Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grit & Steel Interview (Duke Hulsey)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grit & Steel Interview (Duke Hulsey)

I can tell ya one thing. Duke developed the cyanide capsule. It will give the cock your pitting the look of being hit with a heart shot on the first pitting. Seen it in action first hand. I know he played politics in the filipines and fought to keep Mike Ratliff from getting an invitation to the islands for a long time. But Mike did eventually go. But I may be wrong about this, but it was after Duke returned back to the states or somewhere close to that time..
    Last edited by irishcutt; July 5th, 2010 at 10:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1handkneehigh
    ..he introduced the states to the long knife,,,,,,,,it went in the drain from that moment on...

..Duke may have been a hero over there,but in the states he was a chicken theif of the lowest form..
    Wow I didnt know Duke was a thief

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the wonderful information

Post Thanks / Like

I think he was referrering to the Long Knife as the "poison", some people think that it let "the sport go to gamblers, dope dealers, and moneymen". see below link page 401

http://books.google.com/books?id=wGb...eviant&f=false

Post Thanks / Like

great read... Thanks for the wonderful info sir camarines!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMax
    Just an opinon: Yes it can be possible that the Duke infused some other blood into the Hulseys (as called by Mr. Eddie V. Ledesma) or the Lemon 84s.

Mr. Tony Yasay, Mr. Ed's close friend told me a few months ago that he saw off colored cocks on the yard of Mr. Paeng Araneta out of the close inbreeding of Mr. Araneta. Mr. Yasay said that Paeng himself told him that a gold (pumpkin) or a dom-colored offspring comes out when close relatives are mated for several generations probably in the ratio of 1:20.

the butcher that was used in the making of the 84's was pumkin in color...blueface was the hatch (bigtail) and madigin claret...they were especially breed for the philippine longknife...

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=BUTCH2526]
    Quote Originally Posted by chainandcycle
    Same thing with the yard of the father of the late Batchoy. But what I've noticed then was that it has no more power the way the Trebols, Mongoose, Lancey, Cuenca, Yulo and the rest has nowadays. The only thing they have was the cutting as I won a lot of fights using the progenies of the fowl I got from the yard of the senior Alunan compliments of Vicente Vivero. You know so well that there were three Viveros of Bacolod. The good, the bad and the ugly. The ugly being the mainstay of Smith but known even to the late Alex Montelibano especially during election times. Hahahahahaaaaaa.

So back to Dukes lines, I do not understand why when I was a kid in Bacolod it was only known as Hulsey. Only through this thread that I learned that Cecils of the late congressman. But go to Murcia it is always Cecil Lemon.] as a new starter to the sport and being an ilonggo i wish sir you could help me someday of acquiring a so called lemon 84 of MR PAENG ARANETA,or whoever i could approach in bacolod ,salamat gd!

there were two kinds of cecil's that the duke brought to bacolod...the cecil jones albany which were called cecil lemon and the green legged cecil hatch that were kentucky hatch...

Post Thanks / Like

Just to put this thread up!

Post Thanks / Like

Jorge Araneta called me and said Duke if there is enough good rooster in the United States, I want you to bring them over here and fight them and I don't want anyone to know you are here. I picked up every rooster I could find that was an ACE cock.

Very interesting................
    Last edited by bebs espinosa; July 7th, 2010 at 11:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rovic View Post
    brod that's a nice one,do you have any idea if Carlos Mendez is still active in sabong or his phone# i'm interested in Mr. DUKE keep.THANKS

Mr. Carlos Mendez is still active, he´s in McAllen Texas.

Post Thanks / Like

thank u for posting thast column it was great to read something of that history

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a good article and another fella that didn't work his roosters, ya'll might know the guy,,,lol

Post Thanks / Like

Duke could get chickens from anyone in the world he didn't have to steal them

Post Thanks / Like

June 1996, The Gamecock Magazine article by Caraway.
    DUNIVAN’S SHOW OFF DUMMY BLENDS

Around the year 1962, we ordered a trio of Kearney Whitehackles from Mr. Dennis D. Dunivan in Marion, IN, for the outrageous price of $50.00. When they arrive they were exactly what we need--large fowl--as out old family of Kearneys were on the small side. The stag was a medium red with white in the wing and tails with yellow legs. The pullets were buff, one with yellow and one with white legs, all were straight comb. Evidently the were bred heavy to the Duryea Whitehackle side.

Our old family that came from Mr. Paul Weaver, tha he received as a gift from Mr. Harry Kearney, were out of a brown red cock and two Duryea Whitehackle pea-combed yellow-legged hens, beautiful red with hailstones spangle all over. Males from this family came mahogany to brown red, hens wheaton and black. How we got the Weaver is interesting but that’s another article.

Well we lost the the Dunivan stag and bred the pullets to an ace Weaver cock; this mating came to be called the White Kearneys. It was the infusion of the Dunivan blood that prompted this article “Dunivan’s Show-off Dummy Blends”

Most cocks today are smart; they know when they are whipped and use that intelligence so as not to be an embarrassment to their opponent. One example, about 1967 at Boxwood we met a very wealthy man I called Rolls Royce as that is what he drove to the pit. His chicken man was John Dillinger. We met them in the derby and as I was trying to get a wager before they turn them loose, I heard the crowd bring the house down and;; when I looked at the pit, our rooster was on the score line and he looked dead to me, head black, tail down and rattled to dead, and all my handler said was we got caught. Well count out time, right? Not at all, Ole Rolls told his handler to let him work the down cock and proceeded to give the cock’s breeding, etc. On the way to the drag pit, Rolls patted me on the shoulder and said, “Son, if you;’ll get you some fighting chickens you might win a derby.”

After four or five pittings the red cock had not cut the Kearney a lick and John wanted to count us out but Rolls said no. But as the plot thickened I bet he wished he had. Now here’s where the show off dummy comes into play. All he would have to do was lay there and sooner or later be counted out but no he acted dumb. He moved his head and to show off, he pecked. I told my partner we were going to win this fight and he said he had seen them come back from the dead but we would never win this one. The only thing he can move was his head and neck. Well one hour later the Kearney had the red ace by the hackles and counted him out. This is not the only case when these show off dummies have embarrassed others but when we left the pit I’m sure I made Ole Rolls feel better when I patted him on the shoulder and consolingly said, “Rolls, get yourself some game chickens and you might win a derby.”

These show off dummies will cost you a lot of time and messed with your mind. How so? Like what you’re going to buy the little lady after the derby and, do you have any idea how long it takes to polish trophies.

After reading this, if you buy chickens from Mr. Dennis Dunivan and want to embarrass your fellow cockers, I guarantee you will get the same fowl as us and I’ll bet his wife is cut from the same mold. This is not an ad, we have never sold a Kearney and never will. If you need good fowl I think you’re smart enough to know where to go. By the way Rolls, the White Kearneys have won many derbies.