Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Line-breeding, henside or cockside?

Post Thanks / Like

Line-breeding, henside or cockside?

I would like to solicit the opinion of everyone on the issue of line-breeding. When you linebreed to perpetuate a particular bloodline of which you still have both parent materials, which side do you usually line-breed to, the henside or the cockside? May I know the rationale for doing either?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Line-breeding, henside or cockside?

any info from our fellow cockmates.....i know both.

Post Thanks / Like

you can breed both side and cross their line after 3 generation

junebug32

Quote Originally Posted by BantonSpur
    I would like to solicit the opinion of everyone on the issue of line-breeding. When you linebreed to perpetuate a particular bloodline of which you still have both parent materials, which side do you usually line-breed to, the henside or the cockside? May I know the rationale for doing either?
    I linebreed both sides espeacialy if the brood cock is a multiple winner and the brood hens brothers are winners.

Post Thanks / Like

Both same depends...on you.

joeySinger

Quote Originally Posted by BantonSpur
    Line-breeding rhymes with line-dancing, just kidding bro, ha ha ha.

Post Thanks / Like

if you like the cock's trait, then.....
    proceed to the cock side

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you can do linebreeding on both sides. But in my opinion, i like to do linebreding on the henside. Why? you can choose & select the best offspring to linebred by pit testing them, the one to linebred for each generation is the best specimen at least a derby/hackfight winner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daecox
    Yes, you can do linebreeding on both sides. But in my opinion, i like to do linebreding on the henside. Why? you can choose & select the best offspring to linebred by pit testing them, the one to linebred for each generation is the best specimen at least a derby/hackfight winner.
    I agree to linebreed on the henside. It's been a while since I raised chickens, but for me the female carries the physical characeristics, and when you inbreed you get degeneration in size, deformities, high-strung chickens and assuming that you want to get as close to the original as possible, I'd go with the hen.

just my 2 cents. have a great day.

Post Thanks / Like

Either Side or Both sides. Carol Nesmith i think wrote something that was featured in Cockfights or was it ******** which tells you to breed to both sides especially if its between to different lines.

That way, you are maintaining both outstanding lines. That's in the premise that both sides
    cock and hen are outstanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brewer
    Either Side or Both sides. Carol Nesmith i think wrote something that was featured in Cockfights or was it ******** which tells you to breed to both sides especially if its between to different lines.

That way, you are maintaining both outstanding lines. That's in the premise that both sides cock and hen are outstanding.

Yes, I agree. my (mistaken) thought was that you were linebreeding a particular strain, say full hatch or full sweater, etc. both sides already. apologies for confusion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slwnstdy

Yes, I agree. my (mistaken) thought was that you were linebreeding a particular strain, say full hatch or full sweater, etc. both sides already. apologies for confusion
    interesting indeed

Post Thanks / Like

That way, you are maintaining both outstanding lines. That's in the premise that both sides
    I realized also, i was kinda vague with this one.

I guess if we're talking about a cock and a hen of the same breed. That answer would still
    be ;you could breed to either side or both sides.

Makes it even more vague. oh well. let's wish the more seasoned breeders would see this thread and share their thoughts on this one.

Cheers.

expressdelivery

bro alex-g has a nice post about this subject
    he explained clearly how they perpetuated their own lemon bloodline

i myself
    is a follower of cockside linebreeding
    here are my reasons why:
    1.i know that the broodcock is a multiple winner
    2.i know his particular fighting style and like his power,
    speed,aggressiveness and killer instinct
    3.i know he has the right size and station and weight that i prefer
    to use in breeding...........don`t like using small,low stationed
    broodcock no matter how good........i just don`t like ......hehehe...that`s me.
    4.we crossed him to different hens and we are more than satisfied with their offsprings
    winning performance.

Post Thanks / Like

both side can be use but its really up to you which side you like to continue

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, it would depend if you are trying to perpetuate a strain in general without adding outside blood or to increase the genetic contribution of a single outstanding individual in your family. For example if you have an exceptional hen that consistently produces outstanding offspring, you may want to increase her specific contribution to the gene pool, thereby increasing the chances of reproducing those traits of hers that you desire to reproduce. Same in the case of an outstanding cock. In the case of the outstanding individuals, I would line breed the blood of that individual in on both sides of the line. In other words breed individuals on both the hen and cock sides containing the blood of the outstanding individual so that that individuals genes come into the mating from both the male and female sides. Frank Shy (Narraganset) was a believer in this method. His book on breeding explains how he goes about accomplishing this. In the case of perpetuation of a family, not just an outstanding individual, linebreed to both sides, keeping the proportion of contribution equal to both the hen and cock until that outstanding individual is found then go to the linebreeding method for outstanding individuals. Good Luck!

filamforks

Quote Originally Posted by crawbound
    In my opinion, it would depend if you are trying to perpetuate a strain in general without adding outside blood or to increase the genetic contribution of a single outstanding individual in your family. For example if you have an exceptional hen that consistently produces outstanding offspring, you may want to increase her specific contribution to the gene pool, thereby increasing the chances of reproducing those traits of hers that you desire to reproduce. Same in the case of an outstanding cock. In the case of the outstanding individuals, I would line breed the blood of that individual in on both sides of the line. In other words breed individuals on both the hen and cock sides containing the blood of the outstanding individual so that that individuals genes come into the mating from both the male and female sides. Frank Shy (Narraganset) was a believer in this method. His book on breeding explains how he goes about accomplishing this. In the case of perpetuation of a family, not just an outstanding individual, linebreed to both sides, keeping the proportion of contribution equal to both the hen and cock until that outstanding individual is found then go to the linebreeding method for outstanding individuals. Good Luck!

I've been following his(F. Shy's) breeding methods especially in the aspect of increasing or maintaining the genetic contribution of a single outstanding individual in a family or strain and, so far it's been working well for me.

filamforks

expressdelivery

breeding two gamefowls
    with almost same fighting style
    YIN and YANG of breeding

Post Thanks / Like

It is a matter of trial and error...there's no such perfect choice...if you've hit it at the hen or cock side, then stay with it.

For me, I'd rather breed on both side and see which is superior.

PROMISE KEEPER- soon will rise!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sir Brewer but I actually mean both parents of the same bloodline. Yes both can be done with good results but which do you think would give us better control of the traits we are looking for in our fowls.

Thank you all for the very nice inputs... more please...

Post Thanks / Like

In order to try & reproduce the Nick, you will need to linebreed back to both sides.

Also, When you linebreed back to a good cock, you may end up with a good cock to replace him & maybe not. All depends on your fowl & your selection. Just don't forget about the pullets that are out of that Linebreeding. They more than likely will be very good producing hens, if the fowl were good to start with. Lot of good producing hens come out of linebreeding back to a producing cock. Who gets more of his traits?

Post Thanks / Like

But there are times that I was thinking that this "scientific" breeding was only true on papers and not on the real world...coz offsprings are still not perfectly uniform in terms of fighting style and performances.

expressdelivery

Quote Originally Posted by colt39
    In order to try & reproduce the Nick, you will need to linebreed back to both sides.

Also, When you linebreed back to a good cock, you may end up with a good cock to replace him & maybe not. All depends on your fowl & your selection. Just don't forget about the pullets that are out of that Linebreeding. They more than likely will be very good producing hens, if the fowl were good to start with. Lot of good producing hens come out of linebreeding back to a producing cock. Who gets more of his traits?
    that`s the main reason
    why i prefer cockside linebreeding

in cockside linebreeding
    when you use a good size broodcock
    even if you line breed
    the pullets are not too small.....due to inbreeding depression

unlike when you use a small inbred broodhens
    which most of them are
    the stags offsprings are mostly small too
    the hens have high percentage of passing their body structure to her sons

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Brew.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colt39

Thank you for honoring my post Sir!!!

I never knew this part of your post... Thank you for the very important information,

Good luck to your breeding sir. May you keep those Cardinals, Roundheads and Brownreds coming...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expressdelivery
    that`s the main reason
    why i prefer cockside linebreeding

in cockside linebreeding
    when you use a good size broodcock
    even if you line breed
    the pullets are not too small.....due to inbreeding depression

unlike when you use a small inbred broodhens
    which most of them are
    the stags offsprings are mostly small too
    the hens have high percentage of passing their body structure to her sons
    Thank you for the wonderful information Sir ExpressDelivery!!

Good luck to your fights...

Post Thanks / Like

would anyone know if frank shy's book on breeding is still in print? where or how can i get one and how much? enquiring minds want to know.
    cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

somebody says henside is the best,he said you can lose the cocks but not the hen.and i believe him

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, i think hen side is the best linebreed .

filamforks

Quote Originally Posted by boolick
    would anyone know if frank shy's book on breeding is still in print? where or how can i get one and how much? enquiring minds want to know.
    cheers.

I think it's still being sold by Gamecock Magazine publications.

filamforks