PDA

View Full Version : leg color question

asc_redsngreys
June 9th, 2011, 08:26 AM
if you breed a green leg cock over a yellow hen what color legs sould the stags and pullets have. if you get green leg pullets and yellow leg stags does that mean the yellow leg hen already hade some green leg blood in her back ground

newtogame2
June 9th, 2011, 09:31 AM
if they are known for sure to be pure, then that's how the stags and pullets would turn out... but if some stags got green legs, then the hen had green genes behind her yellow legs.

J & J Ranch
June 9th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Maybe I am Wrong but as far as I know , from this mating, you get yellow legs stags and green legs pullets, if "everything is pure " if not, you have some blood added. I want to know is this is true, ?

asc_redsngreys
June 9th, 2011, 06:37 PM
thanks.i thought yellow was domanint over green so when the stags was yellow and the pullets was green i started to wonder.

borderlinefowl
June 9th, 2011, 06:58 PM
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p30/borderlinefowl/100_1273.jpg

rod62
June 9th, 2011, 07:23 PM
In fowl genetics that has been discussed in this web site it was clearly stated that "Yellow legs are dominant over green and blue" and that 'White legs are dominant to all colors". We have proven this fact n our almost 3 years breeding. We breed green legged hatches over yellow legged sweaters and we did not get a "green legged stag" out of the matings. All stags are yellow legged and pullets come green.

borderlinefowl
June 10th, 2011, 04:37 AM
i have bred yellow legs over green and got a 100% yellow legged offspring , course i went with yellow leg sweater cock to green leg hatch hen , ive also done green leg hatch to white leg rh and got yellow and white leg stags and green leg pullets course i get yellow legs out my rhs any ways

BullyPimp
June 10th, 2011, 04:44 AM
I bred a yellow leg cock to a green leg hen and got all yellow legs.

I also bred a green leg cock to a yellow leg hen and got all yellow legs.

BamaOkie
June 10th, 2011, 05:01 AM
This year I bred a Brass back green leg grey over 1/2 Roundhead 1/2 Brass back grey pullets. The pullets were pearl leg & cock green leg. I got white/pearl legs for most part plus red stags! Also a few green legs & yellow legs reds & greys. Man, I had to call a genetic expert on that bunch of young ones! I thought when I mated them I'd get green leg greys as they are 3/4 Brass back Red Fox greys. I have learned since the Brass back is not pure for grey gene & white leg is dominate leg color why they turned out this way. She hatched off 17 biddys so there are quite a few of them! This is only my 2nd year raising the Brass back green leg greys. Always fun to learn new stuff, you ever get to not learning in chicken game you will be backing up!:)

clearfork
June 10th, 2011, 05:46 AM
I just want to throw this tid bit in there... Just because you have a Cock or Hen that is pure of the leg color dose not men that they are pure or have no added blood. And also vise versa...on that is not pure for a certain leg color can still be pure in breed or be the same strain. Its only talking about leg color.

clearfork
June 10th, 2011, 05:52 AM
I bred some round heads i have this year...The cock was yellow legged and the Hen white legged. The hen is pure for white legs and the cock is not pure for the yellow legs... Got all white legs except for two blue legged pullets.

kawika
June 10th, 2011, 06:11 AM
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p30/borderlinefowl/100_1273.jpg
please explain this chart for those who dont know what the numbers stand for and such....is each line number a different mating?

clearfork
June 10th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Kawika... look at it like this... if you breed a yellow legged stag that is not pure to a green legged hen. find your yellow legged Cock and green leged hen, which is #7 then got to over where you see cock not pure for yellow legs stags and pullets... you will see that you get Green or yellow stags and Green or yellow pullets. The NA is there because a Green legged anything is pure for that leg color.

borderlinefowl
June 10th, 2011, 08:17 AM
This year I bred a Brass back green leg grey over 1/2 Roundhead 1/2 Brass back grey pullets. The pullets were pearl leg & cock green leg. I got white/pearl legs for most part plus red stags! Also a few green legs & yellow legs reds & greys. Man, I had to call a genetic expert on that bunch of young ones! I thought when I mated them I'd get green leg greys as they are 3/4 Brass back Red Fox greys. I have learned since the Brass back is not pure for grey gene & white leg is dominate leg color why they turned out this way. She hatched off 17 biddys so there are quite a few of them! This is only my 2nd year raising the Brass back green leg greys. Always fun to learn new stuff, you ever get to not learning in chicken game you will be backing up!:)
http://sabong.net.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=53300

newtogame2
June 10th, 2011, 10:16 AM
kinda like that, but not quite, Kevin.

in human the chromosomes are labeled as (x) and (y)... in fowls, they are (z) and (w)... cocks are (zz), hens are (zw)... so cocks always pass a (z), and hens pass either (z) or (w)... that's why hens determine the sex of their offspring... furthermore, (w) is very, very small, almost non-existing, and carries no trait of feather and leg colors.

we also need to understand white is dominant over yellow which is dominant over dark legs... grey is dominant over red feathers...

breeding a pure green legged cock to a pure yellow legged hen... stags will get (z=green) from dad and (z=yellow) from mom, since yellow is dominant over green, they will have yellow legs, but they also have green under yellow, and they can pass either yellow or green to the next generation... pullets will get (z=green) from dad and (w=none) from mom, so they will have pure green legs.

breeding yellow legged cock to a pure green legged hen will also get you stags with yellow legs (with green under yellow), but pullets will have pure yellow legs...

this explains what you got from your sweater cock over hatch hen... and in the case of your hatch cock over rh hen, it shows your rh are not pure white legs, but with yellow under white (like you said).

the same analysis can be used for feather colors.

jam671
June 10th, 2011, 01:33 PM
this is interesting. newtogame2 Can you analyze my breeding.
I started my Dom Line by first Crossing a male Dom to hen Brownred.
Then i got the Best Dom Stag and bred it to pure brownred hen.
Then i got Dom Hen, she is 3/4 Brownred X 1/4 Dom.
But all traits are Dom colored. I bred her back to a pure Brownred rooster.
The offsprings came out Dom colored and no trace of black.
This would mean that these offsprings are 7/8 Brownred and 1/8 Dom.

But if i just look at them, they look total Dom colored which is
the dominant colors, so i assume since 100% looks Dom, then
the recessive must be 100% Brownred. Would this mean my
7/8 Brownred and 1/8 Dom is actually still 1/2 and 1/2

My main thing i wanted to make was a green legged Dom.
But so far the colors are not blending and it is either one is dominant or recessive.

newtogame2
June 11th, 2011, 05:03 AM
when you breed doms, everything is off the table :D... a friend of mine in TN got some brownreds coming from his doms!!! i thought they were pure brownred when i first saw them! there gotta be everything in a dom... and from the look of it, that statement can't be far off.

gunadore
June 11th, 2011, 05:15 AM
What's very unentertaining is that when a cocker believes he's obtained a pure line trio, breeds them and out of the hatch comes out colors galore. lol

Borderlines graphs makes good sense.

jam671
June 11th, 2011, 08:04 AM
when you breed doms, everything is off the table :D... a friend of mine in TN got some brownreds coming from his doms!!! i thought they were pure brownred when i first saw them! there gotta be everything in a dom... and from the look of it, that statement can't be far off.

Since brownred and Dom doesnt blend, my next experimental Dom breeding would be to Hatch. According to some Dom breeders, Hatch blood blends nicely with Dom, making it a nice red Dom. Hopefully i will be able to make my dark legged Doms.

jerome_aurelio
June 11th, 2011, 08:26 AM
nice thread this year i breed a mclean broock green leg to a frost grey hen yellow legged some of the chicks are green legged and some are yellow legged i cant distinguish there sex yet il wait for another month and see if this chart works

newtogame2
June 11th, 2011, 08:52 AM
nice thread this year i breed a mclean broock green leg to a frost grey hen yellow legged some of the chicks are green legged and some are yellow legged i cant distinguish there sex yet il wait for another month and see if this chart works

if the parents are pure, all stags will have yl, and all hens will have gl... in addition, stags will be grey (but probably w/ some red or yellow in the wings), and ALL PULLETS WILL BE RED.

BamaOkie
June 11th, 2011, 09:13 AM
http://sabong.net.ph/forum (http://sabong.net.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=53300)
/showthread.php?t=53300 (http://sabong.net.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=53300)

This fits my results:)
Impure grey cock (S,s) over a red hen (s) yields grey stags (S,s) red stags (s,s) red pullets (s) and grey pullets (S).

clearfork
June 11th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Now talking feter color... I have a grey cock that caries 5/8 red blood. Im crossing him over a red hen. What will the offspring be in color. Also dose someone have the genetic make up for each color or know where to find it.

clearfork
June 11th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Think their may be a misprint in this...as in #9. If you cross a Yellow legged cock who is not pure for yellow legs and a White legged hen who is pure...you can get Blue legged pullets but I don't think you can get Blue legged Stags. I think the chart has been revised a couple of times...and It is a very good one...but i just wanted to point that out.

j007
June 11th, 2011, 11:48 PM
if you breed a green leg cock over a yellow hen what color legs sould the stags and pullets have. if you get green leg pullets and yellow leg stags does that mean the yellow leg hen already hade some green leg blood in her back ground
My Gracils foundation hens are out of a Hamlin Asil Cock YL and a Lewis Grey Hen GL all the stags were Grey all the pullets red all yellowlegged. I took these pullets and bred them to a Lewis Grey cock GL and over 4 years now all stags from this yard come yellow legged and all the pullets Green legged with only one or two come up different. I had one pullet come yellowlegged engkanto got her he could tell you more on what she is throwing I also got one GL stag.I been hatching over 100 a year dont raise alot with varmints n all but is a fairly large group up side know at a young age wether stag or pullet from leg color -Jim

borderlinefowl
June 12th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Think their may be a misprint in this...as in #9. If you cross a Yellow legged cock who is not pure for yellow legs and a White legged hen who is pure...you can get Blue legged pullets but I don't think you can get Blue legged Stags. I think the chart has been revised a couple of times...and It is a very good one...but i just wanted to point that out.
i dont see it saying anything about getting blue legged stags from a impure yellow over a white legged , only able to get blue leg females , and yes it is true

clearfork
June 12th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Your right borderline...I got off line and looked at the one above it that was my bad.

newtogame2
June 13th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Now talking feter color... I have a grey cock that caries 5/8 red blood. Im crossing him over a red hen. What will the offspring be in color. Also dose someone have the genetic make up for each color or know where to find it.

your grey cock would have (z=grey, z=red)... you red hen would have (z=red, w=none)...

so combining them, stags would have one (z) from dad, and one (z) from mom, so they can be either grey or red, depends on which (z) they got from their dad... pullets would have one (z) from dad, one (w) from mom, so they would also be either red or grey, depends on which (z) is passed to them from their dad.

Soul
June 13th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I breed a pure sweater stag to a pure green legged hen.and got both leg colors on stags and pulletes.but on the stags the green leg domimated more.any other reason

Lucky77
June 13th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Does the "B" on the chart stand for black or both?

I am interested in the pure green legged cock over a pure white legged hen. Says stags will be white legged. Pullets "B". Just wondering what the "B" stands for.

Thanks

El ace
June 13th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I breed a lacy roundhead hen to a kelso cock and the only stag that survived has yellow legs the hen has pearl legs

Asilish1
June 13th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Jam, try breeding your best Dom stag (with brownred blood) to a black hen with black legs. I'm not gonna guarantee Doms with dark legs, but that's
how I made dark legged Doms back in the day. You can also try breeding your 3/4 brownred Dom hen to a black rooster with black legs and see what happens. You can try these methods.

I tried dark GL Hatch type with Doms and it didn't come out GL. As for feather color, yes, dark red Doms.

this is interesting. newtogame2 Can you analyze my breeding.
I started my Dom Line by first Crossing a male Dom to hen Brownred.
Then i got the Best Dom Stag and bred it to pure brownred hen.
Then i got Dom Hen, she is 3/4 Brownred X 1/4 Dom.
But all traits are Dom colored. I bred her back to a pure Brownred rooster.
The offsprings came out Dom colored and no trace of black.
This would mean that these offsprings are 7/8 Brownred and 1/8 Dom.

But if i just look at them, they look total Dom colored which is
the dominant colors, so i assume since 100% looks Dom, then
the recessive must be 100% Brownred. Would this mean my
7/8 Brownred and 1/8 Dom is actually still 1/2 and 1/2

My main thing i wanted to make was a green legged Dom.
But so far the colors are not blending and it is either one is dominant or recessive.

borderlinefowl
June 13th, 2011, 07:53 PM
b= blue legs....................

Engkanto
June 22nd, 2011, 12:34 AM
b= blue legs....................

Yup, B means blue.

Here's another presentation of the same chart. Got this from internet a year or so ago so I don't know if there's a later version of this chart. If anyone can find one, please post it here also.

clearfork
June 22nd, 2011, 02:20 AM
Does the "B" on the chart stand for black or both?

I am interested in the pure green legged cock over a pure white legged hen. Says stags will be white legged. Pullets "B". Just wondering what the "B" stands for.

Thanks
The "B" stands for Blue legged... However it also will be for Black legged as the blue legged and black legs are the same genetic make up...or at least that was the way it was explained to me.

blades61
June 22nd, 2011, 03:36 AM
i bred a yellow leg albany cock over a white leg bruner hen this year.i got yellow and white leg stags.green and blue pullets.i know the bruner is right.the cock i bought back in the winter for 3 hundred off a well known breeder.where is the blue and green legs coming from?

clearfork
June 22nd, 2011, 03:49 AM
It means both your yellow legged cock and white legged hen carries the recessive gens for they leg color. You get White and Yellow legged stags...and white, yellow, blue or green legged pullets.

blades61
June 22nd, 2011, 04:33 AM
i have heard of green leg albany but never saw one.i thought along those lines also ,but i got all blue and green leg pullets.i talked to the guy a while ago that the cock came from.he said not to worry about it he said his brothers were 2 and three time winners in mexico.

clearfork
June 22nd, 2011, 04:42 AM
Yep... I would not worry with it at all. It dose not tell how good the blood is or really how pure it is. It could be used as a marker of some what. But you could have blood that has been bred for 50 years...but due to what the breeder selects as a brood cock or hen... they could carry on the recessive traits.

blades61
June 22nd, 2011, 05:34 AM
thanks for your response.i really like this albany cock hes lemon hackle p comb yellow leg weighs about 5.8 lb.nice brood rooster i had some albany a couple year ago mean as a snake.this line is gentle as a baby.

clearfork
June 22nd, 2011, 05:59 AM
thanks for your response.i really like this albany cock hes lemon hackle p comb yellow leg weighs about 5.8 lb.nice brood rooster i had some albany a couple year ago mean as a snake.this line is gentle as a baby.

Hope you have good luck with them... And don't be afraid to use the off colored legged ones. The could be your best producers...down the road. Cross one of those Green legged pullets back to your Cock...should get yellow and greens.