Thread: Avian Pox

Post Thanks / Like

Avian Pox

Good day Doc,
    I would like to seek your advice on the above disease. My fowls are suffering from avian pox and the symptoms are classic, white yellowish nodules on the face. After a while, these would turn into black scabs and just disappear. But some of my fowls seem to be taking the worst of the disease. It affects the mouth and tongue of the cock, and makes him refuse to eat. But some seem to be immune to this disease without any visible symptoms . Is there a cure for this disease or should i just leave it (the cock) untreated and let it cure by itself. Why are some fowls immune from AP and why some suffer most? Does it effect the eyes cos i saw that both of its eyes are shut by the growth of the yellowish and later black scabs. How would you treat this disease? No medicine I gave to the birds seem to improve its condition. Is this disease fatal.?
    Have a nice day Doc, and appreciate your comments.

Accredited Merchant tjtcokngacademy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Avian Pox

Fowl Pox is a slow spreading viral disease characterized by skin {POX} lesions in the head region and perhaps on the featherless areas such as their shanks, feet, and vent.
    Once infected, you'll observe a formation of nodules that first appear as small white foci and then rapidly increase in size and become yellow. Proliferative lesions appear in the mouth, eyes, nostrils and their beak.

Probable causes are:
    a) Poor condition of the flock.
    b) Poor hygiene and sanitation.
    c) A contaminated brooder house that was not effectively disinfected is the main cause.

It is worthy to note, that chicks kept in new cages...rarely encounter any sickness.
    We always observe problems from old brooder houses and cages.

If the pox lesions are just starting, apply Betadine or Red Kote immediately and apply Terramycin skin topical ointment in the affected areas.

When it comes to a full-blown infection, it is best to cull them right away.
    Fowl Pox is best prevented through vaccination. It is a must, that you vaccinate them when they are 3-4 weeks of age.

Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; August 16th, 2007 at 05:25 AM.
    TJT Cocking Academy

Accredited Merchant tjtcokngacademy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Fowl Pox Vaccination

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...fit/inject.jpg

It is part of the academy's curriculum that the students are shown the proper vaccination procedure through the hands on appoach. Doc Teddy Tanchanco shows the students how to determine if the vaccine had a positive take. Please take note that if there is a negative take, you have to repeat the vaccination. These things are best explained through demo form in the academy.

http://sabong.net.ph/forum/images/th..._invisible.gif
    Last edited by tjtcokngacademy; August 16th, 2007 at 05:33 AM.
    TJT Cocking Academy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Avian Pox

Thanks for the advice Doctor.
    The one cock that was receiving the worst of the disease seem to be slowly recovering and has shown much improvement. His eyes were closed and his mouth and tongue was badly affected during the height of the infection. now his eyes has opened, i used running water to loosen up the eyelids and thank God his eyesight was not affected. He is a bit pale but i think he will recover.It was quite a scare as it was affecting my prized stock but seem to leave my other graded fowls untouched.....Thanks again Doc.