Thread: yellow legged mclean

Post Thanks / Like

yellow legged mclean

can anyone give me an infor regarding this bloodline. What bloodline are they good to cross with?

Post Thanks / Like

is that crossed or pure?

i haven't heard of yl mclean yet. is your mclean flyer or grounder? try crossing it with sweater, kelso or roundhead. you will never go wrong.

buhawi
    the old hatch family then was purely straightcomb,green legs........the american breeders added boston roundhead blood.........since then ........came hatch family with peacomb,yellow legs.......and could cut and break well...and...still retained their unequaled gameness and hitting power.
    yellow legged mcleans........are the yellow legged hatch.......
    ray hoskins fowl is one of them........pinnon YLH is also an example........stuart YLH.....oakgrove YLH........etc. etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    any body know and describe the pure mclean hatch. i had a mclean hatch 7/8 green legged.. mclean kaya ito!!!!!

buhawi
    mostly medium stationed cocks with broad back.......lemon to dark lemon hackles as well as saddles....black breast....peacomb.......green legs.......fast power shuffling hatch that can break good in the air.this is my foundation blood that i use to cross to any other fast shuffling,fast moving,cutting families of fowl like kelsos,roundheads,brownreds......etc. etc.

i like hatches as broodcocks

rendelros
    what is the difference between Ruble Hatch & Mclean Hatch?

sndiegogamefarm
    ruble are straight comb while mclean are pea comb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ted Mclean, the breeder of the said hatch family, had his birds come Both yellow and green. I was told by people associated with him that they are the same. You can breed the green legged ones together and you might come up with the occasional yellow and vice versa. Mine came from Harry Parr, thru a friend. Mr Parr was Ted's friend and breeding partner. These birds are deep game but can not be fought straight in the knife. They do not know how to fight and need to be bred to the most a quarter, I think. Oh they also come straight comb at times, specially the yellow legged ones. I have some pics in gallery. This blood has won the pretigeous Claymore tournament at least twice, I was told.

The original Sanford Hatch that Ted Mclean got was a cross between a Stone Brown Red and Kearney Whitehackle, the latter being yellow legged. This is why the Mcleans will sometimes come yellow legged. I have had some Kearneys from Floyd Gurley and they fight just like the Hatch. Deep game and strong, but you guessed it, can not fight that good. I have seen old man Floyd win with these birds with sheer gameness alone.

Salvaje

Wedgetail

The origonal hatch was

Not such a great fighter, but they were bred for the "slow" heel, which is not a short gaff but like a short knife with a blunt or rounded point.

With this weapon design, gameness, bottom & power are the prime requirements of a cock. The weapon design is not good for fast kills so gameness was the number 1 requirement.

If you look at all the "good" hatches today (for gaff or knife) none are Hatch "Hatches" they are Mclean "Hatches", Doc Robinson "hatches", Perry "hatches" etc (no offence to those not mentioned there are plenty of good ones) which is the origonal hatch blood infused with that breeders "secret blood" to get them suitable for their weapon of choice and then "set" as a family.

YFIS
    Wedgetail

OakwoodGameFarm

Yellow Leg Hatch

Good info on YLH. Which you guys consider a good YLH to own or to have. Herman Pinion, Black Water YLH (Steward/Stewart), Harold Brown (oakgrove). What YLH can do? How it differs from sweater. Sometime they look the same? How can you differentiate one from the other? I appreciate your response. Have a lovely day everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yellow Leg Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by OakwoodGameFarm
    Good info on YLH. Which you guys consider a good YLH to own or to have. Herman Pinion, Black Water YLH (Steward/Stewart), Harold Brown (oakgrove). What YLH can do? How it differs from sweater. Sometime they look the same? How can you differentiate one from the other? I appreciate your response. Have a lovely day everyone.
    yellow legged hatch cock x kelso hen = sweater

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: yellow legged mclean

your definitely right my friend, my favorite the Sweater is the combinatiion of a Hacth for Power, Gameness + Kelso for the brain, side stepping waving move, and for the Good Looks especially the White Streamer Tails yellow legged Sweater...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: yellow legged mclean

Quote Originally Posted by rendelros
    what is the difference between Ruble Hatch & Mclean Hatch?
    billie ruble is different from ted mclean

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: yellow legged mclean

Quote Originally Posted by royandres314
    your definitely right my friend, my favorite the Sweater is the combinatiion of a Hacth for Power, Gameness + Kelso for the brain, side stepping waving move, and for the Good Looks especially the White Streamer Tails yellow legged Sweater...
    whitehackle x brownred = hatch
    roundhead x hatch = yl hatch
    yl hatch x kelso = sweater

Post Thanks / Like

whitehackle x brownred = hatch
    roundhead x hatch = yl hatch
    yl hatch x kelso = sweater

Post Thanks / Like

whitehackle x brownred = hatch (power + shuffle)
    roundhead x hatch = yl hatch (brain, side step, tops the opponent + power shuffler)
    yl hatch x kelso = sweater (the kelso has the ability to fight in the air "salto")

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buhawi
    the old hatch family then was purely straightcomb,green legs........the american breeders added boston roundhead blood.........since then ........came hatch family with peacomb,yellow legs.......and could cut and break well...and...still retained their unequaled gameness and hitting power.
    yellow legged mcleans........are the yellow legged hatch.......
    ray hoskins fowl is one of them........pinnon YLH is also an example........stuart YLH.....oakgrove YLH........etc. etc.
    ..NO ! you are wrong,,Sanderford Hatch fought ten yellow legged roosters to every green legged one,,Sandy Hatch's main show fowl were Kearney Whitehackles and their crosses..
    ..Ted McLean bred primarily YLH,PC'ed and SC'ed..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kelso_ryan
    And according Carol Nesmith (on his article about his Blackwater Sweaters), he added Hoskins Yellow Legged Mclean blood to improve his Sweaters and "that was the blood that put the Sweaters back on the map".

Post Thanks / Like

here is hargab yl mclean video fight in last years cvba 7stag derby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyRY5...eature=related

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Engkanto
    And according Carol Nesmith (on his article about his Blackwater Sweaters), he added Hoskins Yellow Legged Mclean blood to improve his Sweaters and "that was the blood that put the Sweaters back on the map".
    The original YLMcLean were made from a boston roundhead cock cross to a McLean Hen by Herman McGinnis, the bullstags that came from Herman McGinnis were crossed to a walter kelso hens by Walter himself, and made the "sweater". Blackwater's winning line is a half possum half yellow legged McLean hatch. ( 3/4 YLMcLean 1/4 Kelso) These were called the $5,000 Line, ginaya lang ni Dink Fair
    Last edited by kelso_ryan; May 26th, 2010 at 09:15 PM.