Thread: Inbreeding

birdbrain

Inbreeding

How many generations is to far for inbreeding, The way that i am doing it i am going to breed father doughter son mother. also i am going to cross two lines albany over hatch hen the hen is of unkown decendence then i am going to breed back to the albany side.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Inbreeding

it depends how long you have left in your life or the life of your fowl whom you're set to inbreed .... you can go 1,023/1,024 that is inbreeding back to the tenth generation if you have the time and patience... but just try to make sure you cull those that possess bad traits (physical defects and especially bad health)... hope this helps.

gloger

inbreeding too deep has a negative effect, you are going back to the old strains. why not stay on the present strain you are infusing. we cannot go on thru our own if we keep doing it, back to the future. always what we see is what we believe.
    Last edited by gloger; April 17th, 2007 at 04:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

7/8 is enough for what is called seed stock.

Post Thanks / Like

The best "safety measure" I have.... is to use only intensive inbreeding once (if there's really a very good reason for that and the bird is the most perfect specimen selected)...then the offsprings will be mated to others using mild inbreeding. At least, I have 9 broodpens to maintained their purity to avoid doing too much intensive inbreeding.

That is father to daughter mating and then their offsprings will be mated to their uncles or aunts or relatives and never be bred back to their father or mother. As long as the selections is strict and your standard is high, you can never be get wrong in your breeding. Remember that it is the mating or pairs that produces fighters...so the best is to always find out the pairs that produces high winning birds and maintained them as long they produced good quality fighters. And even pures, some pairing could produced high quality fighters that fights like a cross.
    Last edited by gemini1; April 17th, 2007 at 08:01 PM.

gloger

you have to be sure for now, no more importation of fowls from the US.

Post Thanks / Like

inbreding is good if you pay much attention to it.. always on the look for those unwanted traits.. so cull hard

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Inbreeding

Intensive inbreeding is only recommended for those who has broad knowledge in breeding and has many chickens to choose from to select the very best and cull those with even the slightest defects. This is not recommended to small time breeders, coz they may have the tendencies to become "sentimental" in their undertaking of which is breeding fighters...and that continued inbreeding even if the produced already starts to decline its quality and value like the size of chicken's offsprings. In the past, I thought that some game chickens I've seen was then infused with the blood of the parrot coz some of them are smaller than the others, but then I realized that this is just a result of a careless inbreeding program of some breeders.