Thread: Derby live internet coverage

Post Thanks / Like

Derby live internet coverage

Want to ask this site's tech wizards about showing live fights thru internet. Could a laptop, camera & wi-fi connection do the trick? I think we need a website to host it too. If it is that easy and affordable I might show some fights live from the 2007 7-cock Candelaria derby.

Thanks a lot.

Nonong

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Derby live internet coverage

Nonong,

There are a few dependencies. Line Speed is the main one, Camera equipment and PC power comes in 2nd.

Wi-Fi speed in the Philippines is ok but not that great yet. You will still be beholden to a DSL line connectivity. There are several options to choose from when it comes to DSL lines, you may want to check which telecom has a franchise in Iloilo and then ask for a quote from that telco. Hope you suceed.

Post Thanks / Like

If not a live video broadcast, how about a live digital voice broadcasting. Maybe a local radio station can broadcast the fight live. Of course, you'll have to solicit sponsors to make this happen. Beer commercials, cigarette commercials, and even smalll time business commercials can make this dream come true. Very smart idea to cover this live. There is a big market out there and you'll be the pioneer of this sport broadcasting. I just watch a small segment of how UFC was allowed to show fights on t.v. and is allowed on 26 states to show ufc fights. They modified ufc rules. The CEO was asked how much UFC is now worth. Their investors put in 2 million dollars and it's worth alot more now.

Post Thanks / Like

Malalim & Camarines,

Thanks to your reply. This project came to my mind after talking to a friend about how to be able to report the results of the derby the fastest way. And that's when he mentioned about Wi-Fi connection. He said that if I have a laptop computer and Wi-Fi connection I don't have to go out of the coliseum anymore to be able to post the results to a host website.

Since I will be doing a video coverage of the event I thought that in addition to posting why not show some of the fights live if it is possible to do so. I am not planning to do this commercially. Just to be able to share the excitement to friends who cannot attend the derby and to all regular buyers of my video. I have a Cannon GL2 camera which can deliver an almost broadcast quality video. Still have to buy a laptop though. If it will not be too expensive it could be configured to do the job.

I think the big problem is the internet connection. It is just a 5-day event so I need only to subscribe for internet connection for about a week. And if I can settle the subscription problem I still have to ask permission from the Iloilo coliseum management for the installation of the internet line.

You have a very good idea Camarines. I will inquire first from the telecom franchise in Iloilo and then talk to Mr. Chito Tinsay about it. In 2002 Candelaria derby finals I hired a commentator and did the video editing live. I can do it again if I need to but this time with live internet broadcasting.

Whewww.... I hope that if this plan would materialize my budget could afford it.

Camarines, kindly convey my Holiday Greetings to your cousin, pareng Dante.

Nonong

steben_cgal

Banate,
    your idea is very doable.as a matter of fact there are few websites already provide this live webcast service. the main issue here is the cost. The better you want the quality of your webcast, the more money you have to pour in(video streaming server,higher bandwidth,high end camcoder.etc).

If your familiar with yahoo messenger and msn messenger, they have this webcast service as well but very limited since it can only cater up to 4-5 maximum concurrent viewers. not only that, the video streaming is slower than normal which cause the video to play and pause and sometimes freeze.

Anyway,your idea is really worth a try!
    Goodluck!

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a fast internet connection it is easy, but it will be a delayed telecast maybe 30 minutes or shorter, what you will do is to download the video fight to your hard drive and post it in your photobucket or other free video server and thats it.

steben_cgal

rtb,
    then that would defeat the purpose of "live" webcasting! isnt it?

Post Thanks / Like

banate,

Dante also mentioned to me that you're his compadre. I will let him know.

Just browsing a magazine and found this advertisement for Global IP. The website is
    www.verizonbusiness.com

Post Thanks / Like

........pede pag may dsl ang sabungan....... youtube or photobucket....... konting delay lang cguro....... mag copy and paste lang yata pede na.......

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a portable satellite dish is needed for the laptop.

Post Thanks / Like

Kung ok lang ang delayed telecast ie, upload na lang sa youtube, then a laptop, a good camera, a 3G phone with a USB connector would suffice.

3G net connection with SMART is only 10 pesos/30 minutes...

Post Thanks / Like

how about adding a ticker just like the stock market.

that shows the entry name,weight of each cock, fight number and result of the fight.

Post Thanks / Like

I called Mr. Chito Tinsay, owner of Iloilo coliseum, and talked to him about my plan of installing a Wi-Fi or DSL connection in the coliseum and he said there's no problem with him. But when he inquired from telecom companies about it he was told that a 12-month lockin contract is needed. I think it's too much because I need it only for a week. Sayang dahil maganda sana ito sa mga may entries na hindi makaka-uwi. At makakatulong din sa akin dahil magiging busy ako kaya hindi na makakasugal ng husto . I don't think the coliseum management is willing to shoulder the expenses. I will just try to inquire from friends with entries if they want to chip-in for the fees just to give this plan of mine a chance to materialize.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all....

steben_cgal

Quote Originally Posted by Camarines
    Maybe a portable satellite dish is needed for the laptop.

This is weather dependent and if you use this as your uplink and downlink at the same time the speed will be slower than normal. UNless you use this as your downlink then you have your dsl line as uplink then that would be faster!

steben_cgal

Talking Re: Derby live internet coverage

Quote Originally Posted by banate
    I called Mr. Chito Tinsay, owner of Iloilo coliseum, and talked to him about my plan of installing a Wi-Fi or DSL connection in the coliseum and he said there's no problem with him. But when he inquired from telecom companies about it he was told that a 12-month lockin contract is needed. I think it's too much because I need it only for a week. Sayang dahil maganda sana ito sa mga may entries na hindi makaka-uwi. At makakatulong din sa akin dahil magiging busy ako kaya hindi na makakasugal ng husto . I don't think the coliseum management is willing to shoulder the expenses. I will just try to inquire from friends with entries if they want to chip-in for the fees just to give this plan of mine a chance to materialize.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all....
    banate,

i know ISP grants demo account! perhaps you could request one!

tell them you got to test and see it first if it meets your requirment then contract can be arrange later!

Post Thanks / Like

banate,

One thing to keep in mind once you get all the technical details ironed out; "Will PAGCOR allow it?"

Better make sure so your investments don't go to waste. The MAN is very strict with this and have shut down operations already (remember pinoy-sabong?). Also, these sites "promising" live feeds are not telling the truth. They can only show glimpses and 30-second highlights as per PAGCOR guidelines.

Regards and good luck!

San Jose Del Monte City, Bulacan, Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sentenciador
    banate,

One thing to keep in mind once you get all the technical details ironed out; "Will PAGCOR allow it?"

Better make sure so your investments don't go to waste. The MAN is very strict with this and have shut down operations already (remember pinoy-sabong?). Also, these sites "promising" live feeds are not telling the truth. They can only show glimpses and 30-second highlights as per PAGCOR guidelines.

Regards and good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by banate
    Want to ask this site's tech wizards about showing live fights thru internet. Could a laptop, camera & wi-fi connection do the trick? I think we need a website to host it too. If it is that easy and affordable I might show some fights live from the 2007 7-cock Candelaria derby.

Thanks a lot.

Nonong

If all`s ironed out as per Sentinciador`s point, i guess 10Mb speed of Wi-Fi Wi-Max and 20Gb connection is enough to do the video transmission and broadcasting. You may get a connection from a local telecom for personal use but with wide roaming coverage (not zonal) so that you can just bring the USB anywhere you want to use... that includes bringing it to the cockpit... anytime.

Post Thanks / Like

Subscribe lang...good topic!