny Mitchell.

goldcobra
September 14th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Tony Rogers of s Carolina has some good leiper from Ronnie howerton. Came from Johnny Mitchell years ago from Percy.

tonio
September 14th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Thanks for all the answers, surprised to see this thread back up. My uncle never got around to buying any

chad123
September 17th, 2012, 12:09 AM
ive still got a percy flowers grey hen a gift from a friend shes getting old though

hilig88888
September 17th, 2012, 08:28 AM
i know someone with the bird cage blueface that traces back from the breeder from nc, heard they are percy flowers

andrew88
September 17th, 2012, 09:17 AM
I have some friend here ho have maintain percy flower hatch or mc Guinness hatches and blue face

sjfowl
September 17th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Does any one have xperience with tim webb from nc he has percy flawer hacth,mclean,kelso,sweater,grey,

speakeasy
September 17th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks for all the answers, surprised to see this thread back up. My uncle never got around to buying any

several years ago - i heard of Sir Boy Diaz mentioning his Percy Flowers hatches...

BRUNNERMAN
September 18th, 2012, 01:25 AM
http://sabong.net.ph/gallery/watermark.php?file=93529 I HAVE THE GREYS,KELSOS,AND THE LEAPERS FROM JOHNNIE THE LEAPERS COME FROM PERCY, THEY HAVE BEEN BRED SAME AS JOHNNIE DID. CLICK ON THE LINK FOR THE NOTARIZED CONTRACT

sids
December 13th, 2012, 10:43 PM
mr. john and edd mckeldrey got the leapiers, the paleface blueface, and the finly grays from percy while sweeter was there, the leapiers were dark red stream line roosters with very small heads and eyes as red as fire, the paleface were 95%leamon cake, i made many trips to johns before he passed, i got all three lines from john, but only have a little of the leapiers left, as when john passed dale and joe cantrell got all the pure stuff, dale quite and let gene wensil have all the brood fowl, those were the best leapiers i ever saw, john told me that percy and sweeter showed them 1/2 leapier 1/4 blueface 1/4 gray, folks would be suprised if they knew who all used the paleface in there battle crosses, i read many letters from judge leapier and the word hatch was never mentioned, but the name brown red and whitehackle was, i have seen a whole lot of so called leapier blood, but none like the ones john mckeldrey, did i mention john was a great breeder and was well know for his old kelso blood. hope this helps in some way.

redlinefarms
December 14th, 2012, 12:56 AM
I have a family of percy flowers and sweater blueface hatch. They both come 100% straght comb,but a little diffrent in color and style. When breed together they are very good fowl.

GalloNX4
December 14th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Warparty has the Percy Flowers blood

Redbreeder1
December 14th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Johnny and Lane Arrington of Waynesville traded the Grey and Liepers, this is where Johnny got the grey blood. Lane got it from Harold, they swapped a pair, I have seen both and they Nicked for Lane, he showed them in tough company and done well. The leiper is very dark, a little short but strong and Ability.....I knew John Mckeldry and saw many of his fowl go, the Finley grey, Blueface, WAK's, and the Massey. Those Kelso were some leggin' cocks...

crow-at-nite
December 14th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Tonio!I got a friend that have the authentic Percy Flower Hatch,pm me if you want his name and number..

sids
December 14th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Johnny and Lane Arrington of Waynesville traded the Grey and Liepers, this is where Johnny got the grey blood. Lane got it from Harold, they swapped a pair, I have seen both and they Nicked for Lane, he showed them in tough company and done well. The leiper is very dark, a little short but strong and Ability.....I knew John Mckeldry and saw many of his fowl go, the Finley grey, Blueface, WAK's, and the Massey. Those Kelso were some leggin' cocks...
.................................................. ...............sir, i sent you a p.m. but your box is full, with regards, mr. christian.

Redbreeder1
December 14th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Mr. Christian, I made some room, try again, thanks, redbreeder

dirtysouth
December 17th, 2012, 01:09 AM
I must say one of the best cocks ive ever seen pitted came from the fowl mr sids brought back from mr mceldry,pale face, dark,hatch cocks that could break,cut,and stay till the end.I was lucky to have had the pleasure to have some of the blood as well as the mcphersons and marion rose,and leipers, from mr ownes which is close friends to mr sids.Ive been over your way a lot sence ive been back in the country mr sids,a mutaul friend of ours keeps my fowl for me,just above three forks,hope to get to meet you someday,corn allways said you and mr hatfield were the most consistant feeders he ever seen back when it was leaugal.You sure brought back some good fowl from mr mceldry,thanks mate!

sids
December 17th, 2012, 01:22 AM
thank you dirty south for the nice comments, and yes mr. mckeldrey had the percy blood as pure as you could get, as alot of people don"t no leapiers as good as they think they do, but the good leapiers would throw a stright comb, i have seen at johns and had them myself stright comb leapiers, percy had them to and so did mr. judge leapier, as i read countless letters from mr leapier about the fowl and no hatch blood was ever mentioned, only brown red and whithackle, now its hard to tell what other leapier breeders put into theirs, but i no john told me they were just like they were when he got them from percy, you are more than welcome to come visit with me and my son tony, just give me a call the day before to make sure i will be home. corn had 9 of those cocks that were 1/2 my old mclean 1/4 leapier and 1/4 paleface along with (5) 1/ sid 1/4 leapier and 1/4 paleface,and he won cocker of the year at a good pit in his neck of the woods, and i won cocker of the year the same year with 18 cocks at a local pit here, once again thanks, with regards, Mr Christian

Quinta Silvia
January 4th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Hi...BRUNNERMAN

I am Leipers Fan....would you pleas post or send me some pictures of your J.Mitchell Leipers

Thanks

pecosvalley
January 5th, 2013, 01:25 AM
Percy
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb354/pecosvalley/A96BFE66-587D-41F4-8EA9-15C0676EF17E-226-00000066D7296B84.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb354/pecosvalley/E8E852C5-BD64-403F-8EFC-27EC0C90C921-226-00000066CE4C97F0.jpg

genaguilar
January 5th, 2013, 03:31 AM
Don Jose from Don Jose Game Farm in San Antonio TX has some good ones.

sids
January 23rd, 2013, 01:51 AM
Percy
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb354/pecosvalley/A96BFE66-587D-41F4-8EA9-15C0676EF17E-226-00000066D7296B84.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb354/pecosvalley/E8E852C5-BD64-403F-8EFC-27EC0C90C921-226-00000066CE4C97F0.jpg
beautiful leapier cocks, look alot like the ones john got from percy while sweeter was there.

small block
January 23rd, 2013, 08:13 AM
I got some from my father-in-law he lived in North Carolina and knew Percy through his daddy and had them for years and did good with them. I got them when he got sick will not sell ANY.

redlinefarms
January 23rd, 2013, 08:35 AM
I've got about a dozen percy cocks coming two year old this year. I raise the Percy blood and sweater blueface. Although the sweaters are faster and multiple shufflers. The Percy blood is very strong. I like the two crossed. It makes some good looking birds. Both families come 100% straight comb. The Sweater blood comes higher station, darker red and darker green leg. The Percy blood is medium station, lemon hackle and olive colored legs.

GalloNC
January 23rd, 2013, 08:36 AM
I have one pullet that was gifted to me from a man that got his leipers straight from "old man Percy" as he calls him when he was still alive! The pullet is beautiful! Can't wait to breed her to my kelsos!

leo facemyer
January 23rd, 2013, 08:40 AM
Got mys from CY TAYLOR got one stright comb in 20 years CY told me to breed it i did have not got any but they are stronger now Facemyer Farm LeoFacemyer

brownred kelso
January 23rd, 2013, 10:48 AM
The French Canadian feeder Johnny Monroe, while working for Percy was shipping his fowl north and on into Canada just as fast as he could go,,,,,,,story is that Mr. Flowers caught up with him and was going to have him bumped off,,,but Monroe got wind of what was going to be his demise and fled into Western NC,,,,up toward Bob Rodgers place,,,was the last mention anyone ever made of him,,,,often wondered what happened to the fella,,,,Percy would have been a heck of a fella to get upset with you back in the day,,,,,,,BRK

Bill Ray
January 23rd, 2013, 12:58 PM

thanks
Sir, I do not know where there is any original Percy Flowers blood but, I fought against him and his blood. I can tell you that it as good as hatch blood gets.

small block
January 24th, 2013, 09:51 AM
The French Canadian feeder Johnny Monroe, while working for Percy was shipping his fowl north and on into Canada just as fast as he could go,,,,,,,story is that Mr. Flowers caught up with him and was going to have him bumped off,,,but Monroe got wind of what was going to be his demise and fled into Western NC,,,,up toward Bob Rodgers place,,,was the last mention anyone ever made of him,,,,often wondered what happened to the fella,,,,Percy would have been a heck of a fella to get upset with you back in the day,,,,,,,BRK

The Monroe guy was called bub he moved to georgia. He lived with his sister until his death in 1990. His name was john monroe but he was not canadian he was from Fayatteville and was a bootlegger just like Pearcy

brownred kelso
January 24th, 2013, 10:50 AM
The Monroe guy was called bub he moved to georgia. He lived with his sister until his death in 1990. His name was john monroe but he was not canadian he was from Fayatteville and was a bootlegger just like Pearcy

Small Block, i never met the fella,,,always hear he was French Canadian decent, glad to know someone that heared the name, you;re the first person that ever commented and have mentioned this a few times over the years in posting, reguarding Percy Flowers, as well recorded Percy was a bootlleggar, matter of fact Russell Poole was also years ago and told me they indicted Percy once , not on the whiskey but for the tax on unpaid production of,,,the amount of gallons was astronomical, they were trying to charge him with,,,but somehow, the foreman of the jury appointed was Willis Holding,,,,they had the trial and the jury at first found Percy guilty,,,,then Mr. Holding went to work on the jury and finally after hours of deliberation got Percy off,,,,,that was one hooked up dude back in the day,,,,there was a story about him in Time magazine i think,,,He's something not many can truthfully claim,,,the first 6 cock derby i ever entered, the first fight , i meet J Percy Flowers and whipped one of those beautiful Hatch Cocks of his,,,,i'll never forget it,,,,,went over and sat down next to him to collect my bet and he wouldn't even speak,,,,,,,,BRK

Chad Bolan
January 24th, 2013, 09:45 PM
I believe the leiper blood is responsible for more good green legged fowl than any other breed out there. I got my first leipers from a man name Cy Taylor, Cy told me the story on how he came about his leiper fowl, later on Billy Ruble told me the same story and said the leiper blood was really what put him on the map just as it had Cy Taylor. I was told by Billy and Cy that the very same leiper is what put Harold Brown on the map also as a matter of fact Billy and Cy told me they bred the very first leiper cock Harold obtained, Cy said he wore a new car out between Ohio and Birmingham running that leiper cock back and forth from his place to Harolds. I have been breeding the leiper from Jack Smith that he got from Bill Roberson and I was amazed at the speed of these fowl and their hatred for another cock is beyond anything I have ever seen. I love them for crossing and they put speed, cutting, and atheletic ability to anything they are crossed with.

lurena
January 25th, 2013, 05:03 AM
I believe the leiper blood is responsible for more good green legged fowl than any other breed out there. I got my first leipers from a man name Cy Taylor, Cy told me the story on how he came about his leiper fowl, later on Billy Ruble told me the same story and said the leiper blood was really what put him on the map just as it had Cy Taylor. I was told by Billy and Cy that the very same leiper is what put Harold Brown on the map also as a matter of fact Billy and Cy told me they bred the very first leiper cock Harold obtained, Cy said he wore a new car out between Ohio and Birmingham running that leiper cock back and forth from his place to Harolds. I have been breeding the leiper from Jack Smith that he got from Bill Roberson and I was amazed at the speed of these fowl and their hatred for another cock is beyond anything I have ever seen. I love them for crossing and they put speed, cutting, and atheletic ability to anything they are crossed with.
Chad can you give some more information about Cy Taylor? Have heard good things about him but honestly I have no clue who he is. Is he still alive? Where did he get his Leipers? A brief history would be appreciated if you do not mind sharing it with us.

Chad Bolan
January 25th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Chad can you give some more information about Cy Taylor? Have heard good things about him but honestly I have no clue who he is. Is he still alive? Where did he get his Leipers? A brief history would be appreciated if you do not mind sharing it with us. Lurena I met Cy thru Jack Smith. Newton Wade, Jack Smith and myself went to Cy's house to visit back in 2000 and Cy let me have picking choice out of 20 pure stags and gave me 2 pullets he had single mated to a blueface cock we took the babys away from them when we got them out of the pens they was the most beautiful pullets I had ever seen. Cy told me Harold Brown got a leiper cock. (I may not have this story exact but I do have it on video so I can verify it) Cy told me Harold had been after Bill Roberson to let him have a Leiper cock Bill would not have it, later on Harold was in Florida for one of the big tournaments and knew a man who had the leipers from Bill Roberson and on his way home Harold stopped by and told the man Bill had said to let him have one on the leiper cocks and Harold walked away with one of the cocks. That cock is the one Cy said here wore out a new car hauling him back and forth from ohio to alabama Billy Ruble also told me he bred this cock and told me this same story. If I remember right the man in florida was Bill's Robersons brother-inlaw, anyway to make a long story short Cy said Bill and Harold was showing at Boxwood and Bill and Harold both had and entry, Bill was fighting strong and Harold was too, Harold using the Leiper/mclean cross the only loss Bill had coming to Harold, Cy said as they was cutting the heels off of Bills cock Harold couldn't help but rub salt in the wound and ask Bill how did it feel to get whipped by his own fowl, Cy said Bill was ready to kill Harold on the spot and was not a person to mess but it eventually all blew over.Later on Harold also got leiper from I believe Cy called him a Mr Suttles also. Now folks I not saying this is right or wrong just what I was told when I got my fowl from Cy. I never met or new Bill Roberson but I have heard plenty about him from Jack Smith and Jimmy East Sr talked to me about him said he had the best of the leipers. Jimmy had a family he called the Virginia Hatch, they was nothing more than the leipers from Bill Roberson, Jimmy crossed them on asil till the day he died most never knew it but Jimmy loved a 3/4 leiper 1/4 asil battle cock. Lurena I might add Cy Taylor is no longer with us he passed away a few years back, but his sons are still in the business if im not mistaken.

lurena
January 25th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Thank you Chad for sharing this valuable information. Definitively gives me a new perspective on the harold brown and Billy Ruble hatch. Always knew that they were leiper/hatch crosses but other members always said they were just hatch. I have also heard from other members in this site about Mr. Suttles Yellow legged Leipers. How Harold Brown would acquire these Leipers from Mr. Suttles. Thanks again Mr. Bolan and keep sharing some more information.

lurena
January 25th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Another note that I want to add is that several people have ordered leipers from Rat and Jimmy East and have claimed that they have Mareks dieses because the eyes on the leipers are not really red. I think that the eyes are pearlish because of the asil blood infusion and not due to the Mareks disease. Thats just my observation and opinion.

FIRE-RITE
January 25th, 2013, 08:23 AM
thank you dirty south for the nice comments, and yes mr. mckeldrey had the percy blood as pure as you could get, as alot of people don"t no leapiers as good as they think they do, but the good leapiers would throw a stright comb, i have seen at johns and had them myself stright comb leapiers, percy had them to and so did mr. judge leapier, as i read countless letters from mr leapier about the fowl and no hatch blood was ever mentioned, only brown red and whithackle, now its hard to tell what other leapier breeders put into theirs, but i no john told me they were just like they were when he got them from percy, you are more than welcome to come visit with me and my son tony, just give me a call the day before to make sure i will be home. corn had 9 of those cocks that were 1/2 my old mclean 1/4 leapier and 1/4 paleface along with (5) 1/ sid 1/4 leapier and 1/4 paleface,and he won cocker of the year at a good pit in his neck of the woods, and i won cocker of the year the same year with 18 cocks at a local pit here, once again thanks, with regards, Mr Christian I enjoy reading these posts. I would like to think when a Brown-Red was bred to a WH or vice-versa,ALL the off-spring would be straight combed. True Brown-Reds are sc and so are the WH's. And furthermore would show BR influence at half and half. The pea-comb must have been from a family of hatch and been bred back to hatch to keep them looking like the "leiper" we see today. You guys Share some real good info,Thankyou Sids,and Chad Bolen for your info. YFIS

Dos amigos
January 25th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Another note that I want to add is that several people have ordered leipers from Rat and Jimmy East and have claimed that they have Mareks dieses because the eyes on the leipers are not really red. I think that the eyes are pearlish because of the asil blood infusion and not due to the Mareks disease. Thats just my observation and opinion.

I was one of those people that bought Leipers from Rat , stags were showing signs of Merecks so I called Rat and he confirmed it to me, he also told me not show complitly empty, Had to cull several of my hens that were mated to the cock. It was a waste of time and money,they were not healthy.
Yfis
Dos Amigos

GalloNC
January 25th, 2013, 09:16 AM
I read somewhere I can't remember where that there was some roundhead blood bred to make the leipers and I would asume that is where the pea comb comes from but I may be wrong. Maybe someone can verify this.

Chad Bolan
January 25th, 2013, 09:35 AM
I enjoy reading these posts. I would like to think when a Brown-Red was bred to a WH or vice-versa,ALL the off-spring would be straight combed. True Brown-Reds are sc and so are the WH's. And furthermore would show BR influence at half and half. The pea-comb must have been from a family of hatch and been bred back to hatch to keep them looking like the "leiper" we see today. You guys Share some real good info,Thankyou Sids,and Chad Bolen for your info. YFISFire-Rite it was the boston roundhead bred to the brownred/whitehackle that made the leipers their for the peacomb comes in from the boston side.

small block
January 26th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Small Block, i never met the fella,,,always hear he was French Canadian decent, glad to know someone that heared the name, you;re the first person that ever commented and have mentioned this a few times over the years in posting, reguarding Percy Flowers, as well recorded Percy was a bootlleggar, matter of fact Russell Poole was also years ago and told me they indicted Percy once , not on the whiskey but for the tax on unpaid production of,,,the amount of gallons was astronomical, they were trying to charge him with,,,but somehow, the foreman of the jury appointed was Willis Holding,,,,they had the trial and the jury at first found Percy guilty,,,,then Mr. Holding went to work on the jury and finally after hours of deliberation got Percy off,,,,,that was one hooked up dude back in the day,,,,there was a story about him in Time magazine i think,,,He's something not many can truthfully claim,,,the first 6 cock derby i ever entered, the first fight , i meet J Percy Flowers and whipped one of those beautiful Hatch Cocks of his,,,,i'll never forget it,,,,,went over and sat down next to him to collect my bet and he wouldn't even speak,,,,,,,,BRK

John was my wife's uncle. Her grand daddy owned the chevy dealership and knew mr. pearcy very well and had his blood. He moved to ga when he retired and John came down here a few years later. My father in law kept the blood until he died and i got them. John feed for pearcy for several years. Some of my wife's kin folks still live close to the Flowers place and his daughter still lives in his old house. Her name is Mary Flowers

brownred kelso
January 27th, 2013, 12:11 AM
John was my wife's uncle. Her grand daddy owned the chevy dealership and knew mr. pearcy very well and had his blood. He moved to ga when he retired and John came down here a few years later. My father in law kept the blood until he died and i got them. John feed for pearcy for several years. Some of my wife's kin folks still live close to the Flowers place and his daughter still lives in his old house. Her name is Mary Flowers

The daughter, his only daughter i met , Russell Poole called her Becky,I have seen Mr. Flowers at the fights, but he was not very friendly to strangers and I whipped him the very first fight of a 6-cock derby i entered which made him all the less friendly, never visited his place until after he died, but Percy flew to the fights in Florida and Georgia I understand and i'm sure he knew all kinda folks,,,I went down to Percy's place with Russell Poole right after he died, about 1982 they had an auction shortly after but Poole and Flowers were friends and Poole got a pick and choice before the sale,,,,Russell got a bunch of chickens and about 20,000 he spent on Fox hounds, as Mr. Flowers was known for his dogs all over the country, he obtained the very best of both fowl and dogs that money could buy over the years,,,,they was (4) hens there that day Poole got that wore"blue bands" on their legs he got them, when we got back to Rougemont, where Russell lived I was already after him for two of the four hens,,,,so he laughed and said "Dick" take the two hens and take this cock and breed to them,,,,he said was the last hatch cock he had bred this way, the Alabama blood, so i bred the cock two seasons and he called and wanted the cock back, so i took the cock back and about that time Bill Ray gave me a hatch cock that was single mated to the old Percy hens and the half Percy, half alabama blood out of the cock from R G Poole,,,,,along about that time Ralph Whittington was fighting as good as anyone anywhere and i got a pit cock from him and bred to the Percy, Poole, Ray pullets, these were as good a foundation blood as any hatch that i ever had, and got a few more good ones over the years and added to that,,,,but every pure this that or the other is just another mans cross,,,,,BRK

frog11
January 27th, 2013, 12:40 AM
Mary Rebecca "Becky" ,,,,

ridgerunner 2000
January 27th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Does anyone remember the add Percy ran in the mid sixties full page 1000 per trio for his hatch fowl.Also had pictures best i remember they were pea combed.Cannot remember which mag. but pretty sure G&S. FOR The record i called and asked about the fowl,knowing no way i could come up with the money.

C G

small block
January 27th, 2013, 11:46 AM
My wife's grand father told me he paid 2500 for three trio's

brownred kelso
January 27th, 2013, 11:08 PM
I don't know how many people Percy had feeding for him over the years,,,but after "Red" Sweater Mcguinness,,,,,before I forget Col. Jack Claffey lived on Percy's place until he died and Russell Poole used to tell me that Jack Claffey got to feed Sweater's throw outs and the picked over stuff and fought better than Sweater did with the 1st choice stuff,,,anyhow,,,after Sweater,,,that's about the time the Johnny Monroe started feeding,,,for a short time, until they fell out of sorts,,,,Percy would also send cocks to people to feed, wanted them back in a freezer bag if anything happened to em,,,that he insisted one man that fed alot of birds for Percy was "Red" Peaks son "Cap" Peak, Mr. Peak was telling me years ago that Flowers would bring him to differant type hatch roosters,,,,,larger darker hatch roosters and a smaller variety of hatch that could really fight,,,,he would also bring gray roosters but the grays would sull on you, he was always after Percy to bring the little hatch roosters and most of the time they would win the derby,,,but Percy, he claimed had a love for those gray birds and wanted to shot them alot and they really weren't a very good rooster,,,,,think the last guy Percy had feeding roosters was Walter Upchurch the gaff maker,,,which he made a good heel,,most all this information is what was told to me by others that were there and actually witnessed what happened, Percy was not around but a couple seasons after i actually saw him for the first time,,BRK

small block
January 28th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Is Mr. Upchurch still alive

Tweety-Doo
January 28th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Great story contributions here! Please keep it up and we can all learn a history of our fowls. Thanks for all the people contributing to all this.....

brownred kelso
January 28th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Is Mr. Upchurch still alive I really do not know,,,,i have not hear anyone say he was not living, so my guess would be he's still doing ok,,,,,,BRK

small block
January 29th, 2013, 09:16 AM
I have bought heels from him years ago he was nice guy

still water
February 9th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Does any one know who got leipers from Percy?

stillwater2
February 10th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Does any one know who got leipers from Percy?
hey partner, when you get here today, i"ll fill you in.

Camarines
February 19th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Some nice reading posted by brk. Is Red Richardson also connected with Percy Flowers?

Camarines
February 20th, 2013, 06:03 AM
A gentleman told me that Percy Flower also employed Bill Ruble. Sweater didn't want Bill Ruble to have his fowl I was told.

Cutting Edge
February 20th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Great info on Cy Taylor Chad, I have a hen from Howard Belk that has Cy's wing band. Howard told me he and Cy were personal friends. Cy's Clarets were from Howard...

galo519
February 20th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Sir, I do not know where there is any original Percy Flowers blood but, I fought against him and his blood. I can tell you that it as good as hatch blood gets.

Hi Mr. Ray, This is Galo's son. How are you doing?

HSG Keight
May 23rd, 2013, 06:53 PM
Does anyone know if this hen looks like Percy Flowers Blueface? A guy selling them to me said they come from Clayton, NC.
http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w566/HSGKeight/hen_zps66c94742.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/HSGKeight/media/hen_zps66c94742.jpg.html)

loka@TBF
May 23rd, 2013, 10:35 PM
Call Gene Free 803 646 0862,,he has some serious percy blueface,,they r pale face too

hammerstag1
May 24th, 2013, 12:29 AM
hsg I Live In Clayton Nc And I Have Pure Blue Face Pm Me Your Number And I'll Text You Some Pics

roosterstokes
May 24th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Chad theres something I hadn't heard in years the mans name was Howard suttles that Harold brown got his from originally , cy Taylor got his from bill croyle he may have got some other places also do you no more chad!

brownred kelso
May 24th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Cy Taylor had some brood fowl, fit against him many a time, and he was always ready with a quick joke for those of you that knew him,,,,,I had stepped out of the scale room and waiting in the was line to get into the pit once,,,looked over and was right next to Cy,,,he said "Bend over and spell run,,,,,,,R U N,,,,,,lol,,,,,that was all Cy he was awful picky about who he would let have a bird,,,but if he happened to like you,,,,,anything you wanted and and anyway he could help you out,,,but he enjoyed bullchitting,,,thats what all of us miss more than the fights the fellowship,,,BRK

sids
June 5th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Does anyone know if this hen looks like Percy Flowers Blueface? A guy selling them to me said they come from Clayton, NC.
http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w566/HSGKeight/hen_zps66c94742.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/HSGKeight/media/hen_zps66c94742.jpg.html)

if i were you i would check the blueface thread, there are lots of pictures of the different blueface,

hammerstag1
June 8th, 2013, 02:18 AM
some of this years biddies tell me what you guys think.

hammerstag1
June 8th, 2013, 03:42 AM
can someone tell me how to upload pics on here I tried

hilig88888
June 8th, 2013, 09:40 AM
percy flowers blueface were called bird cage blueface by allen fisher, he got them direct from percy flowers and theyre hatch x mugs, probably grade to the hatch side. mike gentrys blueface came from allen fisher

hilig88888
June 8th, 2013, 09:47 AM
the pictures posted by pecos valley looks like it as described by mike gentry. mike once told me they have a black ring around their eyes which makes him think they have black blood in them.

hammerstag1
June 9th, 2013, 12:12 PM
blueface biddies after the rain
http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/Chad_Braglin/media/IMG_20130607_104241_0061_zps755a8d4e.jpg.html?sort =3&o=9

http://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/Chad_Braglin/IMG_20130607_104233_525_zps1ae03246.jpg

http://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/Chad_Braglin/IMG_20130607_104036_329_zpsd215955a.jpg

http://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/Chad_Braglin/935083_10201171902205601_1523100304_n_zpsbfad8cd7. jpg

adnancalib
March 20th, 2014, 03:23 PM
yes i have lot of genuine percy flower bloodline..the only bloodline that i've been using ever since..i used to cross it with blue-face, roundhead ,kelso etc..very perfect cross and proven battle tested line..Note,the genuine "percy flower" is a either a yellow and white legged not a dark one though it is a hatch or a heavy one breed..sorry to tell but i do not sell this bloodline..i'm isolating this bloodline for my personal used only...tnx

adnancalib
March 20th, 2014, 03:25 PM
yes i have lot of percy flower bloodline..the only bloodline that i've been using ever since..i used to cross it with blue-face, roundhead ,kelso etc..very perfect cross and proven battle tested line..Note,the genuine "percy flower" is a either a yellow and white legged not a dark one though it is a hatch or a heavy one breed..sorry to tell but i do not sell this bloodline..i'm isolating this bloodline for my personal used only...tnx

timtaboo
March 20th, 2014, 10:12 PM
My father was friends with john mckeldrey,Walter up church,Marion rose,and a guy who worked for Percy at the time of his death.the story from them was that Percy got the blue face from a relative of old man hatch after he died.the guy didn't want to sell at first but wasn't into gamefowl and eventually called Percy to come buy them.marion rose worked for Percy when sweater came to n.c. To work for Percy and he said sweater didn't bring any hatch there,just dark fowl.percy never bred dark fowl into his but sweater im sure got his start of the blue face from Percy and then probably added dark fowl to his.never seen a dark one from any of these guys who got them from Percy.hens always wheaten,cocks always light to darker red with lemon hackle.always straight comb.they are the best cutting hatch around,not fancy,but when they get in close,you are in trouble.hit hard and extremely tough.the guy who worked for Percy was given all the chickens he wanted by Percy's wife and he said they sold the crosses.no pure stuff left when Percy died.john mckeldrey was probably the nicest ,man I ever met,a real class act and my fathers start with the blue face came from a cock john gave him and two hens from Percy's employee when he died.and SIDS is right ,Percy used to breed 1/4 bluface,1/4 madigin grey, half leiper for battle cocks.they said those were best.too much bleface made them a little too low headed.they also cross great with asil.had 5 brothers like this that won over 20 times total.one cock won 3 of his 5 after getting rattled