PDA

View Full Version : Birchens- Big Competition

CrowsNestFarm
June 16th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone is using this old bloodline in big time competition, and if so how are they doing. Crossed? Pure? Just wondering

CrowsNestFarm
June 16th, 2011, 01:12 AM
also if anyone is using the Old English Game blood too, thanks!!

Hard_Shuffle
June 16th, 2011, 04:19 AM
there to slow...you have to cross them a few times to get the speed up... i know a guy with some real good ones.. they have alot of cut and power though.. i just seen them a few days ago...

CrowsNestFarm
June 16th, 2011, 04:51 AM
ya, i feel they would be a slow mover, but when they hit/cut, you know it!! What grading is best when using these old bloodlines?

slipspur
June 16th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Yes, they do need to be crossed... Although, the Nunis blood has fooled many folks with their accuracy ... My best cross with the Birchens so far has been produced with a McLean cock over Nunis hens...

CrowsNestFarm
June 16th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Have you been able to test any of that cross Slip

Engkanto
June 16th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Yes, they do need to be crossed... Although, the Nunis blood has fooled many folks with their accuracy ... My best cross with the Birchens so far has been produced with a McLean cock over Nunis hens...

Hey Mark, what do you mean when you said 'the Nunis blood has fooled many folks with their accuracy'? How would you compare the Nunis Birchens with Lutz' Duryeas? Been thinking also of getting a good WH family to cross with my Mcleans and Albanys but can't decide which family to try first, LOL...

Nice thread Bryan.

CrowsNestFarm
June 16th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Hey Mark, what do you mean when you said 'the Nunis blood has fooled many folks with their accuracy'? How would you compare the Nunis Birchens with Lutz' Duryeas? Been thinking also of getting a good WH family to cross with my Mcleans and Albanys but can't decide which family to try first, LOL...

Nice thread Bryan.

Thankyou, I was also curious with Slip's answer lol I really like this line of fowl, read alot about them on the Fallcreek Ranch website!

slipspur
June 16th, 2011, 02:20 PM
What I'm saying is... Historically... They aren't fancy, but they get quick results... Of the blue ribbon type... Crossed, they get fancy and still get fast results... Of the blue ribbon type... Historically speaking of course...

jon2
June 16th, 2011, 04:39 PM
slip,
hows d move 2 manila?

Hard_Shuffle
June 16th, 2011, 07:15 PM
if i owned them *which i will very soon*

this is what im going to do..

round head over birchin hen.. bread back to the round head side.... and other half back to the birchin side

doc over birchen hen... bread back to the doc and the other half as well bread back to the other side

idk about everywhere else.. but when legal... if you came around here even in gaff fighting slow moving accurate cutting birds... you would still loose cause there birds would cut you down so bad in the first few pittings that you wouldn't be able to come back.. true people do win with birds like that.. just not as much..

but i think 3/4th's 1/4ths will work good.. i might even go 5/8ths 3/8ths.. time will tell

Engkanto
June 16th, 2011, 07:57 PM
What I'm saying is... Historically... They aren't fancy, but they get quick results... Of the blue ribbon type... Crossed, they get fancy and still get fast results... Of the blue ribbon type... Historically speaking of course...

Thank you Sir.

CALVIN2
June 16th, 2011, 08:35 PM

round head over birchin hen.. bread back to the round head side.... and other half back to the birchin side

doc over birchen hen... bread back to the doc and the other half as well bread back to the other side

idk about everywhere else.. but when legal... if you came around here even in gaff fighting slow moving accurate cutting birds... you would still loose cause there birds would cut you down so bad in the first few pittings that you wouldn't be able to come back.. true people do win with birds like that.. just not as much..

but i think 3/4th's 1/4ths will work good.. i might even go 5/8ths 3/8ths.. time will tell

You will be successful with your cross's ,1/2 is just fine . The full Nunis slow guess perhaps some are these or let me say mine aren't . They originated from Lutz farm ,very good and very quick full .Crossed with good hatch or roundhead Outrageous

aikoarmada
June 16th, 2011, 09:00 PM
hey guys mind posting some good pix of these fowls ur discussing bout?just curious since i havent seen any of this old original fowls.tenx a lot hope someone here is ind enough to do so

CrowsNestFarm
June 16th, 2011, 09:46 PM

I like the sounds of those crosses, I think they will put the W's on the board for you. Especially that Roundhead over Birchen cross, good brainy fowl over the accurate puncher, gotta love it!

CrowsNestFarm
June 16th, 2011, 09:54 PM

Sounds good Slip, by "fancy" do you mean high breaking, side stepping, all that wonderful stuff, opposed to just "hey your infront of me, im gonna stay here and we'll smash the chit outta eachother!" lol Historically speaking.

hitmonkey!!!
June 16th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Sounds good Slip, by "fancy" do you mean high breaking, side stepping, all that wonderful stuff, opposed to just "hey your infront of me, im gonna stay here and we'll smash the chit outta eachother!" lol Historically speaking.
ha ha i like to watch em stand there breast to breast and smash the chit out of each other lol

Goldenbirchens
June 16th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Historically speaking I can tell you what Ron says about them. He said they watch the air show and kill the other rooster when he hits the ground. LOL.

CrowsNestFarm
June 16th, 2011, 10:08 PM
ha ha i like to watch em stand there breast to breast and smash the chit out of each other lol

someitmes thats the most entertaining hahaha, like watching the two big guys at schooll fight, just stand their and trade until one falls down lol!!
Im not trying to say anything bad about the Birchens mind you, I dont know their fighting style, but from Ive read they are slow, powerful machines, so I can only imagine the bouts the have are just, "yeaaaaaa lets wack the snot outta eachother"

hitmonkey!!!
June 16th, 2011, 10:12 PM
o i know what u sayin i just cuttin up with ya but you know you dont see birchens around here much but i always love the looks of them i like the gold and pumpkin colored roosters i like the avatar on kawika thats one fine lookin rooster and goldenbirchens avatar he also looks good

CrowsNestFarm
June 16th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Historically speaking I can tell you what Ron says about them. He said they watch the air show and kill the other rooster when he hits the ground. LOL.

LOL, thats a perfect style, let the other cock be all fancy, and then WHAM, hows your day lol. GoldenBirchen, that cock in your avatar, beautiful!

Goldenbirchens
June 16th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Here are pictures and information on 4 different Birchen families that I know of. You can click on any one of them to see more information about them.

http://thefallcreekranch.com/gamefowl/yellow_birchen.html

BamaOkie
June 16th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Are these Birchens a game family? Old speed or power family? Look like a white hackle or Pyle off shoot to me.

CrowsNestFarm
June 16th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Are these Birchens a game family? Old speed or power family? Look like a white hackle or Pyle off shoot to me.

From what I have read about them, they are an old power family with gameness as well. Guys here say to make a good show fowl, well not in all cases, they are best to cross with other types of fowl, Roundhead seems to be popular. If you go to the linked site above provided by Goldenbirchen, you will find some good information regarding the Birchens.

kawika
June 17th, 2011, 12:06 AM
i started breeding golds and pumpkin hulseys after reading victor and santi sierra old super ss gamefarm history on their goldens....i love the colors and the amazing smarts and cutting ability....they were rite when they said the gold and pumpkins will pick up on another birds style and dispose of them quickly....best i ever did was cross them to the dan gray roundhead and black mcrae....so thanks to victor and family

gamecock789
June 17th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Who's got any of this blood like the way the look

CrowsNestFarm
June 17th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Gamecock, a few of the guys who have posted on this thread are carrying the Birchen blood.

slipspur
June 17th, 2011, 01:38 AM
Historically speaking... the Birchens were considered " bloody heel " fowl, meaning they cut real well... When straight bred, when you would spar them, they looked like they were getting whipped... The same birds that looked like they couldn't whip their sisters pulled out blue ribbons in short order...

CrowsNestFarm
June 17th, 2011, 02:00 AM
werent other breeds, like the Whitehackle considered "bloody heel" birds as well

kawika
June 17th, 2011, 02:03 AM
historically speaking... The birchens were considered " bloody heel " fowl, meaning they cut real well... When straight bred, when you would spar them, they looked like they were getting whipped... The same birds that looked like they couldn't whip their sisters pulled out blue ribbons in short order...
true...they dont have furious legs and they seem like they get whipped in spars but if u watch closely or take a video and slow it down , u will notice these fowl hit the opponent 1st and always to the body and very accurate and do not waste energy....i see other birds blow furious legs at the golds and looks spectacular and then boom! 1 side step and a 2 punch return and the opponent is dead....

CrowsNestFarm
June 17th, 2011, 02:12 AM
true...they dont have furious legs and they seem like they get whipped in spars but if u watch closely or take a video and slow it down , u will notice these fowl hit the opponent 1st and always to the body and very accurate and do not waste energy....i see other birds blow furious legs at the golds and looks spectacular and then boom! 1 side step and a 2 punch return and the opponent is dead....

that sounds like a desirable fighting style to me, how is their gameness?

CrowsNestFarm
June 17th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Is anyone using the Old English Game bloodline for big competition, any information on their style and what they grade well with?
Ive taken an interest in these old bloodlines the last little while and am just wondering if they are still in use and going strong.

Goldenbirchens
June 17th, 2011, 02:56 AM
The birchens are not hulseys and they are different than them. I beleve though the Babb cock that was the pumpkin bird that went into the EH Hulsys might have been heavy on Birchen blood.

Falkor
June 17th, 2011, 03:15 AM
From what I can tell, correct me if I'm wrong is redquill/birchen is the same thing. It's just a solid coloring like white, black...etc Your pumpkins would come from this when bred with another color.

tinalupan
June 17th, 2011, 03:19 AM
I've got a redquill type bird, only difference is that it is yellow legged and man-shy when approached while being sparred. What the heck should I do so this type don't run when being sparred? Once you separate them, the redquill ducks and runs but will go back for more if not approached by humans. It's just man-shy and gets flighty.

Falkor
June 17th, 2011, 03:22 AM
You need to spend time with him everyday, no need to spar him right now. Get him used to you, go out and hand feed him, hold him, pet him. Is he young? Stags have a tendency to be very shy and it takes time and patience for some of them to trust you.

CrowsNestFarm
June 17th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Tinalupan, how are you my friend!
Spend some time with him, handle often and talk sweet to him, little tlc!!

Goldenbirchens
June 17th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Red quills are not birchen, Birchen blood though propably went into them long ago as with other family's. As for gameness, the gold bird in my avatar was raised by a Birchen breeder in Alabama. He told me he didnt raise many because a baby stag would want to fight any cock on the yard and would get killed. This is at quail size.

Falkor
June 17th, 2011, 03:53 AM
Birchen is a blood line? I thought it was a color variation? If you crossed a redquill and pyle would you not get a birchen color?

Goldenbirchens
June 17th, 2011, 04:03 AM
I believe Birchen can be both a color and a family of Chickens. If they have been bred for a 100 years or so, I would consider it a family. I've never made that cross with Quills. I was told by "Wildfoot" if you wanted to play with the "Ginger" color to play with Red Quills. Most of Rons Nunis Birchens will come pumpkin with white underhackles and some will come ginger. I have some pumpkin Gleesons that are Wardell blood. They look alot like Rons "Nunis" Birchens. Rons Nunis are also not Gold like my Avatar. That bird is a 7/8 Farris Birchen and 1/8 Davis.

I made a facebook fan page for Ron. http://www.facebook.com/Birchencorner You can see many of his birds on this page. At the top is a Nunis Birchen that to Ron is a perfect bird. Ron is the man with the beard. He does not have a computer but you can reach him by phone and he loves to talk chicken. Ive not figured out how to get a picture of him for the avatar. It wants to keep me there since I am the admin. of the page for him.

CALVIN2
June 17th, 2011, 04:04 AM
THe Ala. breeder is correct Goldenbirchen ,8 weeks old had to pen 6 stags ,one of the hardest birds to raise I'VE EVER HAD ,Problem is they will start it and won't run away like most that age .

Falkor
June 17th, 2011, 04:08 AM
I believe Birchen can be both a color and a family of Chickens. If they have been bred for a 100 years or so, I would consider it a family. I've never made that cross with Quills. I was told by "Wildfoot" if you wanted to play with the "Ginger" color to play with Red Quills. Most of Rons Nunis Birchens will come pumpkin with white underhackles and some will come ginger. I have some pumpkin Gleesons that are Wardell blood. They look alot like Rons "Nunis" Birchens. Rons Nunis are also not Gold like my Avatar. That bird is a 7/8 Farris Birchen and 1/8 Davis.

I made a facebook fan page for Ron. http://www.facebook.com/Birchencorner You can see many of his birds on this page. At the top is a Nunis Birchen that to Ron is a perfect bird. Ron is the man with the beard. He does not have a computer but you can reach him by phone and he loves to talk chicken. Ive not figured out how to get a picture of him for the avatar. It wants to keep me there since I am the admin. of the page for him.

Ok thanks for the info, it seems that the term birchen, gold, pumpkin sometimes get intermingled. I do agree with you on the family set, just trying to clarify for my own mind what is what.

CrowsNestFarm
June 17th, 2011, 10:29 AM
THe Ala. breeder is correct Goldenbirchen ,8 weeks old had to pen 6 stags ,one of the hardest birds to raise I'VE EVER HAD ,Problem is they will start it and won't run away like most that age .

they have the fighting spirit at a young age eh!

YeY197
June 17th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Being a local guy, I've seen Birchen crosses go and win but I have seen them loose as well most have been hatch crosses and other show crosses and all have originated from Topeka to my knowledge, I know guys that have bred them and where disgusted by the results, one of my friends even mentioned they are better when they are older then just standard 2 yr olds, but there is guys that love them for some reason and have alot of faith in them $$$$ and we love those guys...J/k..They are an old family and the guy who raises them in Topeka hasnt been active in over 20 plus years so its hard to keep them consistent IMO but they have potential for theyre cutting ability all they need is someone to take a chance on them and move them up to the big leauges. So Big Competition not right now but I'm glad they are gaining popularity because I like rooting for them..Like I said all they need is a chance at the hands of a good breeder who likes to play. This is all where its legal and historically speaking..Take a chance and you might be surpised is what I'm sayin they win fast when they win.

victor
June 17th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the Kind words Kawika..... And yes birchen is one of the source blood from all these Gold and pumpkin color. I think even them ginger... I just havent seen any yet before that was bred to be abit more refined. The ones Ive seen before the internet thing were abit too coarse. So I LOVE IT when I see people like Slipspur and Bart breeding this line and refining them. Thanks guys....

I wrote yesterday A long history of my golds in this thread after talking to my Father about them but I just deleted it. hehehe. I think he's had them for 32 years. But here's for sure stuff. Sam Bigham never had a Gold. So when people here in the P.I talk about Bingham Gold it came from Super SS. In one way or another.... And they were bred using Bigham Reds with an Infused blood that had E.H Hulsey to them.

Golden Birchen, Anyone still has good birchens that tested them when it was legal in the U.S? I mean not 1940's but in modern days? Thanks!

Best,
Victor Sierra

Budlat
June 17th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Here are pictures and information on 4 different Birchen families that I know of. You can click on any one of them to see more information about them.

hi guys,just asking who breeds this line in the US or in the phils?would you encourage them to display in next year world gamefowl expo in the pihls?i think more breeder will like to have this lines bcoz of their power & cut,,i wish to have this line too,..the golden birchen's is more beautiful to me,..

Sentenciador
June 17th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I wrote yesterday A long history of my golds in this thread after talking to my Father about them but I just deleted it. hehehe.

C'mon victor share it! :)

victor
June 17th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Hi Idol!!!
Ok then Ill right something about them for the P.I guys.... I wanted to write it because its funny how one person's story change another ones in the future. So I want to set the record on the Bigham Golds. THere is NO Sam Bingham Golds.

I even hear people now adays winning with Golds and when asked they say I imported them from the U.S and its Sam Bigham GOlds. And I just laugh my ass off because they arent any..... We made it up in the 80's... Here's how they turned about.

In the early 70's my dad fought alot of birds DIRECT from Harold Brown. We've had them double nose greys that LONG ago. But Mamie Lacson though made them famous and Perfected them. BTW, Mamie Lacson, Biboy Enriquez and my father are all CLASSMATES in college. What a batch. All breeders.. I wonder what there grades were...hehehe.

In the 80's we fought most of Jimmy East's Birds and done good locally. Then we first acquired them Bigham Reds after the east's birds went abit down hill. He got them from a friend that Bigham gave his father when he died. They were Red, Straight comb birds. Came yellow leg. Also WL. He was quitting with gamefowls.

victor
June 17th, 2011, 12:52 PM
This Friend also got a good source of E.H Hulsey's that was winning in the texas area. So when we first acquired the Bigham Reds they were bred to alittle blood of E.H hulsey to them from the friend NOT Bigham.

So there was never a Sam Bigham Gold as you see. And ive asked everyone that had any direct know how with Bigham and they said same. No Pumpkin color....

Then we bred them Bigham Reds and my father only had Sisters to the broodcock. When bred a single "Ginger" kinda malatuba looking came out. All the Red brothers won! And the single Ginger color Won numerous times beating the big names without cut. And what's weird was that they almost always looked like they were getting whipped in the fight. And suddenly the other bird dies. And you inspect him and he would have NO CUT!

We used this single rooster in almost every meaningful derby and we started calling them Bingham Golds (wrong spelling).... It showed like a soar thumb before because it had a different color and people was asking whats the new breed that "Tiaging" my fathers nick name was breeding... They didnt know it was just that single cock that was fought over and over.

We used this single Cock to breed and when bred would throw beautiful GOLD looking birds. And that's what started the so called Bingham Golds in the Philippines. So when you say Bingham Golds in the P.I they HAD to come from Super SS. They were winning almost 80% in the 80 and 90's and even early 2000. It was MOSTLY my brother Santi and my father that made them. At that time It was them that bred.

I heard they still won the Rambulan 9 stag with some of them blood on another persons hands.

I still keep a few in my yard just to keep the blood.

I only fight a handful just to check on them every now and then as Im more focused on my roundheads nowadays....

I hope this helps clarify...

Best to all,
Victor Sierra
www.cvba.net.ph

CrowsNestFarm
June 17th, 2011, 01:17 PM
thankyou for sharing that info Victor!

tinalupan
June 17th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Tinalupan, how are you my friend!
Spend some time with him, handle often and talk sweet to him, little tlc!!

Been doing well lately, I believe this bird was penned with others and was the dominant one but been penned too closely with the others, not a stag though, yup, gotta take sometime...thanks for the input guys.

Sentenciador
June 17th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Nice story :)

Thanks vic! I guess your dad, Mamie and Biboy got good grades in math. They aced the fractions part! :)

Regards!

aikoarmada
June 17th, 2011, 08:44 PM

Very informative sir. tenx now got some idea where those gold came from

CrowsNestFarm
June 17th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Been doing well lately, I believe this bird was penned with others and was the dominant one but been penned too closely with the others, not a stag though, yup, gotta take sometime...thanks for the input guys.

glad to hear it, the summer is starting to warm up eh, how is the heat in the GTA? Im working two jobs right now, tuition is a bugger lol.
Hiopefully things get better with that bird, and flighty is better then an outright manfighter. Always be in his presence and handle and stuff like that, massage the legs, calmly manor and all that, and he should turn around

CrowsNestFarm
June 18th, 2011, 02:14 AM
So it seems that alot of you guys whove posted have crossed the Birchens onto roundheads. Any other cross that maybe you have experimented with? Say Birchen to Hatch, or Birchen to Sweater??

CALVIN2
June 18th, 2011, 02:18 AM

CrowsNestFarm
June 18th, 2011, 02:26 AM
lol theres one example i over looked. Im just wondering if there is anything else! Has anyone really experimented with the birds, or are there just to far and few to really get them out there.

Laguan
June 18th, 2011, 07:05 AM
when some say Bingham gold, they probably meant Roy Bingham gold.

kawika
June 18th, 2011, 07:55 AM
that sounds like a desirable fighting style to me, how is their gameness?
i havent had any run yet....i have been stuck in the head and body and would keep going at the other bird.....and this is stags i using....if the stags can handle the steal then the cocks must be game as well....i dont have time to wait 2 years only to find out they were junk and run...

kawika
June 18th, 2011, 08:04 AM
so it seems that alot of you guys whove posted have crossed the birchens onto roundheads. Any other cross that maybe you have experimented with? Say birchen to hatch, or birchen to sweater??
doing it with black mcrae and they are awesome....especially the ones that have white hackle

CrowsNestFarm
June 18th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Kawika, theyve deffy got some gameness to them then. After testing the stags and finding they are game, do you test the same birds again as cocks??

Laguan,
The third bird in that series of pictures is a beautiful rooster. All 4 of them are nice, but he made me say "wow" Excellent bird broskie.

kawika
June 18th, 2011, 01:02 PM
kawika, theyve deffy got some gameness to them then. After testing the stags and finding they are game, do you test the same birds again as cocks??

Laguan,
the third bird in that series of pictures is a beautiful rooster. All 4 of them are nice, but he made me say "wow" excellent bird broskie.
i fight um till they die...have had some that was 4 time winners before they made 1 year old....they have to win to stay in the yard and cock out....

CrowsNestFarm
June 18th, 2011, 08:42 PM
i fight um till they die...have had some that was 4 time winners before they made 1 year old....they have to win to stay in the yard and cock out....

Thats one way to go about it lol. How many wins does it take to cock out on your yard? 4 before a year in age is pretty damn good if you ask me.

silver2dmoon
June 19th, 2011, 02:39 PM
lol !!!
Yes they (Birchens) do fight to death at 6 weeks of age versus my 5 months old stag...LOL !!! This same biddie surprised me to slug it off with his brother for 40 min when they were still 2 weeks old then...I was hoping that one of them would chicken out and run but I had to separate them before one of them gets killed. 2 weeks later, his face has healed up and I sent him free ranging once again....in a few minutes while I was working at the yard, I heard banging somewhere, and this same biddie managed to get inside one of the caged 5 mo. old stag and exchanging blows... I'm telling you...they are trouble makers...:D Unfortunately, I have to quit the sport and sent all my birds to a friend in Texas. I missed those Birchens. :D

Red quills are not birchen, Birchen blood though propably went into them long ago as with other family's. As for gameness, the gold bird in my avatar was raised by a Birchen breeder in Alabama. He told me he didnt raise many because a baby stag would want to fight any cock on the yard and would get killed. This is at quail size.

slipspur
June 19th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I had Birchen baby stags get into it with some of my Hamlin Asil stags of the same age ( about a month from normal penning age )... Th Asil's would put a severe azz whipping on em... Knock em plum out, several times... and the Birchens just kept coming back for more... I'd have to pen em.

biak na bato
June 19th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Sir Laguan those are really nice golds. Bernie Tacoy had success with Ormoc Gold in the PI. Are they of the same bloodline?

CrowsNestFarm
June 19th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Sounds like the birchens, even when a young age, dont know the meaning of "quit" lol

slipspur
June 20th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Just like all breeds, there are good and bad one's... be careful where ya get em... and even then, there are no guarantee's...

Zacdaddy77
June 20th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone is using this old bloodline in big time competition, and if so how are they doing. Crossed? Pure? Just wondering

I've never heard of them winning at Springbrook, Del Rio, Bayou Club or Sunset when they were still in operation. Maybe out west somewhere, but I think if they were winning, or even competing a lot of people would have been breeding them. They could win a beauty contest for sure.

,Zac

slipspur
June 20th, 2011, 02:10 AM
There may be more breeding them than ya think.... Like I said... when crossed, they come red...

CrowsNestFarm
June 20th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Are there any of this blood in the P.I being used? Slip, did I not see that you were planning on moving your operation out there at some point? If youve got good contacts/friends in the P.I why not ship a few and start grade breeding them for the competition there? Just a thought.

Goldenbirchens
June 20th, 2011, 02:15 AM
Slip, do you have a pic of the 1/2 MCcleans. I was trying to find it, and think it might have gotten taken down. That was kind of what I was thinking. You might not really know what you are seeing unless someone told you.

slipspur
June 20th, 2011, 02:32 AM
Are there any of this blood in the P.I being used? Slip, did I not see that you were planning on moving your operation out there at some point? If youve got good contacts/friends in the P.I why not ship a few and start grade breeding them for the competition there? Just a thought.

I thought I'd be there in the P.I. long before now... I have to sell my place here to be able to afford the move... the market is so slow & we've only had 2 people even look so far... as far as sending birds over, I'm ahead of ya... I've sent birds on over to 2 different fellas.

Slip, do you have a pic of the 1/2 MCcleans. I was trying to find it, and think it might have gotten taken down. That was kind of what I was thinking. You might not really know what you are seeing unless someone told you.

I sent them to Carl went they were young... I think he may have some pics of them in his FB page... they just look like Yellow Legged Hatches... damn nice ones...

( Carl told me just minutes ago that ya let him talk ya outta the sisters to said stags... wow... I think ya messed up there ;)... he also said ya hooked him up with some nice Shepard pups too... )

Goldenbirchens
June 20th, 2011, 02:51 AM
I knew they were on his page, but didnt see them now. I probably did mess up. I just am breeding too many hens. I didnt know if I needed all 3 of them. I think he was going to try to set them as a family also. Yes, we kind of put him in the dog business. He also let me have the original pair of Nunis that you got from Ron, and another hen. He may want some back from them also. Im going to breed the extra hen to the HH Moore from Mike and see what he thinks of them. I also let him have some Duryea, Nunis, and Gold / Nunis crosses. Ever have chickens crowing in a hotel room at 3 and 4 am??? LOL

I do also have a few chicks out of a Birchen hen, by the McClean stag from you.

kawika
June 20th, 2011, 02:52 AM
thats one way to go about it lol. How many wins does it take to cock out on your yard? 4 before a year in age is pretty damn good if you ask me.
i just keep showing um....if they dont die by the time the molt starts then they will be in the yard till next season when they come 2 years....but most times they get sold by then.....the only cocks i really have in my farm is breeders....i dont breed anything that hasnt won....they have to win in good fashion to become a breeder even if they are pures

CrowsNestFarm
June 20th, 2011, 02:57 AM
Id like to see the 1/2 Mclean pics

CrowsNestFarm
June 20th, 2011, 03:09 AM
i just keep showing um....if they dont die by the time the molt starts then they will be in the yard till next season when they come 2 years....but most times they get sold by then.....the only cocks i really have in my farm is breeders....i dont breed anything that hasnt won....they have to win in good fashion to become a breeder even if they are pures

Right on. So your selling guys your proven battle fowl then, like they are already winners. Sounds like a good deal for the guys buying them, gettting something that has been tested and won! I like how you make sure your pures have what it takes aswell. What about hen selection for your breedings?

Mike Everett
June 20th, 2011, 03:43 AM
VANNIHILL YELLOWS...were a fine old strain, and of great beauty as regards to their coloring, being either yellow or orange-breasted; the hackle, saddle, tail, and tail converts of a soft, brighter color in some a darker-grey, according to the color of the breast; legs were white.

"Fly up, fly up, fly up,
My bonny grey cock,
and crow when it is day;
Your breast is of the burnished gold,
and your wings a silvery grey."

CrowsNestFarm
June 20th, 2011, 04:47 AM
VANNIHILL YELLOWS...were a fine old strain, and of great beauty as regards to their coloring, being either yellow or orange-breasted; the hackle, saddle, tail, and tail converts of a soft, brighter color in some a darker-grey, according to the color of the breast; legs were white.

"Fly up, fly up, fly up,
My bonny grey cock,
and crow when it is day;
Your breast is of the burnished gold,
and your wings a silvery grey."

Mike, your a poet, and I think you know it!! LOL
Vannihill Yellows eh, they sound like a beauty of a bird. Are they still in existence?

OREVON
June 20th, 2011, 05:23 AM
got one birchen yellow legged in my batch of cockerels........

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy15/orevonbros/221014_223864310964361_100000223829017_1092257_580 7033_o.jpg

Laguan
June 20th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Sir Laguan those are really nice golds. Bernie Tacoy had success with Ormoc Gold in the PI. Are they of the same bloodline?

Mine are E.H. Hulseys. I don't know what Bernie's are. Thanks.'biak na bato.

CrowsNestFarm
June 20th, 2011, 06:24 AM
got one birchen yellow legged in my batch of cockerels........

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy15/orevonbros/221014_223864310964361_100000223829017_1092257_580 7033_o.jpg

Nice lookin stags, whats his age in that shot? 3 months-ish??

kawika
June 20th, 2011, 08:18 AM
right on. So your selling guys your proven battle fowl then, like they are already winners. Sounds like a good deal for the guys buying them, gettting something that has been tested and won! I like how you make sure your pures have what it takes aswell. What about hen selection for your breedings?
my hens range till i need them for breeding and they will fight the other hens and i watch this and see how the hens fight and their gameness....the hens that dont run and show outstanding skills and many legs, i keep as breeders....if she fights outstanding but quits and runs, i will kill it...hens must be as game as the roosters....also i watch if she is a good mom and watches the chicks and fights for them...this is important to me....

CrowsNestFarm
June 20th, 2011, 08:24 AM
my hens range till i need them for breeding and they will fight the other hens and i watch this and see how the hens fight and their gameness....the hens that dont run and show outstanding skills and many legs, i keep as breeders....if she fights outstanding but quits and runs, i will kill it...hens must be as game as the roosters....also i watch if she is a good mom and watches the chicks and fights for them...this is important to me....

Right on. Do you have any hens/cocks that have proven their breeding, like say a set mating really catches and throws good stags, would you then use that same mating again with the same birds??

OREVON
June 20th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Nice lookin stags, whats his age in that shot? 3 months-ish??

he's about 4 months old in that shot. here's his latest shot just yesterday now 5 months old........with some of the batch

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy15/orevonbros/258323_235924966424962_100000223829017_1197288_920 21_o.jpg

CrowsNestFarm
June 20th, 2011, 11:21 AM
is he in the back left of that shot? His legs changed colour lol

OREVON
June 20th, 2011, 12:46 PM
is he in the back left of that shot? His legs changed colour lol

yes that's him. well maybe because it's raining almost everyday in the Philippines and his legs were covered with mud.;)

silver2dmoon
June 21st, 2011, 09:57 AM
...If looks could kill.... ;)

he's about 4 months old in that shot. here's his latest shot just yesterday now 5 months old........with some of the batch

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy15/orevonbros/258323_235924966424962_100000223829017_1197288_920 21_o.jpg

CrowsNestFarm
June 21st, 2011, 10:35 AM
LOL, if looks could kill then there wouldnt be much left in this sport lol

Outlaw greys
June 21st, 2011, 10:49 AM
What color legs should birchens be

kawika
June 21st, 2011, 10:52 AM
right on. Do you have any hens/cocks that have proven their breeding, like say a set mating really catches and throws good stags, would you then use that same mating again with the same birds??
yes and when i do find a good nick in the line i will keep breeding that same rooster and hen as long as i can while still trying other mixes to find better nicks....the best nick i had is breeding them with the dan gray roundhead...best percentage of this knick is a 5/8 roundhead 3/8 gold.....next would be the 3/4 sweater 1/4 gold.....just bred my black mcrae cock to the gold hen and got all blacks except 1 gold colored one...will see how this cross turns out next season

Goldenbirchens
June 21st, 2011, 11:02 AM
Lutz Nunis Birchens are Yellow leg.

Farris Birchens are white.

When I bred a white leg Sears Birchen to my Gold Farris Birchen who are both white I got mostly white and a few yellow.

I have heard of some of the birchens having green also.

Hulseys and Birchens are not the same .

Outlaw greys
June 21st, 2011, 11:19 AM
I have a young stag the same color as your avatar his legs are yellow with a green tint the guy i bought the eggs from just called them pumpkins his sister is very light with a gold tinted neck and her legs are solid yellow he did tell me at one time they bred in some hatch blood and breed back to the pumpkin

Goldenbirchens
June 21st, 2011, 11:26 AM
My avatar is a Farris/Davis Birchen. This is essentially the same thing. They are white. Rons Nunis Birchens are pumpkin in color but do not come gold like my avatar picture. It is Ron holding this bird, and I bought it from him. He however is not one of Rons Nunis Birchens. Gold and pumpkin are different. I all the time seem to here people talking about pumpkins and asking if a bird is a pumpkin. My question though is pumpkin what?? Pumpkin and gold are colors,, and you may find them coming out of many different families of birds.

CrowsNestFarm
June 22nd, 2011, 06:02 AM
wow silrsdmoon, troublemaker is the right name for that guy. The birchens must have to be serperated really ealy!

3spurr
June 22nd, 2011, 01:34 PM
what is the diff birchens that lutz has and styl

Goldenbirchens
June 22nd, 2011, 09:42 PM
http://thefallcreekranch.com/gamefowl/img/lutz_nunis.jpg

This is a Lutz Nunis Birchen that I took a picture of about a month ago at Rons place. This is Rons standard for how they should.

This is the family that Ron has had for many years. It is the ONLY "family" of Birchens that Ron has. He has had other Birchens. He has had some Sears blood, Farris blood, and McBride. not much, but some. I bought all of the Farris blood that he had left. He lost his McBride rooster. He has one hen that is 1/4 McBride. He has a little of the Sears blood in part of his Nunis Family.

As to style, these are Rons words, and historically speaking. "they watch the air show and kill the other rooster when he hits the ground" I have also heard him say many times you dont need his family of Birchens, all you need is a hen, and you can go a long way with the hen.

I also like the Hulseys I see posted here they are very good looking and great birds.
Guys I dont mean to be rude but this is a thread on Yellow Birchens. Lets start another thread for the Husleys to help with the confusion some may get from confusing the two.

CrowsNestFarm
June 22nd, 2011, 10:38 PM

This is a Lutz Nunis Birchen that I took a picture of about a month ago at Rons place. This is Rons standard for how they should.

This is the family that Ron has had for many years. It is the ONLY "family" of Birchens that Ron has. He has had other Birchens. He has had some Sears blood, Farris blood, and McBride. not much, but some. I bought all of the Farris blood that he had left. He lost his McBride rooster. He has one hen that is 1/4 McBride. He has a little of the Sears blood in part of his Nunis Family.

As to style, these are Rons words, and historically speaking. "they watch the air show and kill the other rooster when he hits the ground" I have also heard him say many times you dont need his family of Birchens, all you need is a hen, and you can go a long way with the hen.

I also like the Hulseys I see posted here they are very good looking and great birds.
Guys I dont mean to be rude but this is a thread on Yellow Birchens. Lets start another thread for the Husleys to help with the confusion some may get from confusing the two.

I agree Golden, i wouldnt mind if it went back to the original topic line. Although the Husleys are a nice bird to look at.

silver2dmoon
June 23rd, 2011, 12:09 AM
Thanks Golden for sharing more info what to expect from the Nunis blood. We have some little ones free ranging in Texas w/ 1/8 of my Nunis blood. And I still have not heard from my buddy that any of them were trouble makers like their grand dad...;- ) By the way, so Ron don't have any other Birchen except for the Nunis ? I admire him for that.... when I bought my Birchens from him, I asked him the same question... if you will keep only one family of Birchens in your yard... that's what I want to have. And he gave me his Nunis. What a true gentleman.

CrowsNestFarm
June 24th, 2011, 02:07 AM
[QUOTE=slipspur;3707260]I thought I'd be there in the P.I. long before now... I have to sell my place here to be able to afford the move... the market is so slow & we've only had 2 people even look so far... as far as sending birds over, I'm ahead of ya... I've sent birds on over to 2 different fellas.

Yea ive heard the market there in the us is really slow. If I was older and had my school debt out of the way and my career started Id come take a look at your place. I feel like moving to the states when im older. Dont know why, maybe just want to have the experience lol. Good on you for having some birds over in the P.I, have you been able to get any results from your birds in the competition over there?

gacocker
February 4th, 2012, 11:27 PM
I wonder what a birchen over a regular gray would be like? I tried the cross with one of my 2 gray hens an the nunis pair killed her so I am going to single mate the other.....I think they would produce good gaff birds? And what would they look like? Any ideas

Mike Everett
February 4th, 2012, 11:49 PM
I wonder what a birchen over a regular gray would be like? I tried the cross with one of my 2 gray hens an the nunis pair killed her so I am going to single mate her.....I think they would produce good gaff birds? And what would they look like? Any ideas

Gacocker, I'm breeding one of Ron's WL Birchens over a Frost hen, don't know what they will produce, but I bet it's colorful.......LOL

gacocker
February 5th, 2012, 12:11 AM
Haha we might end up with some birds that are alike and yea I bet it will be colorful I am thinking mine will be yl grays with a some kind of ginger white mix backs and slow but accurate with a real punch

Goldenbirchens
February 5th, 2012, 02:00 PM
That could be interesting Mike.

Caliblue,

Is that a pumpkin hulsey or a birchen?? My gold birds are Farris/Davis Birchens. They are white leg. When I crossed them on Rons Nunis I got white and Yellow Both

Caliblue10
February 5th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Hen is Hulsy. Cock was Huls/ radio. Out of 4the 2 came out gold like this and other 2 came out darker..ill see if I can find a pic of a brother

Caliblue10
February 5th, 2012, 02:10 PM
The father..2 of the stags came out more like cock...and 2 are gold like above

Goldenbirchens
February 5th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Sir this is a post about Birchens. There are lots of other Hulsey posts that you can post these pictures. they look very nice, but leads to confusion.

Caliblue10
February 5th, 2012, 02:23 PM
If its an issue a moderator can move them to correct tread. So no one gets confused

silver2dmoon
February 6th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Hi Cali, I guess Golden is simply reminding that the thread is mainly about Birchens...not an issue if you post anything about Hulseys I guess... but it's a request that the thread remain focus on topic. Regards.

Hotcocker
February 6th, 2012, 08:55 AM
I saw one shown in gaff while visiting mexico yesterday believe it or not.. anyways.. he had won a long drag before, but was shown again yesterday and did ok but was not able to pull out another win, i know where the guys blood came from it is top notch, but this was a pea comb bird so he was some sort of a cross, but pumkin as the day is long so couldnt have been more than a 1/4 of the "dirty" blood so to say, and likely 1/8th

tagulipas
February 6th, 2012, 07:19 PM
guys what can you recommend...what bloodline suited to cross with gold/birchen

thanks

CALVIN2
February 6th, 2012, 11:00 PM
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp258/j-nantz_2008/CopyofNUNES44.jpg

full NUNIS BIRCHEN stag 2011

Goldenbirchens
February 6th, 2012, 11:02 PM
He sure looks good Calvin2. Awesome bird.

CALVIN2
February 6th, 2012, 11:10 PM
He sure looks good Calvin2. Awesome bird.

Salamat kaibigan ,Ako have some good looking Fallcreek Birchen's ako really like too.

silver2dmoon
February 7th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Beautiful Birchen stag....

hitmonkey 2
February 7th, 2012, 08:45 AM
I have never seen Golds or pumpkins are birchens that could ever win consistently in tuff competition

CALVIN2
February 7th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I have never seen Golds or pumpkins are birchens that could ever win consistently in tuff competition

I guess you have seen a lot fought in big competition to make that assessment .I sure haven't ,nor have I seen any of your birds in any gallery .

gacocker
February 7th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Calvin your nunis looks good I will try to post mine from Ron tomorrow it looks more like the one at the top of the page with the white but I hope to get some like yours

Nightfury
February 7th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Calvin, the birchen stag of yours is a 10+

Engkanto
February 7th, 2012, 11:01 AM

Really nice stag Calvin2.

CALVIN2
February 7th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Thank you gentlemen for the kind words ,we shall see how they are ,they are starting to impress me ,still young ..time will tell .

silver2dmoon
February 8th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Hi Calv,
My birchens impressed me at the age of 2 weeks... and nothing can change my mind ever. If anyone has not seen any Birchens that impress them... they probably don't have one :) Regards.

Thank you gentlemen for the kind words ,we shall see how they are ,they are starting to impress me ,still young ..time will tell .

CrowsNestFarm
February 9th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Very nice stag Calvin2 Excellent shape and all around looks. Like him alot.

hitmonkey 2
February 9th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I didn't say I have seen a lot of them fight I said I have never seen any that could win in tuff competition pretty much all I have seen are junk yours might be different but I doubt it

CALVIN2
February 9th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Your not quite the gentleman your father is ,but I do appreciate your concern ,I think they will be just fine .

Hotcocker
February 9th, 2012, 09:37 PM
personally i like the whiote legged lookin ones better... if it matters

YeY197
February 9th, 2012, 10:59 PM
I've seen alot of Ron Lutzs they are far better crossed and they tend to do better as they age, I've never owned them but most say they have to be atleast 3 yrs old to get the best out of them..I think if Bart works on them he could bring them back to a level they once where, there is alot of good birds out there these days the Birchens just need to be in good hands and somebody has to test them and work with them.

CALVIN2
February 10th, 2012, 03:38 AM
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp258/j-nantz_2008/BIRCHEN.jpg
white leg

CALVIN2
February 10th, 2012, 03:40 AM
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp258/j-nantz_2008/fallscreekwhitegold.jpg
WHITE GOLD from FALLCREEK FARM BLOOD LINE

silver2dmoon
February 10th, 2012, 03:45 AM
BIRCHEN as a STRAIN and not simply a color.

This history is a condensed version of articles published in the Gamecock magazine written by Mr. Gus Frithiof and a cocker from South Africa.

The Birchens were known in England as the British Shawls for their beautiful flow of hackle over their shoulders, and as the Tribe in Ireland. In breeding they were Herrisford or O'Callaghan fowl, which were supposed to have been the Hugo Meynell strain, which were the old Gornall Greys.

gacocker
February 10th, 2012, 06:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUY0OlkD_fg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

gacocker
February 10th, 2012, 06:15 AM
I need to put some kind of bedding but I don't know what kind, I cant find corn husks will regular hay or straw do for now? I am so worn out alot of work for a 16 year old I did 90% of this by myself and uncle helped me with the rest

And I hate posting this after calvins his look so good

Hotcocker
February 10th, 2012, 08:17 AM
for litter , use cedar shaving mixed with manure or something if no shucks around, the cedar should help keep mites of them as some straw actually carries mites.. so i shy away from it.

CALVIN2
February 10th, 2012, 10:47 AM
GACOCKER good looking pens sir ,like your birds too ,I will help you anytime you need it ,just ask .and you are correct its a lot of work .

Goldenbirchens
February 10th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I will have to agree with what Calvin2 said, Gacocker. Very nice job on your pens.

Calvin2, this stag is by the cock, that is a brother to yours. He is a real late hatch, and quite a bit younger. His mother is pure a Nunis hen from Ron that went back to a cock he called Goliath. She looks like the ones that came from Slip, and from Carl. She is one of the 4 pure Nunis hens I am single mating this year.

I should note, this is the stag, I put in with an Oconell Albany pullet.

Falkor
February 10th, 2012, 11:06 AM
I need to put some kind of bedding but I don't know what kind, I cant find corn husks will regular hay or straw do for now? I am so worn out alot of work for a 16 year old I did 90% of this by myself and uncle helped me with the rest

And I hate posting this after calvins his look so good

Your pens look way better than mine did at 16, I'm finally building a few pens that I dreamed of having at that age. Don't stress on bedding for now, get your pens finished and relax a couple days, that ground won't hurt those birds ;)

Sidgrey
February 10th, 2012, 12:23 PM
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp258/j-nantz_2008/BIRCHEN.jpg
white leg

Good looking fowl..These are some of the better station ones i have seen in a while.

English fighter
February 10th, 2012, 03:45 PM
i love the old English game birds i breed them all my life they mite be slower then USA birds
but if you want a proper game bird then old English game are the game est in my eyes but then i am English and live in the UK but i will say 1 thing if we had the amount of birds hear in the UK as u do in the USA and phi we wood still kick ass 100% i wood love to get some good blood from the USA( but we cant lol )to mix a small amount of speed in to the cross

gacocker
February 10th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Thank Calvin, falkor and goldenbirchens.... Do you ever get stags that have a lot of white like mine molt out without any white?And when Ron first sent these they had really yellow legs and now it is muddy but there is very little yellow is that bc of stress or not the same feed?

CALVIN2
February 10th, 2012, 10:45 PM
i love the old English game birds i breed them all my life they mite be slower then USA birds
but if you want a proper game bird then old English game are the game est in my eyes but then i am English and live in the UK but i will say 1 thing if we had the amount of birds hear in the UK as u do in the USA and phi we wood still kick ass 100% i wood love to get some good blood from the USA( but we cant lol )to mix a small amount of speed in to the cross
What do you mean can't is importing from the US prohibited ??

silver2dmoon
February 10th, 2012, 11:41 PM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w1/silver2dmoon/2009OCT28137.jpg

My Nunis stag from Ron (bottom pics) when I first got him around 2007. Sent him to Texas when I quit the sport
and heard that he was taken by some varmint. Not that pretty as a stag but he surely impressed me
when I saw his crossed ofspring (center pix) His first day out of the pen to free range after keeping him
for two weeks to get well from some trouble while free ranging...

I never thought he would get into another trouble after his first trouble w/ a big bird. I guess Nunis
are not that smart...so I learned when I heard banging while working on the yard far from this pen
about an hour after I took this pics... I rushed and saw him with his head inside the pen (not shown)
right next to this pen shown in the picture trying to get inside and slugging it out with a penned stag
as big as the one shown. The other pen did not have that wire mesh. To prevent this trouble from repeating...
I have no choice but to keep him caged forever never to free range again. (Apologies... I have to remove the pix
of the trouble maker to avoid being misinterpreted by the looks of him).

gacocker, this baby stag (crossed nunis-roundhead) was all white (see top photo with his siblings and
mama free ranging) when he came out of the egg untill new feathers came out (black breasted red). http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w1/silver2dmoon/YELLOWBIRCHEN20FEB2009.jpg

Goldenbirchens
February 11th, 2012, 12:44 AM
This is the first "Nunis" stag I got from Ron. He came with lots of white. When he molted, he lost it all. Same bird. When I really started to sort things out and find out what his Nunis were, I found out he had his original Nunis birds that he had for many years. Later he got some Martell Whitehackle, Sears Birchen, and more recently my Gold Birchen "Ned" that I got from him also. At some point, some of this blood has been put into different lines of his "Nunis" Birchens.

The cock pictured below is 1/8 Sears blood.

Most recently he used my Pumpkin Gleeson stag. In the future, that blood could be in part of it as well. The cock pictured is a little more Ginger in color. Rons "Ginger" came from Sears.

The hen you have looks much more like the hen that I got as a pullet with this stag. She was also 1/8 Sears. She is what Ron calls "pencil backed"

I have asked over and over about his "pencil" back hens. I he always tells me the same thing. Some of his original hens came looking like that, and some more buff in color like the other ones.

I will get more pictures up later of some of the other Nunis Birds, incl the pure Nunis with no outside blood.

http://thefallcreekranch.com/gamefowl/img/searsnunis_stag.jpg

http://thefallcreekranch.com/gamefowl/img/nunis_lutz.jpg

silver2dmoon
February 11th, 2012, 01:02 AM
Pix of my Nunis as a 2 year old cock ( with lesser white). http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w1/silver2dmoon/DSCN1196_edited-1.jpg

Goldenbirchens
February 11th, 2012, 01:13 AM
Silver,

I talked to Ron last night, about what we were talking about. He said the ones that you got were probably the pure Nunis. It is hard to say for sure because Ferdie got several from him.

The one you had looks super nice. He is very likely the same blood as what Cavin2, Lkystrk, and I are all working with that should be his old pure Nunis family. The one I just pictured is NOT.

Goldenbirchens
February 11th, 2012, 01:23 AM
http://thefallcreekranch.com/gamefowl/img/nunis_slips.jpg

Here is one of the cocks. I am single mating him to two different pure hens now. This is the cock that "slip" got as a pair from Ron. He went down to Lkystrk and he brought him up to me.

gacocker
February 11th, 2012, 01:54 AM
So my nunis blood is not the same as y'all nunis blood :(

Goldenbirchens
February 11th, 2012, 02:44 AM
It is very hard to say for sure. He may be, or could have had other blood put in them. He looks much the same. The hen looks similar to one I had that was 1/8 sears. Like I said though Ron has told me more than once that his original hens came both ways. It has been a puzzle to say the least. I have gotten several birds from Ron and gotten to be good friends. I will try to find out what yours are. I talk to him dailey and have for the last 3 years. Are you in Ga ? And how long ago did you get them? I can ask him about them that way.

Gypsygamefarm
February 11th, 2012, 03:13 AM
I don't know what a birchen is . Is it like a asile

slipspur
February 11th, 2012, 04:33 AM
I don't know what a birchen is . Is it like a asile

Not at all... they are just an old family of Whitehackle...

Hotcocker
February 11th, 2012, 05:35 AM
Not at all... they are just an old family of Whitehackle...

in actuality isnt birchin used in the makings of all the old families of whitehackles? i was always understood they were one of the very very oldest and gamest families of fowl and used as seed stock hundreds of years ago.

silver2dmoon
February 11th, 2012, 05:42 AM
BIRCHEN as a STRAIN and not simply a color.

A few words about Yellow Birchen from the Gamecock magazine.

This history is a condensed version of articles published in the Gamecock magazine written by Mr. Gus Frithiof and a cocker from South Africa.

The Birchens were known in England as the British Shawls for their beautiful flow of hackle over their shoulders, and as the Tribe in Ireland. In breeding they were Herrisford or O'Callaghan fowl, which were supposed to have been the Hugo Meynell strain, which were the old Gornall Greys.

silver2dmoon
February 11th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Thanks Golden...
Unfortunately, he's history now... :(

... but the memory lives on !

Silver,

I talked to Ron last night, about what we were talking about. He said the ones that you got were probably the pure Nunis. It is hard to say for sure because Ferdie got several from him.

The one you had looks super nice. He is very likely the same blood as what Cavin2, Lkystrk, and I are all working with that should be his old pure Nunis family. The one I just pictured is NOT.

silver2dmoon
February 11th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Golden,
The way I look at it... you are so lucky to have these birds in your hands with the help of good friends like Slip and Lkystrk. If I were you, I'd buy a powerball ticket today for $310 Million. Or better yet... give me your lucky number and I'll buy the ticket over here :D

http://thefallcreekranch.com/gamefowl/img/nunis_slips.jpg

Here is one of the cocks. I am single mating him to two different pure hens now. This is the cock that "slip" got as a pair from Ron. He went down to Lkystrk and he brought him up to me.

gacocker
February 11th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Ok goldenbirchens I am just wondering Ron was very nice to me and cut me a great deal on them but they shipped on 1/5 and I got them an got them the next day

gacocker
February 11th, 2012, 06:51 AM
I just talked to Ron he said she was a 1/16 sears and the stag didn't have any in him so offspring will b 1/32 sears so almost no sears at all.... What is the sears like any ways? All and all I love these birds time will tell how much :)

Calvin what goes into the makeup of them white golds?

Goldenbirchens
February 11th, 2012, 09:25 AM
The father of your stag is the cock back on about page 4. I took the pic for Ron last fall. He is Ron's favorite brood cock and according to him a perfect Birchen. He is a son of "tank" who was by Goliath. Goliath was one of Ron's original Nunis birchens. The mother of your stag went back to a green legged hen that Ron has mentioned several times but he doesn't remember where she came from.

Your pullet is by a beautiful ginger cock that Ron sent to a man out east. I may have a picture of him. He was part Sears. I was thinking 1/2 but not sure. The mother of your pullet is either a hen he called "one spur" or went back to her. I am not sure. He was real fond of that hen also.

gacocker
February 11th, 2012, 09:42 AM
ok well i guess the exact % of sears blood is unknown so ill just call them nunis lol..... it seems that my pair came from a good cock and hen so i could not be more pleased :)
and my stag looks just like the cock on page 4 just without the perdy tail but that will change

Goldenbirchens
February 11th, 2012, 09:53 AM
And that is what Ron calls them as well. Your stag my end up nicer than the cock. He is a little short but beautiful. I have more pics of Ron holding him before he got trimmed. Go to the Facebook page I built for Ron. He is on there. The pic with Ron sitting in his house with the cock on his lap. He had lost part of his comb in the cold. It's the same cock though.

gacocker
February 11th, 2012, 10:08 AM
i just went and looked he looks good!!!! he looks better trimed up i think

Goldenbirchens
February 11th, 2012, 01:12 PM
http://thefallcreekranch.com/gamefowl/img/lutz_slip.jpg

My Favorite Nunis cock. He was raised by "Slipspur", and is out of a trio that he got from Ron that Lkystrk has now.

Calvin2, this bird would be a brother to your cock.

Goldenbirchens
February 11th, 2012, 01:17 PM
http://thefallcreekranch.com/gamefowl/img/slip_10.jpg

My favorite Nunis hen. Raised by "Slipspur" and a sister to the above cock. She is being bred to the older cock above that still has his comb.

joero21
February 11th, 2012, 01:29 PM
http://thefallcreekranch.com/gamefowl/img/lutz_slip.jpg

My Favorite Nunis cock. He was raised by "Slipspur", and is out of a trio that he got from Ron that Lkystrk has now.

Calvin2, this bird would be a brother to your cock.

Man he looks awesome sir! .

silver2dmoon
February 11th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Dang ... the moment I saw this pix.... I thought I was looking at my former old Blueface hen. This straight comb hens have a way to look alike especially when inbred. Beautiful hen Golden.

My favorite Nunis hen. Raised by "Slipspur" and a sister to the above cock. She is being bred to the older cock above that still has his comb.

Goldenbirchens
February 15th, 2012, 11:44 PM
http://thefallcreekranch.com/gamefowl/img/pure_nunis.jpg

Another pic of pure cock. (original pair "Slip")

Goldenbirchens
February 16th, 2012, 01:37 AM
http://thefallcreekranch.com/gamefowl/img/nunis_sears.jpg.jpg

This is the first Nunis I got from Ron, as a stag. Picture taken two days ago. When I later asked him exactly how he is bred I found out he was 1/8 Sears blood.

silver2dmoon
February 16th, 2012, 01:47 AM
I hope he's not simply relying on memory...otherwise ask him a few days later and he might say he is a straight Nunis...:p
But no matter what he is... he sure looks great... strong birds get stronger in that weather while the weak perish. All the best to your breeding Golden !!!

This is the first Nunis I got from Ron, as a stag. Picture taken two days ago. When I later asked him exactly how he is bred I found out he was 1/8 Sears blood.

Goldenbirchens
February 16th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Silver you are very true.. He does a little of both, Memory, notes, and notes he can't find. Some marked some not, and some not that are a mark. LOL. i Have picked his brian and memory nearly every day for the last 3 years. LOL. I am far from knowing it all that is for sure. But if it is possible "at all" I have figured out what I have and for many others. Many have gotten Birchens from him, but in trying to figure it all out I will ask him how they are bred. Sometimes he will remember based on their feet, and who got them and the year. I will say this and believe it is very true. If someone got birds years back, such as "Newton" who no longer raises chickens. They were very likely his "pure" Nunis birchens or his pure Texas Duryeas. If they were obtained in the last several years it is hard to say for sure what they are.

Most ALL of his Duryeas now are a blend between the Tx and Al blood. What is that?? Well he can't find the notes and I have quit asking. The Al was from a farmer that had Dureyas for 2 or 3 generations. The Tx was a man that advertised whitehackles for sale that was suppose to be a feeder for Friothoff. What I do know is that Duryeas were made years ago from Birchens, and I have many Duryeas from Ron, and just got some from Kincannon. Kens look alot like Birchens.

What about the Nunis Birchens? Well I have the mans name written down at home and I am not there. He basically found them on a yard, and called them Nunis Birchens because they look like Birchens. Ron named them Birchens and what is wrong with that. He has been breeding them for many years and they are "His Birchens" I believe the older original stain might be the best. Later on, some lines had Sears, Martell, or "Gold" Farris/Davis added to the Mix.

For my purpose and Breeding, I am going to breed the older original blood, and am working with a friend to lets say breed to specific traits. This is with Rons Nunis blood, with my other Birchen families I am not sure the direction I am going quite yet.

I am not an expert, and do not claim to be. Ron is also a good friend and great guy. Everyone including him will breed their birds the way they think will work best. Ron is an honest man and a great guy to talk to. There are many on this site that are experts and I look to for their advice. Im just trying to do my homework, and in the end does the history really matter, or is "pretty is as pretty does" ?

I will also add this. There is a man I know that had Rons birds not too many years ago, and used them here in this country when it was still legal. Again, that was not many years back. When the laws changed he has gotten out. For those that know him and may wonder about these birds talk to Ferdi.

hitmonkey!!!
February 16th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Goldenbirchen those birchens you posted pics of look good i like that gold look!

silver2dmoon
February 16th, 2012, 02:16 AM
Golden... as history has shed light on how legends were made... mostly were by accident.

Who knows... you might bump into your own fortunate accident luckily :)
In that case, history will not matter as a new history (of Nunis) will evolve in your hands.

You are doing great... I wish you the very best. Silver

Silver you are very true.. He does a little of both, Memory, notes, and notes he can't find. Some marked some not, and some not that are a mark. LOL. i Have picked his brian and memory nearly every day for the last 3 years. LOL. I am far from knowing it all that is for sure. But if it is possible "at all" I have figured out what I have and for many others. Many of gotten Birchens from him, but in trying to figure it all out I will ask him how they are bred. Sometimes he will remember based on their feet, and who got them and the year. I will say this and believe it is very true. If someone got birds years back, such as "Newton" who no longer raises chickens. They were very likely his "pure" Nunis birchens or his pure Texas Duryeas. If they were obtained in the last several years it is hard to say for sure what they are.

Most ALL of his Duryeas now are a blend between the Tx and Al blood. What is that?? Well he can't find the notes and I have quit asking. The Al was from a farmer that had Dureyas for 2 or 3 generations. The Tx was a man that advertised whitehackles for sale that was suppose to be a feeder for Friothoff. What I do know is that Duryeas were made years ago from Birchens, and I have many Duryeas from Ron, and just got some from Kincannon. Kens look alot like Birchens.

What about the Nunis Birchens? Well I have the mans name written down at home and I am not there. He basically found them on a yard, and called them Nunis Birchens because they look like Birchens. Ron named them Birchens and what is wrong with that. He has been breeding them for many years and they are "His Birchens" I believe the older original stain might be the best. Later on, some lines had Sears, Martell, or "Gold" Farris/Davis added to the Mix.

For my purpose and Breeding, I am going to breed the older original blood, and am working with a friend to lets say breed to specific traits. This is with Rons Nunis blood, with my other Birchen families I am not sure the direction I am going quite yet.

I am not an expert, and do not claim to be. Ron is also a good friend and great guy. Everyone including him will breed their birds the way they think will work best. Ron is an honest man and a great guy to talk to. There are many on this site that are experts and I look to for their advice. Im just trying to do my homework, and in the end does the history really matter, or is "pretty is as pretty does" ?

slipspur
March 18th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Historically... when sparred they look like they couldn't whip their sisters... when the steel was applied... they still looked like they were getting whipped... then, seemingly out of nowhere... the other bird would just fall over... crossed with very athletic birds is the way to go.

Goldenbirchens
March 18th, 2012, 07:29 AM
You didn't read what Slip put down. It looked like they couldn't whip their sister, then the other bird fell over dead. That was pure. Crossed was the way to go though.

slipspur
March 18th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Crossed on my McLean ( Romero ), they are as good as any man could want at 1/2 & 1/2... the McLean puts the fight in em... the Birchen puts deadly cut... they knick very well... or did for me anyway.

silver2dmoon
June 14th, 2012, 01:28 AM
Howdy Golden !

Just touching base on this great thread :) Wondering if you have pix of your biddies.

Regards.

GG Crasher
June 14th, 2012, 02:23 AM

wow great looking hen a solid body with her long spur...

Hotcocker
June 14th, 2012, 02:57 AM
Honostly, id like to have a bro and sis.. so I could Inbreed the living chit out of them and see what popped out! lolol.. im just the curious type tho lol.. plus make awsome pullets for crossing till i was done playing lol... a would probably try the nunis RH cross immediately after getting eggs from the inbred f1s on the bro and sis mating.. prolly be some barn burners.. them rhs of mine aint no joke on athletics!

silver2dmoon
June 14th, 2012, 04:43 AM
What kind of RH do you have ? Regards.

Honostly, id like to have a bro and sis.. so I could Inbreed the living chit out of them and see what popped out! lolol.. im just the curious type tho lol.. plus make awsome pullets for crossing till i was done playing lol... a would probably try the nunis RH cross immediately after getting eggs from the inbred f1s on the bro and sis mating.. prolly be some barn burners.. them rhs of mine aint no joke on athletics!

Hotcocker
June 14th, 2012, 04:58 AM
My own brand, i made them myself about 20 years ago, been real good to me, mostly lacy blood, got some other things in there too though.

brownred30
June 14th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Historically... when sparred they look like they couldn't whip their sisters... when the steel was applied... they still looked like they were getting whipped... then, seemingly out of nowhere... the other bird would just fall over... crossed with very athletic birds is the way to go.

You just described some Grove WH i used to have...
They looked a lot like the birchens.
http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg635/brownred30/birds121.jpg

greenlegs
June 14th, 2012, 05:12 AM
That's a nice one you got there....

You just described some Grove WH i used to have...
They looked a lot like the birchens.
http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg635/brownred30/birds121.jpg

Engkanto
June 14th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Calvin2, this stag is by the cock, that is a brother to yours. He is a real late hatch, and quite a bit younger. His mother is pure a Nunis hen from Ron that went back to a cock he called Goliath. She looks like the ones that came from Slip, and from Carl. She is one of the 4 pure Nunis hens I am single mating this year.

I should note, this is the stag, I put in with an Oconell Albany pullet.

Bart, just wondering how the Nunis Birchen x O'Connell Albany crosses look like. Do you have any picture of these crosses?

Thanks!

gacocker
June 15th, 2012, 03:01 AM
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w461/gacocker/birchens/photo5.png

I put this on some other thread just thought I would share one this one also

jungold
June 15th, 2012, 03:11 AM
Crossed on my McLean ( Romero ), they are as good as any man could want at 1/2 & 1/2... the McLean puts the fight in em... the Birchen puts deadly cut... they knick very well... or did for me anyway.

Thanks Slips for the info , I'll remember that.....................:cool:

greenlegs
June 15th, 2012, 03:17 AM
He seem pretty gentle.... nice one too !

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w461/gacocker/birchens/photo5.png

I put this on some other thread just thought I would share one this one also

greenlegs
June 15th, 2012, 03:21 AM
This year we have biddies that are 1/2 Mclanahan but can't post pix yet at this time... hopefully soon... but can't wait to see the added cut that some (I hope all) would get. I wonder if they would turn out to be like a Michael Jordan type of bids :p

gacocker
June 15th, 2012, 03:24 AM
He seem pretty gentle.... nice one too !

Thanks, he is very gentle i pick him up everyday and walk around with him he seems to like it

greenlegs
June 15th, 2012, 04:08 AM
From which breeder did you get your Birchens ? Is he a straight Nunis or something else ? Regards.

Thanks, he is very gentle i pick him up everyday and walk around with him he seems to like it

gacocker
June 15th, 2012, 05:48 AM
From which breeder did you get your Birchens ? Is he a straight Nunis or something else ? Regards.
He is straight nunis from Ron Lutz. The pullet I got with him has some sears blood in her it is a small amount. So the stag is from his older stock and the pullet has some of the blood he freshened them with in her.

Goldenbirchens
June 15th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Engcanto,

I decided not to continue with the OConnells. I needed the breeding pen and through the pullet on the yard and put the nunis stag in a stag pen. Right now the pullet is setting in a few pure Nunis eggs.

Your stag looks nice Gacocker. I hope you can raise several. I think you will like them.

gacocker
June 15th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Thank you Bart sir. I hatched a good bit but it seems the hawks love that golden color I put my pullets up bc that is what I really need from them.

tylerjapsil
June 15th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Thank you Bart sir. I hatched a good bit but it seems the hawks love that golden color I put my pullets up bc that is what I really need from them.
i know what you mean i have to pen up all my birds or the hawks will get them if not the owls will at night when their roosting, hard to keep a close watch 24/7

CALVIN2
June 15th, 2012, 11:06 AM
GOOD LOOKING BIRD .GACOCKER ,Hope you save most of them ,I feel your pain lost 33 to predators so far .

greenlegs
November 22nd, 2012, 08:23 AM
Hi ga... no wonder he is so easy to handle... you pick him up everyday...and that's how it should be done. Good for you... how did your breeding turn out this year ?

Outlaw greys
November 22nd, 2012, 09:54 AM
Where have you been ga i havent heard from you in a while a fox got the birchen/grey stag the other night

silver2dmoon
November 24th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Bart,

Your PM is full.......... :rolleyes:

Engcanto,

I decided not to continue with the OConnells. I needed the breeding pen and through the pullet on the yard and put the nunis stag in a stag pen. Right now the pullet is setting in a few pure Nunis eggs.

Your stag looks nice Gacocker. I hope you can raise several. I think you will like them.

greenlegs
November 28th, 2012, 01:57 AM
JUST want to thank GoldenBirchens for gifting me this wonderful Birchen hen. I can't thank you enough my friend. I have the nicest stag for her this coming breeding season. I'm a happy camper ! ; )

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w1/silver2dmoon/BOEWE15THBIRCHEN.jpg

Goldenbirchens
November 28th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Your very welcome my friend. I hope she does very well for you.

Engkanto
November 28th, 2012, 09:09 AM
JUST want to thank GoldenBirchens for gifting me this wonderful Birchen hen. I can't thank you enough my friend. I have the nicest stag for her this coming breeding season. I'm a happy camper ! ; )

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w1/silver2dmoon/BOEWE15THBIRCHEN.jpg

I agree, she is really nice. Good luck breeding her.

Hulsey602
December 1st, 2012, 05:16 AM
[Nunis birchen I received from Ron this year

IMG]http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l278/ddahlbe3/IMAG0563-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Goldenbirchens
December 2nd, 2012, 08:02 AM
Nunis stag from Ron. I believe you but his original pure family ?? Hmmmm. See anything a little fishy?

Dahltay
December 2nd, 2012, 08:06 AM
Nunis stag from Ron. I believe you but his original pure family ?? Hmmmm. See anything a little fishy?

You talking about the stag or the hens head in the background?

Hulsey602
December 4th, 2012, 02:57 AM
I don't know you tell me your the birchen expert..that's what he told me

Hulsey602
December 4th, 2012, 06:33 AM
I just hears back from Ron I was wrong he is Farris/Davis his come yellow legged

greenlegs
December 7th, 2012, 04:00 AM
You are right that he is the birchen expert... he can smell something fishy just by looking at your picture. It's good that you were able to identify your stag as Farris/Davis. I obtained my Birchen from GoldenBirchen where stories about his Birchens never change by the minuite... One can be confident that what you see is what you get. Best.

I don't know you tell me your the birchen expert..that's what he told me

GoldenSpangle
January 27th, 2013, 02:35 AM
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a487/GoldenSpangle/goldenspanglegn_zpsf326338c.png
my Golden Spangle

bull499
January 27th, 2013, 09:31 AM
my silver back birchen cock,breeding over bf/givens crossed hens this year
http://i47.tinypic.com/2e6ahx2.jpg

CrowsNestFarm
March 19th, 2013, 09:04 AM
some good looking birds been posted guys! Hows the birchen hatching going for all those with birchens to hatch!?

DeepSouth
March 20th, 2013, 10:11 AM

If that cock was little deeper red with less pumkin color he would look just like my 1/2 Gleason x 1/2 Morgan crosses, which he looks like the Morgan any way. Just too much pumkin in there both the crosses and the straight Morgans have a little pumkin colored in the breast, my dad used to call it brazen breast I think, but they were mainly BB red with alot showing through their shawls and and next to the tails

cockfighter_199
April 20th, 2013, 06:25 AM
I got to ask how is the gameness on these? Are these like your typical WH and Butcher fowl that are dead game like none other?

DeepSouth
April 21st, 2013, 01:45 AM
[QUOTE=hitmonkey 2;4008011]I didn't say I have seen a lot of them fight I said I have never seen any that could win in tuff competition pretty much all I have seen are junk yours might be different but I doubt it[/QUOTE

Is this Kenny Bishop? If so I hated to hear JD passed away I know it has been several years, but hell it has been longer than that since I saw you @ Wedowee, or Yellowleaf hell I don't remember, lol been a long time, I moved away from North Georgia and I lost contact with alot of ppl, was talking to George Llewellyn the other day and he told me about JD, do you still have those Madigin Greys?

Perfect-Gull
April 21st, 2013, 04:29 AM
Nice looking Birchen Deep south! Almost like a whitehackle/punkin cross, if I saw that cock I would of thought it was a whitehackle cross, but looks can be deceiving!

Dahltay
November 5th, 2013, 05:19 AM
wanted to bump up this birchen thread anyone have anything new to add to this? i will add some pictures of a few of mine this evening.