Thread: chicks pecking each other

Post Thanks / Like

chicks pecking each other

I have a serious problem on my chicks. My place is very limited, my chicks are pecking each other to death. Can't beleive it, they are just as big when making a fist, but they are actully fighting. Considering the space we have right now (very limited), what can we do to stop this, aside from getting a large place for them to range.

yfis

Post Thanks / Like

Re: chicks pecking each other

Asap -separate The Weak Ones,wounded Ones,go To Your Local Poultry Store And By Solution And Apply It On The Affected Area To Further Prevent Pecking,check Your Space,ventillation And Feeding Routine To Prevent Stress To Your Chicks.

Post Thanks / Like

Separate, and place them in a bigger brooder or space to avert more damage in them, one cause is over crowded and no proper ventillation, turn off lights from time to time

gabrl

Cool I had this problem to the extreme!!

My chicks used to peck at each others butts till they saw blood and would not stop pecking and eating till the weak pecked chick was empty of its insides and most of the bloody flesh is gone. I freaked out when i first saw this. didn't know what to do it happened over and over so i said F it and let them loose, I lost
    about 10 chicks that way. Another thing they would do as early as 1 to 2 weeks old would be to bit eachothers toes till blood came out then they would not stop till the toe was gone and the blood stopped. To these when i noticed their bloody toes I got a small piece of tape and wrapped it around the injured toe(clean it 1st), then the chicks would stop pecking at it. This year I showed 2 birds that had there outside toe of their left leg missing. People would laugh at me and ask me if that is my new system of marking my birds, HAHA They won! they weren't laughing after they picked up their rat. All in all the best ting to do is let them loose and when they continue to fight separate them. ?U wanted fight birds, Right. Well u got em!!!HAHA

another good trick put blue kote or vapor rub wherever the chicks are pecking, they should stop they do not like the taste!! good luck KPMCRWN
    Last edited by gabrl; April 21st, 2007 at 07:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cannibalism
    A Vice Of Chickens,turkeys And Gamebirds Reared In Captivity,characterized By Varying Degrees Of Tissue Loos From Picking Of The Vent,toes,feathers Or Around The Head.predisposing Factors Include Overcrowding,excessive Light And Temperature.,insufficient Or Improperly Placed Feeder Or Drinking Space,nutritional Imbalances Including Mineral Deficiencies.feeding Only Pelleted Feed Or Concentrated Feed,feeding High Caloric Diets Heavy On Corn Or Low Fiber Grains Or Injuries.
    Feather Picking Which May Be So Severeas To Cause Fetal Hemorrhage ,can Occur In Any Age Of Bird.toe Picking Generally Ocuurs In Young Chicks Started On Paper,while Head Picking Occurs In Older Birds.nose Picking Can Be Serious Problem In Young Quail.vent Picking Can Cause Serious Losses Due To Hemmorhage In Your Turkey And In Laying Hen Starting Egg Production.
    The Incidence Of Cannibalism Can Be Reduced By Proper Husbandry ,but Under Some Conditions And With Some Strains Of Bird,it Can Be Prevented Only Beak Trimmin For Proper Control Half Of The Upper Beak And Tip Of The Lower Beak Should Be Removed.cautery Is Generally Necessary To Prevent Excessive Bleeding .beak Trimming Is Stressful And Should Be Done By Care.it Can Be Done At 1 Day Of Age Or Any Subsequent Age.if Done During Egg Production It May Reduce The Number Of Eggs Produced.
    But For Our Price Birds Isolation Is Needed Right Away And Applying Antipicking Solution Is The Affected Area.

Post Thanks / Like

limited space + large quantity of chicks = big big problem

limited space + limited number of chicks = no problem

Post Thanks / Like

how old are the cicks when they start to peck at each other?
    are they still in the brooder? if there in the brooder try using a red light ,they cant see the color of the blood.

where are the chicks living in?

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: chicks pecking each other

That's also may problem right now they are not only pecking each other but pullets hen
    and stags are pecking on them that cause wounds and laceration in their skin on body
    head and wings and if unnoticed they will eventually die so follow the good advice of our
    friends here and be prepared to become an instant CHICK PHYSICIAN you must have
    a MEDICINE KIT complete with medicines and instruments to operate sew apply medicines
    and close wounds for them to have speedy recovery especially the male ones!!!

Post Thanks / Like

put salt on their drinking water and dangle someleaf so they can divert their attention,one of the causes of this is they are bored.hope this help

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reyes23
    how old are the cicks when they start to peck at each other?
    are they still in the brooder? if there in the brooder try using a red light ,they cant see the color of the blood.

where are the chicks living in?
    they are not in the brooder anymore, just in the backyard.