Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellow Legged Clarets?

hardtail70

Yellow Legged Clarets?

I bought a trio off a local guy here in Tennessee and he was nice enough to give me a couple dozen eggs out of his brood pens. Of those eggs I had 3 Clarets to hatch... all with yellow legs. I've only seen white legged ones before (I never noticed what the color legs the chickens in the brood pen had). Is this some older breed or just a fluke?

2. Likes Smiles liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yellow Legged Clarets?

hmmmmm up!!!!!!!!!

hardtail70

800 people on here and nobody knows?

Post Thanks / Like

mr mac white has yellow legged clarets.

6. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hardtail70
    I bought a trio off a local guy here in Tennessee and he was nice enough to give me a couple dozen eggs out of his brood pens. Of those eggs I had 3 Clarets to hatch... all with yellow legs. I've only seen white legged ones before (I never noticed what the color legs the chickens in the brood pen had). Is this some older breed or just a fluke?

Griffin Clarets come out straight comb and yellow legged.

8. Likes LaBlue, southernX liked this post
    ronking

its infused wit something else...the original clarets is pearl white legged...

Post Thanks / Like

asking 4 a yellow legged claret? check out Bruce Jones of Pinnon Hatch farm

Post Thanks / Like

2 B honest With U! I think there R/is more yellow legged Claret blood out there than the White legged one's! Claret blood is kinda like the kelso blood!U will find some white legged and U will find some Yellow legged,pea comb and also straight combed....NO need 2 B alarmed,it's not strange for them 2 B yellow legged.

12. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

griffin clarets as bred by Herman Griffin are mostly yellow legged. He used to walk fowls for Col. Madigin.

14. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

just sharing my yellowleg claret stag..........hope my claret look like yours may be i got the wrong one too.........

Post Thanks / Like

long leaf gamefarm of norland blount and chris have some real nice yellow legged clarets, they cross really well with their hugn norman roundheads. pic below is the yellow legged clarets from norland blount.
    http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...7/Image448.jpg

17. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

according to Bruce Jones grandson of H. Pinnon the original claret are yellow legs as told by his grand father then but when Madigan got hold of them he cross them with butchers does the pearl white leg
    Last edited by ramun; May 18th, 2008 at 10:16 PM.

BUGAS

i Think This Are Griffins!correct Me If Im Wrong!?
    Last edited by BUGAS; May 18th, 2008 at 07:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

interesting!... i have always thought that clarets were white leggeds.

Post Thanks / Like

Blondie Roland, Elmer Griffin, Wendall Loveday, William Macrae, Ray Alexander, Just to name a few, all had yards of Y/L Clarets Blondie had 5 yards of Clarets most of which came Y/L and 100% straight combed, In regards to P' combed Clarets I have never seen any of the above mentioned men's Clarets that came P' combed...

Post Thanks / Like

Don King has YL Claretsand white too (Throwback)

My Friend was able to acquired a pair. Broodcock is white and hen is light chocolate color. will post picture sometime next wk.
    Last edited by 9thCastle; May 18th, 2008 at 11:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a yellow legged claret (2x derby winner) from VAD Farm, Negros. Medyo tinamaan ng tari sa may baba kaya medyo lumawlaw ang baba. Yan lang ang naging sugat nya sa 2 fights nya. Lately, I used to crossed with a 1/2BB sweater 1/2Albany hen.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...0080208342.jpg
    Last edited by OREVON; May 18th, 2008 at 03:56 PM.

hardtail70

Thanks for all the replies. These chicks are only 2 weeks old so I dont know what they will look like as adults, but here are a couple pics I took this morning...

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3.../Picture-1.jpg
    http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...Picture005.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Before I was mostly a fan of white legged dark spur dark red claret but now I have some yellow legged ones and they have proven themselves to be some the best chickens I have owned.

26. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a story of the strain in a old gamecock mag. I also just got some this past winter to bread. The way I understand this strain is white legg black spur and this is the way mine come as well. More than likly somebody put something eles in that strain and all the others that showed yellow legg. The real strain of clarets are hard to get no one wants to sell the best, I even asked the cigar man about his before I found ones I could get he said he would not sell none here in the states. I do not blam him for the strain of white legg black spur claret is a bread of CLASS that cannot be found in most strains. I have 2 yards of the Madigin bloodline that I got from a breeder that got them from a man that worked for Mr. Madigan and as I understand it was only way to get them unless came from Davis who he left the Claret to. These come white and dark red like the wine they where named from (Claret) but either color all white legg black spur. The hen side was a Duryea Whitehackle and the cock side had few different strains where the black spur came from, then on the same cock side was bread back to a Duryea cock then bread out to a 1/8 as I understand. On the cock side was some yellow legg strains I am sure, one was a cock from John Beard we all have read the story of his fowl as the albany which was a hail storm colored (spangle) yellow legged bread and some other strains was put into as well like Pyle and one other that gave the white side to the cock side. And surly if there was yellow legged fowl in the make up there has to be the possibility of some coming out this way and the breeder may have bread back and back to that side. But I was told the ones I have will never through a yellow only white legg and black spur, I also seen his entire farm and seen it to be true as his yard after yard looked the same other than the white clarets he would bread back into just as they where no different than the reds. He told me this was the same practice was always done with this strain, and all his brood pins where single mating only. So I would say good luck with them they may be the best fowl you ever bread but I will stick to the white legg black spur.

28. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex-g
    griffin clarets as bred by Herman Griffin are mostly yellow legged. He used to walk fowls for Col. Madigin.

It's Elmer Griffin not Herman, my mistake.

Post Thanks / Like

hi ted hi u doin??? this is my claret broodcock that i got from longleaf..........

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...l/DSC00630.jpg

this is his offspring

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...l/IMG_1376.jpg

31. Thanks reymund thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice looking cock! Good luck on your breeding!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...l/DSC00630.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Taga_Cebu
    interesting!... i have always thought that clarets were white leggeds.

Me too! And always keep it in my mind.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

hanky deans will throw lite yellow.... duke hulsey clarets were yellow leg....

cigar

35. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Original Madigan Clarets came Yellow and White legged...He even wrote it to the magazines when he was mad about people selling clarets under his name even tho they dint have any of his blood. In reality Madigan and Deans actually dint have any idea the breeding of the daddy to the clarets, except he was supposedly outta a grey and white cock bred to a red hen and then to the Duryea hen that made the first Clarets...Madigan even stated that almost 70% of the original clarets came yellow legged but for some reason most folks bred to the white legged side. One reason was that Madigans' favorite yard was called the Black Spurred Jimmy Yard. We've been breeding the Clarets since 1946 and about 1 in a 100 will throw a yellow legged offspring. But make no mistake about it all pure Clarets have a shot of yellow legs in them. And that includes the ones that have Marsh Butcher in them. Marsh Butchers have yellow legs also..(now that will start something) LOL...But one of the main reasons people are getting alot of yellow legs is because E.W. Law sold many of the clarets he got from Madigan and he also sold his clarets that had a shot of Albany in them. The Albany/claret cross was originally called Clippers but many started calling them Clarets. The Griffin Clarets have a shot of that blood plus some Claiborne blood and other lines added to them as was written by Wendall Chandler many years ago. Plus the Duke Hulsey Clarets had Albany Blood in them that he got when he was feeding for Bobby Scheslinger of Virginia many years ago. He then swapped fowl with Walter Kelso to keep them going. But Dukes' come predominately white legged since thats about the way he liked them the most...
    Last edited by irishcutt; May 19th, 2008 at 11:38 PM.

37. Likes KevinG, chester liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be surprised if i'll see some yellow legged on them. What is really astonishing if some dark legged will come out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tadpole
    I got a story of the strain in a old gamecock mag. I also just got some this past winter to bread. The way I understand this strain is white legg black spur and this is the way mine come as well. More than likly somebody put something eles in that strain and all the others that showed yellow legg. The real strain of clarets are hard to get no one wants to sell the best, I even asked the cigar man about his before I found ones I could get he said he would not sell none here in the states. I do not blam him for the strain of white legg black spur claret is a bread of CLASS that cannot be found in most strains. I have 2 yards of the Madigin bloodline that I got from a breeder that got them from a man that worked for Mr. Madigan and as I understand it was only way to get them unless came from Davis who he left the Claret to. These come white and dark red like the wine they where named from (Claret) but either color all white legg black spur. The hen side was a Duryea Whitehackle and the cock side had few different strains where the black spur came from, then on the same cock side was bread back to a Duryea cock then bread out to a 1/8 as I understand. On the cock side was some yellow legg strains I am sure, one was a cock from John Beard we all have read the story of his fowl as the albany which was a hail storm colored (spangle) yellow legged bread and some other strains was put into as well like Pyle and one other that gave the white side to the cock side. And surly if there was yellow legged fowl in the make up there has to be the possibility of some coming out this way and the breeder may have bread back and back to that side. But I was told the ones I have will never through a yellow only white legg and black spur, I also seen his entire farm and seen it to be true as his yard after yard looked the same other than the white clarets he would bread back into just as they where no different than the reds. He told me this was the same practice was always done with this strain, and all his brood pins where single mating only. So I would say good luck with them they may be the best fowl you ever bread but I will stick to the white legg black spur.
    just a clarification. wasn't it supposed to be mr walter kelso who inherited the claret fowl on madigin's passing ?

pls see : the gamecock magazine, may 2008 issue page 30 (an article by gus frithiof)

Post Thanks / Like

yes it was kelso good catch my bad

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hardtail70

Try OREVON i know he got a 3 time derby winner Yellow Legged Claret. Nice station and wine red in color. I just don't know where he got his Claret from.

TEDCHERR
    Last edited by Pelton; May 20th, 2008 at 04:19 AM.