Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breeding and Fighting Spanish Fowls

Post Thanks / Like

Breeding and Fighting Spanish Fowls

Cockmates,

Can you please share with us your experiences in breeding and raising Spanish fowl for the long knife. I read somewhere that they are very game, deadly accurate, really fast, powerful for their size and are very hardy birds. I understand also that most of them are fought in postiza fighting or natural heel . Are they game for the Long knife?

Those who breed and fight Cubans, can you also please share your experiences?

Thanks for any input.

Kan Toh-Tan
    you know what sir, i am also intrigued about this type of fowl, some say they are slightly smaller than an american type gamefowl, and i think they call it 'ingles' for english i would suppose. but then again i also see some that are tall like malays/asil types, then i see the the crosses with american type.

my other intrigue is, somebody in the Philippines, not in recent memory or times would have had or bred this type in the past, before the 'Texas' entered in the market. but we do not seem to have any documentation whatsoever.

anyway my personal opinion is "tie the knife" and find out! I am sure a well bred spanish type fowl is game enough to take the knife in!

paquito56

fighting style

Hola Amigos,
    The problem in fighting Spanish Fowl in LK could be that they prefer the toe to toe fighting style and head hunting as primary target. The American fowl would be much more faster and superior in the LK coz of his fighting style, that is, breaking high and the shuffling for some. Spanish fowl(the good ones) are game to dead and they are really strong for their size. Is why in order to fight them in LK, is advisable IMHO to cross them with some American fowl to look for a bigger weight and size and some LK fighting traits. In Puerto Rico and Latin America, they have been crossing them with Shamos and etc, to get the bigger body, strenght( Inmune system), and let me tell you, they can fight. For example in Peru, they have good crosses that are pretty fast and with shuffling qualities..Gracias

Post Thanks / Like
    Cockmates Kan Toh-Tan, paquito56... Thanks for your input. Probably, crossing them with Japs might also work.

Thanks a lot!

PS. Kan, I like your handle name

roxas2729

spanish fowl

good day Sir, my friend are fighting with spanish fowl like black mallorca, but he cross it with american fowl and he did not fight it pure, and the result is awesome , the mallorca fighting style is no bill hold

El Espaņol

We have them in the Philippines....

We have Cubans, Jerezanos, some other Cubans.......and some "generic" Spanish fowl too. We have shown some of our Cuban Blues straight with great success. We are in the process of breeding the Jerezanos with American fowl and grading them with Asils now too.

I think they can compete in the LK. They are super game and known for their accurate punching and cutting abilities. I believe you have to be highly critical of them though and only breed the ones that show good traits for the LK style fighting.

I have been around them all my life and I really love the Jerezanos.

Time will tell!!!

Regards,

archangel
    We heard it right from the Spaniard himself...

Regards Jon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jon,

Thank you Sir for those valuable info.

I'm glad I have found somebody who actually breeds Spanish fowls. If you don't mind my asking, in what stage are you now with your Spanish x Asil experiment? Can you please share with us the result of this cross?

Goodluck on your breeding.

Muchos Gracias Senor.

El Espaņol
    Well, this is the first year that we have been crossing them there in the PI to be honest although the cross is a known winner and proven many thousands of times over for naked heel. The offspring will then be graded to 1/4 asil, 1/4 Jerezano and more than likely 1/2 GLH. We are years away from having viable fowl for show because we are also firm believers in showing fowl that are a full 2 years old in derby competitions. We do have some very nice looking 1/2 Jerezano x 1/2 Clem Roundhead stags this year tho.......looking forward to showing them around December or January of the 2007/8 season. Maybe show some of them in stag derbies this year too! I hope! Just have to wait and see which stags can make the tough selection process.

Regards,

Post Thanks / Like
    roxas2729,

I've never seen how Spanish fowls fight but based on what I read, they cut without billhold and they are very accurate and seldom miss their target. And this is using 1" aluminum postiza!! Imagine what will happen if you put a 2-3/4" knife on these birds. Cross them with Asils to add size, power and intelligence and the result my bring you more W's. JMHO.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again, Jon.

Goodluck.

Post Thanks / Like

sir jon

aside from you sir,, who are the breeders, who breed spanish bird here in the phil.??

El Espaņol

Not Really Too Sure.....

I am not really too sure, but I know that Tiny Meneses has been rumoured to have messed around with some Cubans and Jerezanos.....and there was this book that I picked up at National Book Store around 4 years ago that was OLD and had probably been on the shelf for ten years. Anyway, it was something about "GAMEFOWL BREEDERS OF LUZON" or something. I am sure someone has seen it. There was a story of a Spanish Jai-Alai player that made the PI his home and imported a bunch of Jerezanos. I can't remember his name and I no longer have that book. I do know of a few guys that have Mallorcans down in Cebu I think.

Whomever posted it earlier, yes, in Spain the fighting cocks are commonly refered to as "Gallos Ingleses" (English Chickens). Maybe because they haven't changed for so long? Who knows? They are Bankivas and were thought to have been brought to Spain by the Phoeniciens a long time ago. Sometimes they come rose combed but mostly they are straight combed. They usually weigh in around (Jerezanos) 1.6 to 1.8 with some coming in around 2.0 as a shake. Cubans are a little larger and usually weigh around 2.0 from my experience at least. They still fight them naked heel in Spain and usually a rooster will run after taking a couple of eye shots or being badly beaten but I have seen (and owned) many that can kill with one punch with only the naked heel too. Thats about it.

Regards,

greenlegs
    the spanish bloods from puerto rico are really game, it is against the law to fight the knife, blues spangles whites friend of mine raises them he says you can pet one for an hour everyday feed him hamburger meat, bread, read him the paper set him down and he is just as wild as when you picked him up, they are crazy but he swares the guy he got them from whips everbody in every weapon when he crosses them with his secret asil

Post Thanks / Like
    nice Bro Espanol give us info in 1/4asil 1/4spanish 1/2 american . I'm interested with such combo, like the Article I've read in Grit N steel magazine
    The formula is to breed Asil to American fowl and breed spanish to american. Then get the best and breed asil/american cock TO spanish/american hen and Vise versa this way you will get 2 line of 1/4asil 1/4spanish 1/2american then set them into strain of fowl.

Post Thanks / Like

sir jon thanks sa information..

dynamite..your information is very interesting too... thanks

memphis
    Anybody knows any thing about the White Cuban?
    I've heard that they are good fowls before in long knife but they seem lost already.

I have a friend that bought eggs with this fowl and ended with a single cock, he now breed them with his lemon and some bunch of hens.
    Now come the stags, they hit hard and seems to come in often but have excelent timing and speed. I once spar my roundhead cock, the White Cubans usually could break good but they could easily adjust in any fighting style.

My question

What are there general characteristics?
    Comb?
    Legs?
    Station?
    Are they good cutters and game chikens?

Maybe someone could help.........................Thanks!

clickfish
    the Boles asils were hard to beat, they had a drop of spanish blood. mybe that made the difference when breeding just Orientals, no spanish blood

El Espaņol
    Memphis,
    I don't claim to be the leading authority on Spanish fowl, I am far from it, but I can maybe help answer some of your questions.

What are there general characteristics?

Medium to tall stationed Bankiva fowl. Slightly larger than the Jerezanos. They weigh around 2.0 kilos average. Some smaller, some larger. The Spanish never really bred fowl for color, just for abilities. Of course some guys prefered different colors and I am sure that my general statement about them not breeding for color doesn't apply for them all....but in general, they didn't really do that. They are good breakers and generally very smart in the pit and use side steps to avoid the opposition.

Comb?

Mostly straight combed but some will come rose combed.

Legs?

Mostly yellow legged, but you will find some whites in there too.

Station?

Medium to high.

Are they good cutters and game chickens?

They are known for their cutting abilities and gameness. Their principle traits.

Clickfish, Huh? Boles used a dash of Spanish blood but it is better if you breed your Orientals without the Spanish blood? I don't understand man. You would be suprised to find out that MOST modern American gamefowl have some Spanish blood and some Whitehackle blood in them. Most, if not ALL.

Post Thanks / Like
    they have a smaller body type but they are fast and accurate and i bet if you crossed them into a good LK line lets say Sweater you could get some good birds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sir El Espaņol,

Are the White Cubans throws a green leg and pea comb?

Are they any good for long knife or are they best for it?

I like spanish fowl too, just dont know much about them.

El Espaņol
    Jojo,

It could be.........I honestly can't remember the name. Sorry!

Yellow Hatch,
    I have never seen a straight bred Cuban with green legs sir. They mostly come yellow legged with some white legs every so often too. The Cuban Blues that I have throw some white legged. I show the Cubans pure in the LK and we have had good success so far. Not too many, but they have all won. They tend to get hit often though because of their style. Never had one get shy after being hit either.

Regards,

Post Thanks / Like
    Sir El Espaņol,

Thanks for sharing info.
    I have a friend that have them but can't tell if its pure since they bought it as eggs.
    But the produce of this white Cuban cross are excellent.
    They do side step allot and could play tempo of thier opponent. But one thing I notice is that some stags are hot tempered, cant hold them.

1.Is this one characteristics they have?
    Or is it from the cross? ( by the way,the mother of this stags are lemons and kelsos )

2. Are White Cubans share the same ancestry as the pyle?

Hope I'm not much of a burden.

Post Thanks / Like
    El Espanol, i know that the Spanish birds are smaller in body and have a different stlye of fighting well i have a question, yes they have a diffferent style but like what is there style? And do you know of a good site where i could look at some pics of some good Spanish birds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sir El Espaņol,

Maybe you could share photos of your spanish fowls. So as we could identify one. Thanks!

El Espaņol
    Most Spanish fowl are stand up fighters. When I say stand up fighters, I mean that they come in tight to each other after the first couple of breaks and stand toe to toe, chest to chest and simply beat the hell out each other, exchanging blows to the head, neck and chest until one turns or is blinded. That is how they fight in naked heel.

Through selective selection and crossbreeding we have been able to find Spanish fowl and develop them more for the long knife style of fighting. Our Spanish now are high breakers and multiple shufflers.

They are accurate punchers and cut deep and true.

Regards,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    the spanish pelotari mr sabin is referring to was oyarzabal, popularly known as 'oya'. i also read in one of the philippine made gamefowl journals of old that 'oya' was indeed a dedicated gamefowl enthusiast as well as a very famous pelotari during his time in the '70s. his nemesis during that time was 'manu', also a very talented spanish pelotari who was involved in a jai alai game-fixing scandal of sorts.

El Espaņol

Thats it!

Thanks..........that name rings a bell. Of course he is Basque. Most Jai Alai players are Basques. (Vascos)

I don't know what I did with that magazine. It was old when I bought it! He claimed to be showing pure imported Jerezanos back in the 70's or 80's. I found it interesting but I never could find out if he did any good with them or not.

Regards,

Post Thanks / Like
    El Espanol, that fowl is mean lookin bro, do you fight them pure in naked heel at all or jsut crossed for the LK?

El Espaņol
    That is a straight bred Cuban Blue and we show them pure and crossed in the slasher knife. Good results!

Regards,