Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Half brother/sister mating...

Post Thanks / Like

Half brother/sister mating...

Just want some info.on this kind of breeding method..Anyone ever tried this?Success? Is this Line breeding or inbreeding? Any input will be appreciated..many thanks..Mon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Half brother/sister mating...

inbreeding. Actually line breeding is breeding back to one specific individual.

al

Post Thanks / Like

I've made this mating many times the best Brood cock on my yard is 1/2 brotherx1/2 sister mating. It is actually both line breeding and inbreeding. Many cockers have always misinterped linebreeding as breeding directly to a specific individual a number of times and most gamefowl people except this, but if you read genetics or breeding methods, linebreeding is defined as breeding to an individual in increments on both sides such as Frank Shy (Narragansett) recommended.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Everett,

do you apply this method to your HH Moore Claret family also ?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I use this method of breeding along with other variations. Linebreeding can also be a grandfather to his granddaughter or grandmother to her grandson. I try to get the good genes of an individual, without getting the inbreeding coffeient too great. Sometimes I do breed alittle close. The cock(1/2 brother/sister) a Moore cock, I talked about earlier, I bred to his daughters then took the pullets and mated to another H.H. Moore cock of one of my other lines, this produced some very fine fowl.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,
    Isn't line breeding just a form of inbreeding?

Al

Post Thanks / Like

Yes... it is. Inbreeding is defined as breeding two related individuals.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, just clarifying because as far as i know it. Linebreeding is a multiple process. Since he just stated that he wants to breed half brother half sister without any other process afterwards, i called that inbreeding.

Al

Post Thanks / Like

1/2 brother/sister is a Linebreeding because the same cock or hen was used to produce this 1/2 sib mating. The resulting individual had to have one parent in common, thus by definition that ancestor was repeated twice in the breeding....thus line breeding or multiple breeding to an individual.

Post Thanks / Like

But you haven't increased the blood percent of that certain individual. You just have maintained the 1/2 blood of the same parent individual. I thought line breeding is increasing the blood percentage of a certain individual to make it more homozygous to that certain individual.

Al

Post Thanks / Like

Blooded horse and other animals have been bred this way for generations. As I said gamebreeders for the most part believe linebreed is defined as you say and I agree that it is a form of linebreeding, just look up the diffinition of linebreeding. If you bred with a common ancestor on all four sides wouldn't that is considered linebreeding, we are trying to concentrate genes not blood. You are may call it 3/4 blood, but there is no way you can truely determine the gene allacation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock96
    But you haven't increased the blood percent of that certain individual. You just have maintained the 1/2 blood of the same parent individual. I thought line breeding is increasing the blood percentage of a certain individual to make it more homozygous to that certain individual.

Al
    yeah.. you get 1/4 of each diff. blood of the two sibling parents..that would be a battlecross 3 way combination..

Post Thanks / Like

A top cocker told me he likes to breed brother sister and it has kept the line going. I think the is talking about breeding of the same line so there is no 1/4 or 1/2 of other lines.

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting....Thanks....keep them coming
    Last edited by mon santos; June 16th, 2008 at 10:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

mon santos,
    do you mean brother to sister mating? half brother/sister mating means that only one of their parents are the same.
    nilo

Post Thanks / Like

Nilo..Half bro/sis.mating,yes,same father..Thanks
    Last edited by mon santos; June 16th, 2008 at 10:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mon santos
    Just want some info.on this kind of breeding method..Anyone ever tried this?Success? Is this Line breeding or inbreeding? Any input will be appreciated..many thanks..Mon
    the offsprings will be a 4-way cross...................

select a winner BC and mate him to his half sister.......................

but as always encountered.................... some will be outstanding............... ang others are good for cull.............

Post Thanks / Like

dinopatani,
    a cock, whose father is a dink fair x gilmore and a hen whose father is the same dink fair and say a roundhead, the cock & hen are half sibling because they have the same father, so the outcome will be 1/2 dink fair 1/4 gilmore 1/4 roundhead.
    not unless one of them is a 3 way cross.
    nilo

Post Thanks / Like

bump.....up...up..

dogmancarter

i think it is good to breed 1/2 brother to 1/2 sister. there is alot of good that can come out from it. i am caurrently two pairs like that and i am ancious to get the results.

Post Thanks / Like

up....up....up...up

Post Thanks / Like

We Could Just Ask Alabama White About It,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,pongkol Pasok,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dogmancarter
    i think it is good to breed 1/2 brother to 1/2 sister. there is alot of good that can come out from it. i am caurrently two pairs like that and i am ancious to get the results.
    Hi dog,
    what strain did you try the 1/2. sib mating ?
    keep us posted.

Post Thanks / Like

im going to try this ill probley make a mess of this. But here goes.
    If you take a dink fair sweater lets say he is paint the colar yellow. and breed him to a kelso hen she is paint the coler red. you raise ten differnt shades of orange. none exactly the exact shade of orange but orange none the less.

now you take the same rooster dink fair (yellow) and breed him to col. givens hen lets say she is the coler blue paint you and up with ten differnt shades of green.

here is where im really going to mess this up but im going to try. why would you mix the 1/2 brother(orange) + sister(green) =??????????

i think if you breed both 1/2 sisters back to the father you will get closer to his color (yellow) say two generations both lines now are closer to his traits and color. which is why you picked him for a broodcock any way now breed 1/2 bro and sis. This way takes some of the guess work out.

did this make any since??????

Post Thanks / Like

breed for the color you want but start with the right base coler and change the shade a little at a time. dont start mixing base colors together left and right youll make a mess.

Post Thanks / Like

lkystrk,
    if you are breeding for color, then the dominant color will come out, the example you gave is kind of hard to determine, but if you are breeding for traits, the higher the % of whichever trait you breed is what you will get, i'll try to use your example(the birds, not the coclor) let say you breed dink fair x kelso= 1/2 df 1/2 k and you breed df x col. given= 1/2 df 1/2 col. givens and if you breed 1/2 df 1/2 k X 1/2 df 1/2 cg = 1/2 df 1/4k 1/4 cg. the main reason we breed the father to the daughter is for us to get a higher % of the df blood which is 50% on the breeding example we made. df x 1/2 df 1/2 k= 3/4 df 1/4 k, which is basically more on the df blood.
    hope this will help,
    nilo

Post Thanks / Like

We've been doing full sib mating with one of our crosses. a 50/50 albany/gilmore stag mated to his full sis pullet, they did well and the fighting style is still the same no depresions. we then made a full sib mating out of the progenies, then we had some throw backs of pure white plummage and blue legs. there was also some inbreeding depressions like crooked back bones but we did a strict selection and used the good ones for crossing to other lines, then we had winners more supperb than the original albany/gilmore cross. Now we are maintaining our red albany/gilmore and white.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Half brother/sister mating...

Quote Originally Posted by nilodeleon
    lkystrk,
    if you are breeding for color, then the dominant color will come out, the example you gave is kind of hard to determine, but if you are breeding for traits, the higher the % of whichever trait you breed is what you will get, i'll try to use your example(the birds, not the coclor) let say you breed dink fair x kelso= 1/2 df 1/2 k and you breed df x col. given= 1/2 df 1/2 col. givens and if you breed 1/2 df 1/2 k X 1/2 df 1/2 cg = 1/2 df 1/4k 1/4 cg. the main reason we breed the father to the daughter is for us to get a higher % of the df blood which is 50% on the breeding example we made. df x 1/2 df 1/2 k= 3/4 df 1/4 k, which is basically more on the df blood.
    hope this will help,
    nilo

up up,very informative topic

Post Thanks / Like

i do it the other way around, i prefer 50/50 bro. sis mating on the hen side, works well with me, then breed offspring from the same family to maintain the line.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your input..keep them coming...