Thread: Feeds

beefman

Feeds

Can I get your opinion on your conditioning feeds?
    Their are many different kind of mixtures and I know many people have their own style.
    What percentage do you use on the different kinds of feeds?
    (Whole Corn) (Wheat) (Oats) (Layer Pellets) (Calf mana) (Pigeon feeds) etc.....
    Last edited by beefman; January 19th, 2008 at 01:10 PM.

beefman

Re: Feeds

Is there anyone out there??? Or is it really a big secret to yourself?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beefman
    Is there anyone out there??? Or is it really a big secret to yourself?

get the seven kinds...it's all you need...chickens has small brains but they are very intelligent...they are the only animal that really balance their diet...not even half of the humans does that...if you give them even portion of feeds, grains, etc...they will only eat what they need and leave portions of wheat,oats, corn etc....for the next meals...

redm

interesting....more info please!!!!! .

Post Thanks / Like

If these are picky eaters and leave behind other grains, etc..REDUCE the portion of morning and afternoon feeds in order for them to get used to FINISHING UP what's on their "plates" so to speak until they really get the hand of it, i.e., finishing up everything. Show them who's boss. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

My feed mixture for conditioning... I use it two months before fight. Before I change to this mixture I gradually reduced the previous mixture I use in their maintenance. In first three days I use 75% mixture of maintenance feed and 25% of conditioning feeds, then 50-50 for second 3 days, 25-75 for the third 3 days and 100%conditioning mixture in the 10th day and this is the first day for pre-conditioning my chickens for one month.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c...ingmixture.jpg

safiro

eating manner is one of the factors regarding selection, many prefers a voracious eater meaning they empty their cup ASAP.they should be eating whatever feeds/grains.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kogmohon
    get the seven kinds...it's all you need...chickens has small brains but they are very intelligent...they are the only animal that really balance their diet...not even half of the humans does that...if you give them even portion of feeds, grains, etc...they will only eat what they need and leave portions of wheat,oats, corn etc....for the next meals...
    kogmohon is right, use the cafeteria style of feeding. Bring out all of the grains and the chicken will select which he would eat.

Post Thanks / Like

Narragansett's basic feeds consists of:
    40% soaked race horse oats. Soak in wooden barrels or plastic Ash cans out in the sun for three or four days so they begin to sour.

20% whole corn

10% dry race horse oats

7 1/2% wheat

5% sunflower seed

10% laying pellets

I mix up the dry feed and store in a barrel, then mix in the soaked oats just before feeding. This mixture is put together by using a good sized pan for measuring and dumping the grain in a big pail where it is mixed, then dump the pailful into a 55 gallon oil drum where it is mixed some more. The chickens get this feed from 12 weeks on as long as they live. That way they become accustomed to eating whole corn which is the best way to feed this grain. In cold weather the proportion of whole corn is increased up to 40% of the total and the soaked oats reduced. In the keep I cut way down on the soaked oats but don't eliminate them entirely. It is interesting to observe the reaction of the fowl to this grain mixture. In hot weather the whole corn is the last thing they eat, whereas in cold weather they gobble up every kernel of whole corn before they touch any of the other grains. I am a great respecter of nature, and endeavor to go along with it just as far as I possibly can in everything pertaining to the feeding and care of the fowl. You will notice that this basic feed which I use is heavy in sour and whole oats. This makes for prolonged slow growth and late maturity. Both features are desirable in growing young stock. Flesh and fat can be acquired in relatively short period of time, but strong bone development and strong ligamentss and sinews require time. You cannot hurry them. The longer you can keep young stock growing, the tougher and stronger their bone and sinew structure will be at maturity. It is far better to have stags strong and husky in April than it is to have them fully matured in September.

"Fresh green grass is the No. 1 feed in th world for chickens, especially from 8 weeks old until cooped, and all during the precondition and the Keep. The soaked sour oats described previously are next best. The more sour the better. Be sure to feed them 12 weeks old, and forever after."

By Frank Shy aka Narragansett.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinalupan
    If these are picky eaters and leave behind other grains, etc..REDUCE the portion of morning and afternoon feeds in order for them to get used to FINISHING UP what's on their "plates" so to speak until they really get the hand of it, i.e., finishing up everything. Show them who's boss. LOL

like i said...chickens are animal of habits...they are not being picky...they just know how to balance their meal...they only ate what their body need at a time...our misconception is that
    because it left out a lot of whole corn they don't like whole corn...when the reality is...they already consumed what their body needs in that particular meal and the rest they save for
    the next...chickens are the only animal who always balance their meal...thats why when you
    put them in the range...they always continue to hunt for food to get the proper nutrients that
    their body needs...