Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Bobby Boles' Fowls 101

ellisgamefowl
    I have a question about Mr. Boles .

Where did he fight his birds ? Honestly , I've never heard much about him untill I got a computer except a few articles i've read in the magizines .

I've always thought that Harold Brown , Duke Hulsey , and Billy Ruble were the top dogs of that time .

Did Mr. Boles fight his birds in any of the southern pits or was he the top dog of the west coast ?

Forgive me for my ignorance , just trying to learn more about the man that has our attention at the moment .

CYMRU
    This thread is great! Keep it coming guys.

Just wondering also... no offense intended for the B. Boles fanclub... but during the prime of B. Boles, many Negros haciendero were also in the height of importing American fowls... And leave it to the Hilongos, they are not going to leave any stone unturned...now why didn't they (Hilongo hacienderos) try to get fowls from B. Boles if from what I've read lately in the internet that B. Boles was almost if not invincible during his prime. . .

Like I said this is just out of curiousity... no harm intended for the BB Club. :hippie:

buhawi
    maybe rivero,silverio or lacson already wanted then to buy boles fowl.....but unfortunately..........NONE FOR SALE........at that time when bobby was still alive.they instead bought fowl from duke hulsey,curtis blackwell,billy ruble....etc.etc..

if you read some stories about boles fowl,the very first one he gave to a friend was a battlecross fowl.he gave that day and the next day the said boles battlecross fowl was already in a breeding pen somewhere in kansas.the offsprings of said breeding did kick some ass bobby learned a lesson from that and never gave fowl to anyone anymore.

More Stories from Just Jack

In 1994 when I visited Bob & Susan and picked up another pair of aseels and a Fardown line cock and hen, Robbie white visited us in Bob's living room. I had arranged for a Dr. in Denver to try a new treatment on Robbie's Parkinson's disease. Robbie and Bobbie discussed some Filipino to whom Bob gave some cocks and no hens. I think his name was Mitra. After I got home with the fowl, I got a call from a brother or relative to Pres. Aquino. They offered to fly to DIA in a private jet and buy a dozen eggs from me for $1000 if I wouldn't sell them any fowl. I declined, thank goodness, because Robbie and Bobbie heard about it. Robbie thought Bobbie was testing me, also. That's what happenned to Bob's and Les's relationship. Les sold some Filipino some asils that had the Boles aseel broodcock blood in it for some amount like $23K they told me. Bob never talked to Les again and was mad at me for having any dealings with him. I always got along with Les Quite well. We belong to the same church and religion. I still owe Les a trio of the Red Richardson Butchers I had in the 70's but they turned cold and I didn't send them. They were 20 minute wonders..they fought like hell for exactly 20 minutes-then squalled and ran . I probably bred them too close for too long and they couldn't take it. My original pair threw really good cocks...maybe they cut so good I didn't think they could be cold. Bobbie warned me about those "English " Derbys. He said they wouldn't purge out like his Irish lines. 20 minutes was a long way from 3 days! Bob had a similar prior experience with them graded on oriental, he said..Maybe ok for knife if you use the asil hen..but not our kind of fowl. Say hello to Mr. Saia for me. justjack

HIYAAAAAAA....

THIS WILL BE A BOOK.

NICE STORY.

IT'S LIKE, " NOW IT CAN BE TOLD"

23KDOLLARS? THATS A LOT OF MONEY. SOMETIME LONG AGO.AND EVEN NOW THAT IS STILL A LOT OF MONEY.

SO ASIL IS NOT FOR SALE? IT'S FOR THE RIGHT PRICE AND TO THINK, THEY GOT GOOD RELIGION. HAH!

NICE UPPER CUT FERDI. IS IT REALLY TRUE?

some told me that bobby boles don't want to fight his fowls in long knife.

the quest for the boles asils goes on.....for all we know some of them escape when the old man ordered the massacre..they are clever right?i mean the chickens.joking aside Ferdi where can we find these legendary fighters,..i sure like to have that invincible boles asil blood.

Boles Blood

There are a few out there & they don't cost 23K either,:lol:

im a big fan of asils not boles in particular all good asils.cause they are the only ones we fought in saudi in the 80's until american breeds started coming in from abroad in the form of eggs.i personally fought one of my pure asils to a doctor from riyadh who is one of the first to have american birds over there.the way my asil won is a bit of a blur cause the way i remembered it, upon release they met up in the air the other bird slightly above my asil on contact i can see the american doing his shuffles with my oriental exchanging blows reaching out from under,one heartbeat later the doctor's bird lay dying.could not understand why my friends not happy with the win,..then i realized they bet against me.

Good oriental type gamefowl can win in long knife competition. I have witnessed a tall oriental gamecock win without a scratch in a 6 cock battle royal in the long knife. He was fought a week later and won unscathed again.
    As far as so-called friends betting against us, best to distance ourselves from them -- they are not true friends.

sampaloc manila/ infanta quezon/ cerritos & buena park, california usa
    i won't consider my self fan of asil but i do fascinated in
    breeding and testing them in the pit.

i do own a pure rampuri asil which was purchased from
    a small farm in louisiana usa. the source farm have this
    breed for more than 2 decades. what i understand he
    don't fought this breed on naked heels.

there's just too many strain of asils suited for different
    types of competition.

i have graded my rampuri asil to various western breeds
    like doc robinson hatch, kelsos, lacy roundhead and some
    local breed like the lemon84 and quite satisfied with them
    and giving me some winnings

if you want a good looking fowls then asil grade warriors
    are simply not the fowls for you

see my rampuri graded warriors http://www.info.com.ph/~otap/asi1.html

juan sabungero
    it is a good looking rampuri,i like it.all the best to your breeding.

Boles' Fighting Background

Good question ellisgamefowl, I wasn't trying to ignore you. It just takes a while for justjack to get on with his story.

The reason some people never read about the Bole's Bros. is that their attorney, Jim Vizzard, filed an injunction against any of the gamefowl publications to print their names or locations; or, fight reports as long as either of them was alive. They filed that in the 1950's when California went under felony gamefowl legislation. Since that time-thanks largely to the efforts of Boles and Melville- that felony restriction against gamefowl in Calif. has been somewhat reduced: but, the Boles never retracted their use of name restriction. They never sold fowl or wanted to let their good bloodlines out as long as they professionally competed with them. And, Clarence made Bob promise to never let hiw fowl ( the old family orientals) ever to be fought in the knife, just before he died. I sat in Bob's living room or at the kitchen table many times with Bob and Clarence discussing chicken things-mostly bloodlines which they considered the most important aspect in cocking. You are right, they fought mostly in the West except for their foray to Boxwood in Ark. where the derby was rematched into all the tough ones to try to beat them and" Louey C." crushed one of their cocks to take them out of first place; then 22 of their cocks were stolen when they went to the hospital with Dr. and Mrs. Watkins after the car wreck there.( those were the Boxwood cocks I mentioned that were sons and grandsons of the Jap. gardener stag). After that horrible experience, they pretty much stayed away from the big derbies and tournaments. Only Jesse "Lopez" Juarte's grandfather made out well at Boxwood, Bobby said. He went there from Calif.; sat in the top row of seats with a suitcase full of money on his lap and called all the odds in the house the first day on "those ugly Bole's orientals"- the next day he laid the odds. Both days the people lined up to bet against Boles. Mr. Juarte broke the house Bobby said-but all he did for us was take us to dinner-he said laughingly. This was before the Bole's non-print legal injunction and was probably only one of two fight reports regarding Boles or "the Black Bart" entry. "Old Fudd" reported that those California orientals weren't cocks but "animals." He said they handled those Duke, and Harold Southern power cocks by cutting. He said," they stood on one leg and cut them until it was tired-then switched to the other leg". The argument against the "Boles greatness" was that they did not compete against the big-name cockers in the big tournaments and derbies.However-the Boles kept an open invitation to any of them for a main for a substantial amount $-over the years; and fought approximatly 55 of them. They never lost a cock main! They lost one stag main against some toppy grey stags that were related to their birds, Bobby said. It was fought more for a test than money, Bob said. Even in the 50's, their fight proceeds were over $50k, their accountant reported. They did like to fight derbies at pits that inforced Burkey gaff gage and poison test rules. They liked 3 or 4 pits that had an average of 36 entries with reasonable entry fees that made Approx.10K pots by today's standards. At their peak, they travelled North to fight one on Saturdays, returned home, and travelled South to fight one on Sundays. They usually won both of them. After the season in 1990, Bobby called me on the phone to say "they" say I'm slipping. I've entered 20 derbies this year with an average of 36 entries. What is my fair share? I said ," you should win one derby about every 2 years. He said, "That's right, but I won 11 of them outright and was in the money split for 1st or 2nd in 5 others". "Do you call that slipping"? I said," frankley, yes-you used to win all of them." Bobby was 80 years old and still doing all of the work of breeding, feeding;and, fighting at that time.-justjack

sampaloc manila/ infanta quezon/ cerritos & buena park, california usa
    seems nice story to read unless challenge and proved otherwise !
    it also seems lot of boles asils got stolen. i wonder where they are?
    already bred by thousands

ellisgamefowl
    Thanks Ferdi for answering my question .

Thats kinda what I figured , he fought mostly in small local derbys . I've read where Mr. Boles won nearly 100 fights in a row before , thats amazing in any pit . But I dare say it would be impossible to do at Sunset . It ain't gonna happen . Never has and never will . The competition is too tough .

From what i've learned here about Mr. Boles . It's evident that he was one hell of a rooster man . One to be remembered for sure , although it seems like he had alot of problems with the people around him . Maybe thats why he felt like he had to camoflage his "good roosters", there was too many scum bags around him trying to take what he worked his whole life to make . That's just aweful to think about . Greed really brings out the worst in people .

Mr. Boles "west coast" dominance reminds me alot of what Carol NeSmith has done here in the southern pits . But he also took his birds world wide and beat the best competition in the world . It's unfortunate that he has been taken away from the sport for awhile but he'll soon be back . And i'll be the first to lay 80 on him when he does return .

Over the years there have been a number of men who took their roosters to another level . Thats what we all dream about but only a handful succeed . I for one don't think it was the roosters but the man behind them that made them successful .

Anyway , I've really enjoyed learning more about Mr. Boles . It makes me wonder what future generations will say about Mr. NeSmith . I think he'll be up there with kelso and hatch and so forth . Maybe bigger , he's not done yet !

Only thing wrong with the post by ferdi is that Boxwood is in Virginia!! Bobby Boles campaigned at the Hot Springs Pit run by Piper in Little Rock, Ark.. Ive read these post on here about Bobby Boles and he was a great breeder of Oriental grades of that there is no doubt. But many years before him there were two guys named Anthony Greene and Norman Mathews who cut a wide path thru cocking with the grades. The reason many hear of Bobby and Clarence Boles is that they fought mainly grades in a time when many considered oriental fowl Dunghills. Many thought that Asils werent game enuff for gaff fighting. For years you couldnt get a cocker to breed any asils into their fowl. But when thier father fought some and came away with many scratching thier heads alot of folks started to take notice. Then Bobby made his foray into big time cocking at the Hot Springs meets and the cockers started to take notice! Several folks have good solid, game Asils and do good with them for years only thing they dont do is advertise it. Ill give you a prime example of a great cocker who had asil grades in his fowl. Joe Goode used asils in his fowl. Jimmy East put some Asil blood into some of his lieper blood, when he won cocker of the year at sunset several years ago. A couple of other folks have had great success with asil blood but you wont hear them telling it in public... the problem with asils is just like a lot of fowl is to find the good ones. Mr. Boles dint have the only line of game asils, what he did was to perfect them in crossing long before many took notice and started doing the same thing. Id venture to say that today with so many getting good asil blood and using them to make their two and three way crosses for battle it would be hard to dominate the pits like they did years ago..

talisayon/balaw

now...

there are three sides...who said it was a coin? its is a ball...its round and lot of stories to tell...

tanx irish cutt...asils are for naked heels and gaffs for endurance fights....and b. boles doesnt go far away for derbies...

some times it is not the chicken...it is the man and the knife that kills....

more stories anyone? this is getting good..

Re: Bobby Boles' Fowls 101

Up ko lang... nice Thread.

i like this thread,i'm learning a lot.

seems like the albany's always popped in there every now and then...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdi
    The following notes were extracted from Just Jack's emails to me and there will be a test after the class:

Bole's Blacks, Brewer Blacks, or Brass Backs. Ruben and I have the breeding notes and original letters from ther breeders like Bowdouin in Texas who shipped Bob the Fardown cock. He was a coal black and his saddles and sickles were so long they dragged the ground-a very Sumatra like trait. He was the greatest cutting cock Bob ever saw-had won 5 fights for Bowdouin and Bob fought him 6 more times.. because he didn't trust his gameness. Bob bred him to every hen on the place and line bred back to him from his old BB hen line. ( I got 2 cocks from Bob at 2 different times from this line-great cutters both). This cock's blood went into the "big nick". Les also told me that Bob just told him the BB's were Warhorses. That's not what he told me when I helped him purge them for 3 days on 2 different occasions. I new the old man, Mr. Hoover, from Ill. or Ind., a warhorse breeder. They didn't come from him. Bob said they were bred by RL Sanders in Ala. the Brown-Red Leopard breeder. They were known as the Derry/Wall fowl and Sanders bred them for Col. Brewer i.e. the Brewer Blacks. They were a black Irish/Claiborne or Baltimore topknot cross-hence (Irish Fardown/Irish whitehackle or Derby/and Spanish. The Claibornes were arguably the greatest cocks of the 1800's in every clime and weapon in America and only later surpassed by their cross on the Back Irish fowl which cross made the Warhorses-Bobby said. Bobby ordered and fought and bred these fowl from Sanders. They were mostly black-toppy fowl. They called them the black death cocks-like the Negro Mora's the Pirate whipped Britan's best with--Bobby got cocker of the year in Calif. with them before he ever put oriental in them- they were good but not great like their grades-the big nicks. Bobby sometimes refered to these BB hens as black claiborne hens. ( At about this same time Dabby Boles had partnered up with Bill Vizzard in Cal.-they were fighting a toppy/grey/oriental cross very succesfully-later known as the Vizzard greys and Pete Mckinley greys in Ne.:and, a cross of one of these cocks back to Claiborne hens in Utah known as the George Rice greys that went into the fowl known as the Kansas City Toppies-the best cutting fowl on the major circuit , according to Bobby. One year Bobby got down to one old brewer black hen and an 8 time winning black death cock-a smooth headed one. Ever since he bred to that pair he lost the toppy in them. When he called Sanders to get more, Sanders said he didn't have them anymore. Col. Brewer's feeder didn't like him and cold-cocked him with a replacement broodcock one year. When he found out about it it was too late as he always gave the BB's the same mark so didn't know the good ones from the bad ones -so killed them all. That's why Bob was looking for new blood when he used the Fardown cock and a Sid cock-both of which were bred down to less than 1/64 th in the BB's. ( Denis Drown and I crossed the BB's on Albany and Mug in Idaho in the 70's and won everything including the Big 8 cock in Utah).

These are pics extracted from the old Bobby Boles' video sent to me by a good friend.
    Thanks for sharing Pare Lino:

Enjoy!!!

Nice clips sir Nanding... Downloaded all of em... I see the famous lines in there... Including the Black Boles and the Doms (camouflaged)...

thanks,

Chris

up this one

Wished You a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Ferdi...................

Quote Originally Posted by don b
    up this one

Wished You a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Ferdi...................
    sir donb,

got a PM for you...

Happy New Year Also to you and your Family...

Chris

Re: More Stories from Just Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdi
    In 1994 when I visited Bob & Susan and picked up another pair of aseels and a Fardown line cock and hen, Robbie white visited us in Bob's living room. I had arranged for a Dr. in Denver to try a new treatment on Robbie's Parkinson's disease. Robbie and Bobbie discussed some Filipino to whom Bob gave some cocks and no hens. I think his name was Mitra. After I got home with the fowl, I got a call from a brother or relative to Pres. Aquino. They offered to fly to DIA in a private jet and buy a dozen eggs from me for $1000 if I wouldn't sell them any fowl. I declined, thank goodness, because Robbie and Bobbie heard about it. Robbie thought Bobbie was testing me, also. That's what happenned to Bob's and Les's relationship. Les sold some Filipino some asils that had the Boles aseel broodcock blood in it for some amount like $23K they told me. Bob never talked to Les again and was mad at me for having any dealings with him. I always got along with Les Quite well. We belong to the same church and religion. I still owe Les a trio of the Red Richardson Butchers I had in the 70's but they turned cold and I didn't send them. They were 20 minute wonders..they fought like hell for exactly 20 minutes-then squalled and ran . I probably bred them too close for too long and they couldn't take it. My original pair threw really good cocks...maybe they cut so good I didn't think they could be cold. Bobbie warned me about those "English " Derbys. He said they wouldn't purge out like his Irish lines. 20 minutes was a long way from 3 days! Bob had a similar prior experience with them graded on oriental, he said..Maybe ok for knife if you use the asil hen..but not our kind of fowl. Say hello to Mr. Saia for me. justjack

to all,

had a merry xmas and happy new year!

sir ferdie,

thanks for the post sir about the boles asils!
    Robbie and Bobbie discussed some Filipino to whom Bob gave some cocks and no hens. I think his name was Mitra.

i think your referring to late senator ramon "monching" mitra!
    perhaps the sixth son of monching which is abraham "baham" mitra could attest if there is no boles asil hen..the mitraboles lines where being breed in palawan..

is there anyone one here that got some bloodlines direct from monching or baham??
    thanks again sir for the good post! god bless!

best,
    masbategamefarm

Serge Capistrano, a very good friend of the Late Ramon Mitra said that there were no Boles hen. Mitra sent his wife to visit Bobby and only got another red cock. They were all bred out of Boles cocks.................................