Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Molting

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Supplements during the molt...

If you are not already feeding them soaked oats, it helps them keep moisture in and make the feathers come in nicely. also apple cidar vinegar

Post Thanks / Like

Red cell.......ACV........Wheat Germ Oil........also the the Skin Nails and Hair vitamins from wal mart
    Last edited by Ttate; May 24th, 2012 at 02:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

These are the area of Interest, Digestive, Respiratory Systems, Vitamins, Internal and External Parasites. Have a prevention and treatment program and prepare for the change, whether be breeding, show, moult season, winter, spring, summer, autumn etc. The fact is the systems and area of attention I have identified above should not be neglected. A prevention and treatment mechanics or program must be in place.

Water Soluble Vitamins and Antiboitics:

Vitamins/Minerals/Electrolytes: Specifically designed for the need of poultry of any age. Use two times a week to bring your birds through the moult. 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water.
    Dawe-Ade: Vitamins A, D, & E
    Vitamins and Electrolytes. For birds of all ages. 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water.

Tylan Soluble: For treatment of chronic respiratory disease (CRD). Two teaspoon per gallon of water for 10 days or for individual treatment.
    CTC Powder (Chlortetracycline): Two teaspoon per gallon of water for 10-14 days for treatment of CRD, Bluecomb, Sinusitus, and other respiratory diseases.
    Tetracycline Hydrochloride Powder: A broad sprectrum antibiotic powder for respiratory and intestinal infections. 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for 7 days.

Internal and External Parasites: You have to de-worm and rid of mites and lices, and other scaly leg, and VetRx should always be there. You'll be surprise of the multi-uses of these medications when administered properly. And the list goes on. So you're not treating for diseases or illnesses, but you have a prevention program.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Kakahna671; May 27th, 2012 at 04:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use a good vit and electrolite in the water.. I also dont like red cell since it has been known to cause trouble in the livers.. howver, i do like liver powder from a threaded strain of belgium beef, and also garlic powder or either of the too in concentrate or from a derivitive!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Will go and see what kind of medication I can get.

Post Thanks / Like

i have a son works in a large produce dept my fowl have eat so many tomatoes and chunks of watermelon they have started packing their own salt shaker

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ttate View Post
    Red cell.......ACV........Wheat Germ Oil........also the the Skin Nails and Hair vitamins from wal mart
    The good thing about the hair, skin and nails Vit. is that it has a high dosage Biotin. Biotin helps with cell growth, the production of fatty acids, and the metabolism of fats and amino acids.
    Raw egg yolk works really well also because it contains high levels of biotin. Tornel's Super B-12 5500 contains a small % of biotin but helps with moulting also.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to up the soaked oaks, a little acv, and a touch of red cell here and there, I have always used ivermectin right before they moult 1x then 10 days after and adams flea spray that is supposed to last a while. try and keep my hands off them. and keep them cool as possible although down here it get pretty nasty during summer time.

Post Thanks / Like

Dog Food. Get the expensive ones like Orijen or Acana. And make sure it does not have chicken or any poultry products. Go for lamb/rice or fish based. Also, the oil. Most use chicken fat for oil, the expensive ones use Sunflower or Salmon oil. And there's a lot of dog food being marketed as 0% grain since dogs do not eat grains, but our chickens do, so buy the ones with grains.

So to summarize:

The dog food ingredients should have:

Hooved based animal protein or fish protein. No feathered friends.
    Vegetable or fish based fat/oil. Not chicken fat/oil.
    Should contain grains.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

tips on moult

any tips to keep birds top shape through the moult. vitamins? anything to make new feathes shiny and strong?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: tips on moult

set it and forget it. never touch chickens during that period

Post Thanks / Like

you need protein to get them feathers growing back belive it or not but a hand full of dog food twice a week will really help a lot you must do this for a good couple of months along with there regular yard feed dogfood has protein/vit/and minerals/and oils this will beef um up as well dont play a round get a 50lb bag at wall mart less than 20 bucks

Post Thanks / Like

i prefer to use catfish pellets.. 36% cut them down a little bit though i think even that is too rich, i like it about 28 to 30% in moult four days a week.

Post Thanks / Like

what kind of dog you mean like kibbles or raw meat for dogs

Post Thanks / Like

Mix a lil redcell in there feed....wheat germ oil is good.....also dog food and catfish feed like the fellas said......but the best tip I can give u is LEAVE THEM ALONE and let them do their thing

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: tips on moult

Quote Originally Posted by Dominguez View Post
    what kind of dog you mean like kibbles or raw meat for dogs
    old roy brand from wallmart about 22percent proiten a hand full twice a week for agood 2 months starting around sept all the way into the first of nov. go ahead and buy a 50lb. bag and the key is to stay with it because the results will start to show up weeks away when they start to pull out of the molt around the end of nov? when they get the wet look after that onley a hand full once a month to hold um to hell with a pellet to damm dry dog food is loaded with oils/ vit/minerals/ and such you will be killing 3 or 4 birds with one stone with the dog food and it dont take much just give it ample time to work

Post Thanks / Like

hey buddy take a look at some of the big time breeders in the magazenes and on the internet really look at there birds notice the long tails fullfeathered that wet oiley look buddy theres onley one thing that gets a bird looking like that and its protein and your basic yard grains aint got enuff to grow feathers like that stop and think about it most of the big timers just out feed the common feller protein buddy protein?? you got to build um up in the molt

Post Thanks / Like

Best feed for molting season.

Can anybody share the feed u use during molting season?,I wonder what kind of feed is good for our fowl so they grow healthy and brilliant plumage,please share your secrets,I'm a beginner in breeding and raising fowl so any help will be very appreciated, thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Molting???

hey guys i was just wondering how bad a rooster was supposed to look during the molt. i have two and one of them just looks plain horrible like only a few wing feathers and the breast feathers are few and far between. while the other rooster doesnt look all that bad to me. i was just wondering if you guys had the same problems during the molt and if this was normal i really dont know. thanks in advance for the input.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Molting???

Some birds will moult gradually, just a few feathers at a time and never really look that bad except for the missing tail. Some will hold their feathers late and moult all at once. These are the ones that usually need a little more TLC as this quick moult really puts stress on them. A lot of it depends on the individual family, a lot depends on the individual bird, and a lot depends on the health heading into the moult.

Post Thanks / Like

Some molt hard & fast. Some slow & steady. I have a few look like they about to die for a couple weeks these are hard molters. Meaning they drop all feathers quickly and grow them in all same time. All feathers have blood shaft. Thats blood from bird being used to grow feathers so it draws blood from bird makes them pale/white headed looking sick. Really they are sick running a fever at this time. If they eating good and drinking water they should come around. Plenty fresh water, shade, grass & good feed and let nature take it's course.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the input guys, also would you huys know if there is any kind of meds i can give them like vitamins or something to kind of help through the process because the one looks like he has dried blood on what he has left of his wing feathers. i have him penned up with a hen right now do i need to seperate them? or would that make any difference?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07jaray View Post
    thanks for the input guys, also would you huys know if there is any kind of meds i can give them like vitamins or something to kind of help through the process because the one looks like he has dried blood on what he has left of his wing feathers. i have him penned up with a hen right now do i need to seperate them? or would that make any difference?
    I would get the hen out and give him vitamins and electrolytes twice a week, that should help him recuperate faster.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen hens slap pull the blood feathers off a cock

Post Thanks / Like

Add extra protein to the feed like dog feed or fish feed I add about 5 lb of 22% to a 5 gallon bucket each day through the moult they need about 18 or 20% during the moult also add a,d,e and electrolites powder to water a couple times a wk and red cell a couple times a wk. Red cell has alot of vitamins and minerals and is a good blood builder. I put about 3oz in a 20oz coke bottle fill the rest with water take 5 gallon bucket split between 2 buckets and pour half in one and half in the other and mix it up good.

Post Thanks / Like
    5 gallons of feed a day how many birds you feeding David ?

cockfighter_199

Yeah and those new feathers come out easy.You sure don't want to handle them little to possible if you can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rafter R Farm View Post
    5 gallons of feed a day how many birds you feeding David ?
    I feed 22-25 gallons a day myself, #500 a week. Feed bill starting to HURT!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang bama I know I couldn't afford you're feed bill I'd have to cut back also my wife would flip if I spent 500 a month on chicken feed I feed around 300 lbs $100 a month on 45 birds on my place

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BamaOkie View Post
    I feed 22-25 gallons a day myself, #500 a week. Feed bill starting to HURT!
    Hell i bet that hurts i dont know how many gallons i feed i just count pounds