Thread: 4 webber

Post Thanks / Like

4 webber

I was wondering who is the orginator of The Regular or Perfection 4 webber Greys ?

Post Thanks / Like
    from the top of my head..Madigan originated the regular and Perfections..the 4-webbers were a famous marking of Manziel Greys that contained blood from the famed "chocolate" hen..but I am going to have to double check this..

Post Thanks / Like
    Tonio I think your right I just found in an old magazine about the choc. hen.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Im lost from this article. Is the chocolate hen the brown hen that is out of the pyle hen and the regular grey gock or is she the original pyle hen?

Post Thanks / Like
    the brown hen

dogmancarter

4 webbed

Explain this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tonio that is what I thought until I seen the picture of Law.
    It says that the pure white claret is a brother to the chocolate hen and it says in the article that the brown hen is half a reg. grey cock and the pyle claret hen. But I am still with you I think it is the brown hen and the cock in the pic. might have been a brother to the pyle hen.

Post Thanks / Like

dogmancarter

Oriental Delight posted this below about the 4 webber

These are basically Regular Greys that Herman Sweater McGinnis made as a strain along with the right nose Sweaters. When Sweater quit working for Percy Flowers and went to work for Red Richardson, he brought along these lines to Big Red. This particular Grey line marked as the 4 Webbers on there feet would eventually go to Harold Brown and Manziel to name a few, making this as there foundation lines.

alex-g1

Re: 4 webber

History of Game Strains...

The Chocolate Hens
    by: Duke Hulsey

At the request of Oliver L. Tribble, W. Coast (May 1969 - G. & S., page 23) we wrote to Duke to please send us for publication what he knew about the Chocolate Hens. We are always pleased when our friends takes time to help us tell our readers what they pleased to know. - Ed. Grit and Steel, Oct. 1969.

This report is not meant to start any controversy, just a factual report of what I know about the Chocolate Hens.

The Chocolate Hens were bred by Madigin and Law, their mother was a Claret Hen, one of what was called the Big Foot Family.

The cock that produced them was a white Dean cock. He was fought by Madigin and Law in Orlando and lost to Henry Wortham. Earl Hamm of Georgia handled the Dean cock. Although he lost the fight, this cock had a gizzard blow and lived. Mr. Law mated him to the Big Foot hen and got 7 chicks out of the mating. They were as follows: 3 chocolate hens, 2 white hens and 2 white stags. One white stag is not healthy and was killed. The second stag was sent to Dave Ward in Kansas.

When the pullets were very small I asked Mr. Law to let me breed to them. He told me to take all five if I wanted to. I took the five pullets to Charlotteville, Va., and bred them on the R.H. Schlessinger (not certain about spelling) place.

Two or three years later, all had been killed or lost except two of the hens, these were both chocolate in color. Mr. Law asked for the two back as he liked the fowls I was fighting out of them. I sent them back to him and soon after this he sold out to Mr. C.C. Cook. If Mr. Law ever bred the two hens, I don't know, but Mr. Cook bought all of Law's fowls.

Later Mr. Cook and Perry asked me, at Tallahassee, what I had bred the Chocolate Hens to that produced the good cocks I was fighting. I told them they would have to get this information from Mr. Law, as the hens were his, he had allowed me to use them and all breeding information would have to come from him.

As far as I am concerned, this was the end of the Chocolate Hens, I never heard what happened to them after this.

As stated above, this report is not to cause any controversy, only to try and clarify the story of the Chocolate Hens as to their breeding. Through the years, the story has gotten garbled and mixed with other incidents and stories. Such as the one about the Thousand Dollar Hen. I have heard and read many articles thet mixed these two happenings and they were entirely different.

I hope this has helped to at least clarify the breeding of the Chocolate Hens.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 4 webber

nice info..

thanks