hope most will learn the ways!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Moselina

MOSELINA
    no more guesswork for me

ronking

guys...

bai moselina....

thanks for that....that makes a lot of sense now....

my question is wat happen if the parents die of old age....u cant simply continue the bloodline? is it possible....i guess thats the time to buy new breeding and start all over again i guess...

RonRon :rbounce:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing.
    Much appreciated.

:smoke:

...in the end.... the key ingredient to a successful breeding as mentioned... is selection - to have an eye for that outstanding bird among the flock.

Post Thanks / Like
    very interesting....

Post Thanks / Like
    Moselina,
    Good addition to reference materials and thank you for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Inbreeding or Basic Linebreeding

RONKING

This is the whole reason for Linebreeding. You are breeding back to each parent up to 7/8 or 15/16.

You are in a scence, reproducing your original pair. You then have new brood fowl to replace the old pair to carry on your bloodline.

MOSELINA, good find.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree..... linebreeding to that particular parent to 7/8.....15/16....... and even 31/32.......

you're not going to get that origanal parent you sought after.... but it'll get you close to that parent.

Brokewing

Thanks for sharing, that was educational

Moselina,

That was a worth while referrence article on inbreeding and linebreeding applications. Hope others will take the time to read it too.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep

You will never get them exact but you will get them close.

I have shared this once in another thread but I will post it again so you will have an idea how far to go while Linbreeding.

The first siblings will have 50% of each, give or take.

When you put the son over his mother the first time, you will have 3/4 the hen side, breeding away 25% of the cock side.

The next mating will be 7/8, breeding away 12.5% of the cock side.

The next mating will be 15/16, breeding away 6.25% of the cock side.

Next will be 31/32, breeding away 3.125% of the cock side.

Now, it will be up to you as well as your fowl on how far you want to go. How far they will let you go with out showing inbred depression.

The farther you go, the tighter they get while taking out a smaller % of the other side each time you go back to them.

I usually stop at 15/16. I can't see going to 31/32 to take away 3.125%, unless they are still very strong & healthy, as well as the 15/16 siblings being the same.

ka king
    i know there are alot of things to learn from inbreeding and linebreeding.....just like me, need alot of room to learn.

tks jim for the post.......keep coming.

those with valuable ideas and experienced......pls....share

Post Thanks / Like
    I just want to ask your opinion when you do linebreed......... which ones do you fight and at what percentage do you start in keeping seedfowls ?.....

in an article that I read before..... he stated that when you line breed.... fight the 1/4.....3/4..... and in some cases the 7/8............................ and keep the 7/8......15/16......... and the 31/32 for seed fowls.

any inputs will be appreciated by novice breeders like me. :teeth:

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen numerous work on breeding where the writer described in detail how to put together matings for generation after generation, complete with charts and graphs alike. They preach the would be breeder in a step by step procedure accompanied by tables and lines so that in the third generation or so, you should have this or that, etc; It sounds wonderful because everything is put together in a neat formula. All you need to do is follow these chart and success will follow... Well, Except for a few handfull, the majority never went very far. Not surprisingly because if such a formula existed, everyone would be super breeders in their own rights.
    To me. breeding is more of an ART than a science. You can teach someone like a geneticist exactly what you want in an animal and he ought to be more succesful than one with little knowledge of the subject, but this is not always the case. By the same token, you can teach a peson how to play an instrument and they become excellent musicians or technicians. I have known several gamefowl breeders who had more than adequate breeding knowledge but where unable to produce superior fowls. I have also known quite a few breeders with no or little technical knowledge in geneticts, consistently breed superior stock. These people had a FEEL for what they were doing and almost instinctively chose the right matings and individuals to breed. My point here is that while one cannot know too much about the SCIENCE of breeding, it falls back to the ART of breeding to produce class A stock of fowls. You can play the number games. 3/4, 7/8, 15/16 etc; the bottom line is the result of each mating must always be thoroughly evaluated before the next mating is determined. The breeder has a lot to work with. He ought to be able to raise from a pair more than enough for selection. If a mistake is made, he should not hesitate to cull or eliminate the whole flock. On the other hand, if the mating looks promising, he will have a nice selections from which to choose from. You can linebreed and produce an individual genetically as close to the original as passible. You can then pick your best pullet and breed her back to the father and vice versa and repeat the same matings using the same procedures until you are so close to the original... In theory, this can be repeated again and ideally would provide the best for the preservation of your family. Again, from a practical standpoint, some people are able to do it while others has very little chance of succeeding. Suppose: l
    1) specimens raised in a certain generation of linebreeding were inferior
    2) an individual used for linebreeding was lost
    3) decease or outbreak surface in the process, etc.
    It is therefore important that the breeder recognizes these foregoing charts as outline only and to have an alternate when things go wrong. One must realize and be able to have alternate choices and accept, when necessary the loss of his bloodlines.
    Again, the result of each mating must be evaluated before the next mating can be contemplated. Lastly, recording and knowing how the exact pedigree of your fowl is one thing, but having that certain feel and eyesight on selecting you fowl for performance is another thing, because BREEDING IS MORE OF AN ART THAN SCIENCE.
    Just my thoughts... Keep em crowning...

ronking

guys....

thanks colt mate.....its all making sense now...thanks once again mate....

also thanks for everyone that posted....

RonRon :rbounce:

Post Thanks / Like

One more little secret to Linebreeding

If I want to linebreed back to a specific line, I sometimes will take that very best superior cock & while linebreeding back to him, I will breed him over his very best nieces that are out of the select sisters, as well.

This way, before linbreeding back to the hen side, you will start out with 3/4 that same blood but you will have 1/2 of the verybest brothers side to go over the hen (sisters) side with.

The next mating will be the grandson/nephew that will, like I said, already be 3/4 of that line, bred to the hen side to produce 7/8 but will still have 1/4 of the brothers superior genes & 3/4 the hen line.

Go one more time, to 15/16 which will be 7/8 the hen side & the other 1/8, will be her brothers side, this in a scence, producing a pure line.

Hope I did the math right :lol:

Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting topic.

Post Thanks / Like
    :hombre:

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread is very helpful to the beginners like me.. keep up the goodworks

scirroco n zion

Thumbs up inbreeding and linebreeding

invaluable piece of information, moselina. I'm sure a lot of our fellow cockers will learn something from this. i hope there will be more sharing of infos like the you gave, moselina!:sprcool:

Post Thanks / Like
    moselina...nice post:smoke:

MOSELINA

the author

give credit to the author, he give us an additional idea.
    I am learning.