Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gaffing Lesson - Safety or Accuracy?

tiklap

Re: Gaffing Lesson - Safety or Accuracy?

It's getting interesting!

I cannot argue with the prop toe alignment is more accurate than that of the spur....

But wait a minute my dear guru's how come most of the gaffer's now use the spur alignment... I just watched the interview of the gaffer of Deep Impact Entry in sagupaan last monday and he shown what kind of alignment he used and to my surprise its a spur alignment.... They are the champion of the 7 stag derby....

I also watched several fights in the January 2007 world slasher cup and most of the alignment is aligned inside...

Do you have any idea why most of the bigtime gaffers used the spur alignment? Why not the prop toe alignment which is more accurate?

I am not favoring any alignment here I just want to know the basis and the theory behind. I am just a beginner and no experience to attest which is the best...

More winnings to all!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiklap

I cannot argue with the prop toe alignment is more accurate than that of the spur....

But wait a minute my dear guru's how come most of the gaffer's now use the spur alignment... I just watched the interview of the gaffer of Deep Impact Entry in sagupaan last monday and he shown what kind of alignment he used and to my surprise its a spur alignment.... They are the champion of the 7 stag derby....

I also watched several fights in the January 2007 world slasher cup and most of the alignment is aligned inside...

Do you have any idea why most of the bigtime gaffers used the spur alignment? Why not the prop toe alignment which is more accurate?

I am not favoring any alignment here I just want to know the basis and the theory behind. I am just a beginner and no experience to attest which is the best...

More winnings to all!

My alignment is the spur and prop toe. combine the two then you have the most deadly cuts up & down. Try to analyze the slow mo of thunderbird adds, see how the cock punch.
    Takot kasi ang ibang mananari na gumamit nyan kasi raw pasok, sabit sa kanang paa at di mapagkakatiwalaan. Next tym i'll try to post my own sight w/ the combination of the two... bili muna ako digicam.... hehehe....

tiklap

How did you do it?

Hmmnnn... this really make sense, I guess..

I begin to imagine this alignment correct me if I'm wrong, The base of the neck is near to the prop toe and the tip will be at the middle of the spur line? Am I right this will create a "V" shape if seen at the bottom?

Or

The neck of the blade is parallel to the prop toe but the blade itself is preset or tilted to the right with the point exactly in the middle of the spur line?

Post Thanks / Like

More winnings to all!
    they enjoy drag fights.....both alignment can kill anyway...

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Gaffing Lesson - Safety or Accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by armandoviray23@
    prop toe alignment is accurate and safe base on my experience.prop toe alignment has small opening but deeply penetrated makes the opponent standing dead.spur alignment "the balabag"big wounds"less penetration and gives the opponent a chance to strike back.and if both are balabag it goes to the drag.
    Nice input sir... Very good infos to hear from all you out there..

Post Thanks / Like

How did you do it?

Hmmnnn... this really make sense, I guess..

I begin to imagine this alignment correct me if I'm wrong, The base of the neck is near to the prop toe and the tip will be at the middle of the spur line? Am I right this will create a "V" shape if seen at the bottom?

Or

The neck of the blade is parallel to the prop toe but the blade itself is preset or tilted to the right with the point exactly in the middle of the spur line?

place the blade align w/ the prop toe and the neck is in the center of the spur... there will be the V angle on it. when raise the cock's leg at 45 degrees it will set at 12:00-12:10 but if stretch at leg full it will set at 2:00 - 2:30... Isn't it hard??? practice and have the guts you can make it...

Post Thanks / Like

Both alignments can kill so it does not really matter which way you go, the other rooster is a moving target anyway, hehehe !!! What I have observed though is that when in full flight, most roosters hit with their feet with a out to in direction, like a left to right then back to left motion, their feet going across the body. To me, this would suit the spur alignment. But when they are hitting near the ground, say flying across or just jumping to attack the other rooster, they hit with with their feet in an up and down motion, feet remains parallel to the body, just like pedalling a bicycle. This to me, would suit the prop toe alignment. Anyway, I have seen a lot of roosters having a hard time killing a downed oponent during big time derbies, even at the WSD, and most of the time, it seems to me that the knife is too long and set way inside, aligned more with the spur than the prop toe.
    Last edited by Rigolleto; October 19th, 2007 at 07:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

this is orig posted by ixprecious,
    this might help.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih7jlyGgiMg

tiklap

Nice comment Sir Rigolleto!

Now I understand your previous post. hehehehe....

Now its getting clearer why wsd fights last only in seconds because most of the fights started in the air and the accuracy of spur alignment is when two cocks hit each other in the air...

So it is logical for a gaffer specially in the big time to have an edge in the first buckle because if you will wait for the ground fight most probably your cock was already damage before it happen...

More more more comments will surely give us knowledge in gaffing!!!!

Let's get it on!

SkYLine

whats the best allignment sir? prop toe is parallel to the base of the knife or the knife should be in the middle of the prop toe and the spur which forms letter V?

thanks
    skyline

Post Thanks / Like

More winnings to all!
    Because Filipinos are "copy-cats".Don't mean to offend my fellow brothers!,but that's true! They copy what the other guy is doing! Spur alignment then the other gaffer will copy.If the spur alignment works for you than use it!In my experience if you want your rooster to kick alot and put on a show,than tie the spur aim!Iwant to kill my opponent fast or he kills me fast!You don't have to cut a chicken in half to kill him!
    Kaibigan Tiklap,
    The way I see it you favor the spur aim more than the prop toe aim! Tie the spur way! You will be disappointed alot! I mean no offense to you!,but good luck!!!!
    deadlygaffer
    Last edited by deadlygaffer; October 19th, 2007 at 07:51 AM.

tiklap

Quote Originally Posted by deadlygaffer
    Because Filipinos are "copy-cats".Don't mean to offend my fellow brothers!,but that's true! They copy what the other guy is doing! Spur alignment then the other gaffer will copy.If the spur alignment works for you than use it!In my experience if you want your rooster to kick alot and put on a show,than tie the spur aim!Iwant to kill my opponent fast or he kills me fast!You don't have to cut a chicken in half to kill him!
    Kaibigan Tiklap,
    The way I see it you favor the spur aim more than the prop toe aim! Tie the spur way! You will be disappointed alot! I mean no offense to you!,but good luck!!!!
    deadygaffer

Nice advice Sir!

Honestly I am not favoring any alignment here, I just want to comment base on my observation in the gaffing fad nowadays. As I mentioned earlier I never had any concrete experience that will attest which is really better. That's why through your comments and honest opinion I am beginning to learn the logic behind every gaffing technique.

For me using an alignment without sound theory is futile because you will end up in the principle "The end justify the means". If my cock won it will vindicate my alignment even if it is vague. Atleast because of your suggestions and advise you are leading us newbies to the right direction in our gaffing career.

Thanks Sir for all your post... There are only few people in the world who are unselfish in sharing their knowledge about anything in order for others not to be misled... and you are all one of those very few...

More winnings!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice advice Sir!

Honestly I am not favoring any alignment here, I just want to comment base on my observation in the gaffing fad nowadays. As I mentioned earlier I never had any concrete experience that will attest which is really better. That's why through your comments and honest opinion I am beginning to learn the logic behind every gaffing technique.

For me using an alignment without sound theory is futile because you will end up in the principle "The end justify the means". If my cock won it will vindicate my alignment even if it is vague. Atleast because of your suggestions and advise you are leading us newbies to the right direction in our gaffing career.

Thanks Sir for all your post... There are only few people in the world who are unselfish in sharing their knowledge about anything in order for others not to be misled... and you are all one of those very few...

More winnings!

My unsolicited advise is this, if you tie the knife on your own roosters, try to observe how they deliver their blows and align the knife accordingly. If you don't know the rooster, align the knife midway between the prop toe and the spur. Personally, I prefer to align more towards the prop toe. By the way, my knives do not have the standard alignment, the design is based on the Malaysian blade, American gaff and the Vietnamese gaff. Interestingly, all of these three have the same basic alignment which is almost opposite to the Filipino LK alignment, try to visualize and hope that make sense, hehehe !!!
    Last edited by Rigolleto; October 19th, 2007 at 08:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

i use proptoe alignment when i tie my knife,and when i see my opponent with a spur alignment i rejoice in silence because i know if in the first buckle the opponent cant break the knife legs of my cock my opponent will end up standing dead.when i inspect the wound of my "bihag"there is only one very small opening and when i open the body its devastated inside.i have watched almost all WSC dvd almost all fights end to a drag and some end up in a draw because almost all are balabag tied.but for those gaffer who tie the spur alignment please do so and stay what u believe is good for you it can kill anyway.good luck hehehehe.please dont ever change your style...happy cocking...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by armandoviray23@
    i use proptoe alignment when i tie my knife,and when i see my opponent with a spur alignment i rejoice in silence because i know if in the first buckle the opponent cant break the knife legs of my cock my opponent will end up standing dead.when i inspect the wound of my "bihag"there is only one very small opening and when i open the body its devastated inside.i have watched almost all WSC dvd almost all fights end to a drag and some end up in a draw because almost all are balabag tied.but for those gaffer who tie the spur alignment please do so and stay what u believe is good for you it can kill anyway.good luck hehehehe.please dont ever change your style...happy cocking...

I agree 101% !!! I was even more convinced about the effectiveness of this setting when I saw the alignment of the Vietnamese gaff, the gaff is actually on top of the prop toe. It took me a lot of convincing but my brother who fights here in gaffs was winning with them so when we went to the Phils last year, we had prototype knives made using this alignment and we had a quite a high winning percentage using only average roosters. Because we were just testing and did not bet too much, we did not use expensive roosters.

tiklap

Thanks nice infos sir Rigolleto and Armando!

This will be my final inquiry:

If I will try using a prop toe alignment how long will be the length of my knife?

Lets say following the usual measurement from the base of the prop toe up to what part of the leg joint?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rigolleto
    I agree 101% !!! I was even more convinced about the effectiveness of this setting when I saw the alignment of the Vietnamese gaff, the gaff is actually on top of the prop toe. It took me a lot of convincing but my brother who fights here in gaffs was winning with them so when we went to the Phils last year, we had prototype knives made using this alignment and we had a quite a high winning percentage using only average roosters. Because we were just testing and did not bet too much, we did not use expensive roosters.

Sir Rigolleto that setting is actually a "partida" in our place. We call it "Haw as kamanuhi" in waray. It was the bread and butter of my mentor during hacks. It's devastating so to speak!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks nice infos sir Rigolleto and Armando!

This will be my final inquiry:

If I will try using a prop toe alignment how long will be the length of my knife?

Lets say following the usual measurement from the base of the prop toe up to what part of the leg joint?

My longest knife is 3" the shortest is 2 5/8". Most of the time, I use 2 3/4" to 2 7/8". My rule of thumb is longer knife for single strokers and shorter knife for multiple shufflers. This is my personal choice, I'm happy with the results, it is really up to you to decide which is best for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BANDERADO
    PASOK... pics from bakbakan derby..... the opponent won.....but both roosters came out dead.......fight only took 3 buckles......

http://img153.imagevenue.com/img.php..._123_766lo.JPG

With a prop toe aim(well placed) only 1 buckle instead of 3,well that's the way I see it!

deadlygaffer

//

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jack_kie
    Sir Rigolleto that setting is actually a "partida" in our place. We call it "Haw as kamanuhi" in waray. It was the bread and butter of my mentor during hacks. It's devastating so to speak!
    Bai Jack_kie,
    I agree with you 110%,that "partida"We call it "Sad-ang" in Ilokano.The knife is placed above the prop toe. Yes it's very devastating!!Best tied on strong and aggressive type roosters!
    deadlygaffer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jack_kie
    Bai Jack_kie,
    I agree with you 110%,that "partida"We call it "Sad-ang" in Ilokano.The knife is placed above the prop toe. Yes it's very devastating!!Best tied on strong and aggressive type roosters!
    deadlygaffer

SkYLine

whats the best allignment sir? prop toe is parallel to the base of the knife or the knife should be in the middle of the prop toe and the spur which forms letter V?

thanks
    skyline

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SkYLine

thanks
    skyline
    For me, the better alignment is in between the prop toe and the spur....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jomari_pua
    For me, the better alignment is in between the prop toe and the spur....

CORRECT!!! yun talaga gamit ko kasi madali pumatay. to proved it, i won the 3 stags derby here in gensan last night (oct 19) with my two entries scoring 3 pts each meaning double champion. one - two buckle lang dive agad ang kalaban....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRAZI
    gs_lemon, I cant wait to see you tie your knife. See you in December.

Dalhi ko nami nga blade. kung me madala ka made in germany color GRAY na 1.25 ang wide ng HSS mas nami.....

filamforks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlygaffer
    Kaibigan Tiklap,
    deadlygaffer
    Deadlygaffer,

So, if 10 fellow Pilipino gaffers(including you) will see me tie my knife by myself(without a handler)in a derby, how many would you think will copy what I am doing? Will you be one of them?

filamforks

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Gaffing Lesson - Safety or Accuracy?

Any Pictures Proptoe Alignment And Spurr Alignment ,please Ignore My Ignorante,salamat Po

tiklap

Quote Originally Posted by Rigolleto
    My longest knife is 3" the shortest is 2 5/8". Most of the time, I use 2 3/4" to 2 7/8". My rule of thumb is longer knife for single strokers and shorter knife for multiple shufflers. This is my personal choice, I'm happy with the results, it is really up to you to decide which is best for you.
    Sir Rigolleto,

How do you measure the length of your knife is it from the back of the garol going to the tip of the blade or from the neck to the tip of the blade? or you only measure the blade exclusive of the garol and neck?

Hope you enlighten me with this...

Thanks,
    Last edited by tiklap; October 22nd, 2007 at 07:35 AM.

sadik jr

I My Opinion Base On My Experience And I Did It Very Well With 100% Accurate.

Must Of The Bird Fight Kick With A Bit Slap. You Have To Tie Knife Aiming The Position That Hit In Any Angle. Either Suffler Or Breaker. There Is An Positon That Hit In Any Angle Base On My Experience.

It Hard To Say Due To Opposing Opinion.it Would Be The Best Your Own Experiment Will Be Done Quite Good.

Post Thanks / Like

Sir Rigolleto,

How do you measure the length of your knife is it from the back of the garol going to the tip of the blade or from the neck to the tip of the blade? or you only measure the blade exclusive of the garol and neck?

Hope you enlighten me with this...

Thanks,

Length I mentioned was measured from the tip of the blade up to the where it joins with the fork so I suppose that includes the neck