Thread: Airconditioned Cockhouse Query for Doc TJT

top_signature

Airconditioned Cockhouse Query for Doc TJT

Hi Doc TJT,

I have couple of queries in my mind about an airconditioned cockhouse and keeping using an airconditioned cockhouse...

a) What is the right Horse Power for an aircon cockhouse with certain Length Width and Height of the Cockhouse? Can you give us an example of the size of the cokhouse that you used from your experience and the power rating of the airconditioning unit that was installed?

b) What is the right Temperature and Humidity inside the cockhouse?

c) When do I need a dehumidifier?

d) What are the points to observe from a rooster that's been in the airconditioned cockhouse during the keep?

e) Do I need my battlefowls to be in the airconditioned cockhouse throughout the 21 day keep or do I need to train them to be there even during the pre-conditioning stage?

f) Is there a maximum hrs that my battlefowls needed to be in my airconditioned cockhouse?

thanks in advance for your tips and replies...

cheers and more power to you doc...

armin

Accredited Merchant tjtcokngacademy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Airconditioned Cockhouse Query for Doc TJT

a) What is the right Horse Power for an aircon cockhouse with certain Length Width and Height of the Cockhouse? Can you give us an example of the size of the cokhouse that you used from your experience and the power rating of the airconditioning unit that was installed?
    My cockhouse is constructed with 4 rooms. One room is for the limbering pen and fly pen. I have a separate room for my handlers & caretakers and a private rooom for myself.
    Then I have a special room designed for holding 16 resting stalls.
    I prefer to put my roosters in a separate room so that they are not affected by the movement from the handlers and to prevent the fluctuation of the temperature inside the room.

The airconditioner in the room for the resting stalls is one half horsepower. The size of the room is approximately 20X30.
    I use an airconditioner that has a digital temperature guage because it is easier to adjust the temperature. The room is equipped with a dehumidifier, a thermometer and a hygrometer. The most comfortable temperature for them is 72-74 degrees Fahrenheit while the humidity level would be around 69%-72%.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ncockhouse.jpg

The dehumidifier is used to remove the excess moisture in the room and in order for you to control the humidity in its right level.
    d) What are the points to observe from a rooster that's been in the airconditioned cockhouse during the keep?
    One important aspect to observe is their feathers. If you were able to maintain the sheen and texture of their feathers all throughout the day, then everything is perfect.
    Once you observe that the feathers became rough before fight time then their performance won't be as good as expected.

One particular sign that I don't want to observe on fight day are those birds with cold nostrils because they would definitely have a hard time in the pit.

e) Do I need my battlefowls to be in the airconditioned cockhouse throughout the 21 day keep or do I need to train them to be there even during the pre-conditioning stage?
    It is essential to have an airconditioned cockhouse in your game farm. Putting them there daily for 2 hours will make them get used to being kept in a controlled cockhouse.

I have observed that roosters that were rested in an airconditioned cockhouse for only half a day perform poorly in the pit. I always have good results with chickens that were kept for more than a day but not exceeding 2 days. But don't forget to limber them outside the cockhouse once in a while.

There are other factors but it is difficult to explain through writing. We can discuss this further in the academy.
    Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; August 25th, 2007 at 08:05 AM.
    TJT Cocking Academy
    March 19, 20 & 21

Bal city

very good info!

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread.You are an asset to this site and the whole sport.Keep on keeping on.

,Zac

top_signature

Quote Originally Posted by tjtcokngacademy
    My cockhouse is constructed with 4 rooms. One room is for the limbering pen and fly pen. I have a separate room for my handlers & caretakers and a private rooom for myself.
    Then I have a special room designed for holding 16 resting stalls.
    I prefer to put my roosters in a separate room so that they are not affected by the movement from the handlers and to prevent the fluctuation of the temperature inside the room.

The airconditioner in the room for the resting stalls is one half horsepower. The size of the room is approximately 20X30.
    I use an airconditioner that has a digital temperature guage because it is easier to adjust the temperature. The room is equipped with a dehumidifier, a thermometer and a hygrometer. The most comfortable temperature for them is 72-74 degrees Fahrenheit while the humidity level would be around 69%-72%.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ncockhouse.jpg

The dehumidifier is used to remove the excess moisture in the room and in order for you to control the humidity in its right level.
    One important aspect to observe is their feathers. If you were able to maintain the sheen and texture of their feathers all throughout the day, then everything is perfect.
    Once you observe that the feathers became rough before fight time then their performance won't be as good as expected.

One particular sign that I don't want to observe on fight day are those birds with cold nostrils because they would definitely have a hard time in the pit.

It is essential to have an airconditioned cockhouse in your game farm. Putting them there daily for 2 hours will make them get used to being kept in a controlled cockhouse.

I have observed that roosters that were rested in an airconditioned cockhouse for only half a day perform poorly in the pit. I always have good results with chickens that were kept for more than a day but not exceeding 2 days. But don't forget to limber them outside the cockhouse once in a while.

There are other factors but it is difficult to explain through writing. We can discuss this further in the academy.

Great reply doc tjt. I am planning to have a small airconditioned cockhouse that will allow only maximum of 10 cooping stalls with the size of 4 Meters Width x 4 Meters Length @ 8 Feet High Ceiling. I planned that the 10 cooping stalls are all closed with just a small 1/2 inch x 4 inches hole and are to be placed inside the aircon cockhouse. Again thank you for your informative reply. I love to attend in your cocking academy and I'll see if I can make it when I get there if not this October then early next year. But I have another handler coming from Bacolod by this end of the month and planning to send him to your academy and I'll just verify all my derby schedules for the stag season so I can avoid conflicts during conditioning and keep.

more power doc!

cheers!
    Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; August 25th, 2007 at 08:06 AM.

top_signature

Doc couple more queries, Is it possible during the 3 day keep that I'll put the cocks in the airconditioned room then limber them outside for their droppings or Do I need to have them inside the airconditioned room as well when limbering for their drops...

again thanks a lot!

cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

If you plan to keep them inside your airconditioned cockhouse for 3 days, it would be best to put them in a limbering pen with a matting outside (15-20min) every morning to give them a chance to breathe some fresh air and enjoy the morning sun.
    However, I don't recommend that you do this in the afternoon especially when it's hot and humid because it would ruin your pointing.
    During the rest of the day, I limber them every 3 hours inside the cockhouse just to give them a chance to drop and to stretch & to 'loosen up'. Thus, preventing them from being coop stale.
    Remember to avoid too much fluctuations in the humidity reading and temperature inside the room. As quoted by Atty Bombit Abad..."the best barometer is not the thermometer nor the hygrometer but the reaction of the birds".
    Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; August 25th, 2007 at 08:07 AM.
    TJT Cocking Academy
    March 19, 20 & 21

Post Thanks / Like

regards..............

Post Thanks / Like

Airconditioned Cockhouse

Click here to view:
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...t/IMG_1634.jpg
    Roosters that are kept inside an airconditioned cockhouse should be limbered every 3 hours to prevent them from coop staleness.
    Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; September 1st, 2007 at 09:10 AM.
    TJT Cocking Academy
    March 19, 20 & 21

Post Thanks / Like

Temperature and Humidity

Click here to view:
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...t/IMG_1646.jpg
    You need to monitor the temperature and humidity with a reliable apparatus to maintain their comfort zone.
    TJT Cocking Academy
    March 19, 20 & 21

Post Thanks / Like

Great looking cockhouse!!! Puts most to shame , very clean.

,Zac

Post Thanks / Like

A nice cockhouse should be painted white enamel so that the glare in the walls......would "train his eyes" to get used to the "bright lights"...... he would expect..... in the pit.
    Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; September 3rd, 2007 at 10:32 AM.
    TJT Cocking Academy
    March 19, 20 & 21

top_signature

Your cockhouse is very nice and clean Doc....cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Doc TJT,

Assuming i don't have one or my dehumidifier and humidifier broke while in the pit, what emergency steps should i do to maintain the desired (69-72 %) humidity of a climate controlled cockhouse ? Thanks..

Post Thanks / Like

What if there is no air conditioned cockhouse at the pit. What do you do when your out in the boonies, if you know what i mean. How would you control the humidity so and so. There is no way of dealing with mother nature. It's how and what you did to them roosters in the keep. Would like to know your way.

Post Thanks / Like

Maning
    macraess

It all goes back to the basics. Preparation should be done at least one day in advance! Select a cockhouse that is not affected by the scourging heat of the afternoon sun. Clean and wet the cockhouse, including the curtains & the ground, a day before you bring your roosters.
    Assuming the cockpit is not airconditioned, you should maintain your cockhouse as cool and well ventilated as possible. Have a small fan running for air circulation.
    In a place where the cockpit & cockhouse are centralized, be there a day before to give yourself ample time to repair and provide the necessary apparatus to maintain the preferable temperature and humidity. Bringing them on the same day of the fight, without knowing what's wrong with your cockhouse, is a recipe for disaster.
    Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; September 16th, 2007 at 06:21 PM.
    TJT Cocking Academy
    March 19, 20 & 21

Post Thanks / Like

thanks a lot doc...

Post Thanks / Like

Let me be a lil more specific. How would you control the moisture and feel of the rooster on fight day. Say you go to the pit, the humidity will go high and low at anytime. It could be dry at one point and wet at another. Sometimes it could be really hot and windy. Just curious. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Airconditioned Cockhouse Query for Doc TJT

??????????????????

Post Thanks / Like

macaress
    In the past, before the advent of airconditioned cockhouses, i set up a block of ice covered with jute sack and i place it two feet away from the resting stalls to beat the summer heat. Then i place an electric fan focused on the side and the air simply rotates around the room. I cover their cages with a wet dark cloth and water is sprayed on the cloth from time to time to maintain a comfortable humidity. I learned this technique from Ninong Jesse Cabalza and during those days, he was lording every pit in town.

As to the feel of the rooster....it would be hard to describe it in writing??? but to give you a little idea, it is better to point them more on the wet side because it is easier to tighten them on fight time...compared to a dry rooster that is bound to cut short especially when he goes to a drag fight.

Maintaining your rooster's moisture depends on many factors and this is best discussed @
    Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; September 22nd, 2007 at 08:09 AM.
    TJT Cocking Academy
    March 19, 20 & 21

Kampakirit

Nice idea..!

This is a practical approached in cockhouses that does have an AC. How about the 'MIST SPRAY" will it work the same way as the juted ice with an electric fan?
    Last edited by Kampakirit; September 23rd, 2007 at 11:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Without a block of ice...mist spray might work.
    Thank you for sharing, kampakirit. Keep it up.
    TJT Cocking Academy
    March 19, 20 & 21

Post Thanks / Like

Doc,

If my temperature and humidity were in the said comfort level. . . should i still cover my stalls including the flooring?

I've observed this with some handlers in the big time. . .

just wondering. . . because if my temperature and humidity were just right and then i cover my resting stalls. . . the temperature and humidity inside the stalls will be different. . . right?

so should I cover it?

I hope my question makes sense. . .

thanks doc!

more power!

tobruk

good day brothers in the sport.....

peace.....

Post Thanks / Like

doc,

you've always emphasized in your posts even in your book that it is always best to let our chickens sleep in the teepee if the weather is fine (day before the fight). . .

is this also true when you rest your chickens in an airconditioned cockhouse especially during summer? should we let them sleep outside?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GB-ONE
    Doc,

If my temperature and humidity were in the said comfort level. . . should i still cover my stalls including the flooring?

I've observed this with some handlers in the big time. . .

just wondering. . . because if my temperature and humidity were just right and then i cover my resting stalls. . . the temperature and humidity inside the stalls will be different. . . right?

so should I cover it?

I hope my question makes sense. . .

thanks doc!

more power!

Since you've already set the comfort level, you don't have to cover the stalls.

Covering the stalls & flooring are done by some conditioners to correct & adjust any fluctuations in the temperature/humidity level inside the cockhouse.

Aside from having a thermometer/hydrometer in the room, I suggest that you place another one inside their cage to monitor what's happening inside their cages.
    Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; January 23rd, 2008 at 10:43 PM.
    TJT Cocking Academy
    March 19, 20 & 21

Post Thanks / Like

very informative thread, doc. and to all cockmates who posted sensical questions, thanks, too. i did pick up a whole lot of information just by going over all the posts on this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Gandang Thread to ap..ap.. natin para ma opin ulit