Thread: Proper after combat care

ECHOMIKE

Proper after combat care

Doc. I have heard of so many methods of caring for our wounded warriors after battle...some that makes sense and others that is just plain nonsense...as a veterinarian, I would like to know what your expert opinion is on this subject. My questions are:

What type of medicatiobs/vitamins and feed to give?
    How long do you have to wait until they can be fed and watered?
    What is the length of time that they should be on this care program?
    How to care for birds with minor wounds? major wounds?

I've heard of so many victorious birds whose death were blamed on caretakers not following directions for giving the birds proper care...but some of those directions they are directed to follow does not make sense, and the owners themselves should be blamed. I hope you can clear some of my confusion on this matter. Thanks Doc!

Accredited Merchant tjtcokngacademy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Proper after combat care

The first topic I would like to touch on, as I have observed that it hasn't been discussed in this site, is POST BATTLE CARE. We should provide our fowl the proper post battle care they deserve after winning a fight.
    There are 2 kinds of wounds- superficial wounds and internal wounds. These wounds, if not given the right treatment, can lead to permanent injury or even the death of our valued fighters.
    I would like to focus on the wrong procedures done in the cockpit and how to handle them. The quack doctors (manggagamot) in the cockpit use big threads/upholstery silk threads for suturing the wounds. As a responsible owner, you may provide the pit doctors with surgical sutures that you can purchase in Mercury Drugstore. For the superficial wounds you may use Ethicon suture size 3-0. Internal wounds require absorbable chromic gut sutures. You will also have to remind the manggagamots to be careful and not to suture the muscles together with the skin. After suturing, put an antiseptic agent like betadine or scarlet oil.
    Another wrong practice is the use of oral penicillin tablets crushed and applied directly to the wound. I recommend that you use Ampicin injectable injected intramuscularly. The dosage is 1cc per bird and should be given between 3-5 consecutive days depending on the injury.
    Excessive bleeding can be stopped by giving Hemostan capsule 500mg (human drug) or Bloodseal (veterinary drug).
    Food and water intake will depend on the gravity of the injury.

To be continued.

Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; July 27th, 2007 at 09:06 PM.
    TJT Cocking Academy

3. Thanks apache2a thanked for this post
    ECHOMIKE

Re: Proper after combat care

Thanks for that informative reply Doc, I look forward to learning more from you on this matter. Its good to get quality information from a professional doctor as oppose to someone who cannot give a thorough explanation as to how and why our fowl benefit from certain medications and practices. Although they mean well...and I truly respect their opinion...but following their advice at times have caused more harm than good to our fowl.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Battle Care

For superficial wounds, feeding may commence one day after the fight with soft diet and this may be formulated by mixing 25% pellets, 25% egg whites and 50% cooked rice. Moisten the mixture with milk. When the wounds heal, revert to your regular feed.
    For major injuries (deeper wounds), provide only electrolytes (ad libitum) on the first day. If the crop or the upper digestive tract are wounded, withhold feed for 5 days and give only electrolytes (3 dips a day). You may give Gerber food using a catheter ( tube feeding) as taught in the academy. Soft diet should be given for about a month before resuming to their regular feeding.

To be continued.
    Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; July 30th, 2007 at 02:40 PM.
    TJT Cocking Academy

6. Thanks apache2a thanked for this post
    ECHOMIKE

Doc, I heard of some cockers giving their fowl pain relievers(aspirin/baby tylenol) after battle to help relieve their pain and discomfort, is that okay? Do you recommend this method?

Post Thanks / Like

Doc, Thank You again for another of your most informative answers a big help to us all i'm sure... more info please Doc......
    Last edited by sogod_rh; September 13th, 2007 at 03:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Very informative Thread Doc.

Buti na lang medyo nakalinya ang post battle care administration ko to what you are teaching.

Thanks again Doc and keep it coming.

P.S.

Doc your thread and atty. bombit's on conditioning helps me a lot in preparing for my fights last weekend. It gives me positive result 2 wins 0 loss. Please accept my deepest gratitude.

More power doc

Post Thanks / Like

D Man

Congratulations!!! You're the Man.
    TJT Cocking Academy

Post Thanks / Like

doc, what will i do when my battlecock was hit in the back of his head? the problem is like this, his ok, eat will but when i spar him he is acting like he was attack by epilipsi. what will i administer him? a vitamins, what kind?

thanks doc n more power to you.....

Post Thanks / Like

Doctor, if a cock's stomach or gut/ intestine is completely severed, can it be reattached and will the stomach woumd/ intestine heal? Thanks doc.

Post Thanks / Like

totong_9

Quote from totong_9:
    doc, what will i do when my battlecock was hit in the back of his head? the problem is like this, his ok, eat will but when i spar him he is acting like he was attack by epilipsi. what will i administer him? a vitamins, what kind?

thanks doc n more power to you.....

Sometimes, serious head injuries can cause permanent damage....In your rooster's case, a delicate nerve in the head region may have been hit and this might be the reason for the involuntary twitches or epileptic like seizures whenever he is agitated. His recovery will mainly depend on the severity of his injury.
    Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; October 28th, 2007 at 11:17 AM.
    TJT Cocking Academy

Post Thanks / Like

eastcoast

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast
    Doctor, if a cock's stomach or gut/ intestine is completely severed, can it be reattached and will the stomach woumd/ intestine heal? Thanks doc.

You have to use a Chromic CatGut (size 5-0) to suture the severed intestines, back together. Complete dietary restrictions and an antibiotic therapy should be followed for his recovery.
    Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; October 28th, 2007 at 11:30 AM.
    TJT Cocking Academy

Post Thanks / Like

doc, what are the instruments and meds. needed to do the surgical operation of our wounded cock.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ALAB 1223 View Post
    doc, what are the instruments and meds. needed to do the surgical operation of our wounded cock.
    anybody knows or actually doing it?

Post Thanks / Like

Kapatid ko ginagawa ito dahil me medical experience siya. Ang kelangan ay:

Cat Gut sutures (kasama na ang curve needle doon)
    Betadine
    Penicillin

Yun lang nakita ko. Sa manggagamot ganoon din nakikita ko pero sinulid ginagamit instead of cat gut sutures.

Post Thanks / Like

Kulang pa pala ng gunting na pangputol sa balahibo ng manok, bulak na pangtanggal ng dugo, at yung mahabang clip na parang gunting para mahawakan ang bulak na panglinis ng dugo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ubb6793 View Post
    Kulang pa pala ng gunting na pangputol sa balahibo ng manok, bulak na pangtanggal ng dugo, at yung mahabang clip na parang gunting para mahawakan ang bulak na panglinis ng dugo.
    thanks bro

Post Thanks / Like

i am new to the sport and only been to one fight tomorrow will be the first time i enter any birds i read all the discussions on here and have learned alot as far as conditioning and care for my fowl but nothing really tells me what i need to do after a fight please inform me of some techniques you use thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Proper after combat care

1)Cotton balls / cotton tip applicator ( for deeper wounds)
    2)sutures, non absorbable for external wound : absorbable for internal wound
    3)antiseptics ( povidone iodine & agua oxinada--- for cleansing the skin surface)
    4)scissors ( preferably surgical scissors or bandage scissors)
    5) kelly forceps(straight) & tissue forceps > straight kelly for the needle and the tissue forceps to hold the skin , muscle etc... while suturing

tip: watch some videos about suturing and how to use the kelly and tissue forceps, it would be abig help!! sana makatulong
    Last edited by sartegenio; May 14th, 2012 at 09:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

We wash head feet and legs. Give penecillin and spray mouth out or dop with a q.tip with chloraseptic .

Post Thanks / Like

Been "arguing" with oldschoolers about letting the battle wounded gamefowl drink small amounts of water with some electrolytes. According to them, they should not be given anything but antibiotic (ex. Amoxicillin caps). I cringe and couldnt imagine no food and water for fowls for a week! And these are wounds up to mucles only, Not intestines. ����

Post Thanks / Like

I was taught dry birds heal faster antibiotics only nothing else to third day depending how severe if it's really bad put them down