Thread: lemon 84???

edmcclaskey

lemon 84???

will someone please tell me about this famous rooster?
    what is its breeding and history please?

bunsoy
    lemon 84 ...

claimed to be a johnny jumper fowl ... probably a lemon hackled hatch fowl which was brought to the philippines by mr. rafael araneta ... the number 84 came from the leg band.

it is a peacomb hatch ... and seems to be pre-potent, as his offsprings were winning at high percentage during that time ... probably 60's to early 70's ...

so popular in the philippines, that it became sort of a standard indicator to a farm ... so almost every old timer breeders have this strain ...

even today, some breeders still keepign this line ...

many has been written about the lemon 84 of mr. raffy araneta.

edmcclaskey

lemon 84

any pictures out there of lemon 84 please?

jmmparaiso

edmcclaskey

lemon 84

is this pic a pea comb or straight comb, ??? pearl leg? white leg? its hard to see in pic, for please ed

Post Thanks / Like

lemon 84

ed

look up mirabella real game farm at the pitmaster site & look at the old time duke hulsey lemons....one & d same

CYMRU
    I'm not so familiar of this cock's history. But this is what I have read, the Lemon 84 cock was from Duke Hulsey. This cock was given to Paeng Araneta in the '60s and he then shared this broodcock to other Bacolod breeders( his buddies). The original Lemon 84 was a green legged, medium-station, and Lemon hackled, thus the name Lemon and its leg band number was 84. He then linebred this cock and there came out some yellow legs..So, some of the modern Lemon strains now are yellow legged...The Lemon 84 cock was a Butcher-Claret-McClean Hatch blends of Duke Hulsey. If you want to know more about the details of this magnificient cock, you can try browsing from the previous thread.

This photo was taken from the Book entitled: Philippine Cocking Fundamentals by: Emoy Gorgonia, et al

[IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

paeng araneta

still going strong after so many years made by an american perfected by a filipino,mr paeng araneta.and its made even better by many others that followed,..

Post Thanks / Like
    History of Lemon "84"

The Lemon 84 was a Duke Hulsey cock that was shipped to me in 1967 by the late Duke. At that time the "Duke" had established an outstanding win record in the Philippines using his "Lemon Hackles" as he called them. In breeding they were Hatch/Butcher/Claret. He had established this as a strain and they were so good that almost everybody wanted to have some to breed. But the Duke was under contract to the late J. Amado Araneta and his son Jorge and would not sell any.
    I was privileged to have acquired 1 lemon cock & 2 hens in 1965 and the now legendary "84" cock in 1967. I bred him to the hens out of the first lemon cock on the lemon hens. To coin a cliche, the rest is history. I had perpetuated the strain of lemon hackles of the Duke. We bred them every which way and they were just so good, that at that time we dominated the field of locally bred(in the Philippines) chickens. I had let out a few of this lemons to some trully fine gentlemen of the sport who, at one time or another had helped me. Soon the whole province where I lived had some of this blood in their own chickens.
    I did not care to keep the blood to myself, always believing that something as good as this should be shared, mortality being a reality that confronts us all. Over the years, I had met some of these. Some had whipped me and I whipped some. But whichever side won, made a man proud that he had done something good to the game that would far outlive him.

Post Thanks / Like
    what's your name?

Post Thanks / Like

elson55

sir ,you just told everyone that u acquired 1 lemon cock & 2 hens in 1965 .....i check your profile....u were born in July 30, 1955...meaning to say u had your lemon when u was 10 yrs old...

Post Thanks / Like
    elson55 post was the history of lemon 84 in Paeng Araneta's website.

http://www.geocities.com/paeng_lemon84/

Buddy

Post Thanks / Like

PURE WHITE THROWBACK

Elson...
    did any of your lemon had a pure white throwback ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mel and Silver2dmoon,
    You got to be kidding. What Iíve posted is the history of lemon 84 copied from another thread to help out Edmcclaskey in his query. Maybe in my next life I can generate my own strain to compete with Kogmohon's mcduck.

edmcclaskey

lemon 84

http://pitfowl.com/velcro

Thank You for the pics and information on the famous Lemon 84

The e. h. hulsey larry carter sells in california is that some of the original blood see his add in gamecock???

Post Thanks / Like

Percentage

Can somone please explain what is the bloodline percentage for the famous Lemon 84 fowls.

Thanks in advance!!

Post Thanks / Like
    :lol:

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice quetion Dex.