Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help bout ALBANY bloodline

IsMoL_PaNiKi

Exclamation need help bout ALBANY bloodline

anyone knows the history of the ALBANY bloodline? any websites bout this line? thanx...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: need help bout ALBANY bloodline

This question is for the more experienced older Cockers who know more than myself. I always read up on game fowl history, and came up on some Albany info. I read things that sometimes contradict themselves. I was reading that Herman Pinnon and James Ferrell were good friends and attained their Albany blood directly from Reb W, and Reb obtained these from Roy Guire. These Albany's were pea-combed, dark hackled, and yellow legged but Something that most people don't know is that Johnny Moore originally got his Albanys from Reb Williamson. So my question would be, " Is Roy Guire Albany, the same bloodline that gives us the pea comb Albany's?" I know that the Pine Albanys and others are Straight comb due to the heavy Whitehackle infusion.
    Last edited by Perfect-Gull; June 24th, 2015 at 03:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

There is several Albany threads on this site with some history on them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect-Gull View Post
    This question is for the more experienced older Cockers who know more than myself. I always read up on game fowl history, and came up on some Albany info. I read things that sometimes contradict themselves. I was reading that Herman Pinnon and James Ferrell were good friends and attained their Albany blood directly from Reb W, and Reb obtained these from Roy Guire. These Albany's were pea-combed, dark hackled, and yellow legged but Something that most people don't know is that Johnny Moore originally got his Albanys from Reb Williamson. So my question would be, " Is Roy Guire Albany, the same bloodline that gives us the pea comb Albany's?" I know that the Pine Albanys and others are Straight comb due to the heavy Whitehackle infusion.
    I have pines and they come mostly pea comb now when I first got them they were90% straight but I've bred to the pea side for so long they are 90% pea comb now

5. Likes chester liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the silly question but if you have a family of fowl which are SC. Is it possible to get offspring that come PC ?
    Now I'm no expert but didn't think that was so.
    You can have a family of fowl which is PC 99% and on occasion will throw some SC. But didn't think it was possible the other way around
    You can breed to SC fowl which both came from PC lines but from that point forward won't the offspring be 100% SC ?

Post Thanks / Like

If they are 100% straight you won't get pea but if pea comb is bred to a straight in my experience most offspring will come pea headed this year I bred a straight comb ranger cock over pea comb grey hens and I have both straight and pea comb stags running around

8. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yard bird View Post
    If they are 100% straight you won't get pea but if pea comb is bred to a straight in my experience most offspring will come pea headed this year I bred a straight comb ranger cock over pea comb grey hens and I have both straight and pea comb stags running around
    I'm with ya on that one bud
    I was just wondering how you got a family which came predominantly sc to come predominantly PC if they are straight bred ?
    Last edited by El_Gavilancillo; June 24th, 2015 at 11:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The pea comb Lacy's that we had never threw a straight comb but some people say you will get a straight comb out of every 100 Lacy's. But never did Til the day I lost them..

Post Thanks / Like

There are, or were at one time, 2 families of Albanys. The first named Old Albanys was bred from a 1/2Hatch 1/2 Henny cock over pure Grimes RH hens(1st mating) Then pure Mahogany cock was bred to the 1/2 RH, 1/4H, 1/4 Henny hens(2nd) mating. These fowl were only average fowl and a lot of them mean. Hard hitters. The second family were the Pine Albanys. The were bred by Ed Pine, a short heel fighter. He used a keep that most cocks could not take. Extreme work and very little feed and rest. He tried the Old Albanys and wasn't pleased but liked some of their traits. He bred a Stryker WH cock over the Old Albany hens. The cock was white with black spangles.Cock also brass back and brass hackles, YL. Said to also have 1/8 Muff blood. Cecil Jones from Miss. went to NY. and got the Pines from Oconnell. He started fighting them here in the South and also the Tournaments held around the Southeast. They did well and Cecil sold some for big money and he saw money could be made so he went back to Oconnell''s and bought every yard bred chicken that resembled the Albanys and brought them here and pedaled them everywhere. The first yard(the good ones) went to Roy Turner at York, Al. Roy was a school teacher and made a few very good gaffs. Only friends could get them. Not saying Cecil didn't let some of the originals out. But the second bunch were sold to to anyone. Roy Turner passed all this info. to Carl and Billy Manning, my close friends and whom I got my Pines from. Billy got them from Roy in 1956 after Roy and Cecil split up over a dispute over a white Albany cock that won at Hot Springs. Cock was pet of Roy's that he raised from a chick and handfed. he also let him in the house. Cecil sold the cock at pitside without asking Roy.

Pines will come brassback, also red, also beautiul white and red spangled also if you breed them close will come pumpkin-gold with lots of white in wings and tail. ALWAYS the pure Pines are YELLOW leg. Occasionally few green spots on legs. Never whitelegs. I know there are WL out there but not out of the originals. Pines come both PC and ST C. Mr. Manning cautioned me to breed pc to st comb. He said breeding pc to pc they would get short, too heavy for their size and slow. I kept them for years. Only family I call dead game any day, every day, moult, sick or well.
    Last edited by RHman1026; June 24th, 2015 at 09:35 PM. Reason: spelling

12. Thanks jimmyo, Engkanto thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gavilancillo View Post
    I'm with ya on that one bud
    I was just wondering how you got a family which came predominantly sc to come predominantly PC if they are straight bred ?
    The first pea comb I had come from them I used as a brood hen and bred to the pea side from there all albany have pea comb blood in them if you breed them tight enough it will come out once it's out it's very easy to keep just my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yard bird View Post
    The first pea comb I had come from them I used as a brood hen and bred to the pea side from there all albany have pea comb blood in them if you breed them tight enough it will come out once it's out it's very easy to keep just my opinion
    So you can get PC from a SC family!!! Didn't know that was possible. Thanks you learn something new everyday. I'll keep an eye out for that in the SC families I have see how long it takes to pop up.

How many years did you breed your pines before you got a PC bud ?

Post Thanks / Like

Four years of bro sis matings

Post Thanks / Like

I've researched albany breeders and spoke to a few of them and on more then one ocasion they told me they aquired them from A.J Houston of Sugarcreek Gamefarm spoke to him and is still breeding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Candelaria805 View Post
    I've researched albany breeders and spoke to a few of them and on more then one ocasion they told me they aquired them from A.J Houston of Sugarcreek Gamefarm spoke to him and is still breeding.
    Have you asked Mr. Houston who he got the original bloodline from.

Post Thanks / Like

Any members on here have bought any Albany's from Bruce Jones?? I was wondering if anyone had any input?
    Pics are property of Mr. Jones!

19. Likes chester liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He did tell me the first time I spoke to him but I forgot all ask him again when I call him today.

Post Thanks / Like

He told me he got them from j moore in the early 80S when he wasnt selling his fowl. He also has the staight comb albany. I can give you hos number if you want PERFECT-GULL

Post Thanks / Like

I buy all my stuff from his website like leg bands Ect..... But I also have his number/email from his site. But I can't ask him questions about his fowl that violates any laws. That's why I was asking members here if they have tried his fowl where it's legal?

Post Thanks / Like

My Albany broodcock from Steve S.

Post Thanks / Like

BUMP bump BUMP please share experiences with Bruce Jones Albanys if any.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump this up. Need to know more.

Post Thanks / Like

Charley Carr pine Albany carry roundhead in them.if you want the history of the Albany go to the forum for those who need it.scroll down to the web page and click on it.it has many breeds of fowl and the history of them. Hope is helps you

Post Thanks / Like

received_721428264715352.jpgthis a straight comb Albany no peacomb in these

28. Likes KevinG, chester liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been told that the original Albanys were just Clarets stolen from Madigan and ended up in Albany NY Thus the name used to hide where they came from . When I was a kid I never saw an Albany with a pea comb and they looked like clarets. This is all hear say So Don't know.

Post Thanks / Like

https://gulod.wordpress.com/2015/10/...ecock-strains/ here is history on the alba y an a few more.i hope y'all enjoy these story's as much as I have.

31. Likes grey/dom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Y'all will know why I like so.e of the crossed I bred so much like the shaw/bowman whitehackle.or the bacon warhorse over mug.anyway I am keeping my promise to my pap and that's that.

33. Likes grey/dom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't think it was possible to get a peacomb from s.c x s.c

35. Likes KevinG, El_Gavilancillo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Naturaljack7 View Post
    I didn't think it was possible to get a peacomb from s.c x s.c
    If they have pea comb blood in them then yes it is possible

Post Thanks / Like

My new albany bc. From cali grey.

IMG_3504.jpg

38. Likes Genis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

10 month old Straight Comb GJ Albany hen, Chocolate. Solid line.

Last edited by KevinG; March 12th, 2018 at 03:35 PM.

40. Likes roostercm, spring creek liked this post