Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Valuable Conditioning Tips

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Doc TJT's Tips on Conditioning

Doc - here is something I learned recently. SAFFRON or "kasubha" in the Philippines.
    Some good Mexican Handlers uses this for conditioning.

I dont know what is the content of that spice/herb but I have seen 3 handlers I know that mix it during their keep feeding.

Have you heard of this before?

just curious. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swtrhtch1925
    Doc - here is something I learned recently. SAFFRON or "kasubha" in the Philippines.

I dont know what is the content of that spice/herb but I have seen 3 handlers I know that mix it during their keep feeding.

just curious. thanks
    SIR THIS IS NEW MAYBE IT WILL HELP BUT THE TRUTH IS MY MEXICAN COCKMATE USE THE SAFRON TO MARINATE THIER POLLO JUST LIKE EL POLLO LOCO A MEXICAN CHICKEN HOUSE . OR IN MANILA WE USE SAFRON FOR ARROZ CALDO ...JOKE ONLY

Post Thanks / Like

doc good day po. Nakabili po ako ng book ninyo. ano po pwd ko ipalit sa rubramin, jectofer, wheat germ oil capsule, cod liver oil capsule at gensing? wala po talaga ko mahanap na ganitong mga vitamins dito sa amin. Taga Tacloban City po ako.

Post Thanks / Like

doc teddy tanong ko lang available pa ung book mo sa conditioning sa national bookstore?

Post Thanks / Like

DOC,
    ano po ba injectable ang magandang combine sa super ometol?ilan cc mo dapat ilagay?

Accredited Merchant tjtcokngacademy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Conditioning Stags- Part 1

Nutrition plays an important role in the conditioning of stags. There are gradual changes in the proportioning of the grains in combination with the pellets as the stag develops. They should be fed more(50gms) compared to cocks as their metabolism is much faster. Feeding them would be simpler if we follow the TJT Feeding Program. Aside from the good feeding formula, here are a few tips on how to train and condition your stags. Selection is crucial. If a rooster is not fully developed he will not have a winning chance. The birds I select are those that would open their hackle to the fullest. Also, when you tail them (kahig) they would go straight to the opponent with a full hackle. This indicates that they are well focused. They should spar well and hit without hesitation. Training would be lighter compared to cocks. Scratching time is done only for 5 minutes. Rotation method also applies to the stags. Salida plays an important role in teaching the stags on how to hit the opponent on air. This should be done daily.

Post Thanks / Like

7paris

Quote Originally Posted by 7paris
    DOC,
    ano po ba injectable ang magandang combine sa super ometol?ilan cc mo dapat ilagay?
    I believe in conditioning my birds the natural way. The simpler the keep the better.
    Honestly, I am not familiar with Super Ometol. It is a Breco product which is indicated to increase their endurance during the fight. If you're winning with it, then stick to it. If not, TRY MY 21 DAY KEEP.

Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; June 4th, 2007 at 01:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Conditioning Stags- Part 2

The stags should possess the following physical appearance. These are: a healthy comb which indicates that their testicles are fully developed, shiny feathers, fully developed chest (Light weight chickens should be left in the range to give them more time to develop.), good appetite and lastly it should have the stance of an aggressive rooster who is ready for battle.

Taking all these into consideration, the stags are ready to be placed in a hardening pen. This should be done on the 5th and 6th month of their life. The main point for putting them into the hardening pen is for them to get use to the string that is placed on their right leg prior to cording. More cockers associate the hardening phase with the stags coming of age or maturity. I simply regard it as a preparatory phase to cording. The hardening stage may last from 3 days to 3 weeks depending on the stag’s response to handling. Always handle the stags gently so that they will know that you are not a threat to their macho instinct.

Post Thanks / Like

Conditioning Stags- Part 3

Being in the hardening pen, we introduce the concept of feeding them from a clay pot in the morning and also in the afternoon. Once they are used to feeding from the clay pot, you can place a hen in the hardening pen. I prefer an older hen because an older hen is much tamer. Putting the hen in the pen will develop their machismo.

Post Thanks / Like

Saffron

Quote Originally Posted by swtrhtch1925

just curious. thanks
    Saffron is an extraordinarily expensive herb which originated from Greece and Iran (Persia). It comes from the style of the Crocus flower. I did a little research and found out that aside from adding great flavor to food (like Paella Valenciana), it is used as a dye and has medicinal benefits.
    Here are some of the information I gathered:

Saffron has been cultivated in the region from Greece to Persia for 35 centuries and is mentioned in early literature, such as in the fourth of the Songs of Solomon, dated to about 965 B.C. Its cultivation and use spread throughout the region, moving east to Kashmir and west to Spain. The herb has been cultivated as far west as Britain and became an important medicinal in Tibet. Saffron was described in the Chinese compendium Bencao Gangmu (1596), indicating that it was introduced from Persia and used to benefit the blood (vitalizes blood, stops bleeding) and to calm fright.

Iran is the major saffron producer today, accounting for about 85 percent of the global production. The country produced 225 tons of saffron (April 2003-March 2004) and earned $67 million from saffron exports (only 10-15 tons were used domestically; most of the export goes to Spain). This year the Iranian saffron exports may reach $100 million. Spain is the second largest producer (35-40 tons/year) but is the primary international distributor; minor producers include Portugal, France, Italy, and Turkey. Kashmir has begun large scale production though it is not yet a major international source. Saffron has been successfully planted in several Chinese provinces, including Henan, Jiangsu, Hunan, Shanghai, and Tibet. A major problem with saffron production is that the plant grows in desert regions but needs sufficient water to thrive; irrigation in many of these areas is costly and difficult; severe draughts can cause significant crop losses.

SAFFRON AS A MEDICINAL HERB

The medicinal properties attributed to saffron are extensive. Topically, it is applied to improve the skin condition overall and specifically to treat acne. Internally, it is used to improve blood circulation, regulate menstruation, treat digestive disturbance, ease cough and asthmatic breathing, reduce fever and inflammation, calm nervousness, and alleviate depression. In Tibet, saffron is often an ingredient in medicinal incenses; it is considered a tonic for the heart and the nervous system. The active ingredients may be of benefit in inhibiting growth of cancer cells.

Personally, I would prefer if you stick to the proven keep using B12, iron, WheatGerm oil and good nutrition.

Post Thanks / Like

Travelling

Travelling can be classified as short or long depending on the hours spent to travel. A short trip may take about 1-3 hours max, while a long haul could go for 6 hours or more.
    Here are some tips and points to consider when travelling your roosters:

• The general rule is that the amount of time spent to travel must equal the amount of time the roosters have to rest before they are fed.
    • They must be empty during the trip. Their digestive system operates only at 50% capacity while in transit.
    • Place the chickens in carrying boxes lined with 4-6in of banana leaves to assure that they are comfortable during the trip.
    • To maintain their moisture while travelling, you may give 2-3 pieces of hard boiled egg white/saging saba the size of corn grain. Personally, I prefer over ripe saging saba.
    • Upon arrival, place the chickens in the damping pens to empty. Weigh them in your scale, then weigh them on the cockpit's weighing scale for registration.
    • Place them in their holding cages to rest and relax in the cockhouse.
    • About 2 hours later, feed the chickens 3/4 their regular ration. Remember that this time you are already using your poitning feed.
    • Limber the cocks every 2 hours to monitor their droppings because some chickens do not move their bowels when they're in their holding cages.
    • Rule of thumb: It is better to underfeed than to overfeed roosters coming to point.
    Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; June 30th, 2007 at 11:02 AM.
    TJT Cocking Academy
    March 19, 20 & 21

TingKill

doc,,,is saging saba in tagalog same as saging saba in cebuano?saging saba here is cooked first (boiled,fried,,etc) before eating....

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it's just the same. I perfer that you give it raw and over ripe.
    TJT Cocking Academy
    March 19, 20 & 21

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Doc TJT's Tips on Conditioning

Doc how about cinnamon? ano ang magagawa nito para sa pagkundisyon sa ating mga manok?

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I do not use this in my 21 Day Keep....The simpler the keep, the better!
    But here are some information I picked up from the net that might answer your question:
    Health Benefits of Cinnamon
    Cinnamon has anti-inflammatory qualities that can lessen joint and muscle pain, especially the joint pain associated with arthritis. Diabetics should know that a recommended daily dose of this spice can help regulate blood sugar. Cinnamon can also benefit the health of your heart by improving your circulation.
    Cinnamon may also help kill and prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.
    Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; July 4th, 2007 at 04:36 PM.
    TJT Cocking Academy
    March 19, 20 & 21

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Doc TJT's Tips on Conditioning

Quote Originally Posted by tjtcokngacademy
    Personally, I do not use this in my 21 Day Keep....The simpler the keep, the better!
    But here are some information I picked up from the net that might answer your question:
    Health Benefits of Cinnamon
    Cinnamon has anti-inflammatory qualities that can lessen joint and muscle pain, especially the joint pain associated with arthritis. Diabetics should know that a recommended daily dose of this spice can help regulate blood sugar. Cinnamon can also benefit the health of your heart by improving your circulation. Cinnamon can also improve digestive health and relieve common stomach discomforts. Many women use a daily dose of cinnamon to relieve discomforts associated with their menstrual cycle. If you have nasal or sinus congestion, cinnamon may help relieve these conditions. Cinnamon may also help kill and prevent the growth of harmful bacteria, which makes this spice useful for preventing urinary tract infections, tooth decay, gum disease, and other bacterial problems.

Doc maraming salamat, nabasa ko lang kasi sa isang keep formula na ang cinnamon daw ay isang blood clotting agent. Thanks for the info doc and more power.

TingKill

Yes, it's just the same. I perfer that you give it raw and over ripe.
    doc,,another question......why saging saba?why not saging lakatan or any other type of saging?

Post Thanks / Like

I have used saging lakatan and they were able to maintain their moisture and point well.It has sugar(fructose) and rich in potassium to prevent muscular fatigue.

Post Thanks / Like

Feeding saging saba to maintain their moisture is something I learned from the late Jesse Cabalza. Since then I have used saging saba and it has become part of my method.
    In the past, when I had mynah birds and lorikeets, if given a choice between lakatan, latundan and saba...they would first devour the saging saba.
    Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; July 17th, 2007 at 09:59 AM.
    TJT Cocking Academy
    March 19, 20 & 21

Post Thanks / Like

Doc TJT's Tips on Conditioning

Chickens are creatrues of habit. During the keep, they adjust their system to the feeding and the training routine that we subject them to. One important aspect to observe is the time they digest and pass their feed/ droppings.

Usually, the first droppings observed in the early part of the day would be a series of Intestinal Droppings. Then comes the Cecal Droppings which is usually observed past noon time. Moisture Droppings is observed when they are almost empty .

On fight day, any changes or delay on the time they expel a particular dropping indicates they are experiencing a digestive disturbance. Probable causes that can trigger such situation are: improper hauling, poor ventillation, changes in the temperature and humidity inside the cockhouse, making the roosters uncomfortable. This would definitely affect their metabolism. Early detection of such disturbance would give you the chance to remedy the situation before they lose their POINT.

Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; July 18th, 2007 at 10:18 PM.
    TJT Cocking Academy
    March 19, 20 & 21

Post Thanks / Like

Droppings is of prime importance in determining your rooster's condition. Evaluate all droppings he excreted and check if he released the cecal droppings for that particular day (day 21) as it is an indication that he is digesting well.

Massage their crop to make them "burp", releasing the unwanted gas in their system. Limber them every 3 hours to enable them to drop normally.

Individualize the needs of each candidate because some birds need more attention and modification. Experience would teach you that they act differently on fight day. Observation would be your best tool to avoid mistakes.
    Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; July 22nd, 2007 at 03:13 PM.
    TJT Cocking Academy
    March 19, 20 & 21

Post Thanks / Like

What we do to our chickens is a routine, but what is important is that you stick to one feeding time which cannot vary. Changing feeding time will complicate the chickens metabolism.
    Check their crop before you feed them. If your rooster still has 3 to 5 grains in his crop before feeding time, this means his gizzard is still full and you have to adjust the amount of feed or skip his meal because he didn't digest well.
    Provide enough water all throughout the day for the cocks to regulate their body temperature and digest their feed. Soaking grains can help them to digest faster whereby body heat is reduced. Water should only be monitored the last 2 days of the keep.
    Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; July 23rd, 2007 at 03:35 AM.
    TJT Cocking Academy
    March 19, 20 & 21

Post Thanks / Like

Doc Ted,

About Stag Conditioning, how often do you spar the stags from the time you pre con them as not to stress them out but enough for us to see their progress as a fighter...

And, how often and how long do use RUNNING PEN during stag conditioning...If this is included in the rotation method ?

More power to you and to your program!

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Feeding saging saba to maintain their moisture is something I learned from the late Jesse Cabalza. Since then I have used saging saba and it has become part of my method.
    In the past, when I had mynah birds and lorikeets, if given a choice between lakatan, latundan and saba...they would first devour the saging saba.
    Doc,
    sa 21 days keep mo sa VCD walang pong saging doon sa pagkain na binibigay mo.
    Kaylan mo ibigay ang saging na saba?

Post Thanks / Like

Taas ko lang, para mabasa ni Doc Ted tanong ko...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperMan-2
    Doc Ted,

About Stag Conditioning, how often do you spar the stags from the time you pre con them as not to stress them out but enough for us to see their progress as a fighter...

And, how often and how long do use RUNNING PEN during stag conditioning...If this is included in the rotation method ?

More power to you and to your program!

Jerry
    I spar them as early as 5-6 months old & I do it once every 2 weeks until they learn how to break.
    Please take note that I do the sparring for 2-3 buckles only so as not to stress them out.
    But there is one particular time that i would let them spar... for about 2 minutes, just to see how they would react?? if they are hit badly. These would enable you to guage their skills and evaluate those birds that are exceptional and those that needs more training.
    I don't believe in using the Running Pen because it takes out the aggressiveness in them but I still do, the rotation method to enhance their mental conditioning.
    Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; July 30th, 2007 at 01:24 PM.
    TJT Cocking Academy
    March 19, 20 & 21

Post Thanks / Like

Doc Ted,

Thanks for ur reply...
    I just read your conditioning book, there's a page there about Stag Training and you mentioned that Stags should be sparred more often(but trained lightly), that sparring them every 2 days, probably just 2-3 buckles each time, will give them the experience they need...
    What stage(selection, precon or conditioning) should this kind of sparring be done? And for how long? so, we can still give them good rest for the actual fight day...

I'l wait for your reply...

regards,
    Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Sparring is the most important training when it comes to stag conditioning. After the hardening period ( 6 months) i would try to see those stags that exhibits eagerness to fight.
    First, i would spar them close then , break. Again release them from a distance of 6- 8 feet apart. In each release, 2-3 buckles is good enough. These woud enable you to check their bad habits like "treading" or "giri".
    But there is one particular time that i would let them spar... for about 2 minutes, just to see how they would react?? if they are hit badly. These would enable you to guage their skills and evaluate those birds that are exceptional and those that needs more training

How often to spar them depends on the trainer's discretion.
    Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; July 31st, 2007 at 01:39 AM.
    TJT Cocking Academy
    March 19, 20 & 21

29. Likes Maebel peduca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stags need more feeds than cocks because they digest faster. To give you a valuable tip, selection plays an important role in training stags. Choose stags which are more tamed.He should also be a good in sparring and should be hackled up. This means that he opens his hackles fully when facing an opponent. This is a sign that he is well-focused and possess the ability to fight better in all aspects as compared to a dull stag.
    TJT Cocking Academy
    March 19, 20 & 21

Post Thanks / Like

At Day 20,...... a day before the fight, i let them rest the whole day.
    Put wet "dark curtains" {black-out day} in their resting stalls. Sprinkle the surroundinbgs with water to make them as fresh as possible.
    Limber every 3 hours, observing their droppings and condition. Check their crop and massage it to make them "BURP" which is an indication that he is almost.... empty.
    Making them sleep in their teepees, If the weather permits, is an advantage. They digest better if they are out rather than being cooped.

I usually play a soft music like jazz or violins and you would notice that they respond to it making them relax and sleep. Don't laugh because it's true. Try it youself and you can actually observe them closing their eyes in tranquility.
    TJT Cocking Academy
    March 19, 20 & 21