Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buttermilk

Post Thanks / Like

Buttermilk

Hi Doc Ted! Is buttermilk beneficial to fightingcocks? If so, when is the right time to give it during conditioning period?
    Last edited by advirada; April 10th, 2007 at 03:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buttermilk

Quote Originally Posted by advirada
    Hi Doc Ted! Is buttermilk beneficial to fightingcocks? If so, when is the right time to give it during conditioning period?
    advirada
    Do you know where one could buy buttermilk in the PI?

Post Thanks / Like

I do not know where to buy but I know how to make one. PM me.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Buttermilk

Doc Teddy, I'm also interested to know the benefits of buttermilk during conditioning.

civic cio

Quote Originally Posted by JuryRudy
    Doc Teddy, I'm also interested to know the benefits of buttermilk during conditioning.
    same dor me doc

Accredited Merchant tjtcokngacademy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Buttermilk is the sour liquid that remains after the butterfat has been removed from whole milk or cream. Buttermilk contains a lot of useful bacteria needed to maintain a healthy intestinal microflora.
    It's a fact that chickens are acidic in nature..... and giving buttermilk would surely keep their normal pH level.

It is a fact that chickens don't have the ability to digest (absorb) the protein part of the milk and that is the reason why i prefer giving fresh milk (liquid) instead of the powdered form because of the "good quality moisture" it gives to their system. Mixing fresh milk or buttermilk to their "feed ration" enables them achieve, the right form of "moisture dropping"
    Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; July 21st, 2008 at 06:07 PM.

7. Thanks boomhaur thanked for this post
    Likes TopNotchfarms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Doc Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Buttermilk is the left over liquid after producing butter from full-cream milk during the churning process. It has a slightly sour taste.
    Most of the modern, commercially available, "buttermilk" in supermarkets is not genuine buttermilk, but rather cultured buttermilk, that is, milk to which lactic acid bacteria have been added to simulate the traditional product. The sour taste, or tartness of "cultured buttermilk" is a result of a fermentation process in which the bacteria turn lactose into lactic acid. As the pH drops in this reaction the milk becomes tart. At this point, casein, a milk protein, precipitates as it is no longer soluble under acidic conditions, causing what is called clabbering or curdling. The acidity of buttermilk inhibits bacterial growth, and this gives it a long refrigeration life.
    Traditional buttermilk is quite different from cultured buttermilk: it is thin and slightly acidic, while cultured buttermilk is thick and tart.
    Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; April 18th, 2007 at 12:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Buttermilk Substitute

No buttermilk on hand....try souring milk to use in the place of buttermilk.
    Here is an easy way to make sour milk:
    - Warm the milk slightly for best results. (Microwave on HIGH for a short period of time i.e. 25 seconds, then stir well. Repeat until milk is warm.)
    - To each cup of warmed milk add 1 1/2 Tablespoons of fresh lemon juice or 1 1/3 Tablespoons of cider vinegar. Stir well.
    - Allow the milk to set to give it time to thicken.
    The soured milk should have the consistency of buttermilk or yogurt.

11. Likes triplecgamefarm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Buttermilk

Hope some of you can share your opinion about buttermilk and we can all learn from each other.

expressdelivery

from the keep that chris nesmith sent
    the last three feedings before fight
    is no water to be given anymore.
    chris gets perhaps the needed moisture for his roosters
    from the BUTTERMILK
    that is included in his keep.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjtcokngacademy
    Hope some of you can share your opinion about buttermilk and we can all learn from each other.
    Doc Teddy,
    For me, I don't really know the nutrients derived from buttermilk that's why I asked your opinion.

Everyone of us have our own feeding program. Myself, feed the roosters twice a day.

On a 14 days keep, I would deworm on the 1st day, give soft diet with a few drops of canned evaporated filled milk in the evening. From then on I add buttermilk from 2nd to 10th day on their evening feeds only. This helps the roosters digest their food easily while sleeping. Each morning one will notice that the roosters will drop rounder poops and also noticeable increase of their morning appetites. On the 11th to 14th day no more buttermilk.

On a 21 days keep, stop giving buttermilk on the 18th to 21st day. That's how I do it.

savvy_chick

This is an awesome forum....it's given my adrenalin a power boost. It's great for novice breeders such as myself. I'm lovin' it already!!!

Thanks to Doc TJT and the website admin....

Cheers,
    Marie

Post Thanks / Like

Yoghurt, Cottage Cheese and Buttermilk pretty much works the same.

Just sharing

R

Post Thanks / Like

JuryRudy & Roadman

Thank you for your inputs.

g-ayo

doc, would you advice that as replacement for buttermilk that we use powerpak instead? i believe both products have the same principle of enhancing digestion and absorption..what do you think?

joash

Smile Re: Buttermilk

Doc T.

Good morning, is it ok to give the milk and the fresh lemon juice separately instead of mixing it together to make a replacement for buttemilk?

How about yogurt, will it be helpful in giving it as part of their meal in conditioning/keeps?

Tnx Doc for any reply!

Post Thanks / Like

g-ayo
    Yes you are right that both supplements promotes good digestion but i've observed that you get better droppings when you use Powerpak.... having the right coloration and the right form that i want them to have.... compared to Buttermilk that produces a slight greenish droppings.. mainly because of the birds inability to digest the protein part of the milk. Although i must admit that buttermilk is a better source of moisture.
    Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; May 22nd, 2007 at 09:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Doc, the "DAIRY CREME" being sold in grocery stores is marked BUTTERMILK, can we rely on this product?

Post Thanks / Like

Dairy Creme contains a lot of fats and salt which is bad for the chicken.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks doc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjtcokngacademy
    Buttermilk is the sour liquid that remains after the butterfat has been removed from whole milk or cream. Buttermilk contains a lot of useful bacteria needed to maintain a healthy intestinal microflora.
    It's a fact that chickens are acidic in nature..... and giving buttermilk would surely keep their pH to it's normal level.

Avian books would reveal that chickens can't breakdown (absorb) the protein part of the milk and that is the reason why i don't recommend giving milk in powdered form.

My main purpose in giving Fresh (liquid) milk in my 21 day keep is to provide a "good quality moisture" for their system. Mixing fresh milk or buttermilk to their "feed ration" enables them to expel the right "moisture dropping".... in terms of COLOR and FORM.
    Doc,
    how do you mix fresh milk to their everyday feed ration and how much, example 10 cock? Do you use full cream milk or semi-skimmed milk?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I give 1tbsp per head AM & PM from Day 1 up to Fight Day...So if you follow the conditioning mixture listed in my book "On Gamecock Conditioning" (page 12) you add 10 tbsp of milk to their feed mixture.
    Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; July 6th, 2007 at 10:03 AM.
    TJT Cocking Academy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joash
    Doc T.

Good morning, is it ok to give the milk and the fresh lemon juice separately instead of mixing it together to make a replacement for buttemilk?

How about yogurt, will it be helpful in giving it as part of their meal in conditioning/keeps?

Tnx Doc for any reply!
    Other conditioners prefer giving Sour Milk and that is the proper way of preparing it.

You have to be consistent with the way you prepare your milk supplement to avoid "bad droppings"

I used to include yogurt in my feed mixture and i give each rooster.... not more than a knife point.
    TJT Cocking Academy

carlpoten

doc, querrie po. just thinking of using yakult just for the bacteria flora content of it. what do you think? any good or bad effects? salamat po.

Post Thanks / Like

Buttermilk is good stuff. It melts the oil lining the intentestines. It's a flush. Detox from all the oils from the grains. Good stuff. You can't buy it here. Make your own. Doc Ted's recipe is the one.

Post Thanks / Like

doc,what brand of milk are suggesting?

Post Thanks / Like

To moderators,

Sorry for posting in tagalog language. It will never happen again...

allan_dubai

Running Gwapongkol,

I'm feeling sad for you... you always keep on pretending that you knows a lot about chicken... but as far as I analyzed your knowledge about chickens... "you're too old and too good to be true". But nothing in this world can stop you doing those things except yourself... if your not ashamed with anybody else be ashamed of yourself... look at the mirror and ask yourself... ha ha ha

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Buttermilk

thats it you really accept my analysis with doing in this site. Me " STUPID "? Men as I have told you just look at the mirror ang you will see ha ha ha ha... "CANNOT STAY AT THE DARK" that's what we called "phobia". And for sure we can call you an ARROGANT CRAZY MAN aka SWEATER GWAPONGKOOL... ha ha ha I'm finished for this thread goodbye...

Post Thanks / Like

Making Faux Buttermilk

Question: I'd appreciate knowing how to substitute for buttermilk (not just powdered buttermilk). Believe it had something to do with lemon juice and milk, but not sure.

Answer:To make pretend buttermilk, add 1-3/4 tablespoons of cream of tartar to a cup of milk, or add a tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to a cup of milk and let it stand for 5 to 10 minutes.