Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sardines

Post Thanks / Like

Smile sardines

has anybody here tried using canned sardines in supplementing their gamefowl's diet? aside from its high protein content, i've been told that it gives a shiny coat to their feathers/plumage. for only 10 pesos for a small can of sardines, it's enough to feed around 5 gamecocks being conditioned per feeding (2 pesos/cock). the only downside i've noticed is that its too oily for the cocks digestive system the reason i've tried draining the sauce first and feeding only the fleshy parts. i've also noticed an improved appetite on all the cocks i've fed with this supplement.

anyone tried this feeding regimen? any inputs will be highly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: sardines

Don't use sardines with oil..use sardines n' water if available in your area. If you don't have a choice use sardines n' oil but soak it for one day.
    Last edited by LMIGHTYWWW; January 26th, 2007 at 10:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I know some guys using sardines as additives to their feeding program.
    Haven't tried it yet though ............

cheers

dogmancarter

All our sardines are inported. I will try the ones in water because i never seen those in the bottle and its only ec $1.67

edmcclaskey

Smile Re: sardines

try TOFU twice as much protein which is why you would use sardines,in the first place, is made from soy beans vegetable protein which is better to digest in a roosters system,
    also give your birds brewers yeast tablet,three days before fight and alfalfa tablets, only one a day for 2 days or 3 days at most.. wowo wee,, make your roosters point out, also , point your roosters with rice and brown suger in a capsule every 3 hours on fight day,... no drugs...This is my proven way to point my roosters....all naturel...................oysters are better then sardines, sardines are good 3 days before fight only in water not oil, sardines control bleeding only purpose..oysters are better for protens and to point one out never give on fight day or one day before because it causes loose stool, poo, poo,
    Last edited by edmcclaskey; January 28th, 2007 at 07:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, best way is to soak watered down sardines in water to remove the salt in it. If you can get salmon, use it instead, especially if you are a fishing enthusiast, cohoe or sockeye.

dogmancarter

I have no access to tofu nor oisters. I only get oister shell and thats for calcium.

Post Thanks / Like

I,m using sardines in the brine to increase the crude protein content of my conditioning feeds. You can use fried fish by removing the bone & chopped the meat

dogmancarter

Sardine in brine.
    Is this type rare. I'll have to search the supermarkets for it.

Post Thanks / Like

dogmancarter where are you living now because I was just surprise when you say that you don't have any access to TOFU ( locally known as TOKWA ) if you are living in the Phil just go small market ( palenke or talipapa ) and you can buy it there. And also there are lots of good locally made sardines (Victoria ) made in Cebu City in fact this are the sardines I am eating here in tha states ( California )

Good luck brother.

o-plod

sardines are good because of its protein---fish protein is much better source than meat protein which will make your bird heavier and sluggish. Way back in the 70's Ligo sardines are commonly used along with pigeon pellets (secret formula during that time). now a days there are a lot of pellets that are better in the market and ligo sardines are too expensive. It's only good if you are conditioning/pre-conditoning 5 roosters----if you are conditioning for 7 or 8 cocks Derby, giving canned sardines is not a good idea (economically and efficiently). Basically, as a "rule of thumb" with regards to feeding and conditioning is, CONSISTENCY--- if possible variables that might affect the metabolism and catabolism of the rooster should be avoided... if you can not sustain to give sardines all through out the keep---why give canned sardines? If you want to make your feeds effective you have to start giving them during pre-conditioning.

-Oplod-

edmcclaskey

try dry cat food very good excellent, maybe you can have that were you are, 30 percent protein the amino acids are great for bird make them shine like a new car, my birds are out of molt faster then anyone in our are, WHY< dry cat food just a few pieces each morning, very low price in usa ,i dont remember how much in p.i., but you can buy it at most big stores, look for tofu in most big grocery stores, have to ask for it,..or yogurt.
    The reason cockers in america use sardines is not for the protein but the vitamin k it is rich in vitamin k, which controls bleeding and shock..

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: sardines

There is nothing wrong using sardines in your keep, be it in brine, corn oil or olive oil. Just be aware that you need to withraw the oil and sardine at least 4 days before the fight as protein is known to retain fluids. Fish protein is a healthy form of dietary protein that gives your birds plenty of benefits. Bear in mind that the protein incorporated to your common feed is out of fishmill and is even high in sodium being its preservative. But just a word of thought, I would rather spike the protein content during the moulting season and give them a healthy dose of cod liver oil. If affordability is not an issue, you may choose flax oil as this basically helps your bird regulate the arterial flexibility aside from giving healthy connective tissues.

Hope this helps,

spangle

edmcclaskey

you can get canned oyster were you get your canned sardines in most big stores,

Post Thanks / Like

why sardines if youre in pi just go to the market and just buy galunggong sorry i dont know what is this in english. just buy the reject ones and asked for the cheaper price. sometimes you get lucky they just give them to you.

Post Thanks / Like

COCKER122563...did u try the meat in can?

Post Thanks / Like

Fried Galunggong or tuna (Tulingan) is very practical, I,m adding this protein to their ration during heavy training, I withdraw this protein supplement when I decrease the crude protein of their ration down to carboloading which is 75% crack corn. Anyway there are many alternatives to fish protein if hotdog is available I use hotdog even meatloaf,ground beef,whole boiled egg etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Just by reading all the things here makes me happy because it shows only we come ( PINOY ) a long way in regards to taking care of our feathered warriors. That is way the americans who goes to the Phil. to fights their cocks is having a very hard times winning not like before as if they are taking candies from a kid. Good luck and more power to the PINOY COCKERS and keep on winning.

Post Thanks / Like

Omega-3

nawab

Sardines, and other canned goods are soaked in salt. Sometimes called brine, or sodium.
    This as a preservative. Fresh fish is better, not cheap spoiled ones. The trouble with most fishmeal is that they are made out of spoiled fish stocks. Buy fish when they are in season, as it would be cheaper, like tuna. I cook it (vinegar/water, salt base) until all if not most water/vinegar mix evaporates, cool and store in ref, debone and mash in water to add in feed mix.

ilahas

why pay P10.00 for a a small portion of fish when "galunggong" costs less? and if it is the oils we are after, fish oils or wheat germ oil will do. this is "avant garde" nutrition; like buying an imported vitamin C when one grows calamansi fruits at the back and it is free.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys for the timely response. canned sardines is available in almost all sari-sari stores. like what i've said before, i drain out the sauce since it is rich in fatty oils which is not good for cocks. i decided to use canned sardines since it only cost 10 pesos for five cocks being conditioned, fed once daily. i haven't experienced any diarrhea nor any loose vowel movement with my gamefowls.

with regard to fresh fish, i honestly don't know how i will feed them to my gamecocks. would you feed them raw or at least cook them first before feeding them? if you'll fry them you'll still be using oil isn't it? the best cooking method is steaming them, i think, but its too cumbersome and i don't have the time to do that the reason i picked feeding them canned sardines straight from the can.

anyway, its good to hear from our cockmates here some innovative ideas in supplementing their fowls' diet. keep 'em coming.

Post Thanks / Like

why not try fresh sardines deboned and steamed?

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: dilis

yup it's better to give them fresh raw fish. i think it will not upset the stomach of your gamefowls. why, try for a "dilis"? it is cheaper than sardines. if there is some left over "dilis" make a "kilawin" and you have an instant "pulutan". he he he.....

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: sardines

I have used Tuna in can. The Bumble Bee brand> it is free of oil. You can mixed them instantly on you cocks food. only when you are conditioning Anyway most of the conditioning pellets are with dried grind fish and grind copra(from dried coconut) so oil is already present on those conditioning pellets. I also used cod liver oil and wheat germ oil but not much. only after moulting so as for their feather to get more strong ang shiney.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie go
    dogmancarter where are you living now because I was just surprise when you say that you don't have any access to TOFU ( locally known as TOKWA ) if you are living in the Phil just go small market ( palenke or talipapa ) and you can buy it there. And also there are lots of good locally made sardines (Victoria ) made in Cebu City in fact this are the sardines I am eating here in tha states ( California )

Good luck brother.

do i have to fry or steam the tofu when i feed it to my roosters?

Post Thanks / Like

try tuna fish ones a week this very good for yours roosters and has many differntts vitaminas ,protein and somthing else . one can por 10 roosters try you will be the result

o-plod

I will say--- using canned sardines is not only obsolete but impractical.....that was 20 years ago. Now we are already in the information age.....don't pay for the can,ingredients, and preservatives because you want fish protein.

-Oplod-

expressdelivery

try giving shrimps
    baka pwedeng substitute
    dried shrimps is cheaper
    just soak in water
    to remove the salt

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we still need to add sardines with all the good feeds we have now adays.They already contain fish meal,meat meal,bone meal etc...