Thread: Single Mating-which do you transfer- B Cock or B hen?

Post Thanks / Like

Single Mating-which do you transfer- B Cock or B hen?

In my wild dreams, I think of single mating as a rotation breeding sexercise. But let us spin the idea of which bird do you move from pen to pen- broodcock or broodhen? And, think or share the experience on the breeding results of which bird to move around. Let say you have 6 broodhens and 1 broodcock with individual pens:
    - how does the broodcock or broodhen mate when he or she is the receiving mate?
    - is there a significant change in egg production and hatching?
    - what other observations did you see or forsee?

Moving the Broodhen. This is royalty breeding where the women (or GRO) are brought to the King or Prince? To me, the hens after a couple times get used to the idea that they are there to mate with the broodcock. the feeling that she has to compete to be mated and perhaps they become more receptive or tend to teaser for multiple mating.
    I will have 1 breeding pen for the broodcock and 6 laying stalls (sloping floor to collect the eggs), similar size to night stalls or training stalls or even scratch pens. It will save money on having too many breeding pens and save on breeding area space (very critical for backyard breeders, I mean in a subdivision where the property line is very close to the house).

Moving the Broodcock. This will require at least 6 breeding size pens which will require more breeding area. The broodcock does not need a pen because each night he can stay with mistress for the night.

Let out your imagination and let our minds wander.

Have fun-Ed

El Español
    Hello Ed,

I was always taught to move the cocks and leave the hens in familiar surroundings. The hens have a lot more to do physiologically than the cocks. They also are more comfortable when they stay in the same pen and use the same nest. Moving them causes stress that they should not be subject to, while the cock is like us..........traveling from one beerhouse to the next and dropping off a load.

Your right, it is more expensive, but I think the quality of the eggs and offspring will be better if there is less stress on the hen.

Regards,

Post Thanks / Like
    i agree with el espanol...the only thing i did different is i put blinkers on both hen and cock...this way he thinks he's topping
    virgens all the time and the hen will not notice being molested but
    will feel a soothing backrub instead...

Post Thanks / Like
    El Espaniol, I tend to agree with you and I will use the moving the broodcock on my primary breeding. I will experiment moving the broodhen on the secondary breeding. Or, I can try one setting each.

Kogs, you gave me a great idea and I just don't know if my brain and heart can withstand your blinker technique while building up my appetite. So, when I visit Manila, I better get me 2 pairs of blinkers, one for me and one for the GRO. And, you will probably hear me yelling and humming, this one is for Kogs.....

Thanks-Ed

Ugly_Stik_9
    This is when you need the Philippine Cocking Fundamentals book,...only it does not show you a detail drawing of the trap nest.

The best way is to breed them like how other birds breed in the wild, without this people moving them around like some kind of a joke.
    Of course the brood cock will have his own territory with a handful of hens or so in one pen and we leave them alone to do their thang.

The question now, how do you identify the origin of the eggs, meaning, how do you know which hen laid the egg? This is when the book tells you about a knowledge that not everyone, not even the so called experienced breeders knows.

When I have first heard of the idea, I was able to imagine the concept of a trap nest and single mating but I did not know how it was actually done untill I saw the pictures.

They are nests that are mechanically designed to trap the hen inside of the nest so that when she lays her eggs, she can not get out until this people actually takes her out of the nest being that she is trapped there.

Once a day, when this people takes the hen out of the nest after she laid her egg, this people also marks the egg to identify which hen laid it.
    Of course, this people will know now which hen laid the egg, by just looking at the hen. Is it the brown hen? Is the black hen? Is it the fat hen? Better yet, look at the markings of the hen ( toe punches, nose holes, leg band, wing band etc),..cause like usual, all the hens look all the same unless they don't.

This trap nest can only trap one hen at a time therefore this people will know only one egg from only one hen.

If there are 6 hens in the breeding pen ( only one cock of course), there should also be 6 trap nests available for any of them to use.
    Remember now, they only lay one egg once a day, so this people only collects and marks the egg every end of every day, like before sunset. Right?

PS
    I will post a drawing of this nest design, in detail drawing ( with dimensions), when I get a chance. If I’m not too busy talking here, the incubator design should be up and running by now, but even that is first on the list. The good news is, my book is about 89% done.

Thank me.

PS2.
    Maybe I should change my name to Jedi StarWars because every time I write, it's always long like the beginning of the movie.

Ugly_Stik_9
    For those who have seen the book and you know what I’m talking about, the trap nest accessory you will need:
    – Cabinet door catch plastic clip - $1.00 a set at Home Depot
    – Or, you can use a magnet attached to the door and magnetic metal on the wall where it will hold itself closed. - $2.00 worth at Home Depot.

You have to see the picture in order to know how it works though.

El Español

Thanks Ugly

Yes Sir,
    We all know what trap nests are and I agree with you that they are good ideas when you want to flock mate and you CARE whose egg is whose. In the case of the single matings, most guys are not using incubators to hatch out the clutch, but letting mother nature (hen) hatch out the eggs instead. So, if you dont have enough cocks for each hen, then you are forced to move one or the other around.

Trap nests rule when you have a cock over a dozen hens in a large flock breeding pen and you wish to use artifical incubation.

Please post your drawings because I have some trap nests but I am always looking for a cheaper alternative.

Regards,

Ugly_Stik_9
    Perhaps you know what a trap net is but perhaps not everyone does.

Have a great night!

ricko
    Illustration please

Post Thanks / Like

Which one?

I used to move the broodcock from stall to stall every three days during the past breeding season.

Two weeks ago, my new hen which I was planning to use come breeding season started to lay some eggs. Thinking what a waste it would be for this hen to keep on laying infertile eggs, We moved her every morning to the broodcocks pen. We couldn't move the broodcock because it hasn't finished molting and everytime we tried to catch it, it would peck and hit my handler.

To our surprise, she only layed an egg then she stopped totally. This is after laying four eggs (an egg a day) when we haven't transfered her every morning. Do you guys think the stress of moving her every morning did have an effect in laying? What might have caused her to stop laying?

My apologies to EAA beacause instead of merely giving my point of view regarding his topic, I asked a question instead.

Just sharing my experiences.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm also having the same experience when moving a hen from round pen with grass to breeding pen. The hen will lay a few eggs while in round pen then I thought the hen ready for breeding and move her with the broodcock to breeding pen, unfortunately the hen stop laying egg anymore.

Regards,
    Biring

sampaloc manila/ infanta quezon/ cerritos & buena park, california usa
    Post Thanks / Like
    i prefer moving the brood cock at night time. moving the hen
    specially daytime some cock may get jealous and will hit you

beside catching hen will subject them to stress and might
    cause them broken eggs

best is if can eliminate or minimize handling during the entire
    breeding period. i do the handling at night time if necessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Darkwing, no apology necessary. We are here to exchange ideas and experiences.
    In the U.S., the hens were laying eggs very good at the shipping farm and when they were transferred to our farm (at another state), the hens did not lay. In fact, one has not laid eggs for 2 years because she has a big growth on her butt, and she is still alive and just a pet. It could be the egg broke inside her and clogged the reproductive tube (as explained by the vet). We received the other hen late in the breeding season and no egg production from her. We will see how she produces this year.

But, I still want to try each hen (on the second setting). Thanks-Ed

Dodong at Kogs, kayong mga tiga Bohol may kaunting kiliti ang pagaalaga ng mga manok. Katulad din ng mga bisaya na kakilala ko, ang practice nila sa relationships- nagdadagdag sila ng woman at hindi sila nag di divorce.

Ugly_Stik_9
    I’m thinking of making the Trap Nest as a product to sell.

Maybe made of molded dark colored plastic, cheap.

Advertise it in The Gamecock.

What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Single Mating-which do you transfer- B Cock or B hen?

U Stk, I think it is a good product (trap nest) and made of plastic (Anay resistant) too. I think many breeders can use the trap nest. How large will the breeding pen be to house the trap nest? thanks - Ed