Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leiper Hatch

Post Thanks / Like

Leiper Hatch

Is it a cross of Leiper and Hatch or is it a pure bloodline?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leiper Hatch

Up up up up up up............

Post Thanks / Like

As you called it, it could be a cross of the 2 bloodlines; however Leiper and Hatch are 2 different lines.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they crossed eiper and hatch and brought back the hatch blood and threw in some other blood in there along the way to give it some more game

Post Thanks / Like

I would consider them different. Since most green legged chickens are considered Hatch. Judge Leiper was a breeder and bred his hatch his way and set them as a family. Them later being called Leiper's.

Post Thanks / Like

Leipers are a totally different breed. They are more of a whitehackle/roundhead cross. They show more like a roundhead type of fowl with better cutting abilities than hatch fowl. What I think is that Harold brown, Billy Ruble just to name of few breeders had the slow ducking power type of Hatch and added the Leipers to improve the Hatch fowl of today. Most of the modern Hatch fowl have leiper influence in them.

7. Likes Lil Canyon Game liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Please share some more info about leiper hatch and please post some pics. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I knew the answer to this...and I'm glad I double checked myself. It seems that Hatch and Judge Leiper were breeding at the same time and working together...so it is hard to tell just what happened. But it appears that they were two different lines by two different breeders. But it appears that they looked similar, so they were often called "hatch".

That being said, the big breeders now call them HATCHES. Who knows how much interbreeding between the two lines goes on. So I think, to answer your question, there is crossing of the two lines that has now made one line LEIPER HATCH.

Post Thanks / Like

Leiper is leiper and hatch is hatch the only way to have a leiper hatch is to cross the two bloodlines cause they are separate familes just cause thry both have green legs dont make them one in the same its like sayn butcherclaret or roundheadalbany

Post Thanks / Like

True leipers can come green legged and yellow legged also straight or pea comb. My pure leiper hen is yellow legged pea comb and almost solid white. The cock is straight comb green legged and does not look anything like your typical stuff people call leipers. This is the only picture I have of my leipers. I got some young ones running looks to be 1 green legged pullet and 2 green legged stags and 1 yellow legged stag
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I have never seen or heard of a yl leiper. I'm not sayn they don't exist by any means. I guess I'm just used to seeing the green/willow color legs and dark red with pea combs.... Kali...

Post Thanks / Like

I know that most breeders of the old blood call leipers a type of hatch. Just like you would call a blueface a hatch. Johnny Mitchell always called his leipers hatch and if he didn't have the pure ones I doubt any others do.

Post Thanks / Like

Leipers and Hatch are two separate familys. The true leipers are a cross of boston roundhead, whitehackle, and brown-red they do not contain any hatch blood. Bill Roberson of W.V bred the leipers for Judge leiper himself and it is well documented they where a complete and separate family from the hatch lines. Billy Ruble told me setting at Spring Brooke that it was the leiper blood that put his fowl on the map. Cy Taylor of S.C also bred the same leiper cock that Billy Ruble bred and told the same story to me as well. I have had the Johnny Mitchell leiper, the Carl Smith leiper, Cy Taylors leiper and all are great fowl in their own right second to none but in my honest opinion they are Leiper hatch blends and I know for a fact Cys was and Mr. Carl Smiths was, if you ever get your hands on the pure leipers the difference in the fighting style is night and day to the others the pure leipers are fight a roundhead style of fighting, deadly and I mean deadly cutters that fight with the speed of the fastest black fowl. There is a lot of difference in the two familys. I have the Bill Roberson blood and there is no mistaking it with the Mitchells, Carl Smiths or the Cy Taylors in looks and color and fighting style. The pure leipers are more of a orange type color with 2 out of 20 looking like a brown-red type color all with a black ring around the eye pea and straight comb.
    Last edited by Chad Bolan; July 26th, 2013 at 02:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well to get completly technical about the whole deal old man Hatch bred the Hatch fowl and Judge Leiper bred the Leipers so some ppl might think of them as a type of Hatch but im pretty dure its because of their similarities but they are deffinatly two different bloodlines they call the blueface a blueface hatch because its derived from the hatch family and then set as a strain but there are all jinds of bloodlines that are mostly one or mostly another but they were bred by different ppl and set as a strain likes the many different kinds of greys if they didnt have the obvious grey plumage they would simply be know as Goodes or Frosts just like a Sweater may strongly resemble a YL Hatch they are different set strains and therefore known as two different bloodlines all the bloodlines are mixes of different fowl but when someone takes and breeds them to their liking and sets them as a strain they then become a different strain even if theyre just a little different but some ppl will completly rename the strain and some will simply add there own name in front of the base strain but to from what ive read Judge Leiper and Old man Hatch were breeding their fowl at the same time so they might have had so base fowl in common but they deffinatly have different traits because one man bred to one way and the other bred them the way he liked so call them what you like and some will simply accept you know what youre sayin and some will laugh to theirself and think you dont know what youre talkin about i guess it just depends on what company youre in but theres my two technical cents hope it helps

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you outlaw accept that judge leiper was one of old man hatchs people he got chickens from and fought. So many of todays strains that people are calling hatch chickens are actually what you are calling leipers. And yes I know that leiper did not like hatch.

Post Thanks / Like

After taking some time to read through older/other posts, I've come to the conclusion that there are actually Leiper Hatches. Guys like Rat Graves took the leipers and combined them with Penny Hatches (and possibly McLeans) and now we have Leiper Hatches as a set family.

This is not to be confused with Leipers as a family, or with the many different Hatch families (I don't know if anyone has plain "Hatch" lines...because mostly the hatches took off with the McLeans). So you could have a Leiper/McLean Hatch cross or you could have a Leiper Hatch as set as a family by Rat Graves, Mamie Lacson, and others.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no way a man could compare a pure hatch to a pure leiper. History as its writtin says Hatches chickens where low headed, slow and dumb cocks that could not cut a lick that possessed such power to crush the other cock with just one blow when near the point of death totally opposite of the Leiper fowl. Just because both families come green legged does not mean to confuse the the two breeds. The leipers were head back feet out type cocks that could cut with speed totally opposite of Hatches fowl. Todays so called Hatch fowl that are being showed are not even close to the fowl Hatch bred himself, heck where im from you see just as many so called Hatches showed in the longknife and they are not or I should say do not meet the description of the Hatch fowl as history has it written. Now I agree their are a lot of Leiper hatch blends being fought out their today that folks are calling Hatch, but their is also the pure leipers still being shown by a close knit group of cockers out there also that do not contain a drop of Hatch blood and trying to get them is like pulling hens teeth. They want hardly even talk to you about them must less let them go. I just wander if their is anybody out their that has any pure Hatch blood left, I mean the slow, dumb, low headed, poor cutting, type fowl that was said to carry the power to crush a cock with one lick when nearly dead, as this is how history has described the Hatch fowl.

20. Likes badhabits liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Bolan View Post
    There is no way a man could compare a pure hatch to a pure leiper. History as its writtin says Hatches chickens where low headed, slow and dumb cocks that could not cut a lick that possessed such power to crush the other cock with just one blow when near the point of death totally opposite of the Leiper fowl. Just because both families come green legged does not mean to confuse the the two breeds. The leipers were head back feet out type cocks that could cut with speed totally opposite of Hatches fowl. Todays so called Hatch fowl that are being showed are not even close to the fowl Hatch bred himself, heck where im from you see just as many so called Hatches showed in the longknife and they are not or I should say do not meet the description of the Hatch fowl as history has it written. Now I agree their are a lot of Leiper hatch blends being fought out their today that folks are calling Hatch, but their is also the pure leipers still being shown by a close knit group of cockers out there also that do not contain a drop of Hatch blood and trying to get them is like pulling hens teeth. They want hardly even talk to you about them must less let them go. I just wander if their is anybody out their that has any pure Hatch blood left, I mean the slow, dumb, low headed, poor cutting, type fowl that was said to carry the power to crush a cock with one lick when nearly dead, as this is how history has described the Hatch fowl.
    I wonder if you have some pictures to show of those pure leipers you are saying. just want to compare them to what I got from crow graves which is blue/green legged, peacomb, dark-colored plumage. thanks.

and one more thing, is there really a yellow-legged pure leiper? getting a little bit confused now.

22. Likes garyonate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've Never Seen A Yellow Legged Leiper, Not Saying There Isn't Any, I'veJust Never Seen One. Here Is My Jr. Strange Leiper.

YFIS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by banate View Post
    I wonder if you have some pictures to show of those pure leipers you are saying. just want to compare them to what I got from crow graves which is blue/green legged, peacomb, dark-colored plumage. thanks.

and one more thing, is there really a yellow-legged pure leiper? getting a little bit confused now.
    Why would you not think that with Boston Roundhead in them and whitehackle in their make up. To me that is like saying there is no yellow legged hatch.

This subject has already been covered in depth on Leipers on here.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a Bill Roberson Leiper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apache2a View Post
    After taking some time to read through older/other posts, I've come to the conclusion that there are actually Leiper Hatches. Guys like Rat Graves took the leipers and combined them with Penny Hatches (and possibly McLeans) and now we have Leiper Hatches as a set family.

This is not to be confused with Leipers as a family, or with the many different Hatch families (I don't know if anyone has plain "Hatch" lines...because mostly the hatches took off with the McLeans). So you could have a Leiper/McLean Hatch cross or you could have a Leiper Hatch as set as a family by Rat Graves, Mamie Lacson, and others.
    http://i41.tinypic.com/2yl8jm0.jpg

here's a leiper hatch

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy has the blue and green legged leipers and they are superior than the blueface or his McLean hatch but likes crossing the 3, he says the best have been crossing 1/2 blueface 1/2 McLean hen over pure Leiper cock!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't want to argue but I have seen a lot of mclean hatch that look just like the picture of chads leiper.

Post Thanks / Like

If I can find the picture I took of the mclean hatch I had a few years back got off a guy up here I will post it. It looks just like that picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Howard Suttles of Georgia had the yellow legged leipers and I read somewhere that Harlod Brown would Infuse these yellow legged leipers to his hatch fowl.

Post Thanks / Like

All this discussion does make me curious and am not sure how this will be received or maybe I am way off anyway.
    If a whitehackle crossed/blended with brown red made the hatch fowl,,,,,
    And boston rh,wh,and br were blended to create leipers......
    Why wouldn't they be somewhat similar?Not to assume that all brown reds and all whitehackles are or were the same.What do ya'll think?

Post Thanks / Like

[IMG][/IMG]
    johnny mitchell RN throwback

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thread....

I believe the story that it was Judge Leiper who bred the "hatch" fowl for E.S. Hatch. Here is an article I found on the subject. So to me it is acceptable to say "Leiper Hatch". Without one you couldn't have the other.

http://www.americancockfighter.us/gamefowl-Hatch.html