Thread: The Curtis Blackwell Legacy

tiririt

The Curtis Blackwell Legacy

I was browsing an old issue of Grit and Steel Magazine and i saw pictures of some cocking greats...Shorty Bullock,Harold Brown,Johnny Jumper,Cigar Lail,Mac White and Curtis Blackwell...
    I've read so few about the late Curtis Blackwell but had the chance to see one of his Bumblefoot Grey cross won a LK hack during the days when OK was still a cocker's haven(Poultry Palace)...to add a few details regarding one of our cocking greats,here is an email of one of the fine gentleman in the sport that was touched by the generousity of Mr. Blackwell.
    "Will try to answer in order written.First we would love to have you comeback for a visit,would love to see the new addition.many stories and articles have been written about Curtis,some factual and some are not.What made Curtis a stand out in the cocking world was his honesty,morality,and a great lot of integrity,but most of all good common sense.Curtis was a very humble man and had a great compassion to his fellow man.That combination would still make great,not only cockers but gentleman in general.Curtis made and perpetuated the Bumblefoot Fowl(they came red and grey) and they helped take Curtis to great stardom.Some may disagree,professional jealousy enters into every sport today.Upon Curtis death,his friend Antoine(from i think Peru)inherited the chickens and the original farm and farm buildings.The balance of the farm went to Nelson Blackwell who was/is Curtis brother.Johnny Jumepr said that Curtis was the gentleman's gentleman,and i agree.Inamed my youngest son after Curtisand my father,he,being Curtis Uel Clark.
    Hope this is what you intended.Take care and God Bless,YF TC"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Curtis Blackwell Legacy

I came up with this searching for curtis blackwell site:.sabong.net.ph on google. Need more info on the legend about his bumblefoot greys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Camarines View Post
    I came up with this searching for curtis blackwell site:.sabong.net.ph on google. Need more info on the legend about his bumblefoot greys.
    wow funny you brought that up bro,gonna obtain some of those bf greys from a buddy of mine that got direct from bill baumgarner,in which he got from curtis blackwell...im not much of a grey man but need,good off color to train my reds with...let me know what type of info you come up with..have a good season..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiririt View Post
    I was browsing an old issue of Grit and Steel Magazine and i saw pictures of some cocking greats...Shorty Bullock,Harold Brown,Johnny Jumper,Cigar Lail,Mac White and Curtis Blackwell...
    I've read so few about the late Curtis Blackwell but had the chance to see one of his Bumblefoot Grey cross won a LK hack during the days when OK was still a cocker's haven(Poultry Palace)...to add a few details regarding one of our cocking greats,here is an email of one of the fine gentleman in the sport that was touched by the generousity of Mr. Blackwell.
    "Will try to answer in order written.First we would love to have you comeback for a visit,would love to see the new addition.many stories and articles have been written about Curtis,some factual and some are not.What made Curtis a stand out in the cocking world was his honesty,morality,and a great lot of integrity,but most of all good common sense.Curtis was a very humble man and had a great compassion to his fellow man.That combination would still make great,not only cockers but gentleman in general.Curtis made and perpetuated the Bumblefoot Fowl(they came red and grey) and they helped take Curtis to great stardom.Some may disagree,professional jealousy enters into every sport today.Upon Curtis death,his friend Antoine(from i think Peru)inherited the chickens and the original farm and farm buildings.The balance of the farm went to Nelson Blackwell who was/is Curtis brother.Johnny Jumepr said that Curtis was the gentleman's gentleman,and i agree.Inamed my youngest son after Curtisand my father,he,being Curtis Uel Clark.
    Hope this is what you intended.Take care and God Bless,YF TC"
    Last time I saw Mr Curtis I met his entry at the Yellowleaf Club in the mid 80's I won a hard one he walked around met me when cam out and shook my hand real gentleman.Used to see him at the Big Bear facility back in the 70's alot of the old now famous southern cockers including the ones you mentioned and alot more showed up at Granville Hestors old place was good times-Jim
    Last edited by j007; December 24th, 2012 at 09:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny u mentioned Granville's place. I spent a lot of cold nights there just wanting to go home. Granville was a good person, I miss it now. Johnny Moore was having a bad night sat down beside dad, told him
    "to hell with this it's easier to win sunset" lol.

I remember a story about Curtis loosing to a rooster with two broke legs. But he raised some nice hatch chickens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ace08 View Post
    Funny u mentioned Granville's place. I spent a lot of cold nights there just wanting to go home. Granville was a good person, I miss it now. Johnny Moore was having a bad night sat down beside dad, told him
    "to hell with this it's easier to win sunset" lol.

I remember a story about Curtis loosing to a rooster with two broke legs. But he raised some nice hatch chickens.
    My first time at Granvilles place I drove down from Millington TN about time got started sherriff come busting in said yall dont get them cars off my road gonna run all yall off -lol-learned not to get there late parking was tight was feeling pretty freaky till I noticed nobody seemed to pay too much attention to him except them parked on the road-Wasnt the fancy kinda place but sure was some good ones put down-Jim..Oklahoma was wide open then a friend lived up in Shelby Forrest Roy Guyer not far from me was going out to the Redarrow club showing never got to go as was on my working weekends so never went with him I visited a facility in TN and the BigBear facility fairly regular as they worked out for my schedule
    Last edited by j007; December 25th, 2012 at 08:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes sir I know what you mean. I have seen several troopers there and not to mention county officials handing out election cards lol. Good time gone and good people tht was there. But it did get cold didn't it.

Post Thanks / Like

Bumble Foot Grey X Buckingham Roundhead, one of my successful crosses ever. Got my Bumblefoot Grey and Mcleans from a man in his 80's. Never fought in the big time. But the Bumble Foot Greys would tag a few big timers if they came our way. They(BG)did really well for him as they did for me. Honest fowl from honest roots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Small Timer View Post
    Bumble Foot Grey X Buckingham Roundhead, one of my successful crosses ever. Got my Bumblefoot Grey and Mcleans from a man in his 80's. Never fought in the big time. But the Bumble Foot Greys would tag a few big timers if they came our way. They(BG)did really well for him as they did for me. Honest fowl from honest roots.
    Never bred any of the Bumblefoot Greys myself a friend Katt Brazzell used them crossed with his hatch blood to make the Tornado Greys they was good ones back in late 70's he asked me to go to the PI with him as had a show of them up I shoulda gone-lol-hindsight is 20/20 but was getting everything together to move from TN back to AL so didnt go.