Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: thai gamefowls

rob_roi

Re: thai gamefowls

hi sir onadski,

it was by accident. the claret raped the thai (gameboy line)

we don't have any shamo line so i ask lawrence if i can buy one.
    he doesn't let go of his pure though so he gave me a cross
    1/2 shamo 1/4cobra 1/4brazillian 4mos old (september 2007)
    also he gave me a 1/2shamo 1/4cobra 1/4thai 2mos old as a gift
    i like gameboy's thai line rather than his brzilian
    i don't have their offsprings though to test the quality of their stags

i'll be sending him an offspring of his thai hen crossed to our palau line

i am crossing my pure thai hen right now
    i'm adding more gameness and power (from reza types)
    then i'll line breed her over and over again to produce a seedfowl

competition here are pitting more and more huge fowls
    the only thing we can get even is to produce this thai
    (as the cocks matures at 3.5kg on the ave) with more gameness and power

rob_roi

Birds of a royal feather

The royal fighting cock was once the pride of the northern province of Phitsanulok and one dedicated vet is trying to preserve the purest breed of all, because not just any cock will doodle-do

CHOMPOO TRAKULLERTSATHIEN
    It is as though Sai Thong knew it had been blessed by Mother Nature. The two-year-old rooster, head held high and chest out, boasts a perfectly shaped scarlet crest and wattle, elegant yellow feathers and long white tail, slightly curled at the tip. Its crow, loud and clear, fills the air, making its presence felt. Sai Thong also has vigorous wings and strong legs that allow it to move fast, and its sharp spurs are a most powerful weapon that can blind its opponents.
    Known in Thai simply as kai lueng hang khao (literally "yellow chicken with a white tail"), Sai Thong is of a very special breed, blessed with beauty and grace, strength and a fighting spirit. It is believed that he belongs to a superior clan of royal fighting cocks once popular during the Ayutthaya period.
    Some even go as far as praising its ancestor, believed to have been kept by King Naresuan the Great, for its "heroic act" of defeating the Royal Burmese fighting cock. Some historical records state that the king, who was born in Chan palace in Phitsanulok, had a passion for cock fighting, and he had brought with him his favourite pet when taken prisoner by the Burmese. The Thai cock is said to have "often conquered" its Burmese opponents.
    Unfortunately, only few people today know about this most accomplished fighter. Worse still, inbreeding and cross breeding has resulted in an ever-increasing population of the hybrid. A pure breed has become a rarity.
    One person has been working hard to reinstate the kai lueng hang khao in its rightful place.
    Kai lueng hang khao was then named after King Naresuan the Great-Phra Naresuan the Great fighting cock. That title is the brainchild of Dr Nisit Tangtrakarnpong, whose attempt is to restore the kai lueng hang khao to its native Phitsanulok province.
    The vet has launched several long-term conservation campaigns. His string of achievements include the establishment of the Phra Naresuan the Great Fighting Cock Conservation Clubs in 12 districts throughout the province with some 450 members, and the achievement of developing the pure breed of kai lueng hang khao. "Our main purpose is to develop, reproduce, and keep the pure breed as the national legacy. Besides, chicken farmers can raise the fowl for commercial purposes," he said.
    His inspiration to bring the kai lueng hang khao back to Phitsanulok took shape some 30 years ago.
    "I learned from many fighting cock devotees that the birds were once teeming in the area. I was also impressed by their heroic acts after reading several historical records. And I would like to return the brave creature to my local community," said Dr Nisit who was granted the 1995 Exemplary Veterinarian Award from the Veterinary Association of Thailand in the field of social services. Dr Nisit enriched himself with a wealth of information on kai lueng hang khao through various means.
    "I read as much as I could. Old villagers were also my key informants. I also went to Wat Suwandararam in Ayutthaya where the mural paintings feature fighting scenes between the Thai and the Burmese roosters [one belongs to King Naresuan and the other to the Burmese king]," he said. In those days, the fighting cock was an integral part of the royal sport and also the old, popular form of entertainment among the noblemen, according to Dr Nisit.
    "There were only two species of the fighting cock in ancient times, some 500 years ago, namely, pra doo hang dumand kai lueng hang khao," explained the vet. The fighting sport has long been woven into the local way of life. The combat between two robust roosters is currently a favourite form of amusement in rural areas. In addition, newer varieties of the creature have long been developed with the same mission-to breed the most perfect fighting cock. According to Dr Nisit, Ban Krang is the birthplace of kai lueng hang khao. Villagers there still practise the traditional game of cock fighting on festive occasions. "Ninety-year-old Chit Phet-orn, who is a regular fan at the fighting cock gambling house, told me that Ban Krang once was popular for its fighting cocks, often the winners of the matches. And villagers of the new generation are taught that kai lueng hang khao is a dignified animal belonging to the royal family," explained Dr Nisit.
    But no one could define the exact traits of the creature. The opportune time came when the celebration of the 400th Anniversary Ascension to the Throne of King Naresuan the Great was held in the province in 1990. As part of the festive activities, Dr Nisit conducted a fighting cock competition as a way to find the perfect fowl and record all prominent characteristics.
    His initiative resulted in immense feedback from the chicken owners. "Unbelievably, some 633 fighting cocks joined the contest. That meant we could select more fine fowls. I thoroughly recorded some 30 specific traits," said the vet.
    But over the three decades of inter and cross-breeding, the population of hybrid birds outnumber those of the pure breed. Therefore, Dr Nisit's mammoth task is to breed these hybrid creatures to find the pure breed. "To preserve the pure breed, we need to find more fowls that carry all good traits of the Phra Naresuan the Great fighting cock and then reproduce and make the species intact," explained Dr Nisit.
    In 1992, Dr Nisit bought 70 hens and 20 roosters for his breeding experiment. He also set up the fighting cock conservation clubs in several communities and distributed those birds to start the trial.
    Dr Nisit also wrote a book entitled Kai Chon Phra Naresuan Maharaja (Phra Naresuan the Great Fighting Cock). The 117-page pocket-book compiles different topics relevant to the fowl like the legend of the fighting cock, its characteristics, diseases, and how to train the young rooster. The Phra Naresuan the Great fighting cock currently is popular among fighting-cock connoisseurs and is a hot commodity in the animal markets. With higher demand from local and foreign markets, fighting-cock farming is a lucrative business in several districts of Phitsanulok, generating a hefty income for many local people. "Thanks to the creature, villagers can bring in more money. We have a better life. As my chicken business becomes lucrative, more and more villagers follow suit," said Somkid Khumchai, whose fowls are considered one of the purest breeds by many fighting cock admirers. Several farms in Phitsanulok province now welcome numerous fighting-cock fans a day. Those exemplary roosters are sold for a princely sum.
    "A young chick is priced at 5,000 baht. The price for a mature bird soars to 10,000 baht," said Somkid. According to Dr Nisit, chicken farmers hold many beliefs when it comes to the preparation of making the nest for newborn chicks. Several items are placed under the nest, including a piece of broken wood struck by thunderbolt, the shedded skin of a snake, gold, a bamboo pole used to carry baskets on either end, broken naturally, and Cynodon dactylon or yaa prak (a kind of grass). "Each different thing carries different meanings. The piece of broken wood is believed to make the fowl hit its opponent accurately and powerfully. The snake skin can make the shins of the creature poisonous. Gold brightens the colour of the feathers. And the shoulder pole can help the rooster subdue the opponent. And after being beaten black and blue the cock can recover easily like the grass," explained Dr Nisit.
    To keep developing the breed, Dr Nisit frequently visits each chicken farm and exchanges knowledge with fighting-cock connoisseurs. His future plans include the inauguration of the Phra Naresuan the Great Fighting Cock Association of Thailand and patenting the breed.
    "Now we are trying to keep the blood lineage. My ultimate goal is to breed the pedigree. Kai lueng hang khao is part of our country's history. And to keep the creature alive is to keep history alive," said Dr Nisit.

onadski

Quote Originally Posted by rob_roi
    hi sir onadski,

it was by accident. the claret raped the thai (gameboy line)

we don't have any shamo line so i ask lawrence if i can buy one.
    he doesn't let go of his pure though so he gave me a cross
    1/2 shamo 1/4cobra 1/4brazillian 4mos old (september 2007)
    also he gave me a 1/2shamo 1/4cobra 1/4thai 2mos old as a gift
    i like gameboy's thai line rather than his brzilian
    i don't have their offsprings though to test the quality of their stags

i'll be sending him an offspring of his thai hen crossed to our palau line
    http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e..._roi/palau.jpg

i am crossing my pure thai hen right now
    i'm adding more gameness and power (from reza types)
    then i'll line breed her over and over again to produce a seedfowl

competition here are pitting more and more huge fowls
    the only thing we can get even is to produce this thai
    (as the cocks matures at 3.5kg on the ave) with more gameness and power
    sir you got a nice bird
    hope you get what you want with your
    crosses,btw sir rob were is you located
    is there any naked heelers here in bulacan

rob_roi

hi sir onadski

i'm in south cotabato. by day, i tend my business in sultan kudarat and in maguindanao
    i'm not sure if there are nakedheel fights in bulacan.
    there are buyers of orientals here who fights in calamba and cainta. they're not members of any site though.
    here in the south, when you see a moslem community in an area, you'll mostly find an opponent or if your lucky, a ring for boxing.
    if there is a thread here for bulakenyos, hopefully they can point you to one if there is.
    goodluck sir. btw, did you post your thai cross from gameboy? he told me that the broodfowl was 1/2 leung hang khao

onadski

Quote Originally Posted by rob_roi
    hi sir onadski

i'm in south cotabato. by day, i tend my business in sultan kudarat and in maguindanao
    i'm not sure if there are nakedheel fights in bulacan.
    there are buyers of orientals here who fights in calamba and cainta. they're not members of any site though.
    here in the south, when you see a moslem community in an area, you'll mostly find an opponent or if your lucky, a ring for boxing.
    if there is a thread here for bulakenyos, hopefully they can point you to one if there is.
    goodluck sir. btw, did you post your thai cross from gameboy? he told me that the broodfowl was 1/2 leung hang khao
    yes sir i post the pic of the 3 chicken
    i got from gameboy
    here in this thread
    hope i get a graded oriental that is good in lk
    with the bird i got from gameboy

onadski

lets put this up

rob_roi

hi pogipoint,

i only have the pure broodhen. the pure cocks were sold years back. our linebred stags with her (75%) were already taken to iloilo. only week old chicks (50% thai 50%basilan) are available but i haven't tested this line yet. we are breeding her right now to a 50% brazilian 50% malaysian cock ( http://www.ganoi.com/photopost/showp...&ppuser=107508 ) other thais are already less than 50% (from her stags/pullets and the chicks from the thai cross from gameboy (25%))

btw, i'm from marbel. my work is in tacurong ang isulan.

btw sorry i can't reply to your pm. it says it exceeded its limit already thus you have to clear some for us to pm you. sorry

Post Thanks / Like

hello rob,

thanks for sharing what locker means.. i have been reading about it(super lock, locker, etc..) a lot at ganoi before..

also nice history of the kai lueng hang khao.. i know there are many other reads of other types of Thais but we just can't understand their language and if we translate it with babelfish, i don't think it will come out the way they meant to say it in their national language, we will just misintrepret it..

for crossing Thais for knife fighting, i think the Spur-type will more likely to beget offsprings that will be good for the long knife even at 50-50s and will not take several years to develop..

here are some 1/4Thai pullets:

Post Thanks / Like

nice thread guys, im impressed!

onadski

hello sir rob how's your chicken today
    hope thier good

rob_roi

hi draven,

nice pullets. they all look like they're pure western game already.
    can't tell the difference goodluck with them.
    btw, in derbies, how do they call the graded fowls?
    like for example, before the fight they call the bloodline first (e.g. roundhead sweater lemon kelso etc) how about the oriental grades?

anyway, about the spurred type thai, i don't know how long the spurs grow but i'm beginning to think that this is more of the Leung Hang Khao(northern thai). although i have some crosses that are %LHK, and does not have any spurs, readings and pictures of pure LHK suggests that these birds have spurs that can blind the opponent. and that they are the faster variety. As Leung Hang Kao in thai translates to yellow body and white tail. i guess the white tail can also be said to be spangled since it is said to be the top feathers of the tail. the body should be black with yellow-red feathers at the back...
    now with the other variety, the pradu hang dan (southern thai), brown body black tail, is said to be the bigger variety and is known to be the ancestors of the japanese shamo (16th century).. this, i believe, is the most common fowl used for naked heel and is specially popular in indonesia (known as "ayam bangkok"). Indonesia which is much closer to mindanao. that is why, maybe, most thais that are found here from seasoned breeders are the big ones (as they are the forefathers of shamo). and most of them, doesn't have spurs.. old folks here wouldn't believe you if you tell them you have a thai with spurs... they would tell you that it's not pure

hi sir onadski,

eggs from my thai cross (from gameboy) are hatching already. i'll post pics of the chicks once i have them

onadski

good day sir rob
    thats good hope your chicks hatch
    in good condition

ill post also my chicks if
    i got time to get a picture of them

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: thai gamefowls

hello rob,

i think this would be the pradu hang dan (southern thai):
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...1/DarkThai.jpg

i took this picture from my friend Glenn Lim's farm when I visited him last saturday.. he told me this is his Thai fowl.

in knife fights, we don't call what bloodline is fighting against what bloodline before a fight.. here in cebu whenever they see an oriental looking rooster, it's either "Bisaya" or "Asil".. hehe.. generalizing again.. i never knew that in nakedheels, they call the bloodline before each fight, that is a great way to know which blood is really a winning line.. in knife we just guess the bloodline depending on the plumage.. not very reliable..

please continue posting those histories, i am learning more about Thai from your posts.. i now know why it was thought that Thais are only good for nakedheels, i think those are the ones that goes to you guys because of the preference of your fights which is nakedheels.. on the while there is another variety of Thai that are faster and smaller and is fought in natural or artificial spurs..

onadski

ill put this up

rob_roi

hi draven,

i've seen this sagupaan fights on tv and they were giving the names of the line before the fight (like for example, "meron" mclean hatch / "wala" yellow legged hatch) i thought it was a practice in derbies

refering to your pic, my friend in iloilo would call that as black pradu hang dan.
    most breeders would call them as such or simply as black thai. there are breeders here that would only stick to this line and they won't sell you any.
    there are also breeders who have these pradu hang dan which is brown in body with black tail feathers. this type is harder to find. (JDL of sulu have these)

my friends black thai broodhen

http://www.ganoi.com/photopost/showp...&ppuser=107508