Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Molting

dipset

molting stage

when the birds are losing their feathers what do you guys do, because i heard you cant train them and they're very sensitive?

boy bulik
    :rbounce:

give them lots of cod liver oil for the feather to grow strong and sturdy.

Boy

elmer s jucutan

molting stage

dipset,

birds in the molting stage are generaly sensitive and edgy hence most cockers and breeders do not train their birds at this stage. The birds are very easily stressed out. Their nutritional requirements increase and supplements are given to them, mostly to help them cope with growing new feathers. They tend to be on the heavy side when they are molting.

I say most cocker and breeders avoid training their birds at this point, but there are some who claim that the real test of a birds gameness is when you fight them when they are molting.
    I for one do not adhere to this belief, but there are those who do. I can't openly say that it is wrong, because i have seen birds with almost no tail feathers, their backs almost bare and most of their wing feathers broken or dropped, win in hacks.

armed with this information, it lies with you now to decide, try conditioning your birds when they are at molt, or leave them be until they have grown new feathers.

your friend in sports

esjleaf

Post Thanks / Like

molting

i agree!
    you can certainly fight them but they wont be at their best condition. from my experience some cocks we had become man fighter when they are molting, i guess their body is in pain or sensitive.

bq

Ad Infinitum
    they shouldn't be touched unless absolutely necessary. don't even think of fighting them for they are not only in pain but they are also slighlty anemic. give vitamins and just a little more protein.

Post Thanks / Like
    you hit it right, ad infinitum, i dont fight my birds when they are molting. give the the right molting feed formula and gget them well rested.

Post Thanks / Like

molting

Allow me to inject a few words about the birds molting and some of the things that happen.
    It is true that the birds are in pain and they also have a high fever with all the new feather coming out with their base full of blood.
    I believe that the birds should not be fought when the new feathers are coming out but before that there is really the only problem is that your birds are handicap because of air leakage where the feathers are missing.
    Pain and stress during molting changes the attitude of the birds with unpreditable outcome. Some won't fight, most get to be man fighters, some lose their agressiveness and there is always the exception that take things as they come.
    One of the most problem of fighting the bird is that when the referee pit holding the new feathers on the back the bird is really in pain.
    Bottom line fight before the new feathers start coming out on the back and the wing and tail feathers are fairly complete.
    Hope this helps!!
    Thanks for the chance to help
    BERT

PandP

Question

What foods do you class as PROTEIN and what vitamens do you use.
    RE molting agree keep them out of too much direct sun and let them rest up for the fighting season.

Post Thanks / Like

vitamin(molting)

PandP

Allow me to put my 2 cents in with what I use for the vitamins for molting birds.
    1st--- Vit-E to me is an absolude necessity for the well development of the feathers, the best way is to feed them some form of Wheatgerm oil.
    2nd--- Iron, half done beef liver bar-b-qued is a good way, this is necessary to make up for the blood being use to develope the new feathers.
    3rd---Cod Liver Oil for vit-A&D for the well being of the bird (Imune sYstem)
    4th---this some might agree, others would say otherwise anyway here goes. there is a herb called "Gotu Kola" which is said by hearbal books that it is good for keeping fever temperature down. This may need more research so if someone finds any differentces please e-mail me.
    5th--- Proteins three ways, easy to get now is #1 egg white #2 milk #3 soy beans products: to me these are the easy way to get Protein.
    6th---probably the most important one of all is some form of Multiple Vitamins w/Minerals and amino acids.
    Hope this is of some help to you and to the rest of the sports members. If I omit something it's because Im just pulling these from the top of my head.
    Good Luck! Hafa Adai!
    Bert

lemonhatch
    JUST LET THEM BE!
    the birds are easily stressed and tend to be aggressive.
    lots of protein,vit E,cod liver oil will help for healthy
    formation of new feathers.if needed
    spar them once is enough just to keep their gameness,
    (short sparring sessions only)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    always play fair!,for our sport is a gentleman's game

Lorenzo V. B.
    Management of Chicken in Moulting,

'Moulting' is a physiological processes in birds and other animals including chicken after reaching sexual maturity . It normally occurs during long daytime hours and so its seasonal. In the PI it happens before ,during or after summer (starting from April to August). There are also chicken that moults during december or january and we call it 'OFF Season Moulting'. There are factors that induce or influence 'Moulting'. Other creatures also change their cover like reptiles, prawns, and we call it 'ecdysis'.

When moulting occurs, the 'chicken' undergoes physiological changes in the body and therefore under stress. Reptiles will skip food for weeks. Birds in general, however, does not manifest as severe as compared to other animal species. Nevertheless,they are sensitive to environmental influences including disease. Therefore, it needs more nutrients than ordinarily required. The body experiences pain, mood changes, metabolism increases, and sensitive to environmental factors.

How would you handle situation like this?

Some of our Fellow Cockmates Afficionados shared their ideas and experiences and we appreciate that. However, let me add mine too to make the management of moulting chicken more bearable;
    1. Nutrition...If your chciken is receiving only oats or barley on the belief during conditioning that it's good for stamina then,you need to incorporate a more balance ration (I will not advice you what food preparation or ration to give.)
    2. Supplement (Vitamins/Tonic)...Continue with your supplementation. This will help the body recover quickly;
    3. Exercise...since birds in moult has new young feathers growing, body contact is painful to them. Avoid as much as possible any direct 'punch' to the body. Young feathers bleed profusely when injured. You can device an exercise that minimises pain. or 'Kahig' will help.
    4. Vegetables e.g green leafy veg and carots...These are good for the Chicken...It contains lots of nutrients. but don't give 'Pakbit'.
    5. Water... Always maintain a fresh drinking water on their side in a clean watering trough.

Adios

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Molting/Feather

Gud to all cocker/breeder...can someone share their experience using Feather Aide Feed Additives from AveScience, before i use Codlivene E result is ok but compare with Feather Aide the composition i think is different.

romulo manuel

forced molting

hey guys, is there such as thing as forced/induced molting. if there is so, how is it done? rom

sampaloc manila/ infanta quezon/ cerritos & buena park, california usa
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi content crude protein of more than 28% will induce molting,
    prolong use though is bad for the chickens. will create vits and
    nutrient embalance and cause you more trouble

Post Thanks / Like
    this is how i induced molting...give nothing but water for two days
    a gram or two of rice a day for ten days...and they should be done...then start building them up for breeding or whatever...

greyhatch15

Molting

I read the post on making roosters begin to molt but I want to know if there is any way to hurry the rooster through the molting process? Thanks for any help. Greyhatch15

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hi Guys!
    Yes there's such thing as force molting, give your cock with just one small shrimp, then after a day or two you'll notice the feather easily fall very simple isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like
    shrimp!? is that proven my friend. salt of fresh water shrimp?
    how long or small the shrimp must be 30 mm or something?

worth experimenting maybe!

Post Thanks / Like
    quite funny my friend while high crude protein content in feeds
    may induce molting while they are not in molt yet and yet giving
    high crude protein content in feeds while they are molting will
    hasten their molting period

the timing of giving high crude protein in feeds do a major role

Post Thanks / Like
    the feathers fall from allergic reaction from the shrimp...they molt
    quick but you ruined them.,,

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi JS
    Actually its not my experience, last July i saw my friend giving his cock a small piece of shrimp and i ask him why, and he said he wanted his cock to molt very fast, then after a week i came back to his house,its really funny when i saw his cock, its like a dressed chicken in the market:lol: I think any small piece of shrimp will do, either fresh or salt water.

MOSELINA

use scissors

try to trim their feathers, i tried trimming the hackle of my chicken
    and after weeks he molted in the neck.

Post Thanks / Like
    We do it to ducks but I guess it will work with chicken also. To incuce molting, give them emaciation diet (reduce their feed intake) so that they will utilize the fat stored in their feathers and cause them to fall.

romulo manuel

Re: forced molting

i read somewhere that since feathers are composed of proteins, depriving them chickens with it results to shedding of feathers, but i do not have actaul experience on this. wouldn't it be great if we force-molt say on May, then we will have a fresh chicken by October when most of them are in the molt. we have a clear advantage against a molting cock or a stag.
    Rom

Post Thanks / Like
    i dont know how but including fish guts or cocconut meat , 2 basic food source of nutrient should help gain that shinny feather.

:hombre:
    :zippo:

Post Thanks / Like
    cod liver oil . .

Post Thanks / Like
    BASIC

:hombre:
    :zippo:

Post Thanks / Like

there is !!

sir,
    there's such a thing as forced molting...keep it out of the light , in darkness for two weeks, give water and feed which is very low protein content but majority water.after two weeks you'll see feathers being molted..we do this in our farm jus bear in mind that you must keep him in total darkness for two weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why force?

Patience is virtue!

Kidd

fhrox05
    :blush: