Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone help me learn how to tie a gaff?

fullswing2004

Lightbulb Can anyone help me learn how to tie a gaff?

Iwould like to learn how to tie a gaff. I feel that as a sabungero each one of us must first learn this art of tying a gaff for our roosters. Can you please give me also a gaffer who like to teach to tie a gaff?

Post Thanks / Like
    ask around the nearby tupadahans and cockpits in your area for gaffers who are willing to teach you. choose a gaffer who is not a snob. some will teach you without expecting any in return except for your friendship and interest in the art of gaffing.

count yourself extremely lucky if you can arrange to be a gaffer's apprentice. this rigorous and almost complete hand-me-down tutelage will not only develop your gaffing skills but will also be an eye-opener on how hard a gaffer's life is

zippOnoon
    fullswing
    I did it my way.

fullswing2004
    How much is the price of a knife this days? How could i know that the knife is not properly set when i tie?

jundizonII
    nice advice. or u may do like this. on ur fight day giv it a try to tie d gaff on ur bird. if he get lost that means u need more practice.

jundizon
    in some extent. on d other hand it's discouraging. cheers bro..

fullswing2004
    Actually what i mean here is just a hint or tip in tying a gaff. We all want to learn and if anybody could share the right way of tying many fellow cockers will appreciate and thankful. In my experience, a gaffer is always blame if the cocks lost but if the cock wins he is out of the picture while the handler or breeder is the mostly praised person. Is tying a gaff the lowest rank in cock fighting team? Even in prize money I can see gaffer always received less.

Post Thanks / Like
    practice tying it on a dummy legs of a chicken or get one and cut it out and cure it or dry it so it would not smell, its better to practice on this than to directly practice on the chickens, when you already know how to tie it, let it fight with another chicken (reject) to see if it can cut or slash its enemy, the purpose of it is to see the wound it created and how fast it could effectively cut its enemy! if it takes long to kill or dispose its enemy, then it means you need more practice, more rejects to kill and more pulutan or appetizer for drinking with the teacher!:hippie:

Post Thanks / Like
    practice makes perfect daw...dapat cguro correct practice makes perfect

some people learn gaffing on their own either thru watching gaffers actually tie or in video. i know of one who did it the hard way and invented his own technique

i learned gaffing thru apprenticeship. after each tupada or cockpit session, i always collect some fresh cut off legs for me to practice on...even the deformed ones. I throw them away after 2 days.

i'll tell you this, learning the basics wont take you a week but to conquer your fear of the knife will take longer. it took me 6 months to muster enough courage to tie on the knife and that was also the time when my apprenticeship ended when I won my first fight. when you see gaffers getting nicked or badly cut while tying, you'll know what I mean about conquering your fear of the knife.

constant practice plus real life exposure in the gaffing area will boost your confidence, caution, and skill.

i believe in a fair fight and I dont pit unarmed vs armed...thus most of my early fights were in the humble tupada. look for cocks for rent and hire them. the owner of the cock will match the bird for you. most cocks for rent here in Cebu can be hired for P200-P300.

jundizon

telly

Telly i like ur phrase. though it makes me feel like dont stop gambling. hehehe. :lol:

jundizon
    not really telly i just dont stop dreaming.. dreaming keeps u going. agree?

jundizon
    hmm maybe..

jundizon
    u made me laugh bro...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can anyone help me learn how to tie a gaff?

is there anyone that has a video of how to tie a gaff ... and if any of the people in Pi or mexico can make a vid to show us young cockers i would appreciate it thank you all yfis -cali

Post Thanks / Like

on youtube.com how to tie filipino knife

Post Thanks / Like

If y'all want one in english I can post a video sometime tomorw

Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about tying on gaffs or knives??? Not that it really matters because it's not something that can be explained with mere words... you need to be shown.

Post Thanks / Like

We have here in PI Albert Margen's Knife Tying Method on video. Available for sale at some video stores. I was able to learn how to tie the knife on my roosters through this
    DVD. So far, i have been successful and I have reached Araneta and the Bakbakan finals!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the idea of not being able to heel my own birds... I've watched em tie the L/K on in the P.I... but I didn't take the time to see the set of it... seems to me, as long as the set was the same, a socket knife should do as well as a fork.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slipspur View Post
    I don't like the idea of not being able to heel my own birds... I've watched em tie the L/K on in the P.I... but I didn't take the time to see the set of it... seems to me, as long as the set was the same, a socket knife should do as well as a fork.

i agree 100%

Post Thanks / Like

slip, Im talkin about the Gaff is there a difference between tying a 2 1/2 in gaff and a postiza thanks for any info it is much appreciated and yes your right a video is the way to go so if anyone has any vids or can make one im shure myself and all the rest of us young cockers would appreciate it have a good day and god bless yfis -cali

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by californiafowl View Post
    slip, Im talkin about the Gaff is there a difference between tying a 2 1/2 in gaff and a postiza thanks for any info it is much appreciated and yes your right a video is the way to go so if anyone has any vids or can make one im shure myself and all the rest of us young cockers would appreciate it have a good day and god bless yfis -cali

Postiza well true postiza is glued on. Where gaff is tied on.

Post Thanks / Like

ok thanks umm... how exactly do you glue it on im new to the whole thing any info is greatly appreciated thanks yfis -cali

Post Thanks / Like

I seen it done once when it was Legal in LA. Honestly I do not think I could do it. Hell I was pretty drunk that weekend. Me and another buddy met up we both from Ohio damn near drank the store across road from Bayou dry back in 2005. I miss them days.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to know as well but i hear it is alot easyer to learn if shown other than told...its like trying to explain how to tie a mexican short knife, very hard to do

Post Thanks / Like

thats why i was thinking a video would be better yfis -cali

Post Thanks / Like

up up up up.............-cali

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slipspur View Post
    Tying fork is not that difficult. Harder to find some one hold your bird right that long to me. Mastering the wrap tricky too
    I do not like the idea of some one else healing my birds either. Modern socket as effective as a fork and can be tied in fraction of the time. JMO

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

He made it look easy... he sure used a bunch of string! He aimed the knife to split the vent like I was always told... gaffs aren't set that far inside.