Page 1 of 32 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloodline of Gulls

Post Thanks / Like

Bloodline of Gulls

It seem that Gulls are not fond of mainstream breeding but from scouting this bloodline a few known breeders admitted that they use this to refresh their seedfowls.

It has excellent cutting just like Albany and stations come mid low and mid high.

Why is this line not fondly talk about?

Gull enthusiast and breeders - this is the thread of Gulls

Let us talk about it here...

thanks

2. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bloodline of Gulls

My Cowan Roundhead is said to have an infusion of Gull Blood. I, also, would like to know more about the Gull line !

Saludos,
    Baja

4. Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why did Cowan and Brunner infused the Gull blood to the Allen Roundhead? Here was their comment: "But in the latter stages of battle, when it came down to a give-and-take, I have never thought the Allen RHs would excelled, and I was convinced that if they were to keep pace with the game and maintain their record the Allen Rhs must be bred to fight as efficiently when the battle came down to a "tug of war" as in the beginning of a fight."

I watched so many of Jun Santiago's Brunner Rhs fight at the WSD, and you have to kill every feather to win against them, because they have the staying power to come back and win.

I have access to several Gull lines even the old and rare Hanky Dean Grey Gull. They are also known for their speed and cutting abilities aside for their gameness.
    Last edited by EAA Indians; September 11th, 2007 at 12:52 PM.

6. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi. I heard that the Murphy blood came from the Gulls. Howard Belk bred and maintained the best. Here in P.I. the guys who has the best from Mr. Belk are Alex Tang, Joe Alimbuyugin, Jay de Jesus and partners Peter Uy and Joseph Chua.

Post Thanks / Like

count me 'in'.. im also fond of breeding thou i have only a pair.. i got it from the farm of jnj farm of joe alimbuyugin.. this coming season, im going to propagate this line as this line is winning with jnj as well as the rest boss joe & boss alex friends.. i understand this gull is a whitehackle family from howard belk..

Post Thanks / Like

More info please....

Regards.

Post Thanks / Like

there i something with Gull blood that makes it labeled as a "refresh"

that is what makes me more curious with it.

Post Thanks / Like

The main ingredient... Lawman Whitehackle.

Post Thanks / Like

There are different strains of Gull.
    I scouted this line and I see the power comes from the Whitehackles. From my personal observation.

But I will spill the beans:

why is it if its cross to RHead it still looks like Rhead?
    same thing with Kelso
    And even Albany.

Steve Sturm whitehackle when crossed to roundhead still throws mostly WL and a few YL.

There are those charateristics that make me research more.

Reason I posted this.

I also summon Polegaff... he knows a lot of this line.

13. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gull folks..

lets make this very informative.

Lets cut deeper to the world of Gulls.

15. Likes CA whitetoppy06, Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

gulls are not as famous sweaters right now....for what i understand the breeder of these bloodline kept it and did not sell a feather....thats why gulls are hard to find....if you can get it hold on to it...its a good bloodline......

Post Thanks / Like

What Breeders have Gull for Sale ?

Saludos,
    Baja

18. Thanks Gamebred909 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bajaexplor

Saludos,
    Baja
    try howard belk.....

Post Thanks / Like

A close friend of mine, Baldemar Corral, recently bought a Trio of Cowan from Howard Belk. He says that Howard has gotten up in the years !

Baja

Post Thanks / Like

a friend of mine in california breeds some gulls ,his brodcock is a howard belk gull ,a powerful rooster ,staight comb with lemon hackel .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mahal
    a friend of mine in california breeds some gulls ,his brodcock is a howard belk gull ,a powerful rooster ,staight comb with lemon hackel .
    thats true they are hard hitters and fast...good vertical breakers too. mine i cross them to his clarets and sweaters...

junebug32

We used to have the gulls from Howard Belk until that disease(AVIAN FLU) got to them a few years ago here in Southern California.They were very game and outstanding cutters.The ones we had were red(not lemon hackles)with y,legs and straight comb.Mr.Belk even let us borrow some hens back then.He used to live real close to us.Right now he lives about an hour away.

24. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

where did howard belk got them?

we all know what gull is capable in breeding.
    let's trace its origin...

james wolf

i believe howard belk gull's were his father's? so in the family for countless yrs

27. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks sir james w.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swtrhtch1925
    thanks sir james w.
    Anybody here can post a pix of Gull? It's quite interesting to know the looks and performance of this fowl. much more the make up of this fowl.

Thanks and regards.

Post Thanks / Like

Swtrhtch1925 (Homer), this is a very good topic. Once I asked a friend who is a Gamecock Strain historian and UGBA officer, on the history and make up of the Gull. He gave several articles on the history of the Gull but he had difficulty in determining the make up of the Gull. I still would like to know the make up of the Gull.

On another note. We fought a rooster and it was the most decisive of the fights that I have ever seen. This Mississippi gull broke high, pounded on the opponent from the top of the break all the way down to the grown, and when they landed, the other cock was down. The gull approached and picked up the other rooster and shuffled for a long long time, and that was it. The Pit announcer shouted that our rooster smoked the other rooster.

31. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Somewhere in the past I've read about the Gulls, I have about 3 trunks full of Mags. From memory I think that they were breed by Mahonney, a very old breed from around New York. I believe they where named after a particular cock called "Charlie Gull " or the Gull cock. Charlie Gull was a kidnapped boy who went missing and I believe the Gull cock was stolden and recovered, thus named "Charlie Gull".

33. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
    polegaff

Very nice thread swtrhtch
    Howards came from the east coast from his family and they have had them a long time.
    Mine are from a diferent source through a friend who retired and gave me every pen he had. They were in his family as long as Howard has had his. I have accurate breeding records that go back to 1911.
    There were several strains of gulls but they all refer to a type of whitehackle. Basically an Irish whitehackle. 50 years ago alot of breeders were raising and showing pure gulls. But it seems they felt they needed to move on to bigger and better things and the gulls got left behind. Now days I hear "I wish I still had them gulls".
    But no matter where you go gull has refreshed bloodlines over and over. Some will admit it and some will deny it.
    I will add more when I get some time and maybe share some of the breeding history

35. Thanks CA whitetoppy06, Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    polegaff

Quote Originally Posted by zimefarm
    Anybody here can post a pix of Gull? It's quite interesting to know the looks and performance of this fowl. much more the make up of this fowl.

Thanks and regards.

Look in my gallery

polegaff

Quote Originally Posted by EAA Indians
    Swtrhtch1925 (Homer), this is a very good topic. Once I asked a friend who is a Gamecock Strain historian and UGBA officer, on the history and make up of the Gull. He gave several articles on the history of the Gull but he had difficulty in determining the make up of the Gull. I still would like to know the make up of the Gull.

On another note. We fought a rooster and it was the most decisive of the fights that I have ever seen. This Mississippi gull broke high, pounded on the opponent from the top of the break all the way down to the grown, and when they landed, the other cock was down. The gull approached and picked up the other rooster and shuffled for a long long time, and that was it. The Pit announcer shouted that our rooster smoked the other rooster.
    I beleive I know this Mississippi line extremely well.

38. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bajaexplor

Saludos,
    Baja
    Talk to Polegaff, I'm sure he could help you.

Post Thanks / Like

From Johnson's History of Game Strains:

Part of a letter from Gus Frithiof, Sr.

I have been the closest cocking friend of Mr. Cuneo for the past 35 years and trained all his cocks of his own and his partner, Mr. Herman Schieffer. They operated a meat market jointly in
    East Austin, until Mr. Schieffers death, then Mr. Cuneo retired and gave up cocking. Over 30 years ago, Mr. Cuneo had on his yard two hens, one a John W. Miller, Mississippi Sawyer, of Cold Water, Miss., (I believe was the place from where Frank Raggio got his strain of dark brown red fowl) and an O'Neal Dom hen. On these two hens he put a Commilla Kuechler Claiborne.
    Now as no
    Cuneo fowl ever showed the dark blood of the Miller Miss. Sawyers I presume that the Cuneo fowl descended from the O'Neal Dom hen and the Claiborne cock. On these red females from this mating he bred a cock that Madigin sent Frank Raggio. Madigin sent Raggio two cocks, as alike as peas in a pod, both white legged very short stationed cocks with all their hackle feathers shorn off. Madigin never told Raggio what these fowl were and they were likely some family of short heel Whitehackles. Mr. Cuneo began to call his fowl Gulls and continued to do so, until his death. He was a man of the highest and noblest instincts and I never knew him to tell a lie, but I never could understand him calling his fowl Gulls, when it is doubtful if they ever contained one single drop of the blood. Now the Madigin-Claiborne-Doms were bred to a cock from a man named F.M. Marley, who got these Roundheads from a man maed I.N. Riles, or some such name, in Alabama. When Madigin fought Allen and Shelton at San Antonio, Mr. Marley got the cock and bred him to a hen from a man named Balkwell in Cal. Balkwell was a breeder of Japs and Jap crosses. This mating produced some fine cocks and Cuneo bred one of these cocks to his fowl. Raggio defeated Henry Flock with a full main of the Jap-Allens at San Antonio, Texas. A.J. Jarrett of El Paso, Texas was Henry Flock's backer and I think furnished his show of cocks. It was a slaughter in favor of Raggio, Texas Champion cocker for 35 years, who died Dec. of 1925. I worked for Raggio and consider him TOPS. On the hens of the Dom-Claiborne-Madigin-Riles-Allen-Japs he bred some fowl that Marley secured from Madigin in Chicago, that is, the fowl were shipped from Chicago. They were extremely short legged and looked like ducks waddling around. On this conglomaration of crosses he bred some fowl that Marley secured from Charley Storey of Bradford, Pa., and these fowl had top knots. On this mating he bred a cock from Carpenter.

Author's Note: The fowl of Storey and Carpenter were what are called Gulls.
    I walked the stags from this mating near
    Giddings, Texas, and when the cocks were fought some were extra game and some were rank dunghills. Cuneo selected some females of the dunghills and put them under a great cock of mine, that was 1/2 Andrew P. O'Conor Kearney-Duryea, 1/4 Madigin, 1/4 H.H. Cowan Roundhead. (I had two full brothers and won 12 main fights with them and they were great game cocks). From this mating he got some good fighters and good cutting cocks. Two of the very small, duck legged pullets were given to S.E. Damon, who bred them to a Madigin crossed cock and many of the cocks went to Wilson Bros. and were fought in Orlando and elsewhere, as Cuneo Gulls and Damon-Cuneo Gulls.
    Insomuch as the Gull question is involved here, let me quote from a letter from John Madigin, who along with Henry Hanky Deans were Dennis Mahoney's closest friends, and lifetime associates.
    Buffalo, N.Y. Oct. 28th. 1935
    Pedro Escalon, Esq.
    Santa Ana, C.A.

Dear Sir:
    I have been handed your letter to Henry Deans to reply. Mr. Deans is quite old. I believe you and I met by correspondence before. In regards to Mahoney's so called "GULLS", Deans nor I ever recollect him fighting any of them. In fact, Mahoney raised very few fowl, he was more of a feeder not a breeder. He worked with Deans and lived at his house and died there. The fowl he fought are much the same as they fight here now. Mostly Black Reds with white and yellow legs. All descendants of the old
    Derby fowl crossed on Spangle Gilkersons and such like all short heel fowl.
    If I can be of further assistance kindly advice me.
    Yours,

John H. Madigin

41. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Baja (Eric), Polegaff is known for his Gulls.

I have a Mexican-American friend that has the Gull-McLean cross and he is very successful with them. His Gull came from Howard Belk some 10 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Blackdeath,
    I don't think the Texas Gulls are the Gulls that most people assoicate the name with. Gus was pretty much a self promoter and very much a peddler. I visited Gus many years ago. I helped him fill and order, he said this one looks like a Claret send it. Tarheel said Gus only worked for Madigin three days.

44. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes hoghunterdave, velozcoyote liked this post