PDA

View Full Version : feeding laying pellets

mcleanhatch1
May 15th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Is it good to feed laying pellets to roosters? I mix it up with conditioning feed.. And how do i get them to eat the pellets? All the eat are the seeds and leave the pellets on the ground.

ums94
May 15th, 2012, 01:11 AM
feed them nothing else but pellets, they will eventually get used to them.

mcleanhatch1
May 15th, 2012, 01:13 AM
okay, thanks ums94! but is it good for them? it has 16% protein.

ums94
May 15th, 2012, 01:25 AM
Yes its good for them, I got help from a bud about mixing feed, if your interested its in the Spanish Only forum..if you can manage to translate it or I can pm it to you translater later today.. it has the Breeder or Layer pellets which is available in your local feed store.
http://www.sabong.net.ph/forum/showthread.php?p=4114432#post4114432

Mason Farms
May 15th, 2012, 01:56 AM
All we feed on our farm is pellets. 16% for general maintenance, 22% to the brood stock and the young ones when they are big enough to eat em. All our fowl stay in good health year round and keep good bodies on them even through the molt...

Sugarcreek
May 15th, 2012, 02:12 AM
Is it good to feed laying pellets to roosters? I mix it up with conditioning feed.. And how do i get them to eat the pellets? All the eat are the seeds and leave the pellets on the ground.

I cant get my birds to eat seeds....

mcleanhatch1
May 15th, 2012, 02:32 AM
yeah that will be great ums94!

mcleanhatch1
May 15th, 2012, 07:51 AM
what brands do you like the best?

don128
May 15th, 2012, 07:57 AM
I like the Orcheln brand in my area, They have alot of calcium, and are dark brown "fresh", I don't like white powder type feed that is not fresh and can cause problems with the fowl, and kill chicks. I always feed fresh type pellets, that are dark and that I can smell. strong smell

ums94
May 15th, 2012, 09:24 AM
what brands do you like the best?

Currently i am using the Southern States brand, I saw another brand on a Big Blue Store.... which are a dollar cheaper, don't know the brand but i might try them.

Sentenciador
May 15th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Why do roosters love eating laying pellets?

That's really my pet peeve.

I go as far as taking the rooster out of the pen so he doesn't eat the ration of the hens.

They just love it for some odd reason.

Sugarcreek
May 15th, 2012, 11:54 AM

I go as far as taking the rooster out of the pen so he doesn't eat the ration of the hens.

If they ever eat a pellet they will learn that is where all the protien, vitiam and minerals are at. So let them eat it they are craving something that they are not getting with your grains. Same thing is true about dog food... They will eat it first even if they are feed pellets... They get something that the other feed isnt giving them.

Getlucky
May 16th, 2012, 03:24 PM
All we feed on our farm is pellets. 16% for general maintenance, 22% to the brood stock and the young ones when they are big enough to eat em. All our fowl stay in good health year round and keep good bodies on them even through the molt...

Mason, since you're a pellet only feeder can you tell me what the difference between gamebird pellet and layer pellet. Also which ones does the birds benefit from the most...

Sugarcreek
May 16th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein Min 18.0 % Zinc Min 160 ppm
Lysine Min 0.85 % Manganese Min 150 ppm
Methionine Min 0.40 % Copper Min 25 ppm
Crude Fat Min 3.0 % Vitamin A Min 4,500 IU/lb
Crude Fiber Max 7.0 % Vitamin D Min 1,350 IU/lb
Calcium Min 1.0 % Vitamin E Min 18 IU/lb
Calcium Max 1.5 % Riboflavin Min 2 mg/lb
Phosphorus Min 0.8 % d-Pantothenic Acid Min 6 mg/lb
Salt Min 0.25 % Thiamine Min 1 mg/lb
Salt Max 0.75 % Niacin Min 22 mg/lb
Magnesium Min 0.30 % Pyridoxine Min 2 mg/lb
Choline Min 600 mg/lb

Ingredients
Sunflower Meal, Corn, Calcium Carbonate, Wheat Midds, Cane
Molasses, Magnesium Mica, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Soybean
Meal, Fish Meal, Monocalcium Phosphate, Salt, L-Lysine
Hydrochloride, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Lignin
Sulfonate, Sodium Selenite, Dried Kelp Meal Product,
Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Yeast Culture, Dried Enterococcus
Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus
Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation
Extract, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachiatum Fermentation
Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Iron Amino
Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid
Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement,
Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione,
Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine
Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin Supplement,

Tell me how well you can mix your grain to product this balance?

farenheight
May 16th, 2012, 10:05 PM

I think it compares to chocolates when they tastes it :-)

mcleanhatch1
May 17th, 2012, 01:39 AM
does any buddy know how bell farms rockin rooster pellets are? im not sure if its called rockin rooster, but its somthing rooster.

mcleanhatch1
May 17th, 2012, 01:41 AM
i mean anybody.lol. and how there custom conditioning feed is

Mason Farms
May 17th, 2012, 02:11 AM
Mason, since you're a pellet only feeder can you tell me what the difference between gamebird pellet and layer pellet. Also which ones does the birds benefit from the most...

The main difference is the protein level. Then the vitamin level probably differs also. I feed Tucker Mills feed, mainly because they are located in the great state of Alabama! Also because they are extruded pellets, not the the kind that are just pressure cooked to pieces.

Gamebird pellets are going to run you a little more money too. The last time I looked they were 18%, and gamebird breeder was 20%, but don't hold me to that I'm sure it differs from one brand to the next.

I used to manage a feed mill in the late 90's early 00's... that was when we were really doing g things showing birds all over the place. I mixed feed for a good many cockers, everyone's recipe was different with one thing in common. NOBODY WANTED DUST! well that nearly impossible to do when you are mixing hard feed & pellets... (hard feed making dust of the pellets in the mixer) I've tried it all, and pellets are the most consistent way to keep a rooster healthy with a good body year round.

ums94
May 17th, 2012, 05:29 AM
I think you can get those Rockin Rooster pellets at Southern States Corp. I talked to them before because I was looking for a good 5 way scratch grain and they mention that Rockin Rooster brand.

mcleanhatch1
May 17th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Where is the Southern State's Corp located?

ums94
May 17th, 2012, 06:25 AM
southernstates.com

Go there, then on top of page click on Find A Store, type the info needed and it should tell you the closest store from where you are.

Ttate
May 17th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Well this is wat I feed....keeps,my birds in good shape.........16% Rooster Performence Booster

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s504/Ttate1360/051612202025.jpg

jwf2506
May 17th, 2012, 10:06 AM
laying pellets have about three times the amount of calcium that a rooster needs.hens need it to make the egg shell.I believe rockin rooster pellets are better for the roosters than laying pellets.

mcleanhatch1
May 17th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Well, how much is the Rockin' Rooster pellet's?

mcleanhatch1
May 17th, 2012, 10:49 AM
What is the most protein you can feed a rooster?