Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Leiper Hatch

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leiper Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw420 View Post
    Well to get completly technical about the whole deal old man Hatch bred the Hatch fowl and Judge Leiper bred the Leipers so some ppl might think of them as a type of Hatch but im pretty dure its because of their similarities but they are deffinatly two different bloodlines they call the blueface a blueface hatch because its derived from the hatch family and then set as a strain but there are all jinds of bloodlines that are mostly one or mostly another but they were bred by different ppl and set as a strain likes the many different kinds of greys if they didnt have the obvious grey plumage they would simply be know as Goodes or Frosts just like a Sweater may strongly resemble a YL Hatch they are different set strains and therefore known as two different bloodlines all the bloodlines are mixes of different fowl but when someone takes and breeds them to their liking and sets them as a strain they then become a different strain even if theyre just a little different but some ppl will completly rename the strain and some will simply add there own name in front of the base strain but to from what ive read Judge Leiper and Old man Hatch were breeding their fowl at the same time so they might have had so base fowl in common but they deffinatly have different traits because one man bred to one way and the other bred them the way he liked so call them what you like and some will simply accept you know what youre sayin and some will laugh to theirself and think you dont know what youre talkin about i guess it just depends on what company youre in but theres my two technical cents hope it helps
    Judge Leiper from one of the Southern States, developed the strain around 1850. People started calling them Leiper's RHs. Mr. Sanford Hatch, was not born until much later and used basically 4 bloodlines to blend his own fowl, Kearny WH, Kearny BR, Boston RHs & Thompson Mahoganies. The original Leiper fowl, ( if there is any left straight ) looks and performs like a dark RH, (Dk red w. black rings around the eyes, PC, black legs, med. high station, very smart, excellent cutter, fast, strong & very game ), great for LG heels. The original Hatch was built like an army tank, low station, strong as a mule & very game, Dumb, could not cut himself out of a wet paper bag, slow but very hard to kill. ( Masters of the SG heels )

They were 2 very different strains both in built and performance, developed in different periods of time, by different breeders. Some old timers were still calling the Leiper strain, Leiper RHs, as late as 1960's & 1970's.

yunke8888
    Last edited by Yunke8888; February 25th, 2015 at 01:23 AM.

2. Thanks franknuts, Redbeard1 thanked for this post
    Likes franknuts, El_Gavilancillo, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davin View Post
    hatch gave leiper his start and leiper handled for hatch the first hatch was a kearney brownred and kearney whitehackle cross (california,schlect hatch),and leiper came later with a boston roundhead bred into that
    WOW, please decipher this as, Judge Leiper developed his own RH strain ~ 1850, was an elderly person that passed away when Mr. Sanford Hatch was a youngster.

yunke8888
    Last edited by Yunke8888; February 25th, 2015 at 01:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davin View Post
    by George Beattie
    I doubt very much if anyone could give you an authentic history on this great breed, named Hatch. I knew Sandy Hatch pretty well, having met him innumerable times at Flaherty's Pit, both in the old days at Laurel Hill, back of Calvary cemetery by the chemical works, and at Flaherty's later location at the Queensboro at Long Island City. I also fought against him in mains and was in his and Flaherty's company in many safaris to Tom Foley's pit in Troy, NY, but I never inquired as to the make-up of his fowl and doubt if I could have received the information if I had. A story was rampant that Hatch gave John Leiper his farm at Huntington for his start in the fowl. Leiper handled in all the mains I fought against Hatch. He was supposed to have obtained his fowl from a race track official, Mars Cassidy. The fowl all came dark red in those early days and had a hard smash. Some claimed that they were low headed sulkers, for you could knock one down and in those days of N.Y. rules, where the handlers did the counting and a mistake could cost you the battle on the final count. They could uncork a smash that could so stun, cripple or kill your cock that he could easily be counted out. I do know that when Heinie took over, a couple of years after he had obtained a yard of my Morgans from Mr. Claude Hill, that a cross between them and the Hatch blood, produced what Hendrickson, Leiper, and Bon Lang as well as John Gildersleeve, termed the best fighting cocks ever shown on the Island and the addition of the Thompson Mahogany blood which also contained a shot of Morgan, as Jim fought many mains in partnership with the Col., did much to bring them to the top, eliminating to a great extent the objectionable low headedness. It was after the introduction of the Whitehackle blood that Tom Murphy became interested and the Long Island stable was formed. From World War I until 1942 I promoted tournaments in New Jersey, starting at the Old Deaf and Dum Club at Bill Raes at Morgan station when Frank Deizer of Mason Pyle fame was President and George Beattie, V.P. until gas rationing stopped us in 1942. Hatch, Leiper, George Pogmore, Al Jones, Harold Clesham, John Gildersleeve, Hendrickson and Rekar, Ted Ireland, Chas Storey, Herb Ploch, Issy Sholk, Frank Donato, Pat and Mat Ryan, Illston, Deinzer, Bill Anderson, Beloff, Knight, Burnett, Nee Shanahan, Haussman, Kromelbine, among others, fought ay my Eastern Breeders Pit where Henry Mondin one of the fairest referees called the shots. Many of the entrants of the big pits still in operation got their start in the "Club" that operated every Friday night, and the tournaments every 2nd. Saturday night held there from Jan. 1 to July 4. In all those years only one raid and that at a different location, marred the record and that was directed at a "crap game" on a supposedly off night. I'm proud of the record I made in refining the game and furnishing honest refereeing for the sport. For many years Issy Sholk was my partner in the promoting and later guided the destinies of the Anthracite Club of PA. At 80, I'm still in good health, and my Morgans are still winning their share in the hands of customers I placed them with.
    I think Mr. Beatty was referring to the famous baseball player Leiper, which was also a Game cock fancier & breeder. Judge Leiper, who developed the original Leiper's, was not around any more in the 20th century.

yunke8888
    Last edited by Yunke8888; February 25th, 2015 at 01:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hatch also had grey blood

Post Thanks / Like

received_721410298050482.jpg he's just a kid but fight he can.

7. Likes Crazy Eyes, CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by king david View Post
    my 7 months months old lieper broodstag...............................

Garry Gilliam Lieper ? Sir David

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rl123 View Post
    Garry Gilliam Lieper ? Sir David
    Very nice sir ,what pounds do yours cock out at if you dont mind me askin?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard1 View Post
    Very nice sir ,what pounds do yours cock out at if you dont mind me askin?
    Sir Nigel of King David own this GG Lieper... you can ask everything to him you can see more pitures of lieprer at his FB account Nigel King David

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irisheyes485 View Post
    received_721410298050482.jpg he's just a kid but fight he can.

From from what I can see that’s a fine looking bird right there.

Post Thanks / Like

13. Likes LaBlue, Nauvoo, spring creek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by don128 View Post
    Cross the Leipers and Whitehackles much? How were they?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nauvoo View Post
    Cross the Leipers and Whitehackles much? How were they?
    I never have tried it, but always I wondered. I've had trouble getting the size back up on my leipers. This pic is my old broodcock and he is good size. My hens and stags met their fate, and the past 4 year I been breeding him to a couple hens I purchased. The looks and style their but size dropped to unexceptable . I dont cross much, but might be exciting to see what comes out with whitehackle.

16. Likes Nauvoo, roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

bumping to get rid of the sh#t.......................................