Thread: Bruner Men

Post Thanks / Like

Bruner Men

The gentleman on the far right - Burl Chambers, the contrary looking fellow holding the red ribbon - Larry Morris. lol

http://sabong.net.ph/gallery/data/50...ultry_Show.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bruner Men

Cotton, I still have Larry's Brunner RH (about 8 years old). We crossed them with the Hugh Norman Lacy and the produce was very quick (it can cut across the pit in a flash) but did not really campaign the crosses. And, I want to refresh them, do you have any suggestions? thanks-Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Morris has done well with them crossed on hatch, leiper of doug davis and mclean. Doug is in that picture as well.
    If Larry's Bruner was what you was wanting then I'd get them from the source, last I heard he was going to quit the sport.

4. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    whiteleggedred

HI cotton,this looks like the poultry show in Miss were gene batia,norland blount,etc were in attendance.Is larry,Bill & doug also from Miss?What's the difference with both of their brunners?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys,

I am I beginner and have a pair of Brunner.

It seems they need refreshing.

If you guys don't mind sharing the tel no. of Doug Davis or Larry.

Maybe I can buy a stag or pullet

Pls pm it to me.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys, let's keep this thread going. The Bruner Rh strain along with the Allen's, are two of the most versatile of all Rh's and at the same time, some of the least discussed about. This strain was one of the most closely guarded and tightly kept by a few breeders, until a few years ago. The more that it is brought to the light about them, the better that they are understood. I am inviting MTHOMPSON, bigjohnson77, J007, Bama Red, Jim Clem, Joe Lewis, hitmonkey, and others to participate more proactively in the different RH threads in Sabong.

YFIS

yunke8888

FIS----Let's keep the RH threads alive and lively, there is a lot to be learned about them.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's Keep it alive guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Did any body still around, meet any of the old timers that kept the strain going
    from Cowan & T K Brunner to the present? There were very few who got them
    straight from the source and most would hardly part with anything.

yunke8888

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy, Jack Smith got them direct from Willis Holden when TK Brunner sent them to Willis when he got sick, Jack was partners with Willis pitting fowl for him. Willis gifted the fowl to Jack along with the letter from Brunner on their breeding. Jack Gifted them to Larry Morris mentioned in above post in 1966. Jack gifted them to me in 1996. Jack Smith and I went to Larry morris's house in 2000 Larry gifted me picking choice of a pair and Jack Smith hand picked them for me. I have bred them pure and together ever since. I also have a friend In Wv who maintains the Burl chambers side. The letter says they are 1/2 alabama rh (Cowan) 1/4 gull 1/4 Lohman/Lowman White hackle at the time Willis Holden received them.
    Last edited by Chad Bolan; December 28th, 2016 at 05:46 AM.

11. Thanks Genis, Engkanto thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Bolan View Post
    My buddy, Jack Smith got them direct from Willis Holden when TK Brunner sent them to Willis when he got sick, Jack was partners with Willis pitting fowl for him. Willis gifted the fowl to Jack along with the letter from Brunner on their breeding. Jack Gifted them to Larry Morris mentioned in above post in 1966. Jack gifted them to me in 1996. Jack Smith and I went to Larry morris's house in 2000 Larry gifted me picking choice of a pair and Jack Smith hand picked them for me. I have bred them pure and together ever since. I also have a friend In Wv who maintains the Burl chambers side. The letter says they are 1/2 alabama rh (Cowan) 1/4 gull 1/4 Lohman/Lowman White hackle at the time Willis Holden received them.
    Nice post Chad. I have a question for you sir since you were very close to Jack Smith (may he rest in Peace). My friend Jim Bond and his former partner Joe Lewis said the pullet they got from Jack several years ago was kind of spangle. They were suppose to be the Billy Abbot line of Bruner. Do you know if those Bruner also come spangles? I was thinking the old whitehackle blood in them is where the spangle from (just my guess). Jim said they got a few pullets with white over the years but not enough to call them spangles. Just curious because were trying to breed to spangle side years ago as party of our small project ( I had some George Wood Lacys that come spangles and we are trying to blend the 2 RH families to create a spangle blend).

Thanks for any info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Engkanto View Post
    Nice post Chad. I have a question for you sir since you were very close to Jack Smith (may he rest in Peace). My friend Jim Bond and his former partner Joe Lewis said the pullet they got from Jack several years ago was kind of spangle. They were suppose to be the Billy Abbot line of Bruner. Do you know if those Bruner also come spangles? I was thinking the old whitehackle blood in them is where the spangle from (just my guess). Jim said they got a few pullets with white over the years but not enough to call them spangles. Just curious because were trying to breed to spangle side years ago as party of our small project ( I had some George Wood Lacys that come spangles and we are trying to blend the 2 RH families to create a spangle blend).

Thanks for any info.
    I visited Joe Lewis with a friend of mine from on here JCJ Farms who still breeds the Joe Lewis Bruner (Abbott Line) he might be able to help answer some of your questions regarding Joes fowl. Joe didn't have many when we went but i do not remember any of the stags or cocks being spangle. He didn't have many pullets at all but i think one was spangle.

14. Thanks Genis, Engkanto thanked for this post
    Likes Engkanto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for any info.
    Engkanto, they can throw a spangle once in a blue moon. Jack originally gifted the Brunner fowl to Billy Abbott so at the beginning there was no difference in the fowl. However Jack said Billy blended lacy into his brunners just as he blended brunners into his lacys. The Abbott line you are referring to was Brunner with a lacy infusion according to Jack. Jack bred these for awhile but said he never infused them into his old brunners as he felt as good of a cross as the 2 made, it changed the look and style of the brunner. Jack always said it was night and day difference in a brunner and a lacy. The lacys being a streamlined built type cock with an aggressive style that was pretty to look at. The brunners was a smart side stepping cock with an offbeat style, that was course in body are usually short to medium in shank with long thighs that where large in size broad backs, as Jack would say not really pretty to look at. The brunners show alot of oriental traits when compared to the lacys.

16. Thanks Genis, Engkanto thanked for this post
    Likes KAHUNA NO KA OI, Engkanto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They will come spangle on occasion but not often, Morris had never had any come yellow leg but he let his boy take some to turn out at his place and he raised a couple yellow legs the first year (different ground) one of the traits the jack smith, larry morris, burl chambers burners have that seperates them from the others is the blue legs. Chad is right they do show signs or oriental, in my opinion the dark blue legged cocks remind me of a jap.

18. Thanks Genis, Engkanto thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trueedge View Post
    I visited Joe Lewis with a friend of mine from on here JCJ Farms who still breeds the Joe Lewis Bruner (Abbott Line) he might be able to help answer some of your questions regarding Joes fowl. Joe didn't have many when we went but i do not remember any of the stags or cocks being spangle. He didn't have many pullets at all but i think one was spangle.
    Thank you sir trueedge. I heard the same thing about Joe not breeding a lot anymore due to health reasons. I think another friend/partner is still breeding some of his birds including the Brassback Albanies. Even his former partner Jim is not in the best of health. It’s sad but that’s the reality, and we all are heading in that direction. We can only hope that our birds that we took years to develop will continue to live even when we are gone.
    But anyway, I think Chad already answered some of my questions. But of course, any new information is always good. Thanks again my friend.

20. Likes trueedge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
    They will come spangle on occasion but not often, Morris had never had any come yellow leg but he let his boy take some to turn out at his place and he raised a couple yellow legs the first year (different ground) one of the traits the jack smith, larry morris, burl chambers burners have that seperates them from the others is the blue legs. Chad is right they do show signs or oriental, in my opinion the dark blue legged cocks remind me of a jap.
    Thanks for the additional info sir Cotton. I heard the same thing from Joe about the Blue legs. I think I remember him saying if you get a blue legged pullet, then you know you have the true Bruners or something like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Engkanto, they can throw a spangle once in a blue moon. Jack originally gifted the Brunner fowl to Billy Abbott so at the beginning there was no difference in the fowl. However Jack said Billy blended lacy into his brunners just as he blended brunners into his lacys. The Abbott line you are referring to was Brunner with a lacy infusion according to Jack. Jack bred these for awhile but said he never infused them into his old brunners as he felt as good of a cross as the 2 made, it changed the look and style of the brunner. Jack always said it was night and day difference in a brunner and a lacy. The lacys being a streamlined built type cock with an aggressive style that was pretty to look at. The brunners was a smart side stepping cock with an offbeat style, that was course in body are usually short to medium in shank with long thighs that where large in size broad backs, as Jack would say not really pretty to look at. The brunners show alot of oriental traits when compared to the lacys.
    Thank you very much Chad for this valuable information. You described the kind of Lacy I had to a T. They were too aggressive and that’s the reason I didn’t breed a lot of them until I lost the line (only have a few Bruner/Lacy blends left). The Billy Abbot Bruner Jim sent me are kind of small to medium. The hens really are small, just like giant pigeons, if that make sense, LOL… But I like the Bruner style much better than the Lacys.

Now I understand why Jim wanted to use my spangle Lacy blood into his Bruners to create our RH blend (which was similar to what Joe and Jim started with). Our RH project is going 6 years now and the goal is to create a family of good looking RHs that will be suitable for PI type of shows. But after I lost the Lacy line a couple years ago, I’m making a lot of adjustments with whatever is left with me. Jim will soon stop breeding due to health reasons but I will continue what we started 6 years ago (he always tell me he wants to make this as his last contribution to our sport and if given the chance he like to see them perform in PI, God willing).

Thanks again Chad for the info. I’m sure I will have a few questions for you later, .

Here are a few old pictures of my GW Lacy brood cock, the first trio of Bruners from Jim and some of our Lacy/Bruner blend:

Last edited by Engkanto; December 29th, 2016 at 12:26 AM. Reason: spelling

23. Thanks Genis thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really like the looks of those stags in the 3rd picture. Good job.

25. Thanks Engkanto thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Engkanto they look good. Another breeder who thought highly of the lacy/brunner cross was Mr. Carl Davis of Alabama. I read many letters that was exchanged between Jack Smith and Carl Davis on the blending of the of the two lines. Carl wrote to Jack on more than one occasion stating he felt the lacy/brunner cocks was in his opinion better battle cocks and better brood cocks than either a pure lacy or pure brunner. He also stated the lacy/brunner hens was better brood hens than a pure hen of either side. I found that to be quite interesting and quite significant also. I also was able to talk in depth with the man who fed these cocks for Carl Davis, and he agreed the lacy/brunner cock was far superior and was a real formidable pit cock. Seems the lacy/brunner cross has been a success by more than one man on more than one occasion. I myself maintain a family of lacys, actually they are 3/4 lacy 1/4 brunner. I call them lacys and I use those cocks over brunner hens, for a battle cross.
    Last edited by Chad Bolan; December 29th, 2016 at 01:13 AM.

27. Thanks Engkanto, Genis thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

boston, jarret brunner, and allen rh are in our yard back home....I want to be a brunner man....but here I got another roundhead stags for christmas...

just lifting up this thread....brunner blood is new to us!

Post Thanks / Like

Engkanto they look good. Another breeder who thought highly of the lacy/brunner cross was Mr. Carl Davis of Alabama. I read many letters that was exchanged between Jack Smith and Carl Davis on the blending of the of the two lines. Carl wrote to Jack on more than one occasion stating he felt the lacy/brunner cocks was in his opinion better battle cocks and better brood cocks than either a pure lacy or pure brunner. He also stated the lacy/brunner hens was better brood hens than a pure hen of either side. I found that to be quite interesting and quite significant also. I also was able to talk in depth with the man who fed these cocks for Carl Davis, and he agreed the lacy/brunner cock was far superior and was a real formidable pit cock. Seems the lacy/brunner cross has been a success by more than one man on more than one occasion. I myself maintain a family of lacys, actually they are 3/4 lacy 1/4 brunner. I call them lacys and I use those cocks over brunner hens, for a battle cross.
    Thank you Chad for the nice comments and for the additional info. I will try to remember what you said here about the Lacy/Bruner blend.

I'm breeding towards the Bruner side and I'm starting to like the 3/4Bruner-1/4 Lacy so far. The 1/2-1/2 are a bit high-strung (a few of them) so I'm very careful selecting what to breed back to the Bruners.

Thanks again my friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you sir trueedge. I heard the same thing about Joe not breeding a lot anymore due to health reasons. I think another friend/partner is still breeding some of his birds including the Brassback Albanies. Even his former partner Jim is not in the best of health. It’s sad but that’s the reality, and we all are heading in that direction. We can only hope that our birds that we took years to develop will continue to live even when we are gone.
    But anyway, I think Chad already answered some of my questions. But of course, any new information is always good. Thanks again my friend.
    Not a problem. Just thought I would share the little I know about the Bruners. I like that line quite a bit. I still think about trying some more in the future. Take care.

YFIS

Will

31. Likes Engkanto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much Chad for this valuable information. You described the kind of Lacy I had to a T. They were too aggressive and that’s the reason I didn’t breed a lot of them until I lost the line (only have a few Bruner/Lacy blends left). The Billy Abbot Bruner Jim sent me are kind of small to medium. The hens really are small, just like giant pigeons, if that make sense, LOL… But I like the Bruner style much better than the Lacys.

Now I understand why Jim wanted to use my spangle Lacy blood into his Bruners to create our RH blend (which was similar to what Joe and Jim started with). Our RH project is going 6 years now and the goal is to create a family of good looking RHs that will be suitable for PI type of shows. But after I lost the Lacy line a couple years ago, I’m making a lot of adjustments with whatever is left with me. Jim will soon stop breeding due to health reasons but I will continue what we started 6 years ago (he always tell me he wants to make this as his last contribution to our sport and if given the chance he like to see them perform in PI, God willing).

Thanks again Chad for the info. I’m sure I will have a few questions for you later, .

Here are a few old pictures of my GW Lacy brood cock, the first trio of Bruners from Jim and some of our Lacy/Bruner blend:

They look great...Thanks for sharing the pictures

33. Thanks Engkanto thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The one thing out of place about my brunner fowl is the nervousness. My brunner fowl have never been high strung nervous type fowl. The first pair from Jack or the pair from Larry Morris. Both pair produced good calm individuals that are gentle to handle and a pleasure to work with. This is completely out of the norm from what others have experienced with them. I am not complaining in the least as I do not like nervous fowl. My friend in Wv who breeds the Burl Chambers blood asked for me to send him a cock. I sent him a little double brother sister bred blue legged cock. He called the other night talking about how calm the stags and pullets are out of him, he said he had ever had brunners so calm. I will say this though Jack stressed he. ever put a high strung cock or hen in the brood pen and disposed of them when he got one. I have not bred them as long as some, I will have bred them coming up on 21 years in 2017 but I have bred them long enough to know them fairly well. I use the brunner hen heavily under about anything my favorite being the asil cock over brunner hens.

35. Thanks Engkanto thanked for this post
    Likes Bloodsport, Stringer3, Engkanto liked this post