Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2227282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Bloodline of Gulls

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bloodline of Gulls

Thanks for clearing that up, do you know what the make up was originally when they were back east coast ??

Post Thanks / Like

what I was told from a good friend of Howard Belk is that he owned Repeater Hatch and Ruble hatch.He might of infused it in his Gulls who knows maybe somebody has more knowledge on here and have some input. I recently purchased two pullets from a breeder who was gifted a trio direct from Howard Belk. This yr 2 beautiful green legged gull pullets came out(throwbacks) Gonna go chat with an old breeder that use to tie for Belks see what he tells me on that.

Post Thanks / Like

I was trying to reply to Pirso Patricio

Post Thanks / Like

He might infused his repeater hatch into them? Not sure though. Let me bump it up

Post Thanks / Like

Howard said to me that Repeater Hatch is a combination of his Harold Brown Hatch and his Percy flower hatch..and the name was created by the referee during one of repeater's day in the pit when Howard used first and second fight of the same cock..then the referre said to him..Oh Howard that cock is a REPEATER already...

6. Thanks Perfect-Gull thanked for this post
    Likes irisheyes485 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to post another young Gull stag:

8. Likes Bloodsport liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t gasparac View Post
    God dam those are nice fowl

Post Thanks / Like

Bumping this up..

so Gulls are bred from Hanky Dean Grey? And Old Irish Whitehackle??

Post Thanks / Like

A friend's breeding pen...Gull X Cuban Pyle.

Post Thanks / Like

Sig those should hatch with cutters stamped on their heads.

13. Likes Sig1911 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a buddy who was breeding Belks Gulls and Clarets.
    havent talked to him in awhile I should go check on him.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump this one up. Too many question. Too much to read.

Strength? Bottom? Cut? Vertical leap?

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone can answer .....Are Gulls yellow or white legged?

Post Thanks / Like

The gulls that Had seen was yellow legs, but let me bump it up

Post Thanks / Like

Tone look for the yellow legged ones straight comb.. so I was told.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonetone559 View Post
    HB Mahoney Gull
    IMG_6653.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Odalisay nobody liked your picture perfect specimen..Do you maintain this bloodline? Get any chicks this year, Keep em Game, Keep em Crowing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CA whitetoppy06 View Post
    Odalisay nobody liked your picture perfect specimen..Do you maintain this bloodline? Get any chicks this year, Keep em Game, Keep em Crowing.
    Lol yeah itís ok. Yes my cousin and I maintain the Belk line of gulls. We do have a hen setting right now. Thanks for the interest CA whitetoppy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

22. Likes CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonetone559 View Post
    The ones I know of are straight comb with yellow legs. Gulls are another family of Whitehackles...like many breeds, some are good some are not...there is a woman in Southern California that sells Howard's Gulls & Clarets...I know of 2 guys that have bought from her, both guys told me that they are medium station, smallish size fowl, with good plumage. I saw pics & thought they were on the short legged side (just my opinion).
    If you want Whitehackle blood, in my opinion, there are other lines out there you may want to consider instead of looking for a line whose best days were decades ago. For example, Norman Terry Morgan Whitehackle or Swift Creek Jacobs...if you want to go the Murphy Whitehackle route, Wallace Lanning of Norland Blount have good ones.

24. Likes Sig1911 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bend the knee View Post
    The ones I know of are straight comb with yellow legs. Gulls are another family of Whitehackles...like many breeds, some are good some are not...there is a woman in Southern California that sells Howard's Gulls & Clarets...I know of 2 guys that have bought from her, both guys told me that they are medium station, smallish size fowl, with good plumage. I saw pics & thought they were on the short legged side (just my opinion).
    If you want Whitehackle blood, in my opinion, there are other lines out there you may want to consider instead of looking for a line whose best days were decades ago. For example, Norman Terry Morgan Whitehackle or Swift Creek Jacobs...if you want to go the Murphy Whitehackle route, Wallace Lanning of Norland Blount have good ones.
    Murphy, claret, whitehackle, kelso, Gull. Regardless of the name or type of chicken. Be aware if someone says there good. What are they good for? Gameness? Accuracy? Speed? Timing? Offense? Defense? Or pretty?
    AND what the hell there good in?
    You know what shows? Amer, Mex., PI. AND WHAT ARE THEY GOOD WITH? Hatch? Whose hatch? Your hatch? His hatch? My hatch? ???
    Are they good pure?

26. Likes mctrott1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    Murphy, claret, whitehackle, kelso, Gull. Regardless of the name or type of chicken. Be aware if someone says there good. What are they good for? Gameness? Accuracy? Speed? Timing? Offense? Defense? Or pretty?
    AND what the hell there good in?
    You know what shows? Amer, Mex., PI. AND WHAT ARE THEY GOOD WITH? Hatch? Whose hatch? Your hatch? His hatch? My hatch? ???
    Are they good pure?
    Back when legal, I can tell you that I never saw a fast whitehackle! they are typically heavy plumage, single stroking power chickens...now here is my favorite part...when people ask if they are...fast or high breakers or good cutters ect ect...I tell them, it all depends...what is fast to me & fast to the next guy may not be one & the same...same with HIGH BREAKERS...when I was young, I bought a pair of Hatch & a pair of Murphys from Rudy & Carrole Ibele...we are talking a long time ago back when me & my buddy Del were good looking! I remember asking if the Hatch cock was a High Breaker & I remember one of the Ibele brothers telling me that his fowl broke well (he said to his knees) so, I don't know how tall those Ibele brothers were but I am 5'10 so I guess Rudy & Carrol must have been about the size of the little people in the wizard of oz because that Hatch cock on his best day would not clear my ankles if his life depended on it...so, next time you are talking about are they fast or high breakers tell them what I tell them...."I don't know what have you seen, so, I have nothing to quantify it by" now when it comes to "are they good cutters" the best line I ever heard was from my buddy Gary (Hawk1974) he told me one time when we were talking about fowl that his Jock Wilson Toppy's will could cut you "JUST BY LOOKING AT YOU" (back in the legal days of course) but hell, if a bird can cut your bird just by looking at your bird I would have to say that I prefer not to match into any of those & yes, that family would have to be considered "good cutters."
    Last edited by Bend the knee; June 11th, 2018 at 02:33 AM.

28. Likes Engkanto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Back when legal, I can tell you that I never saw a fast whitehackle! they are typically heavy plumage, single stroking power chickens...now here is my favorite part...when people ask if they are...fast or high breakers or good cutters ect ect...I tell them, it all depends...what is fast to me & fast to the next guy may not be one & the same...same with HIGH BREAKERS...when I was young, I bought a pair of Hatch & a pair of Murphys from Rudy & Carrole Ibele...we are talking a long time ago back when me & my buddy Del were good looking! I remember asking if the Hatch cock was a High Breaker & I remember one of the Ibele brothers telling me that his fowl broke well (he said to his knees) so, I don't know how tall those Ibele brothers were but I am 5'10 so I guess Rudy & Carrol must have been about the size of the little people in the wizard of oz because that Hatch cock on his best day would not clear my ankles if his life depended on it...so, next time you are talking about are they fast or high breakers tell them what I tell them...."I don't know what have you seen, so, I have nothing to quantify it by" now when it comes to "are they good cutters" the best line I ever heard was from my buddy Gary (Hawk1974) he told me one time when we were talking about fowl that his Jock Wilson Toppy's will could cut you "JUST BY LOOKING AT YOU" (back in the legal days of course) but hell, if a bird can cut your bird just by looking at your bird I would have to say that I prefer not to match into any of those & yes, that family would have to be considered "good cutters."
    To me, how High they break is measured in “FEET”.
    How well they CUT is measured in “TIME”. —- 1-2 minutes in the longheel to finish you out right or knock you down 75% IS A ACCURATE (cutting) cock.
    Another aspect nobody talks about is “HIGH PERCENTAGE OF WINNING” in TOP competition NOT HACKS.
    Theres MANY families of fowl out there that are BEAUTIFUL and well built that ain’t worth crap in the pit.
    Last edited by MONGOOSE; June 11th, 2018 at 02:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

To me, how High they break is measured in “FEET”.
    How well they CUT is measured in “TIME”. —- 1-2 minutes in the longheel to finish you out right or knock you down 75% IS A ACCURATE (cutting) cock.
    Another aspect nobody talks about is “HIGH PERCENTAGE OF WINNING” in TOP competition NOT HACKS.
    Theres MANY families of fowl out there that are BEAUTIFUL and well built that ain’t worth crap in the pit.
    Yes, you hear they break to the lights...but how high are the lights?...lots of people say their fowl break 6-7 feet but that only matters if the other one goes up too...as for Top Comp...back when legal, there were always tough & not so tough at the big derbys...lots of people with just the entry money & not wanting to bet (unless we gave them a 100-70)...only way to get good money was mains...we use to do lots of 7 cock mains...pretty much let it be known "if you want some...come get some" not many came coming & after we did 1 or 2 mains with them, I can't remember anyone looking for more...with some of the last mains, we did let a group of the previous main losers make an all-star main entry...that did not last long either. Let me say this, you know you are tough & respected when you go to a show & people won't turn in their envelope or they ask to go a,b,c & d with you or they want to check your weights so they can leave out any possible matches...but, hell, like I said many times, what the hell do I know, I am turning 56 in July & only had fowl since I was 8!
    Last edited by Bend the knee; June 11th, 2018 at 03:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you hear they break to the lights...but how high are the lights?...lots of people say their fowl break 6-7 feet but that only matters if the other one goes up too...as for Top Comp...back when legal, there were always tough & not so tough at the big derbys...lots of people with just the entry money & not wanting to bet (unless we gave them a 100-70)...only way to get good money was mains...we use to do lots of 7 cock mains...pretty much let it be known "if you want some...come get some" not many came coming & after we did 1 or 2 mains with them, I can't remember anyone looking for more...with some of the last mains, we did let a group of the previous main losers make an all-star main entry...that did not last long either. Let me say this, you know you are tough & respected when you go to a show & people won't turn in their envelope or they ask to go a,b,c & d with you or they want to check your weights so they can leave out any possible matches...but, hell, like I said many times, what the hell do I know, I am turning 56 in July & only had fowl since I was 8!
    I could care less about how high a bird breaks. I just want him to either out break him or wait for him to come down.
    As far as what you said about what you know. Just cause your in the game for decades don’t mean too much. Seen many that know it all. That never advance.

32. Likes BackNBlack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I could care less about how high a bird breaks. I just want him to either out break him or wait for him to come down.
    As far as what you said about what you know. Just cause your in the game for decades don’t mean too much. Seen many that know it all. That never advance.
    Careful now, you are just going to end up asking for forgiveness tomorrow after you sober up!

Post Thanks / Like

Careful now, you are just going to end up asking for forgiveness tomorrow after you sober up!
    Dont have to be drinking to point out the obvious.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont have to be drinking to point out the obvious.
    Well, as long as you like the obvious pointed out, you may want to breed toward a line with stronger looking legs than the cock on your avatar...they look like pencils....I thought you were a big time gaff guy? Those little legs are going to snap like twigs IF they hit anything. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Candelaria805 View Post
    what I was told from a good friend of Howard Belk is that he owned Repeater Hatch and Ruble hatch.He might of infused it in his Gulls who knows maybe somebody has more knowledge on here and have some input. I recently purchased two pullets from a breeder who was gifted a trio direct from Howard Belk. This yr 2 beautiful green legged gull pullets came out(throwbacks) Gonna go chat with an old breeder that use to tie for Belks see what he tells me on that.
    I purchased a trio of Howard Belk Gulls from a lady in Southern Ca. and she told me from time to time you would get a green leg pullet. She said Howard told her it was because he infused Repeater Hatch in them.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, as long as you like the obvious pointed out, you may want to breed toward a line with stronger looking legs than the cock on your avatar...they look like pencils....I thought you were a big time gaff guy? Those little legs are going to snap like twigs IF they hit anything. LOL
    Like regularly. You have a keen eye and understanding of of the game.
    Funny you bring my avatar up. I was looking at yours, which I believe is a Givens hatch. Beautiful birds. I know a man who got them gifted to him by the colonel himself.
    Unfortunately my pencil leg avatar met that BEAUTIFUL, broad back, beautiful station, rugged bone, on the hard ground.
    The Givens was carried out by his tail. LoL.
    It ainít the looks brutha.
    Last edited by MONGOOSE; June 11th, 2018 at 12:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Like regularly. You have a keen eye and understanding of of the game.
    Funny you bring my avatar up. I was looking at yours, which I believe is a Givens hatch. Beautiful birds. I know a man who got them gifted to him by the colonel himself.
    Unfortunately my pencil leg avatar met that BEAUTIFUL, broad back, beautiful station, rugged bone, on the hard ground.
    The Givens was carried out by his tail. LoL.
    It ain’t the looks brutha.
    If that bird beat a real Col givens my question would be..."did you put the poison on the hackles or on the spurs!!!"