Thread: Crossing

remixboi

Crossing

If Your Breeding A Pair Of Roundheads And You Want To Cross The Roundhead Hen To Hatch Cock, After The Mating, Can You Go Back To The Roundhead Cock Again From The First Mating.. One Of The Cockers Telling Me That You Can't Have Pure Roundheads Anymore After Crossing It With A Hatch.. Anybody Has Inputs On This.. Thanks...

luckypunch

Re: Crossing

up....................

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by remixboi
    If Your Breeding A Pair Of Roundheads And You Want To Cross The Roundhead Hen To Hatch Cock, After The Mating, Can You Go Back To The Roundhead Cock Again From The First Mating.. One Of The Cockers Telling Me That You Can't Have Pure Roundheads Anymore After Crossing It With A Hatch.. Anybody Has Inputs On This.. Thanks...
    Don't believe that. It doesn't make any sense. You can breed it back.

Post Thanks / Like

if you breedback the offspring of the hatch-roundhead to the pure roundhead cock, you'll get 3/4 roundhead and 1/4 hatch. So, that's not a pure roundhead coz there's a quarter blood of hatch in them. But, this mating should produce some good cutting battle fowl.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the Old Timers would kill any hen that was inadvertantly bred by a dunghill becuase they thought that they were forever contaminated... thats not so... there are several thoughts about cleaning out hens... some say to put the new cock in with her and throw the eggs away for 2 weeks & after that the new, fresher sperm will kill//over ride the old sperm ( I use this method ). Others will say that ya have to let the hen set for a complete cycle so that her brooding fever kills all the sperm... there's lots of other beleifs too... thing is, you CAN breed pure stuff out of her again... just be careful. That said... I NEVER cross my proven brood hens that are slotted for pure stuff... EVER... thats just me.