Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kelso Bloodline

Post Thanks / Like

Kelso Bloodline

Hello Sirs,
    Can anyone help me pls. I would like to know what bloodline(s) does a KELSO chicken consist of and what other bloodlines does Mr. KELSO had and also pls if anyone can tell me on whose (breeder) has got the best KELSO lines. Thanks so much in advance on your comments and advices, Take care all and god bless...MJF

Post Thanks / Like
    Try Search

tibak
    mfuentebella,

about 2 weeks ago, i and my friend visited george foster's farm in coweta, oklahoma. we purchased some yellow-legged dark red-colored pure kelso broodstags and some pure nice hens. they all look promising. for your information, mr. foster was the champion at mid-america in 1999 scoring a perfect 12-0 using his kelsos. he is very easy to talk with. i can assure you that he will entertain all your questions regarding his breed. i am highly recommending him to you if you are in need of good kelsos. i believe he also has some good sheryl penny hatches. i can give you his number and you can inquire directly with him. i personally believe that he has one of the best kelsos around, if not the best.

tibak

Post Thanks / Like
    tibak can you give me the number I would love to acquire some foster kelso to go with my newly acquired hatches. Maybe if it's alright can you pm me his contact number. Oh yeah which ones are better the darker reds yellow legs or the white legs lighter color hackle those are the two I have seen in the pictures. Just wondering.

tibak
    kc fowl,

my personal preference is tha dark red yellow legs. i will pm you his number. may i know where you are based? does kc mean kansas city hehehe

tibak

buhawi
    kelso fowl were mostly col. madigin fowl....walther kelso got most of madigin`s fowl when he died.they say walther infused tom murphy blood.......and farther say......that murphy blood ruined the kelso fowl.and whoelse said that?......doc robinson:lol:

tom murphy didn`t pay attention to doc............that made him madder than ever:lol: tom murphy fowl was considered as one of the best at that time.nowadays......doc robinson hatch and kelso are one of the most sought blood..............aggressive fowl that can cut with power.

ghetto_grappler

the subject of kelso cross

just purchased two birds from bob rodgers

he has the cecil davies kelso....i have got the cross...

perry hatch crossed with the kelso...these crosses of kelso are really good...

their air game is good but their ground skills are phenemenol.......

their dark red with white legs....he says that some will come out yellow leg if you breed them

ness cabalfin
    sir tibak,

can you pls also pm me the number of george foster?

i'm interested also of his kelsos.

thanx.

tibak
    ness,

i just pm'd you george foster's #. good luck!

tibak

ness cabalfin
    boss tibak,

your pm box is full. thanks anyway for the contact number.

i'll give it a try and talk to him and maybe i'll get a trio.

i'm from bacolod city but my farm now is in mis., occ. in mindanao.

presently in saudi arabia and doing the remote control

management of my farm with my kid brother doing the hands on

managing for me.

i'm grateful buddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

mfuentebella,

sorry bro for my inbox full and for my late reply...actually i got my Kelso line local imported cross...that was from Alabama sent by a friend and i cross it to my local imported here...the outcome was promising but still i was not able to test them in LK here maybe time come...they come yellow and white leg, pea and straight comb, good body conformation, heavy bone, power and good cutter...as i've said it is not yet pitted but i love them see sparred like those in the WSD Kelso fighter...lol!

see the original sire in marlon c. angay gallery...

WickedFrog
    ROGER ROBERTS CECIL DAVIES KELSO

tibak
    ness,

you're welcome. i would like to help my fellow cockers in whatever way i can. buti ka pa nga at may farm na. ako i am just starting. may younger brother din ako sa p.i. pero walang hilig sa pagmamanok kaya hindi ko malaman kung paano ko didiskartehan itong mag trios ko dito. for the time being, i am keeping it here i california at a 6-acre property of my mexican friend. so far so good. i have a few in the philippines with a friend. he'll start breeding them this season. we'll find out next year if they will turn out okay.

george foster is really a good guy. i can vouch for that.

you can email me at tonyr@contactpsc.com if you want your message private.

thanks.

tibak

mr suwabe
    follow up question sirs, who originated the cardinal club kelso?

Negros Occ. Phils / Binmaley Pangasinan Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like
    Roger Roberts Kelso.. hard hitting... good cutting kelso simply awesome!

karan
    mfuentabella... according to mr. kelso it is a result of a fourway cross..1/4claret, 1/4murphy, 1/4pipeliner, 1/4rounhead...:hippie:

syapol
    pareng tibak,

dont bother sending me the contact number of mr foster will just wait for the offspring of your trios hehehehe...

goodluck!

pareng syapol

San Luis
    George Foster Kelso... Uhmmm. Let me see.. I have one broodcock in the farm but it's a G.foster Kelso / Sweater.. awesome fighting machine.. Your're right tibak.. those dark hackle and yellow legs one are the best george foster kelso.. you can cross them with melsims hatches as well as sweaters..

inoshero

i got 3 diff kelsos bloodline in dabao

i got jumper kelso broodcock- wb still intact - got it straight from the living legend-WL and dark brown
    c davis kelso broodcock- from bobby langsford of gamerunner GF/ texas..WL- black spur...cocker of the year (back to back) as voted by grit and still magazine
    cardinal club kelso- loyce D lines- YL and pea comb...we raise a lot of trios/ pairs from them... call max A at 63 82 227 4276 hm / 5331 office...proven and tested in SK and LK..

Post Thanks / Like

Sir karan and Sir winged creator

Thanks for the info. I wished that some of our fellow sabungeros here would do the same. Now guys lets go back to the question been asked......KELSO BLOODLINE... Anyways many thanks for sharing all your infos... MJF

Post Thanks / Like

my kelso stag...

in the gallery won unscathed the other sunday..the opponent is also a stag...a hatch grey stag....one buckle one fly...the grey is dead...fastest killed...yellow leg dark hackle...just want to test him in the pit for a possible broodcock....a lance de la torre line...

awesome...game..wavy..and fly high....only 1.8 kgs...but great body...

Post Thanks / Like

kelso cross...

any experience with a kelso-dom cross? i am really interested in improving and propagating my old man's dom lines. any input will be appreciated. thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I READ...

SOMEONE HERE THAT HIS DOM HAS A DROP OF FOWLER KELSO BLOOD..AND ITS WINNING...THE SAD THING THAT IT IS ALSO A MEAN MANFIGHTER HECK OF A ROOSTER...:lol:

Post Thanks / Like
    Kelso Bloodline

By Lou Elliott (Nov. 1974)

Walter A. Kelso, who died in 1964, fought his cocks under the entry name of Oleander-a type of flowering shrub that grows profusely in the semi-tropical climate of his home on Galveston Island, Texas. In the heyday of the pure old-time strains Kelso was a maverick. His Oleander cocks were simply a succession of battle crosses. For example, when John Madigin died in 1942, Kelso and Bill Japhet inherited all of his Clarets, Madigin Grays, and Texas Rangers. Most any breeder would do anything in his power to keep the stock pure. However, Kelso wrote, "I immediately began infusing new blood in the Madigin hens." Kelso obtained his brood cocks from other breeders after he saw the cock fight. He was more interested in performance than he was the name of the strain. He would mate the new cock to a sister of his best pit cocks. If the cross were successful, he would add other sisters to the pen. More often than not, the pen produced worthless offspring and the cock was discarded. At any rate, that was the method used to produce the Out-and-Out Kelso family that is still the foundation stock for many of the best winning cocks fought in the major pits today. The Out-and-Out Kelso family was so-called because they were marked in the outside web of both feet. The cocks are generally black-breasted reds (ranging from a deep mahogany to light reds) with their white or yellow legs and pea or straight comb. About 1940, during the Orlando Tournament, Judge Ed Wilkins of San Antonio, Texas, fought a beautiful light blue Typewriter cock that won his first fight easily and was repeated to win a second fight on the same day. Kelso asked for and received this cock. The typewriters are a great family of game fowl made by crossing a Marsh Butcher cock over two Irish Blue hens from James G.Oakley of Alabama. The Butcher family is a cross of Grove Whitehackle (Lawman and Gilkerson) and the Marsh Gray Speeders, which are reported to be a combination of the old Santo Domingo Grays from the West Indies island of that name and Burnell Shelton's old Knob comb Blues. The Typewriter cocks were placed on a walk with some of Hill McClanahan's Claret Roundhead hens. A blue cock from this mating was bred in 1942 to two straight comb hens from Tom Murphy of Long Island, New York. Most of the cocks were Yankee Clippers that Bobby Schlesigner of Charolottesville, Virginia, had obtained from E.W. Law of Thomasville, Georgia. Duke offered to let Kelso have any of the Clipper cocks he liked. Kelso with Sweater McGinnis handling had met Schlesigner in his deciding fight at 1942 Orlando Tournament. Kelso won the fight and the Tournament but had been impressed with the quality of the Schlesinger cocks. Kelso passed up several of Duke's easy winners and finally selected a cock that won against a Hatch cock after 58 fighting over an hour in the drag pit with the odds 100 to 40 against him. E.W. Law started these Yankee Clippers by crossing his Clarets with Dan O'Connell's Albany fowl. This Albany family was made by mating some hens that were Hatch, Foley's Ginger, Roundhead, and maybe some Pine Whitehackle (Stryker, mostly), with a Hardy Mahogany cock (Jim Thompson Mahogany and Kearney cross). The Yankee Clipper cock was mated to two of the Left-Out Kelso hens to produce the original Out-and-Out cocks that won 85 percent of their fights in major competition over a six-year period (1947 to 1953). These cocks were 1/2 Yankee Clipper, 1/4 Murphy, 1/8 Typewriter, 1/8 McClanahan. In 1951, Oleander won the Oaklawn Derby at Hot Springs, Arkansas, with a ten and two score. One of the Out-and-Out cocks won a quick battle and then was repeated to also win the deciding fight. In his second win, the cock broke the tip of his wing. This was the Broke wing cock that was mated back to three Murphy cross hens (probably from the Left-Out yards). In 1955, cocks from this Broke wing yard were fought in the Oaklawn Derby and Oleander won ten, lost two to split first money. At the Oaklawn Derby in 1956, Oleander won four lost four the first two days of fighting and then on the last, they had a full show of the pea-comb cocks from the Broke wing yard. They won four straight to tie for first money with the Van Horne entry of Kentucky. It just so happened that the Van Horne entry was using cocks bred by Curtis Blackwell out of a full brother to the four final Oleander winners. In 1957 Kelso advertised all of his fowl for sale except the cock he needed for the events he had promised to enter. In the ad, his bloodlines are listed as Murphy, McClanahan, Claret and Albany. It was rumored that the Broke wing yard went to a major cocker for $ 500.00.

sndiegogamefarm
    oriental d. u must have a lot of old gamecock book. interesting story though i got lucky to have all the bloodline mention. oconell albany fr. doyle watson he got the blood fr. mr. knox moore, claret fr. howard belk, murphy from carl smith.

Post Thanks / Like

EXCELLENT REPORT

Hello Sir orientaldelight,
    Thank you so much sir for your valuable and very informative input into this discussion, I myself has really appreciated your post. Once again THANK YOU.....LETS GET THE BALL ROLLING GUYS...MORE INFO PLS.....MJF

ellisgamefowl
    mfuentebella , send me an e-mail so I can send you some pictures . ellisgamefowl@aol.com

I don't have any of the out & out's for sale but I do have them . Sonny Poe has had them since 1972 . He got them from John O. Fowler . In 1976 , Sonny started breeding the out & out's for Mr. Fowler and had access to the very best brood fowl . If you can find some one who has the out & out's direct from Sonny , I suggest you try to buy them . I don't think he has many now .

I'm not about to say they're the best kelso out there . I tried that once and most of you know the out come of that . But it's hard to find any better in my opinion . You can find kelso's that are gamer , if that's a word . Let's just say more game . But the lines I have from Sonny have been producing some of the most athletic birds i've seen . You'll get a few donkeys that'll hack up in the molt and never amount to anything , but the good ones are top notch . I think those donkeys are the results of inbreeding depression . Sonny has had them since 1972 and never added new blood into them . He would cross lines from some of his friends back into them from time to time but what he crossed back in them was his blood that they had .

Post Thanks / Like

THANKS SO MUCH

Sir ellisgamefowl, Thanks so much for the pictures that you've e-mailed to me that was much appreciated sir. Hopefully you'll have success on those crosses that you're breeding, I'll even aquire some of your out-out one day (That's if you have any to sell) for my breeding materials. All the best sir and god bless...MJF

tibak
    pareng syapol,

just wait for a few months and they'll have their offsprings. they're with me right now in so. california but i will be sending them to my partner's farm in tanay sometime january. you can get some stags and pullets from him during the summer.

per george foster himself, he said he blended them with some hatches since 1996 with outstanding results. but he never deviated from his kelsos as his foundation.

with his permission, here's his cell phone number 918-271-4555.

he is a great guy to deal with. very honest. he said it is not all business for him. he mentioned that also wants to establish friendships with a lot of us sabungeros.

thank you.

tibak

Texas 2 Cebu

I Purchased Jumper Kelso's

Purchased a Stag and pullet from Johnnie and Randy Jumper, Nov 5th and sent to brother-in-law. Don't know who got the best but i decided to stay with the legend. Mr Jumper was very easy to speak with and so was Randy his son.

Brother-in-law in Cebu don't sound disappointed, so excited his English gets all messed up. The Jumpers aint cheap.

Time will tell if investment was wise. After we made the deal for the Kelsos i asked Mr Jumper about his Sweaters, said he would sell me one, but give the Nesmiths (Blackwater Farm) a call and speak with Chris. "This is where we get our Sweaters from."

Now if that aint a Gentleman. That along sold me. Customer service is very important in my BooK. The Jumpers where 1st Class.

Researching i see: them Kelsos in (Mississippi), them Sweaters (Alabama)

Quincy in Texas
    retiring to Cebu