Thread: short knife

gabriel23

Question short knife

what's the best bloodline for mexican knife or
    what's the best cross?
    thanks for any help

Bobwhite
    gabriel23

any line that works well in LK will work well in SK, with the exception of Hatch lines that are very popular for SK.

Brian

gabriel23

kelso

i have a 1/4 grey 1/4 hatch 1/2kelso cock
    what should i cross it with for a short knife?
    thanks for any help

Bobwhite
    It doesn't matter. The old time cocker never named their fowl, they just bred to good fowl all the time. I would find the best hen you can get your hands on and breed to her. Grey, Hatch, Kelso it doesn't matter. It looks better on paper if it was a pure Hatch Grey or Kelso but in the pit the best fowl wins. BUT, after listening to all that, my choice would be either a Hatch or Kelso. That should narrow down your search.

I've got a few good Hatch pullets if your interested, email me.

gabriel23

thanks

thanks a lot bobwhite for your help
    i know the kelsos are good for long knife
    but i have not seen them fighting with short knife
    they are smart and cutters same as greys i just want to add speed and game.
    thanks bobwhite.

Bobwhite
    No problem.

Kelsos are great SK fowl. Speed and cut, thats what it takes to win.

gabriel23

bobwhite

bobwhite for you what's the best cross or pure bloodline for mexican knife?
    thanks for your help

Bobwhite
    The most popular ones are usually Hatch, Kelsos, Greys, Roundheads, Clarets, Brownreds, Albanys, and any other strain with speed and cut.

Brian

gabriel23

pure?

thanks bobwhite thos bloodlines should be better pure or crossed?

Bobwhite
    They're uaually fought crossed but don't mean they can't do it pure.

gabriel23

opinion

i decided for sweter/albany or sweter/kelso
    in your experience bobwhite which one you would pick?
    thanks.

Bobwhite
    Both, hehehehe

If they nick well either one will be very competitive. I'm breeding some Sweater/Albanys next year myself.

Brian

gabriel23

sweter

hi bobwhite how you doing?
    do you know who has the best sweters in USA?
    imean what farm ?
    i only know black water farms has sweters
    who has the purest sweters?
    thanks

Bobwhite
    There is a lot of good Sweaters out there. They have been spread to the four winds by every breeder out there, just look around the corner and you will find some. I obtained mine from a friend in Oregon who had been breeding them for a while. Mine are of a James Pope line, there are so many lines of Sweaters out there. Blackwater Farms, Slicklizard Farms, Johnny Jumper, Newton Wade, Gypsy Farms, Jame Pope, Bruce Barnett, Boles...and many, many more. Your just as good off with a good line of Kelsos too. Its just a name, the breeders above have had theirs for many years and all sell great quality birds. If I were to buy some all over again I would probably go to Blackwater, I'd want to pick them out myself though, he sends so many over seas how do I know I'm getting good ones and not just the leftovers?, no offence to the breeder. I'm just very picky that way.

I don't know anything about purest Sweaters, they all been crossed or something infused in them at one point in time or another. With there popularity the way it has been the past few years your gonna pay for the good ones, it won't be anything cheap.

Good luck in whatever you do.

gabriel23

vaccines

hi bobwhite, i have some eggs hatching on my incubator
    after they hatch what vaccines do i apply 'em or how many days should i wait?
    i made my brooder with the heting lamp and thermostat.
    thanks

Bobwhite
    I'd do a search on that one. I've never vaccinated a bird in my life. I keep it as natural as possible.

If a little case of the pox hurts him...get my drift?

gabriel23

better

for you which cross is better sweter/kelso sweter/albany or roundhead/claret?
    for 1" knife?

atcarter
    let your chicks get a few weeks in age, and go to your feed store and get them to give you some vaccines for common fowl diseases. i got one that you mix with another chemical, dip the needle in it, and poke it in the flap of skin under their wings, very simple, they've never gotten sick

Bobwhite
    All of them sound good, but its not the name that makes the bird. Take your best individuals and breed them, wait till 14-18 months and test them. Thats the only way to find out, trial and error.

I cannot discuss which works best for me because fighting is illegal in my state therefore how would I know what works best? Get the drift?

Good luck to you.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

if i had to pick between those it would be a sweater albany i myself prefer a sweater radio cross sweater round head for the l/k

p.s the purest sweaters are dark in color... the pumpkin (light color) was made by adding radio years ago which dosent hurt them at all

gabriel23

s/k

thanks kenny but i'm looking the best cross for the short knife

Post Thanks / Like
    hey bro sorry i wrote that wrong i mean i like the sweater r/h cross for the l/k and the rest in s/k also a sweater /yl or gl hatch works great in s/k but what do i know im a gaff man so its just my humble opinion hope ive helped

your friend kenny

gabriel23

difference

can you guys explain me what's the diference between those
    bloodlines?
    example:
    kelso: smart, cutter

gabriel23

supplement

what's the best injectable for a cock ready for the fight to accelerate ,speed and make it angry?

gabriel23
    what do you guys recomend?

Bobwhite
    Bloodlines are just families. Each family is different that the other ever though they carry the same name. Go by the breeder, not the name. This man's Kelsos may be different than that man's. This guy's Sweaters may be different that the guy's over there, etc...

I recomend not using any kind of injectable except a vitmin type. Doping up your birds won't get you anywhere. Those Harold Brown fowl have been tearing it up for 100 years without dope. 365 days a year care and a good keep is all you need to be competative.

Brian
    Peace River Game Farm

gabriel23
    hey bobwhite i have herd alot of good things about gene brown"s hatch is he related to harold brown?

Bobwhite
    I don't believe so.

Brian

gabriel23

radio

have you guys tried radio fowl do they fight better pure or crossed for the short knife?
    thanks

Black Jerezano

sk

pumpkin fowl are rare but very fast and med-high breakers. my friend is crossing his pumpkin with a spanish to add some harder hitting power to the cross. these crosses weigh 3-5lbs and are very fast, agile, hard hitters. thats what i've seen from his fowl.