Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass Teepee

Post Thanks / Like

Fiberglass Teepee

Fiberglass teepee:

With my continuous search to improve my small hobby farm facilities, fiberglass teepees came into my mind. Few characteristics of fiberglass material that attracts me are: very durable, light weight, maintenance free, non-roasting and most of all classy.

Compared to concrete teepees, it is a little bit expensive but the benefit will be overwhelming. During the summer months, when your cord area is directly hit by the sunlight, tendencies are that some of your corded cocks will become deaf. Not mentioning the hassle of regular cleaning of the green moss/algae that stick in your concrete teepees or the hassle moving the heavy stuff during grass lawnmowering.

Brilliant comments please!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thnx for the comment Jo:

Fiberglass is very health friendly not like asbestos. Most if not all racing boats here in Auckland are made of either fiberglass or carbon fiber.

The plastic like materials too in Manila's MRT/LRT are fiberglass. Most advance kithchen cabinet doors are made of fibergalss coz its maintenace free. It is also ultra violet resistant.

Post Thanks / Like

Rolei..

Let us know the expense you will encounter, possibly how much each of the teepee will cost you...

Post Thanks / Like
    Using prices of raw materials here in Auckland a 4ft x 2 ft teepee will only cost about P180. Perhaps, in Manila where most fiberglass raisins are locally manufacrured it would come cheaper. So when you add labor & transport cost perhaps P250 most likely.

But if you buy materials by bulk perhaps per teepee will cost between P150-200. Not bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any pics of the finished product? Kindly post them...

Post Thanks / Like
    Bai Sting:
    It is still an engineer's wild idea. If I have time, i will draw the blueprint and post it here.

I will be going home in a few weeks and source out raw materials in Manila. One of my problem will be transporting the chemicals in Negros where I am based, because some components are potential explosives.Or, my option will be to fabricate the products somewhere in Manila. What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    rolie...cebu is the place to source this materials i know it's a lot cheaper there...

k meleon
    at 150-250, it's cheap considering the price of a good scratpen

Post Thanks / Like

Comparison

Presently in my small farm, we are using 1.5 inches thick concrete and wooden teepees. Concrete teepees are being used under a coconut trees while the fancy wooden-made are being used in deserted areas to avoid deafness and in area near our farm house for easy mowering.

My 3.5ft x 2ft painted-green wooden teepees are made of germilena (paper tree) which are abundant in our place. Each teepee custom-built by a carpenter cost me P220 in 2004 including painting and delivery.

Few years back, my grandpa used concrete boards on a wooden frame but it didnít last long.

From here, you can compare fiberglass, wooden & concrete. Anyway, teepee is not a factor to winning, but for a fancier like me, it is something for a heartís delight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bai kogs,
    thnx, that would be great if available in Cebu.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Idea sir Rolei...let us know when fabrication will start and show us a sample.

Post Thanks / Like
    wooden tepee cost me 125.00 each gypsum is 250.00 and also
    cement.

Post Thanks / Like

Design Overview

The base of the teepee must have a hole in each corner for easy fastening using wooden, steel or bamboo peg. And edges must be curve to look fancy and spotless.

For materials, I am planning to use composite raisin & white sand to add a little weight, and the resulting smooth surface will look like marble. Any color is available but perhaps green with yellow number looks lovely.

Suggestions guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    what about the weight factor? won't it be shaky and unstable since fiberglass is a lightweight material? unlike concrete teepees which stand firmly on the ground because of its sheer weight, teepees made of lightweight materials tend to be shaky unless anchored firmly on the ground.

my neighbor once had teepees made out of a combination of bamboo and wood. then one day a supertyphoon came along and blew all his teepees and scattered it all around his yard. its good that most of his roosters were safely cooped in their respective cages.

just wondering what would be the thickness of these fiberglass teepees and its weight compared to teepees made of wood, bamboo or used tires?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you to all the private messages (PM) about my fiberglass teepee.

I didnít expect that in a short period of posting my thread, loads have been enquiring about bulk pricing and orders locally and abroad. Three gentlemen even wanted to exclusively market the product and few more gentlemen in the US wanted the product in bulk. How much more if our fancier ilonggo breeder friends know the idea, it will sell like pancake.

Somehow, I canít change my life from an ordinary engineer in Auckland to a manufacturer/businessman in Manila. Perhaps, I can help find a fiberglass maker in Manila for a reasonable price with my design or give everybody idea on how to do fiberglass.

Thank you again guys for the confident. rolei2nz@yahoo.co.nz cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cocker122
    Please read the design, it says: the base must have hole in its corner for hastening in the ground using peg of your choice. Do you think simple typhoon can move them?

Post Thanks / Like

A good idea.

Please keep us posted if you've found sources for the raw materials. LIkewise once you've finished with the design.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Good idea, you can easily move them around and rearrange them. In times that you don't need them, you ca just fold them and put them aside. But though it maybe a UV rays resistant, do you think it's gonna be cooler than the 1.5" concrete under the sun? We currently use such concrete teepees and feels cooler than the wood. And we do not remove the moss from it because it makes it more cooler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fiberglass is UV resistant as long as all materials use are design for that purpose like color dye.

Also, it must be cooler than concrete because fiberglass won't absorb heat rather reflect, unlike concrete and wood which absorbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Hopefully it will be available sooner.

Oh yeah! That would be a good ROOFING material too right???

Post Thanks / Like

rolei

so sorry about that mate! didn't read your post prior to mine coz its two minutes apart. anyway, no worries...

you have a good thing going there. keep it up.

Post Thanks / Like

fiberglass....

We can source raw materials anywhere in the Phils.
    Raw material of this kind is looks like a cotton.
    The process would be very easy. It's just like melting
    candles and pour into mould to whatever form you wish.

If we wanted to make teepees out it, we still need
    to reinforce with steel bars, just like concrete but
    maybe lesser steel reinforcements. Designs will do the
    trick.

Yes we can make it as UV protected but summing up the
    material cost of one fiberglass teepee may would double the
    price compare of those concrete teepee's.

Need to fabricate one to find out the most economical way of
    doing it.

yfis,

Post Thanks / Like

Fiberglass 101

Sorry Speakeasy:

Raw materials of fiberglass is not cotton-like as you have said but all liquids. It is just a product of chemical reaction of two different liquid chemicals thats why you need molds.

The basic ingredient of a fiberglass is a liquid raisin and a liquid hardener. For reinforcement to need to use fiber matting or abaca fiber is applicable too.

Handling of fiberglass raw materials need extra care because it is highly explosive.

For molds: silicon, plastic, wooden, concrete, fiberglass, stainless steel are common.

Post Thanks / Like
    .....anyone tried ricehull and cement? must be a lightweight

sampaloc manila/ infanta quezon/ cerritos & buena park, california usa
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice ideas keep them coming . . .

at present cement t-pees are the most economical
    and durable if made at the right design (imo)

but thru value engineering and redesign by our
    fellow cockmates here who knows a new design
    that will emerge and surpass the cement t-pees

Post Thanks / Like
    maybe you could take a look at versaboards being offered by COFTA (http://www.cofta.com.ph)

sampaloc manila/ infanta quezon/ cerritos & buena park, california usa
    Post Thanks / Like
    sugbo
    nice info. cofta is use to be the main competitor in plastic
    furnitures of one of the company i worked with. they have
    diversified and grown

maybe that is a good substitute anybody have tried it yet

Post Thanks / Like

just a matter of discussion, nothing else...

Rolei,

Thanks for that.
    Yes, maybe i've just used a wrong term "cotton like" which
    is supposed to be fiberglass or fibreglass....

Sorry mate, you only referred to polymer + hardener
    as "Fiberglass"....

Please find below to satisfy the term "FIBERGLASS"....

Fiberglass or fibreglass is material made from extremely fine fibers of glass. It is used as a reinforcing agent for many polymer products; the resulting composite material, properly known as fiber-reinforced polymers (FRP), is called "fiberglass" in popular usage.

Glassmakers throughout history have experimented with glass fibers, but mass manufacture of fiberglass was only made possible with the advent of finer machine-tooling. In 1893, Edward Drummond Libbey exhibited a dress at the World's Columbian Exposition incorporating glass fibers with the diameter and texture of silk fibers. What is commonly known as "fiberglass" today, however, was invented in 1938 by Russell Games Slayter of Owens-Corning as a material to be used as insulation. It is marketed under the trade name Fiberglas (sic), which has become a genericized trademark.

Post Thanks / Like
    Speakeasy:

Please don't challenge me, I am just a lowly double licensed engineer working in bus manufacturing here in New Zealnd who deals everyday with fiberglass. I even have a speed boat made of fiberglass and carbon fiber.

Fiberglass - fibers similar to wool or cotton fibers but made from glass; sometimes called fibrous glass. But the raw materials are all liquid except for the reinforcement which are made of fiber mattings. It is a product of chemical reaction of a liquid resin and hardener.

Perhaps you haven't even seen a fiberglass basic raw materials like resins (liquid), hardener (liquid) and fiber mattings (fiber).

I will never give any false information in this forum coz I have no intentions to make business with few cents to earn.

Resin not "raisen" sorry

Post Thanks / Like
    Rolei,

I am not challenging anybody here.

Well, if you are a double license engineer and have a speed boat
    - then good for you.

You open this thread and everybody are entitled to say something - right?...

Did i mentioned something offend you? If there is,
    i'm sorry, okay?