Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yellow Legged Clarets?

blastpak

Re: Yellow Legged Clarets?

I got Griffin Clarets and they come yellow-legged.
    Here's how they look like (this is Jimmie Johnson's)

Not too yellow legs though...
    Last edited by blastpak; July 22nd, 2008 at 10:06 AM.

CAN /MINDORO /NEGROS OCC. Talisay City -WWW.romy3388multiply.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

my white clarets has a light yellow legs

Post Thanks / Like

video sparring of my yellow legged griffin claret:

http://cbrgamefarm.multiply.com/video/item/4/sparring

here is a picture of him:

http://cbrgamefarm.multiply.com/phot...3/Broodcocks#1

cromon.

blastpak

Wow! That's a beauty, Cromon...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hardtail70 View Post
    I bought a trio off a local guy here in Tennessee and he was nice enough to give me a couple dozen eggs out of his brood pens. Of those eggs I had 3 Clarets to hatch... all with yellow legs. I've only seen white legged ones before (I never noticed what the color legs the chickens in the brood pen had). Is this some older breed or just a fluke?
    Madigan clarets are yellow legged

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Madigan clarets don't come yellow leg.not pure 1s.griffin Moore will come yellow leg.we can have had the Madigan clarets since the 40s never ever got a yellow leg

Post Thanks / Like

I have the rare YL Howard belk clarets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irisheyes485 View Post
    Madigan clarets don't come yellow leg.not pure 1s.griffin Moore will come yellow leg.we can have had the Madigan clarets since the 40s never ever got a yellow leg
    so you know more than Madigan? He said his self they come yellow and white leg. I have a family that will throw a yellow leg ever year or two.

9. Likes spring creek, Mike Everett liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some just make up there own history no matter what the original breeder says Lol none yellow huh I think the daddy was yl

11. Likes spring creek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If a man says his clarets don't come yellow legged, then they don't come yellow legged. Especially after owning them for 75+ years, doesn't matter what the original breeder said after 3/4 of a century guess who's fowl they are.
    Example I obtained a nic of battlefowl in 08'. Straight comb, yellow leg, wine red cock over pea combed, pearl legged wheaton hens. I have been line breeding them for a decade w/ no new blood and they come 100% straight comb (I thought pea was dominant), 90% yellow legged, and mostly spangled but always off color. I honestly can't tell you if they been coming this way from day 1 cause all these traits mean squat to me.lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
    If a man says his clarets don't come yellow legged, then they don't come yellow legged. Especially after owning them for 75+ years, doesn't matter what the original breeder said after 3/4 of a century guess who's fowl they are.
    Example I obtained a nic of battlefowl in 08'. Straight comb, yellow leg, wine red cock over pea combed, pearl legged wheaton hens. I have been line breeding them for a decade w/ no new blood and they come 100% straight comb (I thought pea was dominant), 90% yellow legged, and mostly spangled but always off color. I honestly can't tell you if they been coming this way from day 1 cause all these traits mean squat to me.lol
    True, but the man said Madigin Clarets don't come yl..which is a false statement. Pure Pea comb is dominate, not all pc are pure some carry recessive str8 comb genes, and once the recessive is expressed and bred to another recessive the pC gene is gone and all your offspring will be str8 c.

14. Likes southernX, ticc, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Madigan Claret will come yellow legged I had a friend that had the yellow legged Madigan for many years up until he passed and there's guys on hear that knew him his name was George Lay I've tried tracking some of it down for years a d I guess it's all gone but anyway Herman Pinion even had the yellow legged ones.

Post Thanks / Like

So your saying if you breed to the recessive trait it becomes dominate? I have never crossed these w/ anything but straight comb fowl and I imagine that neither side of that battlecross was pure. As to the madigans I guess he should of said his madigans, To me I just call clarets white hackles lol. But to me all american fowl are white hackles, roundheads, hatch or brown reds or grades

Post Thanks / Like

So what do greys and toppies get called

Post Thanks / Like

as to grey the question has always been which came first the grey or red. There is supposedly grey in the white hackle background or was it the other way around? The only green legged grey I know of that isn't hatch influenced is the Joe Redmond and it has red quill in its background. And I don't know anything, but before I knew what a toppy was I knew what a flarry eyed grey was. I do this cause it is easier to understand what to expect. If I say hatch you roughly know how that bird is gonna act, same w/ the others. I could break it down further ( ask me and hatch ain't nothing but a white hackle roundhead browned. round head ain't nothing but a white hackle grade) but with those terms I can vaguely know how the bird is gonna act.

19. Likes ticc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All that said I am partial to white hackle, though I have a new respect for the Law grey thanks to BamaOkie R.I.P.

21. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
    So your saying if you breed to the recessive trait it becomes dominate? I have never crossed these w/ anything but straight comb fowl and I imagine that neither side of that battlecross was pure. As to the madigans I guess he should of said his madigans, To me I just call clarets white hackles lol. But to me all american fowl are white hackles, roundheads, hatch or brown reds or grades
    No it doesn't become dominant, It takes two genes to express it's self. Dominant only takes one gene. It replaces the p gene not just cover it up.
    Last edited by Mike Everett; April 18th, 2018 at 08:51 PM.

23. Thanks countrygun thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Way back when the first Clarets we got were from Lights Out. The white ones. The first cock was corn-yellow legged. He supposed to have the purest clarets around. They long gone now.......

Post Thanks / Like

Madigan said both the reds an the Grey's would come yellow legged.because both carry the same blood.i know how long I've had mlne.i know they r some of the best I have.the only down fall to mine.notice I said mine.they will hit u so hard they will break they're on legs.this clarets were on the farm before I was.i have never had mine there's that word again.to come yellow legged.mine over time has been bred 3 ways.light red dark red and spangled.an yes every now an then I will even get a white 1.they all will cut u to death and like I said they will hit u so hard they break they're on legs. So yes powerful an game ain't the word.tje Madigan clarets r pearl leg the Grey's r yellow leg.but I like y'all have seen the Grey's come pearl and the clarets yellow. But as far as my clarets they have never throw me a yellow leg claret.i know the history of the clarets just like y'all. Madigan bred the clarets to come pearl leg.just like the Grey's to come yellow.

26. Likes DenDog, CIGAR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

hh moores and griffins throw yl's..... hanky deans throw light yl every so often most clarets should be wl and madigan was a very secret person keep a lot to himself so these books that i have along with others might be a bit twisted same as i was told that in the history books in school it says american indians moved to reservations to make room for overseas people now if thats true whats this world coming too

28. Thanks KevinG thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spring creek View Post
    Madigan Claret will come yellow legged I had a friend that had the yellow legged Madigan for many years up until he passed and there's guys on hear that knew him his name was George Lay I've tried tracking some of it down for years a d I guess it's all gone but anyway Herman Pinion even had the yellow legged ones.
    I knew Mr. Lay. He also had Lacy RH and crossed them with Claret. I don't know for sure but would bet big that he got them from Gene Hill. Gene rode a train to Madigan's place in NY to get the Clarets and stayed and worked for Madigan for 1 yr. to get the Clarets. Gene died sometime inn the 80s or early 90s and he was past 80 when he died. His Clarets were mostly above 5.8 lb. Dark wine red straight comb and YL. He stated to me and my 2 cousins when he was at Madigan's, all the Clarets were YL and that the WL came later. He gave my cousin the last broodpen of his Clarets. Cock was big, st. comb, wine red, YL . Hens were dark wheaten, YL. These fowl old when my cousin got them. 1 cock and 2 hens.

30. Thanks CIGAR thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes George and his family was and are good friends George grandson and granddaughter still have his roundheads and sweater blood but the last clarets they got to but never raised any of them the claret cock wasn't fertile

Post Thanks / Like

These are the YL rare Clarets.
    Last edited by tonetone559; April 25th, 2018 at 04:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Many, many years back a good friend bought and gave to me a very LIGHT Yellow Legged Claret from Lanky Luke Farms out of Kennedy, TX along with his supposed mother which was a small hen. Thinking back his leg color was almost like that of what one would call the darker shade of an egg when compared to the white ones. At the time I thought the good ones only came dark red and white legged with the ever sought after black spurs lol, so needless to say I was skeptical at first. He was not the typical dark Claret look but rather light in color and not small by any means, big bird. Despite my ignorance and misinformed stereotype at the time, he showed alot of potential but I lost him before anything cld be done with him in terms of breeding and or crossing him. I must say I was surprised with his speed and agility, that bird opened my eyes to the fact that there were YL Clarets out there that were no joke . Wish I cld have that one back! Oh well so it goes...... Good day
    Semper Fidelis
    Last edited by KevinG; April 25th, 2018 at 06:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
    Many, many years back a good friend bought and gave to me a very LIGHT Yellow Legged Claret from Lanky Luke Farms out of Kennedy, TX along with his supposed mother which was a small hen. Thinking back his leg color was almost like that of what one would call the darker shade of an egg when compared to the white ones. At the time I thought the good ones only came dark red and white legged with the ever sought after black spurs lol, so needless to say I was skeptical at first. He was not the typical dark Claret look but rather light in color and not small by any means, big bird. Despite my ignorance and misinformed stereotype at the time, he showed alot of potential but I lost him before anything cld be done with him in terms of breeding and or crossing him. I must say I was surprised with his speed and agility, that bird opened my eyes to the fact that there were YL Clarets out there that were no joke . Wish I cld have that one back! Oh well so it goes...... Good day
    Semper Fidelis
    A good example of how lessons are learned in this interestingly enjoyable sport of kings.

35. Likes roostercm, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FILAMEX View Post
    A good example of how lessons are learned in this interestingly enjoyable sport of kings.
    Yes sir, indeed. They say wise men never stop learning, and there is always something to be acquired.

37. Likes roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
    Yes sir, indeed. They say wise men never stop learning, and there is always something to be acquired.
    Hope that's true, as I am hopping to have some higher stationed or taller chickens( like your avatar stag) with goood cutting abilities. Otherwise, I will also be saying, I wish I did not discard those low to medium Blues I had before.

39. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FILAMEX View Post
    Hope that's true, as I am hopping to have some higher stationed or taller chickens( like your avatar stag) with goood cutting abilities. Otherwise, I will also be saying, I wish I did not discard those low to medium Blues I had before.
    . I hear you! I hope they come out for you and best wishes.

Post Thanks / Like

This Brood is suppose to be a blonde Rollen Griffin Claret his off spring throws 10 percent green blues legs from the democrat blood used to freshen them up.
    80 percent Yellow leg got a pair from the Alabama auction last year from an old man Charlie Smith. Got them to breed them to my Howard belk yellow legged claret.
    Last edited by tonetone559; April 28th, 2018 at 10:26 AM.

42. Likes shufflehard, Sig1911, KAHUNA NO KA OI liked this post