Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Well-balanced Diet

tatodupaya

Cheap Well-balanced Diet

With the high cost of feed maintenance for both fighting cocks/stags and breeders, will somebody please share your own concoction of a cheap but well-balanced feed formulas. I'm not keen on scrimping on booster and growing mashes though so I would stick to known commercial feeds. I guess conditioning feeds are all-too-important to also scrimp on. I know what you'll share will also benefit a lot of other hobbyists here. Thanks a lot guys.

Post Thanks / Like

yard maintenance feed

why dont you try this, progressive 40 kilo bag of grains, cost about 560php and progressive 50 kilo BS crumble at 720php at 50/50 feeding ratio add 18% dog food. but this is just for yard maintenance.. i hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like
    if backyard: i prefer a quality feed for my stags and cocks ...

tatodupaya
    Thanks. I didn't know dog food can be used. Yes, it's just backyard but after sometime, it becomes a strain on the budget. No regrets though.

Post Thanks / Like

yard feed

we use dog food its a good source of protein. use 18 % of these to your yard feed it will put on large round bodies to your birds, you can also use calf manna but its a bit expensive than cheaper brands of dog food, try to get the ones that are small in size or you can grind it. so it would be easy for your birds to pick it up. again i hope this helps!

tatodupaya
    It sure do cherokee. Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I have tried other well known commercial brands and settled for what I think is reasonably economical and better. I used vitarich maintenance stabilizer pellets, 25 bucks and jockey oats. A ratio of 60-40 oats or 60-40 pellets. I tried to use selected good grains but most of them I understand came from China and it don't seem to do any better. Unlike in the 70's I have well rounded fowls using just soaked grains. If ever I want to increase the protein I just add vitarich conditioner pellets 32 php.I found successor, t-bird breeder pellets a better choice compared to other maintenance feed but expensive. OK, I used this on asil grades, what I have noticed better was the meat and bone development. That's where the feed goes, unlike other feeds, you just see them pass it through their vent.

Feeds greatly affect performance (speed, power, mobility) and body development (substance, shape, size).

I read on other threads, others are using cheaper pullet developer, pigeon pellets b-meg, duck pellets b-meg and hog starter mash b-meg. You can't cheat on hogs on what they eat as they will not eat, so they must be good. Maybe I was overdoing the duck pellets when I saw one stag walking like a duck? They are always hungry on the pigeon pellets, it's easily digested, maybe others have done better...............................

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info don, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try B-meg fighting cock pellets.It has a 24% CP level for 21.50 pesos.You can mix it with regular concentrate 12% to 14% CP level in a ratio of 2:1 and still get about 16% CP level or higher.That's enough for maintenance to avoid building gut fats.

Jennifer

Mine is very cheap

i buy lots of corn and wheat strait from the mill.then I go buy generic laying mash.I feed them the corn and wheat then especially in the molt I give them laying mash with it.I provide dogfood and generic of rooster booster during the molt also.It makes feathers come out so good.I give them the exess fruit from pear tree plum tree and grape vine.Grapes make them FAT if you give them a lot though

Post Thanks / Like

What is? for Don B

What is 25 bucks? Is this kind of expression or is there such a thing? I know stabilizer pellets and What kind of oats are we talking about here so I could try. Feeds are very expensive nowadays and if it is just passing through my fowls guts, then I am just working for nothing. Thanks for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like
    So sorry, i missed the jockey oats thing. Got you there. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

25 Bucks

Yes 25 Bucks is an exspression. Where I live in the Mid south its called Country Slang, or Country talk. you know we say Mater instead of tomatoe, And Tater instead of Potatoe, Pillar instead of Pillow & etc The List goes on forever.

25 Bucks, is 25 Buck skins. Back before people had a lot of currency (Money) They exchanged items of worth. I don't know the value of a male whitetail deers pelt a.k.a. (BUCKSKIN) but they were traded for flower sugar and other much needed items.
    So to answer your concern 25 Bucks is $25.00 usa Dollars.

Post Thanks / Like

LARRY THE CABLE GUY DOES IT BEST

Check out Larry the cable Guys new movie THE HEALTH INSPECTOR. Its Funnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

kamanukan
    can anybody please help me in computing the c.p. in this feed mixture?

pigeon pellet - 2 kg.
    reg. concentrate - 2 kg.
    cracked corn - 1 kg.

i give them 2.5 to 3 tablespoon per head morning and afternoon and i am satisfied with their body. this is for my maintenance feed. am i doing it right?

aterr21
    It does NOT matter cheap in this SPORT u want the best and all the BEST cheap DOES NOT COUNT in this SPORT ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????THINK ABOUT IT

Post Thanks / Like

CP level

2 parts pigeon pellets=16%
    2 parts concentrate=14%
    1 part corn=8%

16+14=30, 30/2=15% CP level for pigeon pellets and concentrate 50:50 ratio
    then you add 1part corn to 4 parts of pigeon pellets/concentrate combination--8%+15+15+15+15=68, 68/5=13.6% is your total CP level.that's way too low my friend.try to get warhawk pigeon pellets.it has 18% cp level and mix it with regular concentrate 14% cp level so you'll get about 16%cp level.

kamanukan
    lanipao,

thanks 'pren. now i know how to adjust my feeding.

keep on posting.....:rbounce:

tatodupaya
    Me too. Thanks everybody.

Post Thanks / Like

LEMON-EDZ

SIR LANIPAO HELP ME ALSO FOR CP LEVEL

THIS FOR MY 7 STAGS:

2 KL OF STAG DEVELOPER PELLETS
    1 KL OF HIGH PROTIEN PELETS
    2 KL OF READY MIXED GRAINS

IM JUST A BEGINNER.. TNX
    ANY SUGGESTION IS HIGHLY WELCOME

Post Thanks / Like
    i used power mix for maintenance....

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

if you are looking for a cheap and well-balanced diet as your title implied, you should be more open-minded..

i don't think you will find cheap on commercial branded feeds..

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what I do... It is cheap but I think the chickens get great benefits.

Try soaking ordinary concentrate (17 Pesos per kilo) in a clay pot then add dextrose powder (1/2 tsp). Cover the clay pot with cloth then place a rubber band so that the cloth wont fall off. Leave for 1 day in the garden or outside of the house. After a day, the grains will smell like pickles. Remove the water, then add a little bit of honey. Chicken grow well on these in my experience. The grains I think has the lactobacilli similar to Yakult (hope i spelled it correctly) so it should be good for their digestion. You add a small amount of breeder pellets for the other nutrients. (4 parts wet concentrate/ 1 part breeder pellets)

A very cheap water vitamin is Score vitamins. (Php 300) I just use the end part of the spoon handle (not the spoon head) and place it in one liter of water. Cover and leave it for an hour. It wont spoil since it is not exposed to the air. My bottle of Score vitamins is not even 1/10 used for 20 heads for the past 2 months. You can see its efficacy since the chickens heads are really red even when you use very little score vitamins. Hope these works for you guys/gals out there.

k meleon
    very nice honeyroyce. I think the grains sprout or germinate, that is why they are very good for digestion.

score v is very good but I find it expensive. I use teravite and b-22 powder instead

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks K meleon,

TJT (Dr Teddy) also mentioned that the protein content is doubled (?) when it is germinated. So that protein content is not only easily absorbed... but doubled too.

Post Thanks / Like
    honeyr,
    One thing I like about sprouts is also the enzymes. Some will extract protein or whatever minerals and give it to you pelletized, capsulized or in powdered, liquid form as an additive. I like it better when they eat the real thing like, table scrap fish, sprouted grains, fruits and vegetables. It makes the internal organs work better. Maybe they improve the digestive system in a way they have better hearts and bigger gizzards.

Port Talbot, West Glamorgan, South Wales/San Vicente, Camarines Norte
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice post HoneyR but I have a question though. The 1/2 tsp Dextrose powder, is it for only 1 kilo concentrate?