Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Ranger

Post Thanks / Like

Texas Ranger

Col. Madigin has a line called Texas Ranger. He bred them this way... Garrigan/Irish Fardown cock bred to Eslin strain. The hens look like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry guys. This is suppose to be a reply to a thread about Clarets.

wickedfroggie
    good looking hen, can you post the cock?

scythe_g
    sir
    pls elaborate this "Texas Ranger" of yours. and where did it came from and what strain?

ryan
    (Love is all that matters!!!!!!!!!!)

Post Thanks / Like
    This is how the cock looks like. I got them from the Ms. and La. area.

wickedfroggie
    Abai is that the Texas Ranger? Good looking brood cock

suejselbor_007
    Abay,

Looks like a Kelso to me.

Post Thanks / Like

texas ranger

i expect it to be somewhat like a brownred, because some friends from Iloilo said that my Black japs are similar to the T. rangers. i really never seen one. abai, thanks, now i've seen one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, the man that i got them from called them Clarets. He said that they are what they are when he got them many years ago. I suspect that they are a blend of the Texas Ranger and the Claret because of their very dark color, specially the hens. They also have dark shades in their shanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another picture...

Post Thanks / Like

A little history

I've found this somewhere.
    Attached Files Attached Files

wickedfroggie
    Oh i see, i saw those texas rangers too. I thought it was a brownred but its not. Next time i will get picture of those birds. im sure that claret /ranger you got abai is a tough one. good lookin hen and good looking cock. gud luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive got several Madigan hens that come that color as seen in the fotos. It could be a throw back to the Col. Hunters Brass Back whitehackle that went into the make-up of the Duryea blood that made the Clarets. Plus its been told that the Herrisford Brown Red was bred into the Duryea whitehackle lines also. So if you close breed it may show up. Or its the law of genetics (Avatrim)?? What ever is in them will eventually show up. But those are some pretty hens. Oh the dark hens like that came out of a red madigan cock and wheaten colored hens in my brood pens. I dont breed them jsut for color alone. I breed them for performance also. Its in them and after all these years some of the original blood is starting to appear in our brood pens.

Post Thanks / Like
    texas rangers are black looking the hens are very dark.... i have some black blood i have had for years i wanted to try some new blood so i bought a trio from a guy in ca... they were dark in color
    just like stated in the article above...... i did care to much for them to wild think they had been inbreed to long....

cigar

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply fellas...

Butch, i think that solved the mystery. They might be just clarets bred too close. The man that i got them from has the yellow leg side also.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Texas Ranger

Madigin never said how the the Texas Rangers were bred, but a guy that raised some fowl for him said he raised a cross of an Allen Roundhead over Warhorse hens .... if you want to see a real Texas Ranger look at a picture of "SIMCOE" your pics although nice are not even close to what the Texas Rangers look like, prior to his death Madigin was going to bring back to the forefront the Rangers.

Post Thanks / Like

Texas Ranger Pair
    [
    Last edited by canadian kelso; September 20th, 2007 at 07:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by canadian kelso

Texas Ranger Pair
    [
    boss sam were did u acquire you texas ranger???salamat folwmate..from canada

Dwip

Texas Rangers

I was flipin' through Grit and Steel and one of the pictures caught my eye, and it says it's a texas ranger stag owned by frank stansberry. Does anyone know about this bloodline and fighting style, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Texas Ranger Brood Stag

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackhammerFarm
    Texas Ranger Brood Stag

this looks closer to what i thought texas rangers look.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes According to Gus Frithiof Madagins feeder. Gus was there when Madagin made the Rangers. Gus said Madagin took a Rude Warhorse cock and crossed it over some Benford Allen Roundhead hens. The pure Texas Ranger cocks come blackreds, and the hen crow black. I got my Rangers from a man that bought his from Gus Frithiof in the early 70's and has bred them for the past 30 plus years. But when he recieved them from Gus, Gus had stated that he had added some of his hatch blood in and bred it back out. The family I have does have the hatch blood because they will toss a throwback everynow and then that look like a dark hatch cock. Depending on when people recieved there fowl from Gus depends on wether they got the Rangers with the hatch infusion or the pure stock. Hope this little info helps everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackhammerFarm
    marcusrnQuote:
    Originally Posted by BlackhammerFarm
    Texas Ranger Brood Stag
    http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...rBroodStag.jpg

this looks closer to what i thought texas rangers look.

True, this is the closest look of a Texas Ranger. But a real Texas Ranger comes Black - Brownred with light greenish eyes. Somewhere in this site there was a thread in which someone from US posted his website and he breeds this type of fowl which he said ancestry can be traced back to Col. Madigin.

Post Thanks / Like

The only difference between my Rangers and when Madagin bred them, is mine has had a hatch infusion that Gus put in and bred back out, but I don't know how much hatch he left in them. My friend in Florida has got the Rangers from Gus and he got the pure Rangers with nothing added to them, but Gus gave them a few hatch pullets as well to breed with them.

Post Thanks / Like

the texas rangers i had were like blackhammer's the gentleman that i got mine from had them for a very long time his name was mark out of ca.... hens were solid black.....

cigar

Post Thanks / Like

i seen some texas rangers fought in the gaffs some time ago when i was in new mexico the man that owned them told me they came from frank stansberry they look just like in the pics posted solid black faced real amber eyes and dark brown reds some had white feathers here and there they were not fancy atheletic roosters but would make a rooster miss then score grounders never seen them break just good ol fashioned gaff chikens they were very gentle in nature the ones he had number 1 quality i seen in them is there gamness they continue to try to win when they are hurt some years later my freind ordered marks mugs from the same man the cross was better suited for short knife and gave the rangers more athletics he had told me he felt the marks mugs had some ranger in them as there ground attacks were similiar and also they were game as the rangers just my 2 cents yis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweaterkiller
    i seen some texas rangers fought in the gaffs some time ago when i was in new mexico the man that owned them told me they came from frank stansberry they look just like in the pics posted solid black faced real amber eyes and dark brown reds some had white feathers here and there they were not fancy atheletic roosters but would make a rooster miss then score grounders never seen them break just good ol fashioned gaff chikens they were very gentle in nature the ones he had number 1 quality i seen in them is there gamness they continue to try to win when they are hurt some years later my freind ordered marks mugs from the same man the cross was better suited for short knife and gave the rangers more athletics he had told me he felt the marks mugs had some ranger in them as there ground attacks were similiar and also they were game as the rangers just my 2 cents yis

Yes, i think it was Frank Stansberry's website have been posted in this site. He has those mean looking Texas Rangers... pretty gamefowl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by INCUBUS06
    Madigin never said how the the Texas Rangers were bred, but a guy that raised some fowl for him said he raised a cross of an Allen Roundhead over Warhorse hens .... if you want to see a real Texas Ranger look at a picture of "SIMCOE" your pics although nice are not even close to what the Texas Rangers look like, prior to his death Madigin was going to bring back to the forefront the Rangers.
    In a letter to Pedro Escalon of El Salvador Madigan said the Texas Rangers were of Eslin and Irish Fardown breeding.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Texas Rangers

The Texas Ranger's were originated around 1892 by Colonel Madigan. A Garrigan and Mclafferty Irish Fardown cock over Maddux Brown Red hens (Eslin blood of Redquill fame). That was the original cross and it is believed that Madigan later infused Hopkinson Warhorse and Waddle Irish which he purchased from Red Jackson.
    The Rangers were said to be the fastest dark fowl anyone had seen in the south up until that time.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Texas Rangers

I know who you talk of and have become good friends with the breeder from TN. I have his Rangers and Doms, since I have got them they have changed my whole cocking experience. He is a very good breeder. He got his Rangers direct from Gus Frithiof in the early 70's. I don't know what they was like when Madagin had them, but these are strong fowl for the most part over powers and smothers his opponent. Some of the best crossing fowl at that. His blood is good and he carries about 6 different lines of those Rangers, I have personally found out that his older lines I believe to be his best. I myself have heard many different stories of the way Madagin breed those Rangers. Now my friend has papper that Gus had given him when he got the Rangers, and Gus stated that the Rangers had no brownred blood in them, that the cross was a Rude Warhorse over Benford Allen Roundhead hens, now whether Gus was telling the truth or not I don't know, I would think since he was Madagins feeder he if anybody ought to know how he bred them, because he continued to breed them after Madagin disguarded them. The breeder from TN that you speak of when he was showing in the legal time in the states, he had whipped most everybody that you have heard, Sherril Penny,Jimmy Johnson,Boles,Dan Grey, Bull Run, Mississippi Combine. Those birds done very well in his hands in the toughest places in the States. With many wins at Pheonix Grandcanyon,(Copperstate). He has kept them up well for breeding them 30 years hope this info was of use thanks fis Dan