Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerezano Trivia

El Espaņol

Jerezano Trivia

Jerezano fighting cocks originally from around the town of Jerez de la Frontera, Spain are known as "GALLOS INGLESES" there in Spain. This means ENGLISH COCKS.

So, this simply justifies the theory and well held belief that the Jerezanos had a very good shot of Old English Gamecock added to them a few centuries ago.

Just for your information.......and also if any of you are ever speaking to a Spanish speaker and you are asking about Jerezanos, they may not understand what you are asking about!

Good Day!

Post Thanks / Like
    El Espanyol,

Is it true that Jerezanos come in Red Yellow Legs, and White Pearl-legged?

WHile the spanish Matador is always Red White Legs with black Spur?

That the black mallorcas do throw some dirty greys ( hiraw ) one linebred closely?

Swallow

El Espaņol
    I think that I have only ever seen a few pearl white legged Jerezanos in the past 30+ years......they happen, but I believe they are throwbacks. They can come in any range of plummage colors including white but the most common traits are the bright yellow (almost neon) legs and bright red heads and straight combs. Cherry red.

I am sorry, but I am really not familiar with the cocks named Matador, sorry.

Raised some Mallorcans in the past and personally I have never had a dirty grey come out of any...but that was in Spain, so maybe when exported somebody added a little grey to them?

In Spain we are familiar with breeds of fighting cocks that are very specific to regions.......that being said, even the Spanish from different regions call the same breed by a dozen different names.

Okay......there are more, but for basics, the major breeds of fighting cocks in Spain are:
    Jerezanos (Gallos Ingleses)
    Sevillanos (ALSO Gallos Ingleses)
    Canarios
    Mallorcinos
    Menorcinos

There are others........maybe it is time to do a "white paper" about the different breeds if I can ever find the time.

Regards,

sampaloc manila/ infanta quezon/ cerritos & buena park, california usa
    Post Thanks / Like
    el espaņol amigo

nice thread. here's pic of canario

canario pair

another canario

also a link to website of spanish fowls

Post Thanks / Like

johndinosicat

guys......

i stay here in the northern part of italy...in the last 6 years, i've been attending the annual exhibition shows ( breeding & raising birds) here...the biggest in europe..i used to go to the game fowl section around 50 types of chickens (if i'm not mistaken).
    black sumatra,cubalaya from cuba,jerezano,aseel,jap shamo,bantam,pheonix... and many more...these are all exhibition birds...for luck of gameness. no one can still beat our present fighting birds.

www.budgerigar-world.com/JohnSicat

paquito56
    johndinosicat, pls can you tell me to which birds that are so game here are you refering to? Gracias

Post Thanks / Like
    johndinosicat

i do aggree with you that the fowls you seen at exhibit might
    luck the gameness cause they are breed for beauty and not
    for gameneess.

but i'm quite sure that the counterpart of those breeds on other
    parts of the world are steel game like the type of aseels we're
    using in the philippines to mention one.

CYMRU
    El Espanol,

Thanks for sharing some infos about spanish gamefowls. I'm just wondering where in Spain I can still watch and enjoy cockfighting? Is cockfighting still legal over there?

I've been to Madrid once and got a chance to watch bullfight.. The arena was huge and there were loads of spectators...

Muchias Gracias...

johndinosicat

hello....

"GAMENESS" for me is endurance,ability & agility...just like those possessed by our modern fighting cocks...ie,roundhead,hatch,kelso,sweater and many more.....i think aseel is only used to infuse other bloodlines, like the roundhead has a very very little aseel blood.

paquito56
    johndinosicat, you are refering to the American Fowl, to me there isnt a game to the core fowl as the Jerezano and the Cubans,just to mention these two, if you would have the opportunity to see them fighting standing, without eyes, even vital organs hurt, they will still peck and try to billhold to shoot to kill with their last breath of life. No way, American Fowls can be that game. As what i have seen, even in videos of the WSD and local Coliseums, of course there are exeptions, but no way their gameness is as good as these two breeds that i mentioned, where you see hatches, roundheads, kelsos and the other names, even with their eyesight untouched, the stay still standing and wont peck. I can tell you coz thanks God i have had the opportunity to see the 2 different breeds fighting. In Latin America they have developed bloodlines crosses that are as good or much better for the knife than the USA Fowls, but them are used for the short knife. Is like the Cubans and Jerezanos, you cant match them against the USA Fowls coz of the size difference, if not if would be a delight to see them fighting. IMHO you cant really test for sure the gameness of fowls in the LK coz most of the time the fights end up so fast. I agree with you in many ways and im not trying to put down your comments that are so good and from which im learning too, no one is a true Master of this sport. But is just my views from experiences in watching the different bloodlines in real combat..Gracias Amigo..

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with paquito.
    I had fought a jerezano/grey cross in LK.
    the gamest bird I know.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to own a Jerezano cock, which i got from a Spaniard long time ago... but lost him even before i could get 3/4 blood... all the offsprings i fyt won w/ minimal or no scratch at all but due to poor caring, I lost them. I am left with only one jerezano hen now.

johndinosicat

hi....

based on my experience...back in 1998 i crossed white jareseno (not a pure white)to red cubalaya hen and i got a lot of stag(12 stags) i'm not impressed about thier gameness....yes you'll right they are a little bit smaller compare to our modern cocks(american birds).

my comments is regarding on my personnal experienced.

paquito56
    Johndinosicat,
    I wonder from where you got that Jerezano, coz there are lots of people claiming that they have them, and it isnt exactly the case. A pure Jerezano is game to the core and until the last breath of life.. If your Jerezano wasnt a true Jerezano in his bloodline, then of course you wont be impressed with his gameness. For example, lots of people claim to have Sweaters, but not all Sweaters are the real thing..Im not trying to have an argument with you, we are learning with each other, but i can " assure you" that a true Jerezano is game 100%..Hope next time you would have the chance to have a good Jerezano and i know that you will be amazed with his gameness.. The other friends here had good impressions with them as myself..Gracias Amigo

johndinosicat

paquito....

due to an incident 2 or 3 years ago that happened in the city of rome, when the italian authorities raided a farm and confiscated all the birds and filed a case against the owner.it was published a day after in the national news papers.i'm quite sure that some of our cyber friends here like CASTI,SALAGUBANG ANA,BUONGIORNO & JW GAMEFARM know more about this.it was disgusting for the filipinos who live and work peacefully in the country.

by the way....
    i can assure and guarantee you that i own and bred some pure jerezano and cubalaya 5 years ago.i have that bred during my first attendance in a big exhibition here..they are in a group of bankiva and classified as a "combattente" (fighting birds).they were offered by pairs and i spent a good sum of money to have them. unfortunately the pullet died and the stag crossed to the cubalaya hen.
    if i can find i'll post those pix here, but i'm a little bit worried..they(ital. police) might be visiting this page and i dont know what will happen next....
    some friends visit me every sunday to sparr my birds and since we all came from the sabong capital of the world...we always seek the strong "palo" like the big bone & muscle hatches,the cutting ability & multi shuffles of kelso & sweater,the "until to the last breath" endurance of roundhead and the elegant moves,clever and deffensive fighting skills of the asil grade....this is only to name a few....well thanks anyway to all the breeders of these bloodlines, they perfectly bred these birds to the especial kind of sport like sabong!! my humble opinoin...sir.

paquito56
    johndinosicat, well explained i take your word for good. So bad that there the law is so tough against our sport. Maybe someday you may vist the Philippines or Puerto Rico and watch good chicken fighting..Gracias Amigo

CYMRU
    Senor Paquito, sir

How do you say " Do you know any cockpit around here? or Do you know where I can watch cockfights here?"in Spanish, por favor? Sorry to be a nuisance sir.. Thanks for your help in advance...Gracias..

paquito56
    CYMRU
    The 1st one goes like this; "Sabe de alguna Gallera en la localidad?

2nd one; "Sabe donde puedo ver peleas de Gallos?"

I hope that the administrator wong get upset with the Spanish..he can speak some too..Gracias Amigo..

El Espaņol
    oh yeah........

There is no longer a pit in Jerez de la Frontera. There are pits in Rota, Sanlucar and EL Puerto de Santa Maria. All located in Cadiz. I am from El Puerto.......but I can tell you that the best Jerezanos come from Rota and especially Sanlucar.

Each locality either allows or disallows cockfighting.

Good Luck,

CYMRU
    El Senoris, thanks for the prompt replies to my enquiries. Any chance you might know any cockpits around Barcelona and Ibiza areas? I'd love to see pure spanish fowls( no infusions of american sounding names) in real action in their own turf..Thanks.

El Espaņol
    Let me ask my cousin in Alicante. I am almost totally sure that they still show fowl in the Baleric Islands but since the great immigration of Germans since the formation of the EU, I am not sure anymore.

The Canary Islands still have a fantastic and dedicated gamefowl population.

I will try to get back to you soon.........if not, shoot me an email.

Regards,

CYMRU
    Colourful Entrance for the matadors....this was taken in Madrid
    [IMG][/IMG]

OLE!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

Oye, El...

This is what I know.

The "islas" Philippines, Malaysia, Borneo, etc... had and fought native fowl. Southeast Asia.

At the same time, the Indians and other east Asian countries were doing the same thing.

When the Spanish discovered us via Magelan, they were in awe about this "thing" we indios were doing.

Naturally, they would bring it back to the motherland as a discovery.

So there you have fighting cocks in Spain.

The British, occupy India, and they see the same thing, cockfighting.

They do the same and bring it back to the motherland.

Being anal, like the British, they started the genetic engineering that we do today.

Hence you have the "Inglatera" and the Whitehackle and others I cannot name cause I don't know

Then, they invade the US and obviously brought fighting cocks with them on their boats. And the Americans got into it.

And the rest is what what we have now.

This is an over simplification, but if I'm mistaken, please tell me cause this is what I tell everybody that's willing to listen

Cheers!

johndinosicat

Thumbs up sentenciador....

double thumbs' up!!!

in relation to supporting your articles, accidentally i've read in a book about the first britist troops that landed in ohio with some old large english game fowls together with some large dogs.

El Espaņol
    whaaaaaaaaaaaz up man?

The way I understand it, the Spanish were amazed when they sailed to the PI because Filipinos were cockfighting and Europeans had never been there before.........this means that cockfighting in Las Islas Filipinas had developed and flourished with no external influence.

We are taught that cockfighting originated in Persia when it was the cradle of civilizations along with Mesopitamia (Or however you spell Iraq a few thousand years ago).

I mean, it is well documented that they fought roosters during the times of Christ, during the Roman empire which also enveloped both Spain and the UK. This would have been around 1500 hundred years before old Lapu-Lapu greased old Magellan.

So cockfighting is truely a Filipino sport because although the Europeans were already cockfighting when the Philippines was "discovered", the Filipinos were already doing the same!

Interesting to say the least.

Warm Regards,

Post Thanks / Like

Talking I'm good!

I'm good, man! Thanks for asking.

Yeah, you're right. Like I said east Asia. India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Persia. They were all doing it when the British invaded.

If I'm not mistaken, there were inhabitants in Southeast Asia long before the time of Christ. It would be safe to assume that they were cockfighting already. Same as in east Asia.

The Spanish took back SEA fowl back to Spain. The British took back east Asian fowl back to England.

Then you two started crossing each other up. And came up with fowl we fight today.

Right? Yes, very interesting indeed!

Thanks!

Cheers!

Hasta luego!

Post Thanks / Like
    i enjoy and learn something from that history thanks!

hope i can take hold one good jerezano for infusion

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jerezano Trivia

Nice old old thread with little history lesson.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jerezano Trivia

So this is where Eddie got his info on Spanish Plumage Colors.. LOL.. Wow..
    Quote Originally Posted by El Espaņol View Post
    I think that I have only ever seen a few pearl white legged Jerezanos in the past 30+ years......they happen, but I believe they are throwbacks. They can come in any range of plummage colors including white but the most common traits are the bright yellow (almost neon) legs and bright red heads and straight combs. Cherry red.

I am sorry, but I am really not familiar with the cocks named Matador, sorry.

Raised some Mallorcans in the past and personally I have never had a dirty grey come out of any...but that was in Spain, so maybe when exported somebody added a little grey to them?

In Spain we are familiar with breeds of fighting cocks that are very specific to regions.......that being said, even the Spanish from different regions call the same breed by a dozen different names.

Okay......there are more, but for basics, the major breeds of fighting cocks in Spain are:
    Jerezanos (Gallos Ingleses)
    Sevillanos (ALSO Gallos Ingleses)
    Canarios
    Mallorcinos
    Menorcinos

There are others........maybe it is time to do a "white paper" about the different breeds if I can ever find the time.

Regards,