Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Duke Hulsey Lines

Post Thanks / Like

The Duke Hulsey Lines

Guys I had noticed after reading so many post about different bloodlines.The Hulsey's didnt gain so much popularity compared to others like the Sweaters or I just missed the topic about the Hulseys.

Is this line still wiining?Ive happen to stumble to a post that their are so many lines about the Hulseys.I am not sure if guys maintaining the cant really trace the early descendants of the hulseys.I think thats because in early days if you happen to Nick a breed people will keep it as a secret formula to deprive others in perpetuating it.Giving false information thats why there as so many misconception about bloodlines to name a few.

Guys could you share light about this line.?Your contribution is very much appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Cocking,

Mozart

alex_g

duke hulsey lines

one write up from the duke himself (Grit and Steel 1969) says that they are out of the 2 chocolate hens from Madigin and Law. They were clarets out of a white Hanky Dean cock and bigfoot family(claret) hen of Madigin. These two hens later went to Perry and Cooke. He wouldn't say what he bred them to out of respect to Law and Madigin (Hulsey walked, feed and handled chickens for Madigin). Some people referred them as the Thousand dollar Hens.

As most of us know the hulsey lemons are blueface hatch, butcher and claret in breeding make up.

Post Thanks / Like

well....

all the lemon line that you have read are hulsey in origin...most of the battlefowl now in the PI contain Hulsey blood...

Post Thanks / Like

that's a fact....

3 Oaks
    Guys,

whatever hulsey's we have today, are hulsey's in name only. For sure, every tom, dick and harry that got them have infused a little of this blood and that blood over the years just to perpetuate them. Hence, it is highly probable that the genetic makeup of the hulseys today are no longer exactly the same that it used to be years back. Hence, it is hulsey by the name only.

this is my own thought. CHeers!

RARAVEZ

Smile HULSEY

Mang Serge Capistrano has an authentic HULSEY cock.

Post Thanks / Like

Hulsey

Guys,

Thanks for all the contributions.I now I learned why some breeders dont talk much about Hulsey lines.Since its not very sure if you still have the same make up like it was introduced here in P.I.
    Considering the attitude way back most cockers dont share ideas and not very open about the history of his cock especially if it NICK.You can only hear all the lies coming out to his mouth.To me is a kind of selfish attitude.
    I am glad today most of us are already educated enough to share ideas about breeding.No wonder in old days backyard breeder always fail since they acquired to a selfish breeder a cock that came out from a broiler to a Native cock at a exobirant price.What a shame.Bato-bato sa langit ang tamaan wag sanang magalit.Well if you compare today look whos winning in World Slasher recently concluded the Boys can compete already with the Men.

Regards,

Mozart

stngarm

Cool Hulseys

The man called the "Duke" was a well off individual. I am sure that he could afford and did afford most anything he wanted. As far as the exact breeding of the Hulseys, I couldn't say. Like all cockfighters, Duke Hulsey bred was would win.
    Wayne

Soliven
    I had a friend, shared me one thing about hulsey Line, He said Eddie De La Torre had...

Do you guys know about Eddie De La Torre's fowl and his winning time?

3 Oaks
    Duke Hulsey is more of a cocker (peddler) than a breeder. He used to get cocks from mickey massa and bubba rollins and claims them as his own. i was able to talk personally to the guys when i happen to be in jefferson parish in LA in Sept 2000.

Post Thanks / Like

DUKE HULSEY PEDDLER?

IS THIS A FACT 3 OAKS?MOST PEOPLE IDOLIZED HIM AS A GREAT BREEDER/COCKER THE SAME TIME.

MOZART

Bayani
    HULSEY strain in Phil.,
    Are the lemons that still exist today. This strain is considered the "all the works Gamecock" the only problem with this strain is the heavily inbred once are short compared with the rest ,but many known breeders having this strains have there own story regarding their lemons(to what they infuse and/or way of breeding to mentain one of the best strains). Still the style and gameness never fades. These strain is hard to beat.

LEMON PA RIN.
    :sprcool:

3 Oaks
    mozart,

yap. straight from the horses' mouth. the guys have many tropies won with the Duke, going as far as Mexico. they also got pictures with the Duke.

they got proof to show their association with the duke. I don't know if its true. but thats what the guys told me.

by the way, it was from bubba rollins where loyce deruen got his kelsos. he let me read the letter of the deruen family who were profused in their thanks to bubba for letting loyce have his kelso line.

Post Thanks / Like

The Duke

Thats quite interisting 3 OAKS since most people popularized the men even if he himself is just collecting good cocks from other experienced good breeder.

Well thats the credit of having a big mouth compared to sound breeder employing a low profile mode.

Mozart

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Duke Hulsey Line

They are still winning for me..

I got mine from locals and from an american breeder who had access from the late Duke...

maning

Post Thanks / Like

Bacolod Lemons

The Duke Hulsey Reds of Bacolod better known for their hackle color of "Lemon" is essentially the best bred fowl for the Filipino longknife fighting. In the PI we simply call them Lemons no longer associated with the Duke as it was the local Bacolod breeders that made it what they are right now a Legend! The likes of Paeng Araneta, Juancho Aguirre, Tony Trebol, Nonoy Jalandoni and Bob Cuenca have become names we've grown to respect and admire for their contributions in propagating a breed distinctly Filipino.

Whether it is true or not that the Duke was simply a cockfighter or a chicken-peddler we owe him alot for giving Paeng Araneta his Lemon 84, sharing his best cocks and cocking knowledge to Nene Araneta and to the La Carlota group. For simply visiting the Philippines to be in the big money fights in the 60's and 70's we should be thankful. He made it possible for the Pinoys to have their own identity in cockfighting thru the locally bred Duke Hulsey Reds better known as Lemons.

Post Thanks / Like
    doc teddy tanchanco has some of the original lemon 84 from mr. paeng araneta. he was the farm vet many years ago...

Lord, I know my enemies protect me from my friends...

Post Thanks / Like
    whatever the genetic make up of the hulsey now, it would still be a hulsey. i would call it evolutuion. just like the evolution of homosapien. would everyone knows how was a man look like thousands of years ago?

just a thought...

Desert Dust

I DON'T KNOW!!!

BECAUSE I BELIEVED IN GOD. NOT ON EVOLUTION OF MANKIND.

Charles Alonzo
    AMEN!!!

Post Thanks / Like

already a history???

Guys,

Does these poeple like B.Cuenca,J.Jaladoni etc.still have abled to perpetuate these lines fo all these years?Or even still using this line on big time circuits?To be honest I havent seen the real stuff of this line.How this breed fight.They said that they are quite slow but its cutting accuracy and timing its outstanding.Is this true?

Mozart

Post Thanks / Like

Bacolod Lemons

Mozart,

the La Carlota group fights in the big leagues. Mayor Juancho is the only active person to commercialize. Mostly Mayor JA's fowl are used by somebody else's- bought from him. Lance dela Torre's Lemon is from Mayor JA - the Lemon Guapo. Lancey's bird was used one time by Patrick Antonio and was the first to score 8-0 in World Slasher history. Twice has the Cagayan Valley group won the Bakbakan stag derby and the Lemon they used is from Mayor Juancho. Tony Trebol's cocks were used at one time by the group of Ruel Ricafort using the entry name PTK Yucatan which as well won a World Slasher title.

Get a copy of Pit Games VII or email Sugboslashers Rey Bajenting for more info on the Lemons as he was the one who wrote the article for ********.

Post Thanks / Like

Hulsey Red a.k.a lemons

Guys,

Thanks for the info.Its really a good idea to ask something which you dont know otherwise you are left behind.So the Hulsey Reds are basically Lemons.Are they realted with the L84 of Araneta?Please enlighten me guys.

Oakgrove,do you have an email add of Rey Bajenteng?
    Last edited by mozart; July 1st, 2008 at 08:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

hulsey greys

we had great success w/them especially when cross w/our doc robinson hatch. hulsey grey are single strokers but extremely acurate cutters . these were our winning line , too bad we could maintain them.

bigcorona
    Base on the story of the lemon 84 there are three families which composed of Claret, Butcher, Hatch. Now my question is how many percent of each family. thank you in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mozart,

Rey Bajenting's handle is rbsugbo. try to look for the thread on Lemons. He did share his knowledge on the subject rather profusely. PM him he's a good man!

best,

oak man

Post Thanks / Like
    the brother of JGA, Mark Aguirre got good lemons as well...
    what i've heard was that he breed them by himself and not to the hands & knowledge of farm helpers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark Aguirre is nephew of the great Mayor. Apart from him Noel Debulgado has solid Lemon Guapo lines. The Mayor's Lemons has stood the test of time. It has dominated sabong in the 70's and 80's and is still winning now. It is considered modernized. Good smarts, fast to the draw, outstanding break- hits diagonally from the break until it reaches the ground and cutting is phenominal!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Just stay away from his BLUES

maning

Post Thanks / Like
    however which way, the DUKE's LEMONs have the stuff that legends are made of. his strain, which are the LEMONS have made a name for themselves here in the Philippines. i don't think even the sweater has reached the stature of the LEMONS. they are real good cutting chickens and have continously won for the past so many years...and they even continue to WIN up to this day. they have put a lot of breeders on the map of the cocking world.