Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Knife Setting

Post Thanks / Like
    just want to put this to page one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Every knifeman has his own way of setting the knife. This is what makes the sport fun. It is a never ending learning process. Just like conditioning, it is always advancing and if you do not lean toward the future and modern feeding methods, you will be left behind. Not to mention loosing your hard earned money.

Let's face it, our traditional fork knife is being revolutionized by disign using the traditional fork knife art and the American socket knife. I have tried almost all American sockets and dislike all that I have tried. It is only my opinion that I am entitled too. Only one socket knife setting comes close to the traditional fork knife setting. It is the Ralph Warner Socket knife. However now with the adjustable socket knifes, things are changing. Again with the Filamm, the art is changing. Do we jump on the bandwagon now before we are left behind? Everyone could if they want to. It is their right learn modern ways. As for me nothing will take the place of the traditional fork knife. I have my own way of setting the knife and it is not dependant on the 11 to 1 O'clock setting nor do I aim to the vent. I aim the knife in three points and all three points must meet before locking on the string. All three points are on the legs. Every rooster's leg is different. As a rooster gets older the legs change and the setting of the knife must change. I have tied the knife on a stag a certain way which won without no injury. As he got older we fought him again as a cock and the setting changed and also won easily with no injury.

Some may say their new design is better. Some may say it is dependent on the rooster and how they throw their feet. Again some may say it is their setting. All are true and correct. This is what the sport is all about. Their is no voodoo or magic. but luck plays a major part. My definition of Luck is "When opportunity crosses prepareness". If you are not prepared and the opportunity comes, luck will pass you by. But if you are prepared and the opportunity comes, you created your luck.

Don't throw stones at one another we are all on the same team. The enemy are those individuals that are trying to take away our god given right to raise and compete gamefowl. Think about it, will your grandchildren enjoy raising and testing gamefowl? Will they be persecuted and punished for owning gamefowl? Our freedom is being taken away as we speak and we must work together for the betterment of our sport whether it be knife tying, knife making, or gamefowl breeding and conditioning. we can not take it with us when we leave this world so why not pass it on to the younger generation and teach them what we have learned. I have read the entire post from a to z and it just amazes me to read how different we think when we all have the same ultimate goal.

God Bless you all and thank you for your contribution. You are all champions. yfis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very well said 'Mudflop'....

Jarque

Mudflop......

I'd like your post..............thanks!

CyberFriends
    Post Thanks / Like

I aim the knife in three points.....

mudflop could you please share the differen points of your orientation you mentioned above.

thanks

lakay

Best post I read here honestly!

Mudflop

You are 100% right and more. I admire your above post and you are right in every way. Mabuhay Ka!

Lakay

filamforks

nice post

Mudflop,

Very well said indeed. Thanks a lot for those words of wisdom.
    I also share the curiousity on how you aim your knife, "in three points". It's my first time to hear about it, and it's kind of interesting so if you don't mind, can you please elaborate on it further? Seems like some of us are very eager to learn. I just want to see if my ultimate fork knife could meet the rigors of aligning it that way.
    By the way, is it because of versatility or adjustability that there are no other knives that would take the place of the traditional fork knife for you?

Thanks again and have a nice day.

filamforks

tiririt
    Let's bring back this interesting topic.
    Regarding the 12 o'clock setting....where do you aim the knife on this setting?

Fight...fight...fight

Post Thanks / Like

just my thoughts

ive been toying with this idea of a knife for LK fighting. think of an adjustable socket knife with a 12 o\'clock set 1.5-1.75\" long blade aligned to the direction of the spur...

paquito mi amigo, what do you think about this ? this is as close to postiza as we can get...hehehe

buhawi
    my own basic allignment
    Attached Images Attached Images

buhawi
    5 allignment points

1.imaginary line from center of hock to center of proptoe(for left side of fork)
    2.proptoe itself(for blade)
    3.center of base of natural spur(for tip of knife ,"eskwalado")
    4.right part of hock,one that sinks when you move back and forth the proptoe(for tip of knife)
    5.vent(for tip of knife)

picture belongs to senti,just showing to illustrate no.1

CyberFriends
    Post Thanks / Like
    oks yan idol buhawi simurgh or tsampoy:lol:

tiririt
    Thank you as always...Sir Buhawi.
    Haven't seen mang Filamforks for a year now. Hope he will throw in more ideas.

Thanks boss Joey Bravo for starting this thread!

I think Senor Paquito and Sir Ivar can help us more!!!:hippie:

Post Thanks / Like

From an old post!

Post Thanks / Like

knife Measurement from an old post!

CyberFriends
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is the proper adjustment of padding(sapin) and knife allignment for;

Knock Knee(piki)

bow legged(sakang)

tiririt
    Knock knee and bow legged.....it is a tough situation to be in for beginners. I have seen some roosters won with this kind of leg/knee malformation. Winning probability will depend on the proper placement of the knife.

filamforks

Piki, Pakang.......

Lakay Tiririt, & Lakay Jacket,

No BIG secret. Iasanta yu lang diay murdong ti tadi yu idiay ubet ket makatama kayo iti nauneg nga lasag.
    Have a nice day.

YFIS,
    filamforks

tiririt
    Thanks mang Filamforks...i'm planning to buy some knife with 12 o'clock setting and i've been trying to find out ; where do you aim the tip of the knife with this setting...is it still on the vent or on the knee?
    Hope someone will post a picture of their knife with 12 o'clock setting. Should be an interesting one since we are used with the traditional 1 o'clock.

filamforks

12 0'clock setting

Lakay, are you talking about a socket knife with a 12 0'clock setting here?

tiririt
    Set like a Socket Knife...yes Mang Filamforks..haven't seen one being used in our place. Should be an interesting one to use in "tupadas". I still have to see how it works in our traditional fork knife.

filamforks

Aiming or aligning the knife.....

Tiririt,

Regardless of the type or kind of knife you're using, their point(needle sharp tip of blade) should always be on a "bullseye" when PROPERLY tied. One way of checking if the point is right on the "bullseye" is, when a rooster that is standing normally poops or moves his bowel, the sh.....t will be hitting the point of the knife. Blades are set by the knifemakers from 11 O'clock to One O'clock from many different types of garol(flange). They could be aimed in different ways including the knees. But the goal is all the same in that, their points would all be in the same spot(the bullseye) when they are tied the right way. Hope this helps.

filamforks

buhawi

the secret lies on the angle

.......between the proptoe and bolster (pinaka leeg) of knife.

may tinarian yung mananari ng firefly na ganyan.knockneed yung roundhead-claret ni ray alexander.
    ginawa ng mananari ng thunderbird firefly ay inawangan nya ng kaunting kaunti ang pagitan ng proptoe at bolster ng tari.ibinaba nya ang paunan para pumasok ng paloob ng kaunti ang blade.

binitawan ang roundhead-claret.isang salpukan palang tumama ang tari ng thunderbird firefly.lupisak yung kalaban.
    wasak na wasak ang tama ng kalaban.

ang tindi ng tumama na yun:lol:
    o yung setting ng tari:lol:

sorry mga bossing........hirap na po akong mag translate ng english.......sorry po.

ysagan99
    to everybody,

anybody here knows of where to buy a cd or tape of " HOW TO TIE A KNIFE", Im a cocker just want to understand the proper method of tying a knife>so that i will not blame the gaffer if my cock can't kill the enemy>>

Post Thanks / Like
    i have observed that knives aligned with the center of the rooster's spur are more accurate and more deadly. come to think of it, the spurs are the roosters natural weapons... so the observations here that the the droppings of roosters will hit the tip of the knife when the rooster is standing is pretty accurate since the knife is pointed more towards the middle. this will even result to more self-inflicted wounds on the toes of its right foot after the fight since it will surely be stepping on the knife while it walks. i have seen roosters with knives that are aligned more to the left that shuffle a lot but don't seem to inflict any wounds on their opponent while roosters with knives aligned more to the right seem to kill faster. JMOH

buhawi
    kapag inilabas mo nga yang allignment ay hindi nga makakamatay.

juliocastro
    hold on mga erap,

there are so many ideas, the most important things to remember in gaffing is to make sure to put the knives whether it is gaff or slasher to the back of the heel, dont tie it in front it wont kill..ha ha ha ha...

Post Thanks / Like
    i observed how gaffers in the province tie their knife and almost all of them align the knife with the prop tie... seldom did i see a gaffer align the knife with the spur or put a gap between the bolster and the prop toe to align the knife inwards... the result: most of the fights lasted longer, even after a lot of mean shuffles have been exchanged, both roosters will still be standing fresh as a daisy... but when the knife is aligned with the center of the spur or there is a gap between the prop toe and the bolster of the knife, the fights didn't last long... one or two buckles and somebody is surely going to bite the dust... real fast!

Post Thanks / Like

to all fork knife makers....

mga igan, just in case i approach you and ask to make a fork knife design at 11 o'clock, how are you supposed to advice me, and why?

thank you in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    taas ko lang po eto at para masagot kailangang kailangan e!