Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Kelso

El Espaņol

Black Kelso

My cousin is trying to convince me there is such a thing as a black Kelso, but I have never heard of that. Maybe he means the really dark red ones?

Comments?

Regards,

Post Thanks / Like
    maybe there is really black kelso since there is also white kelso.

orlando
    maybe as a throwback

Post Thanks / Like

Black Kelso

Black + Kelso = Mcrae

james wolf
    i believe a black mcrae is a nigger roundhead & kelso cross
    mountain view gallery has a picture of a dark legged kelso (out & out jumper)

El Espaņol
    Thanks.

My cousin was trying to tell me that they exist, but I never heard of such a thing. I will send him some dead bugs or something in the mail.

Regards,

Post Thanks / Like
    :lol: nice one jon

pax111

black Kelso

I am from Mexico and Johny Jumper and his birds are very respected there.

A breeder who purchased Jumper kelsos direct and had been inbreeding them and keeping them pure for about 15 years had a solid black, pearl eyed, white legged stag.

He did not have any other breeds and kept miticoulous records and single mated.

He wanted to keep the stag fro breeding purposes, however he felt that he needed to test all his brood roosters. Consequently, he lost this rooster the first time out by a lucky strike from the other rooster who was down and almost out.

Eventually, he added some white Spanish blood to his kelsos because they were loosing some vitality from the close inbreeding ( 20 years of it).

El Espaņol
    The plot thickens!

Thanks PAX111.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is one of the unfortunate offshoots of sticking to breed names.

We need not go to such extreme. Take for example a Yellow leg red.

Now, it's popular as a sweater, years back this could have been a Kelso or Claret or Roundhead or Whitehackle or Hatch or .................

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black Kelso

we can ask blackwater...or alabama blacks...coz..this breed is fighting like a kelso style...up and waving...feet out...

just my observation..with my alabama blacks...i dont know about any other alabama blacks...maybe im wrong...it has a yellow legs and black spurs..with white tails..(bandilaan)...and the color is lighter than brown red...

Post Thanks / Like

Quite odd but who knows

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe he means a cross of black fowl over kelso fowl = black kelso. OR it could really be kelso fowl that started coming black when bred, just like butchers, whitehackle, and albany gamefowl can throw blacks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guamasil
    Maybe he means a cross of black fowl over kelso fowl = black kelso. OR it could really be kelso fowl that started coming black when bred, just like butchers, whitehackle, and albany gamefowl can throw blacks.
    How bad or crossed can youre brood fowl be when you think its okay to get black kelso, black albany,black whitehackle & black butcher I'm talking 'bout the Marsh butcher call up Mark and ask him it was 1/2 whitehackle 1/2 speeder and then Bill set it as a strain breeding towards the whitehackle looking side . Something that Bill mentioned way back is that when people ordered some would request certain colors and thats it he would do his best to do what the costumers asked now when they ordered for pure butcher's he would send them you got what you ordered think about it . whats next peacomb Butcher.

bonecrash

i heared about the blackhatc..but never heared about this blackkelso but i will talk to my
    friend who has axcess with the jj farm if he has 1.but if sir paxx111 is right why is it this
    bloodline of jj kelsos black are not been in the chicken market up to this days.im from pi
    his red kelso are more respected here do.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been breeding Alborgotti blacks since 1972. Back in 1990 I crossed an alborgotti black cock with a cecil davis kelso hen. The offspring were great fighters and multiple time winners. I then crossed an alborgotti black hen with a Davis kelso cock. The offspring were also sensational fighters. The offspring of both crosses were bred together and developed as a strain. Although they are still great fighters, however the family was becomming smaller each year. Recently, I acquired a Texas Ranger cock from a friend that became a multi time winner and fights similar to the Black Kelso cross family. The Texas Ranger blood has been infused with the Black Kelso family and the offspring are also good fighters. They are smart, side stepping, vertical flyers with multiple shuffling abiliity. They come from 4-12 to 5-12 in weight. yfis.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Black Kelso

i would love to have one black kelso.but ive never seen one yet!maybe they live still in the forest?joke only.he.he...

Post Thanks / Like

Heard it from Blossomhill1925......yup there's such a Black Kelso.....he has shown me a blemished cock in a breeding pen and told me that it was a Black Kelso....

Don't know if there's something special about them....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: johnny jumper Kelso

anybody who knows johnny jumper 's contact number and exact adress?thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Black Kelso????Lol............

edmcclaskey

Thumbs up Re: Black Kelso

cecil davis kelso father
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...dsc00356-1.jpg

son black kelso
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...y/DSC00689.jpg

son black kelso
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...y/DSC00690.jpg

mother is a solid black hen

yes a black kelso is possible........

Post Thanks / Like

i remember bringing in a shipment of birds that included some so-called .. black kelsos .. these were some birds that my friend had seen fight some where and told me we should try out .. 6 of them showed up with the shipment .. the following were their physical characteristics :
    - pea-combed
    - deep reds
    - white - legged
    - black - spurred
    - medium station

the birds did fairly well for us .. not all of them won but most did .. however, they all fought just as my buddy said they would .. we were only able to bring in a dozen more of them after the initial 6 .. the fella did not want to sell anymore of them.

just my two cents ..

Post Thanks / Like

If there is a white kelso, it's not a remote possibility that a black kelso might prop up in the making, who knows, since now a days dedicated gamefowl breeders are seeking new bloodline breed combinations.

Post Thanks / Like

never heard a black kilso

wickedfr0g

Heres my Black Kelso version

Brokewing

Re: black Kelso

Quote Originally Posted by pax111
    I am from Mexico and Johny Jumper and his birds are very respected there.

A breeder who purchased Jumper kelsos direct and had been inbreeding them and keeping them pure for about 15 years had a solid black, pearl eyed, white legged stag.

He did not have any other breeds and kept miticoulous records and single mated.

He wanted to keep the stag fro breeding purposes, however he felt that he needed to test all his brood roosters. Consequently, he lost this rooster the first time out by a lucky strike from the other rooster who was down and almost out.

Eventually, he added some white Spanish blood to his kelsos because they were loosing some vitality from the close inbreeding ( 20 years of it).
    Is it not a fact that Black is dominant over Red, therefore, it would be the same as getting a Pea Comb out of a pair of Straight Comb chickens, which never happens, because Pea Comb is dominant over Straight Comb. Therefore, it would be impossible to get a Black out of a pair of Reds.

Post Thanks / Like

In all my years of cocking I have never seen or heard of a black kelso. But I have heard of black and kelso crosses and they actually make a pretty awsome cross, great all around fighters and actually kelsos are one of my favorites to cross on to my melsims blacks..

Post Thanks / Like

maybe its just a two way cross of blacks and kelso , is there anybody knows the origin of this so called black kelso........

Post Thanks / Like

is there anybody in this site who breed this so called black kelso a breeder in bacolod has this type of bloodline im interested to buy a trio but never heard of this bloodline in my entire cocking life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashley1974 View Post
    is there anybody in this site who breed this so called black kelso a breeder in bacolod has this type of bloodline im interested to buy a trio but never heard of this bloodline in my entire cocking life.
    believe it...they are created and breed by a very good friend capt. joe de sagun...it's the most completely equipped kelso that i can recommend in all types of competition...