Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shortgaff Cockfighting

Post Thanks / Like

Shortgaff Cockfighting

Does anyone out there know a website or has some video clips to share with us an actual fight using shortgaff....PLS SHARE it will be gratefully appreciated...THANK YOU!!! Were just Curious....

top_signature

Re: Shortgaff Cockfighting

When I watched it in Kentucky I got bored because its about 15 to 30 minutes per fight and is really so boring. I'm not sure if it is the cock that has a problem or the Gaffs because I talked to someone from New Mexico who's into short knife and told me that in New Mexico shortknife lasts less than 10 minutes and some fights were only between 6 to 10 seconds. That's all I can share...maybe someone here will provide you videos of the fight.

cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

short gaff no its called "short heel" and time ago this was all that there were in us the purpose is too see the gameness of a cock... the pit furnished the gaffs... my father
    love this due to the gameness that is brought out of a rooster...

yfis
    cigar

4. Likes regulargrey, BostonMurphy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Aren't short heels the weapon of choice of the Northeners (Yankees)? Guys like Hatch, Marsh and Ruble were short heel men.

It's pretty hardcore regarding gameness.

We'll be opening a short heel club in Manila soon in conjunction with the short knife/long heel club being formed in Cebu. I will post the details here when they are ready. Maybe we can take videos then as I know cameras are not allowed in any US pit so you'll be hard pressed to find a video.

Post Thanks / Like

The "shortgaff/shortheel" is 1 1/4 inch long. It is mainly used in the northeastern part of the US. In the mid-west it's the 1 1/2 inch long that is very popular. The 1 1/2 inch gaff is about on the same par as the long heel. The same type of fowl fought in the long heel are the same kind used in the 1 1/2 inch gaff. In the 1 1/4 inch gaff the old timers claimed it was the weapon of choice to test the true gameness of your fowl. Some of the fights can end quickly if you have a cutting cock. In any weapon you must have cutting first to win quick.

Post Thanks / Like

What are the bloodlines used in short heel? Hatch, Whitehackle, Butcher, I assume.

Aside from gameness and cutting, what other attributes does one look for in breeding short heel fowl? I think stamina is important here? What else?

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sentenciador
    What are the bloodlines used in short heel? Hatch, Whitehackle, Butcher, I assume.

Aside from gameness and cutting, what other attributes does one look for in breeding short heel fowl? I think stamina is important here? What else?

Thank you!
    Basically, in addition to the fowls you mention, all families of fowl bred the Northeastern areas of the US were fought in short heels, 1 1/4" gaffs. The Boston roundheads, brownred families such as the Kearney brownreds, John Stones, and other Irish brownred families, the Albanys, Shawlnecks. This list goes on. And yes, stamina, gameness, and power-power- power were desirable traits. I started out fighting in this heel and loved it. I was fighting Gleezen Whitehackles and the old C C Cooke Preacher Blueface. The longer the fight went, the better they got, and the better I liked it. If it went to the drag pit and my rooster was on his feet, those two old short heel families were had to beat. You had to kill every feather on them, and you didn't give up on them 'til they were dead. They could win with their dying lick. Power

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks blackdeath!

Though I've never tried it, I'm liking it already. It has the values and traits I am looking for in a gamecock. Gameness, power, cut, stamina, more gameness.

I'm really looking forward to our club's first tournament. It will be a good experience for all of us and we will learn many things about our favorite animal.

Best regards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sentenciador
    Thanks blackdeath!

Though I've never tried it, I'm liking it already. It has the values and traits I am looking for in a gamecock. Gameness, power, cut, stamina, more gameness.

I'm really looking forward to our club's first tournament. It will be a good experience for all of us and we will learn many things about our favorite animal.

Best regards.
    A little information for you Sir regarding heel selection.

The rule of thumb is as follows
    Low station cock--high point gaffs
    Medium station --medium point gaff
    High station cock--low point gaff

single stroke fowl a medium point is good...easy in easy out
    same goes for asils and asil grades, they tend to be single stroke
    violent shufflers...high points...you want the gaff to hang to induce the shuffle

Don't fight Sweaters...use your Hatches, Clarets, Butchers, Whithackles

Good luck my friend
    And you will have fun
    yfis

11. Thanks avalos1991 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought all the Gaffs are the same, supplied by the club?

Yes, no Sweaters I'll try Heinie Hatch and Blueface.

Regards.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Re: Shortgaff Cockfighting

i used to watched in virginia and its boring and disgusting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hanes
    why you say that?
    it must be full of action and long standing gore?
    the cat and mouse game with the cops should be exhilarating enough!

Post Thanks / Like

You might have been watching but I don't think you know what you were seeing.

,Zac

16. Likes regulargrey, turbo_harpoon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

digusting? you don't like a cockfight? may I ask, what is your interest?

Post Thanks / Like

All heels are interesting to watch for me !

Baja

19. Likes avalos1991 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Even no heels is fun to watch! They are all bloody, brutal, dirty and sweaty events. Things we cockfighters are living! Disgusting? Maybe if you don't fancy the game. Then if you don't, what are you doing on this site?

blackdeath, so what about the Gaffs? Aren't they all the same? One design supplied by the pit?

Thanks!

21. Likes Naturaljack7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sentenciador

At some pits where they fight 1 1/2" gaffs, the pit supplies the gaff. All the same pattern. What they supplied was called a Regulation style gaff in a medium point. At brush pits and other pits you could use your own gaffs and the pattern of heels you prefered. Jaggers, Bayonets, Twisters, Fulldrops, etc. whatever suited your fancy. When the contestants entered the pit the length of gaff was checked with a gauge for length. If it passed through the gauge, it was a fair fight. In 1 1/4" heels we always just brought our own heels. Whatever pattern we liked and what we thought best suited our roosters station and fighting style. And, kind of went by the rule of thumb I mentioned earlier. The same rule of thumb applies in all gaffs from 1 1/4" to long heels that are up to 2 5/8" and even 2 3/4" in lenght. But, even more so in long heels.

Post Thanks / Like

I see. Thanks for the info!

Now I understand as the man that mentioned this club to me mentioned we would fight in 1 1/2" inch heels. And it makes sense as there are zero (0) gaffsmiths here and we will all be using his old standard gaffs. At least in the beginning until we get the hang of it and add more variation.

Best regards.

gvyujuico

The 1 and 1/2 heel will improve cockfighting in the Philippines. I believe the majority iof the birds fought in the Philippines are dunghills and die before they can sulk or run as the knife is so quick. We need this weapon as importing birds is getting more difficult.
    Why do you think the best birds have come from the northern part of the US? It is because they were bred for strength and gameness and fought in the 1 1/4 heel.
    The 1 and 1/2 inch heel is the best heel to fight in accoding to Hulsey, Ruble, and Harold Brown. Birds can win in one fly or go the distance. You will need 3/4 less chickens as well as most winners can be trained again after two weeks and are not cut to pieces which will make the sport more affordable.
    Over the last 100 years we have always had to import as our breeding has always been going downhill because of the weapon we use.
    If we breed for strength and gameness our knife fights will improve as well.
    The biggest fallacy is that you need game chickens for the 1 inch knfe. The birds only can gets cut or nicked like when one gets a shave.
    No matter what weapon we all love gamefowl and the only way to breed to gameness is to fight in the 1 and 1/2 inch gaff!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=gvyujuico] I believe the majority iof the birds fought in the Philippines are dunghills...... QUOTE]

HA??????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gvyujuico
    The 1 and 1/2 heel will improve cockfighting in the Philippines. I believe the majority iof the birds fought in the Philippines are dunghills and die before they can sulk or run as the knife is so quick. We need this weapon as importing birds is getting more difficult.
    Why do you think the best birds have come from the northern part of the US? It is because they were bred for strength and gameness and fought in the 1 1/4 heel.
    The 1 and 1/2 inch heel is the best heel to fight in accoding to Hulsey, Ruble, and Harold Brown. Birds can win in one fly or go the distance. You will need 3/4 less chickens as well as most winners can be trained again after two weeks and are not cut to pieces which will make the sport more affordable.
    Over the last 100 years we have always had to import as our breeding has always been going downhill because of the weapon we use.
    The biggest fallacy is that you need game chickens for the 1 inch knfe. The birds only can gets cut or nicked like when one gets a shave.
    No matter what weapon we all love gamefowl and the only way to breed to gameness is to fight in the 1 and 1/2 inch gaff!

gvyujuico

gvyujuico

[quote=mylod]
    I believe the majority iof the birds fought in the Philippines are dunghills...... QUOTE]

HA??????

gvyujuico

[quote=mylod]
    I believe the majority iof the birds fought in the Philippines are dunghills...... QUOTE]

HA??????
    That is correct, have you heard of Americans importing gamefowl from the Philippines?

Post Thanks / Like

i can smell a main coming...

Post Thanks / Like

You are mostly accurate in your opion. The 1 1/2 gaff is a beautiful weapon. Is short enough for the rooster to be able to pull on his own. It is long enough to hit any vital. Any good cutting rooster pumping them babies under the wings of the opposing cock is a winner in short order. Down the back too, a quick winner. "Birds can win in one fly or go the distance." That's the best of both worlds my friend. "You will need 3/4 less chickens as well as most winners can be trained again after two weeks..." Yes, you can make 5-6-7 time winners in a single season with them. Their recovery time is very short.

"The biggest fallacy is that you need game chickens for the 1 inch knfe." Not quite accurate with this statement. Many 1" knife fight are quite grueling affairs. The participants often cut each others legs nearly off in the 1st and 2nd buckle. Then, from there you have two crippled roosters battling it out. And, gameness will come to the fore.

Sweaters, ask the boys what happens to the Sweaters when those big Sweater breeders drive them to the North a couple of hours and turn them loose. Their boxes are a lot lighter on the way back home. The Sweaters are left in the dead barrel. You guys got lots of them Sweaters in the Islands. If you want them thinned out, start fighting in 1 1/2 gaff. Wont take long....yfis

The 1 and 1/2 heel will improve cockfighting in the Philippines.

Post Thanks / Like

this is good stuff more info on short gaff fihting pls

Post Thanks / Like

what do you want to know my friend?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nonny
    what do you want to know my friend?
    what i really want to see is the weapon its self and maybe some vids of gaff fights thats it

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds pretty interesting!! Makes me wana try it on my own birds..